360 vs ps3

Yeah, you literally have to sit there and watch a black screen with a progress bar until it's finished downloading and then install. The downloading bit should be done entirely in the background so I can do other things on my system.

tFtfA.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're no more terrible for PC gaming than they are for console gaming. There is nothing special about a console output that makes it look better on a TV. You can even hook your PC up to a monitor and a HDTV at the same time. You could even have them in different rooms if you wanted (Although I believe HDMI is limited to 25 feet).

PC gamers using HDTV are at a disadvantage against PC gamers using a monitor. How you can call yourself a "PC gamer", tout PC superiority and not know this is ridiculous.

The bolded quote also shows you don't really know anything. Console games are designed and developed with using a TV in mind. PC games don't. Let alone the actual console...

It's one of the reasons why PC gamers hate games that are ported from consoles.

3b5b45e3_vbattach166719.jpeg

$274 without a mouse, keyboard, and OS. Well thought out, lol. The cheapest a person should go building a PC is $500. This trash won't play any game that came out this year on medium settings.

And consoles don't work like this. Just because you see a console "specs", you assume a PC with better specs means it's better. Consoles are more efficient at playing games than regular PCs. You can even say consoles were designed for games and PCs aren't ;). There is no "gaming" operating system for PC. There's a bloated Windows OS and that's it.

Yeah, you literally have to sit there and watch a black screen with a progress bar until it's finished downloading and then install. The downloading bit should be done entirely in the background so I can do other things on my system.

I think the 360 is like that though... I mean I've never tried exiting from an update screen on the Xbox but when I downloaded the Reach map pack for Anniversary, if I left the download screen, it paused the download, and the download itself took the best part of an hour.

It's daft, I know. I can understand them not allowing us to compete online while the download is taking place... the lag would be unplayable. But low bandwidth apps shouldn't be a problem... unsure.gif

I think the 360 is like that though... I mean I've never tried exiting from an update screen on the Xbox but when I downloaded the Reach map pack for Anniversary, if I left the download screen, it paused the download, and the download itself took the best part of an hour.

Yep, this is the case. To be fair, Steam does the same, though it doesn't prevent you from doing anything else on your computer at the same time, just like you can watch TV while you download something on your console.

Yep, this is the case. To be fair, Steam does the same, though it doesn't prevent you from doing anything else on your computer at the same time, just like you can watch TV while you download something on your console.

Steam does not do the same. It pauses any ongoing downloads if you boot up a game, but you can resume them just fine.

crossed_body.png

They're no more terrible for PC gaming than they are for console gaming. There is nothing special about a console output that makes it look better on a TV. You can even hook your PC up to a monitor and a HDTV at the same time. You could even have them in different rooms if you wanted (Although I believe HDMI is limited to 25 feet).

PC gamers using HDTV are at a disadvantage against PC gamers using a monitor. How you can call yourself a "PC gamer", tout PC superiority and not know this is ridiculous.

The bolded quote also shows you don't really know anything. Console games are designed and developed with using a TV in mind. PC games don't. Let alone the actual console...

I don't see how playing on my 120HZ tv puts me at a disadvantage against someone playing on a 60HZ monitor. Sure cheap ones might have a bit of input lag, but a good HDTV doesn't put you at a disadvantage.

And the reason PC gamers hate console ports is because they strip them of the extra features PC can handle, and don't properly optimize them. It has nothing to do with what display they're intended for.

Steam does not do the same. It pauses any ongoing downloads if you boot up a game, but you can resume them just fine.

This is what the 360 does as well.

Background downloading is available for PSN downloads only (e.g. demos, full games), updates for games and for the ps3 itself cannot be background downloaded.

I don't mind this personally as ps3 updates never take more than a 5 minutes with my internet connection (I admit, though, that I have a friend who waits 45 minutes for his PS3 updates), however something that makes the updating more bearable is switching to cable, you can be surprised how fast time can fly by :smile: .

22031_s.gif

The xbox can background download, I haven't seen it happen in a long while though. There is this thing with it that lets you download while it's off though.

I don't see how playing on my 120HZ tv puts me at a disadvantage against someone playing on a 60HZ monitor. Sure cheap ones might have a bit of input lag, but a good HDTV doesn't put you at a disadvantage.

And the reason PC gamers hate console ports is because they strip them of the extra features PC can handle, and don't properly optimize them. It has nothing to do with what display they're intended for.

Okay first of all, I'm not talking about hz. 120 hz is just marketing BS that you fell for.

What you need to look at is the response time (ms)

http://www.maximumpc...myths_shattered

Sony's published response time for this XBR model is 8ms. Since this corresponds to a double transition (from black to peak white, and then back to black again), the single transition time (from black to white, or from white to black) should therefore be about 4ms.

The upshot is that you're looking at a true response time of about 65ms. In fact, a response time of much less than the 8ms refresh rate would be needed for there to be no visible blur. Obviously, 65ms blur in the screen shots doesn't jibe with the manufacturer's single-transition response time spec of 4ms.

The DisplayMate tests clearly demonstrate that the Sony's real LCD response time is considerably longer than its published spec would indicate. And by no means are we picking on Sony, as it actually had the best performance of all of the LCDs in our tests.

Anyway this is beyond my initial point. This just shows how much more complicated PC gaming is vs the convenience of console gaming.Plug and play is superior. Everyone is on the same field.

Why is PC gaming better? It's not. But PC gamers need an excuse to make themselves feel better after investing more money than console users plus the cost of upgrading every year or every other year

Spend a little extra (keyword here being little) and get a completely 110% superior gaming experience, yeah doesn't sound worth it.

Also, my PC+game collection is half of the cost of a 360/ps3 with the same game library would be, just sayin'.

Edit: PC is far superior

My current computer was 900$ altogether and I've never played a shooter(or any game for that matter) at less than 60 fps.

Could you say you've done the same? I don't think so.

Enjoy the xbox720 for 600$ when it'll still be inferior to my machine(or most PCs for that matter)

If you don't mind answering how many games have you bought for your Xbox?

If you haven't bought 10 games since 1930 or whenever the xbox came out your opinion is useless anyway.

My machine will max anything in the next +- 5 years without a single upgrade, when Microsoft decides it's time to scam some more money the 720 will still be inferior.

This is not to mention very few games PC users actually have to buy.

PC is better whether you want to realize it or not.

and if you have a PS3 I hope you enjoy watching movies.

Read: no games

enaidlool.png

If you quote me please be sure to note that I'm extremely mad.

Spend a little extra (keyword here being little) and get a completely 110% superior gaming experience, yeah doesn't sound worth it.

Also, my PC+game collection is half of the cost of a 360/ps3 with the same game library would be, just sayin'.

Edit: PC is far superior

PC is far superior in terms of expenses. I definitely agree :lol:

So far in this thread all PC gamers use for their argument is "PC gaming is superior" and repeating it over and over.

The fact is it's not. It's a different experience altogether.

Keeping in mind that I prefer the PC here...

I feel like a huge portion of this would rely on what sort of experience your after. If your into using or creating mods, then you need a computer. Same if you want maximum performance (in which case you need a computer so expensive that you could probably buy all the consoles for the same price). If you want plug and play, or don't ever want to worry about whether your system can run the game, and do it well, then you want a console.

They simply come with less baggage. They don't have compatibility issues, they don't play games poorly, and they tend to live very long lives without failure.

Computers cost more in the long run, especially with upgrades and I suspect higher part failure rates from greater usage stemming from non gaming uses, they take more time and effort to set up, they have way more issues with being able to actually run programs.

It really comes down to what you want to spend, and what sort of experience you want.

For me, its easier to get a computer that does it all. I already have one, so why not spend the money and get a nice one that can play all my games. It's worth noting that I play very few games that you would find on a console anyway, because quite frankly I hate most console games. I haven't bought a console since the original xbox, and I doubt I will ever consider it again until I am potentially buying one for my future children. I like the control, and I like having everything in one package, and I have enough know how to deal with all the bull that goes into keeping my computer running well. But if I was trying to save money, I'd but a little browsing computer and a console, and the $400+ left over would pay for the difference in price for the games.

Oh, and no. People don't react well to 'I'm right your wrong so thbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt'. We are naturally programmed to defend our stance, and saying things like that forces people onto the defensive. The more you try to hammer something like that into people, the more they are going to shut down and stop listening to you, because we are social creatures that evolved to interact a certain way, and proving we are dominate takes precedence to being right. You can't get any place in an argument if you challenge dominance like that.

Maybe if you could read. :thumbsup:

Nobody is debating it's a different experience, we're just stating that the PC gaming experience is far superior. (fact)

Again, you will spend far more on consoles than I will ever being on the PC, go on though.

I think there's a good point how consoles are easier since you just plug and play.

Also, as for people hating PC gamers, whether or not PC is better is irrelevant when people make statements saying "PC is better whether you realize it or not." That's just arrogant.

Fyi, building a PC requires more effort then buying a gaming system. If you want a console type controller for the PC, you need to specifically go out and buy one.

I'm not saying this makes consoles better or equal to PCs, I'm saying consoles have certain advantages over PC. They tend to be more convenient.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Maybe if you could read. :thumbsup:

Nobody is debating it's a different experience, we're just stating that the PC gaming experience is far superior. (fact)

Again, you will spend far more on consoles than I will ever being on the PC, go on though.

If your going to suggest I read, then perhaps you should do the same.

First, I did the math again. If I had gotten a console instead of my current PC, I'd be up at least $700, probably closer to $900. The laptop it replaced is still a viable machine that could conceivably get me through school as is. It didn't require replacing. And the PC hasn't even gotten to upgrade time yet (minus the $80 or so second hard drive it now has).

Second, I brought up the point about what people want, because what gives you the best experience depends entirely on what you want to get out of said experience. You can't get a better experience out of computer if all it does is make you angry when you try to get it to work, where the console is plug and play and you never have to worry about it. This is why apple products are so popular with older people, because they've got usability down to a science like no one else (I am of course referring only to their tablets and phones here, not their computers). Anyone your going to find here probably belongs to the lucky segment of the population that is at lest semi technology literate. Most people are baffled by computers. Even people from the technology generation like myself are baffled by these mystical machines (by that I mean people my age, not me personally). They don't know how they work, and they sure don't know how to fix let along maintain then (which is why no one else will ever be allowed to use my computer). For most of the world, using a computer is a continuous exercise in frustration because they can't make them do what they want, and the computer is probably perpetually broken anyway. These people can never have a fun gaming experience on a PC, and will always prefer the console.

And also becuase I edited this in while people we're replying:

Oh, and no. People don't react well to 'I'm right your wrong so thbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt'. We are naturally programmed to defend our stance, and saying things like that forces people onto the defensive. The more you try to hammer something like that into people, the more they are going to shut down and stop listening to you, because we are social creatures that evolved to interact a certain way, and proving we are dominate takes precedence to being right. You can't get any place in an argument if you challenge dominance like that.

Even though my post wasn't directed at you, the point still stands and everything I said was valid.

Won't read your post because I cba and PC will still be superior if I waste the 30 seconds or not.

Keyword: experience. Experience is inherently subjective. You can not claim that a subjective experience interpreted in one way is in any way factual or representative of the whole. QED, you are wrong.

So now that we agree on PC being better, what now?

I put a few facts on page 3 I believe. Just a few, if you choose to not read these to benefit your argument then so be it.

enaidlool.png

If you quote me please be sure to note that I'm extremely mad.

This is getting ridiculous now. Can we give the "PC is superior" comment a rest? We've been saying the same damn thing for the past page, where the PC users are too blind to realize why console users are adamant about their consoles. Besides, this is a 360 vs PS3 thread, not a console vs. PC thread.

/rant over.

22031_s.gif