Why PC Gaming Sucks

Faux

Until PC gaming becomes 'mainstream' I'll stick to that opinion. If we assume that PC games are superior to their console counterparts--which, for what it's worth, I honestly believe that they are by virtue of the fact PCs are simply more powerful--then why are so many people still playing those very same games on consoles which provide an inferior experience?

The facts don't add up. If PC gaming really is better, then you have to concede that something, somewhere else, isn't going right.

It's accessible and cheap. You don't need to bother with system requirements or performance settings: everything works right out of the box and is pretty much guaranteed to work for the rest of the console's life span, and you don't have to know anything about the system to get it to work (Whereas if you want a good PC for cheap you'll probably have to build it yourself. If you can't do that you're out of luck). You just plug it in to your TV and can play whatever games you want.

With PCs, you have to put more effort into it, but you get more out of it. Consoles are the 'mainstream' option because most people just want to play the game, and there's nothing wrong with that.

• Like 2

Until PC gaming becomes 'mainstream' I'll stick to that opinion. If we assume that PC games are superior to their console counterparts--which, for what it's worth, I honestly believe that they are by virtue of the fact PCs are simply more powerful--then why are so many people still playing those very same games on consoles which provide an inferior experience?

This is similar to why you'll probably see more Toyota Corollas than Lexuses. Lower cost for a similar function. There are some obvious flaws with this analogy, but the basic idea is there.

That's an easy question to answer. Consoles appeal to the lowest common denominator: Kids and casual gamers. Not everybody has the know-how to build a decent computer, and not everybody feels the need to experience gaming at its best.

• Like 1
crossed_body.png

I don't get all the fuss about needing an amazing computer. I got my computer last year and the only thing I did was make sure it had an okay graphics card, unlike all my previous laptops. I just wanted to play Portal.

Seriously though, in the last half a year I've gotten back into gaming - I haven't properly played games since I used to have my PS2. Buying one game on Steam was like a gateway drug - you see how easy it is and then you want more and the next thing you know you've got nearly 50 games D= I just buy what I want, I don't worry about if I can play it or not. I have a decent enough computer that even if it won't run at the best graphics, it'll work and I'm fine with that.

Not to mention all my favourite games aren't even on Console. Civilization 5 anyone?

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Civilization Revolution was a pretty good game, even though it wasn't as in-depth as it's computer siblings.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

I just buy what I want, I don't worry about if I can play it or not.

Uhhh I would have thought that's kind of an important issue.

I don't *have* to worry about it because you don't need the top-end gaming rigs. If you've got a decent computer with an actual graphics card then you'll most likely be able to play games. My PC cost me about £300. It doesn't have to be very expensive.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Just looked on a UK general electronics site (Currys). A computer with 1GB of graphics memory dedicated costs at least £750. Granted, 1GB is only if you want the highest performance settings on, and it's definitely not the best place to buy a computer in the first place, but in many ways, we are missing the point, because that's where unknowledgable people would go to buy a PC, since it's a well known national brand with hundreds of stores across the country, and if unknowlegeable people get told by a smart-looking sales consultant, "You'll definitely need 1GB of graphics memory to play games well on a PC," they'll believe anything.

For £240, I can get the newest model of X360 with very little effort needed to set-up on my part. Literally, all I need is a wireless router, or a broadband cable, the console itself and a game, start my 1 month gold membership trial, and I'm good to go. What's more, I know pretty much every game available for the X360 works now, and pretty much every game yet to be released will work too.

I guess it's like football (soccer) being the most popular spectator sport in the world. Quite simply, it's the easiest to play and watch. Home consoles are just much easier to play than PCs and therefore have much more appeal, especially amongst children, younger teenagers and parents, even if PC gaming itself isn't necessarily worse.

Just looked on a UK general electronics site (Currys)

That was your first and last mistake. You don't buy prebuilt computers, ever. Your argument is PC gaming is worst because people are too stupid to buy in the right places?

Did you actually read his post or did you just decide to wing it based on that one sentence?

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

1GB Gfx memory isn't necessarily amazing; it will let you do a lot of textury stuff though.

The point raised still stands. To get the most out of a PC, you have to invest a lot more of time, effort to research to know what you're getting and of course money since the parts themselves are just expensive (a new higher end GPU will run more than a whole console system).

PC gaming is cheaper and easier than ever.

My $100 graphics cards lets me play all games on at least medium settings.

Whats a console $500?

I stopped bothering with them when my PS2 died and a PS3 was like $400.

I read that Xbox system had a 33% failure rate right out of the box.

Nice one Billy Gates...

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

PC gaming is cheaper and easier than ever.

My $100 graphics cards lets me play all games on at least medium settings.

Whats a console $500?

I stopped bothering with them when my PS2 died and a PS3 was like $400.

I read that Xbox system had a 33% failure rate right out of the box.

Nice one Billy Gates...

The failure rate was for the first year or so, they fixed their issue pretty quickly. I don't know where you overpaid for your graphics card, but my ~$100 graphics card plays all the games I have thrown at it at the highest graphical settings. Also the Xbox360 isn't anywhere close to what you think they are. They are actually $200 which is a lower amount than any computer I could build, especially when $150 of it is taken up by the Windows key.

especially when $150 of it is taken up by the Windows key.

People actually pay for those? I have like... 4 free Win7 keys.

I used to be able to get them for free through college but not anymore. At least it's not the full retail price, I usually go OEM.

Well, people who don't like stealing software.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I just buy what I want, I don't worry about if I can play it or not.

Uhhh I would have thought that's kind of an important issue.

I don't *have* to worry about it because you don't need the top-end gaming rigs. If you've got a decent computer with an actual graphics card then you'll most likely be able to play games. My PC cost me about £300. It doesn't have to be very expensive.

Oops, haha I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that you just weren't going to worry about whether your games were playable or not while there was a chance that they wouldn't actually even work.

By that token I could just steal a home console instead. It costs literally zero if done correctly, making this a very facile debate indeed.

Let's just assume that, y'know, people actually pay for the OS.

By that token I could just steal a home console instead. It costs literally zero if done correctly, making this a very facile debate indeed.

Let's just assume that, y'know, people actually pay for the OS.

When I say I have free windows 7 keys, I'm not implying that I stole them.

crossed_body.png

Guys, there are legitimate ways to have free Windows keys, you just have to know how to. I used to be able to get them through college but not anymore.

Guys, there are legitimate ways to have free Windows keys, you just have to know how to. I used to be able to get them through college but not anymore.

I've even seen a few ads around my college for them. They're $25 or so through a certain department or somesuch. It's not free, true, still a very good deal.

Just checked and I still have access to DreamSpark which gives free keys for things such as visual studio and Windows Server 2008 R2.