Why PC Gaming Sucks

Faux

PC more expensive, even though console accessories are expensive (and you can ONLY use them to game) and require paid online?

Console has 1 use, PC has multiple?

23076446.jpg

EDIT: Oh, mods and grand strategy games! :lol:

Required paid online... sort of like MMO subscriptions? ;)

And fyi, only 360 requires paid online.

I agree with Alg. Modding isn't for everyone. Plus I like games where they come complete, not half assed expecting the customers (i.e. me) to fix it.

As someone who cut his gaming teeth on CS 1.6, SC:BW, Diablo, WC2, AoE, Freespace 2 and the like, I've never gotten into console gaming. I enjoyed MarioKart, GoldenEye, Mortal Kombat, Tekken 3 and the like: but those are all 'classics' ~ don't get me wrong, I've played and enjoyed the GTA series & Timesplitters, but the major issues for me are a) the interface (I find shooters a chore, and interface heavy/RTS games a joke), b) the lack of custom content, which for me is a huge part of PC gaming (fx, I'm still playing FS2 & NWN mods at the moment) and c) the community (although this is probably selection bias, as I tend not to play mainstream titles or play ones which are now almost purely fan supported).

Every "reason" has been posted directly at moron#88458573 (OP) in the last 63?

Seriously?

Not sure if you're capable of a real thought, but all your reasons amount to "better technology in PC lul makes it superior"

No one is saying PC gaming has worse tech. But that comes with a lot of disadvantages. Some guy just spouted BS about how a PC gaming is fine for "five years" but somehow that makes it better than outdated consoles? Lol.

I have news for you: unless you bought your PC this year, it's already outdated.

I only buy games for my XBOX atm that are exclusives. If it's multi-platform, I'll get in on PC. I disagree with you on comfort, I prefer sitting up right some times. And to be honest, when you get serious in a game on console, you slouch forward, similar to how you would if you were on a PC. This point in pretty irrelevant I think.

And I completely disagree with you on LAN parties, they are so much fun. And Team Fortress 2 at a LAN party would amazing.

Im a bit the same w/ my PS3, if its available, generally I'll buy it on PC. LAN parties can be quite fun when organised properly, I know in a few weeks me and some friends are going to try organising one again, since its been 2 years. Downer is back then I used a friends spare PC because i didnt have my own (that could handle games).

As for TF2, I wish more of my friends liked it :<

Popoto.~<3

I have news for you: unless you bought your PC this year, it's already outdated.

Whether or not it is "outdated" is largely irrelevant. My friend is using an "outdated" ATI 4870, but that slugger can still run Skyrim on pretty much max settings. What matters is how good the hardware you buy is and how well the devs can code the game.

PC hardware may be vastly superior in every way, but developers cannot make the most of that. They have to basically design their program to work "reasonably well" on a few select configurations and then hope that everything else in between is alright. With a console, you have exact parameters and specifications for which to design and test your game on. These specifications will never deviate or vary.

Like I said earlier, I bought my PC in march 2010, and I have yet to find a game I can't run on max graphics without any upgrades. So yes, a PC will eventually become outdated, but it's not nearly as bad as you're making it seem. And my pc wasn't even top of the line when I bought it.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I agree, PC gaming is better than consoles.

That said, I think I should point out that PS3 is superior to Xbox by far.

Lastly, if you want a communal gaming experience, go buy a Wii.

Whether or not it is "outdated" is largely irrelevant. My friend is using an "outdated" ATI 4870, but that slugger can still run Skyrim on pretty much max settings. What matters is how good the hardware you buy is and how well the devs can code the game.

PC hardware may be vastly superior in every way, but developers cannot make the most of that. They have to basically design their program to work "reasonably well" on a few select configurations and then hope that everything else in between is alright. With a console, you have exact parameters and specifications for which to design and test your game on. These specifications will never deviate or vary.

Ugggggggggggggggggh. So wrong. Developers account for the fact that people have older PCs. The argument where "I can use my 3 yr old PC and play game on high settings" says more about the game than your stupid PC.

Biggest example of this is Blizzard. They lean towards cartoonish graphics because more people can play it on their PC. Valve is also guilty of this. Just look at their most popular games (Tf2, Dota 2, Portal).

Playing TF2 and bragging about how PC has superior graphics is like a midget bragging about his height.

Biggest example of this is Blizzard. They lean towards cartoonish graphics because more people can play it on their PC. Valve is also guilty of this. Just look at their most popular games (Tf2, Dota 2, Portal).

Playing TF2 and bragging about how PC has superior graphics is like a midget bragging about his height.

That seems to be more about art style than making games accessible. Not every game leans toward 'photorealism'.

It's outdated, so what? A 3 year old outdated PC still has better hardware than consoles.

I don't see your point. I don't need to keep my computer up to date by purchasing a gfx card every month because gaming doesn't require me to do so.

They lean towards cartoonish graphics because more people can play it on their PC. Valve is also guilty of this. Just look at their most popular games (Tf2, Dota 2, Portal).

You're confusing photorealism with graphics. You can apply the same technologies to a realistic game and a cartoony game. I can run tf2 with full AA just like crysis. You don't need "realistic graphics" in order to have high poly models and high res textures.

crossed_body.png

That seems to be more about the art style than making games accessible.

Nope. From now on every time you see a cartoon-ish game, just call it lazy coding. "Real life" graphics is more expensive to produce and too resource intensive for the average person's computer.

Ugggggggggggggggggh. So wrong. Developers account for the fact that people have older PCs. The argument where "I can use my 3 yr old PC and play game on high settings" says more about the game than your stupid PC.

Like I said, I can play Skyrim on maxed settings. Is there another game with superior graphics you'd like me to test?

A console has graphical limitations too. There's a certain point where console game makers can't make their games with graphics any better because they've reached the maximum the console can support, just like how PC game devs reach a point where they don't want to push the envelope too far because it will make the games inaccessible to too many people.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

It's outdated, so what? A 3 year old outdated PC still has better hardware than consoles.

A six or seven year old PC might not, though. You might as well compare today's PCs to a fifth generation console.

Nope. From now on every time you see a cartoon-ish game, just call it lazy coding. "Real life" graphics is more expensive to produce and too resource intensive for the average person's computer.

...This doesn't even come close to making sense.

Wow... I'm out of this thread, I'm not getting trolled by this guy. These arguments are so inane that it is worthless to even try to counter-argue.

A six or seven year old PC might not, though. You might as well compare today's PCs to a fifth generation console.

Considering consoles came out 5/6 years ago, and computer hardware gets both more advanced and cheaper as time goes on, I don't think we're talking about PC back in the day vs Consoles, we're talking about PC hardware in the last couple of years vs Consoles.

crossed_body.png

...This doesn't even come close to making sense.

What doesn't make sense?

From the dev POV:

Cartoon graphics = easier to code, cheaper to produce

From the publisher's POV:

Cartoon graphics = less resource intensive, more people can play

Faux. you just went from showing you know very little to showing you know nothing.

Not sure why you're still grasping at straws, nothing you've said (from the start, mind you) has made any sense or had any credibility, just stop lol.

Considering consoles came out 5/6 years ago, and computer hardware gets both more advanced and cheaper as time goes on, I don't think we're talking about PC back in the day vs Consoles, we're talking about PC hardware in the last couple of years vs Consoles.

That's the thing. It doesn't make much sense to say that a computer from a couple of years ago is better than a console released 5/6 years ago. Technology gets better, and one of the biggest disadvantages of consoles is that it takes so long for them to get an update. 2010-12 tech is going to be better than 2006 tech.

Faux. you just went from showing you know very little to showing you know nothing.

Not sure why you're still grasping at straws, nothing you've said (from the start, mind you) has made any sense or had any credibility, just stop lol.

I'm a 4th year compsci student. This is like teaching high school programming to kids (i.e. you).

I'd think that a 4th year compsci student would know what shaders are, what 3d models are, and how the styles of tf2 and similar games are implemented versus how more realistic games are implemented. But apparently your college sucks.

crossed_body.png

...Have you SEEN the the insane amount of resources TF2 devours? sure it has its cartoon-ish style to the characters, but it is FAR from being outdated. Before you start ripping into games that are limited in graphics, performance and updatability on your Xbox, actually take a look and play and see the major difference in a PC game. They can still update; TF2 is now running on DX9 and it started off as a DX7 game in 2007, and even during its Quake Mod stages it still wasn't always old PC friendly and nor is it now.

I built my PC almost 2 years ago and Its capable of running anything on max still, only thing is I need to replace the GPU because the GTX 480 was a bad series and causes heat damage to itself, besides that, still built like a tank.

Popoto.~<3

Like I said, I can play Skyrim on maxed settings. Is there another game with superior graphics you'd like me to test?

Skyrim is also a console game. One of the biggest flaws it was criticized for was being too console centric.

Try Crysis. Came out 4 years ago. Max it out (with 1920x1080 resolution at the minimum) and then take a screen shot and post it here.

...Have you SEEN the the insane amount of resources TF2 devours? sure it has its cartoon-ish style to the characters, but it is FAR from being outdated. Before you start ripping into games that are limited in graphics, performance and updatability on your Xbox, actually take a look and play and see the major difference in a PC game. They can still update; TF2 is now running on DX9 and it started off as a DX7 game in 2007, and even during its Quake Mod stages it still wasn't always old PC friendly and nor is it now.

I built my PC almost 2 years ago and Its capable of running anything on max still, only thing is I need to replace the GPU because the GTX 480 was a bad series and causes heat damage to itself, besides that, still built like a tank.

Oh SNAP. Dx9.

Too bad Dx11 is out.

Skyrim is also a console game. One of the biggest flaws it was criticized for was being too console centric.

Try Crysis. Came out 4 years ago. Max it out (with 1920x1080 resolution at the minimum) and then take a screen shot and post it here.

And shall we compare it with a screenshot from console crysis? That's the point, right?

Crysis_1_PC_vs_Xbox_360-s955x1238-234958.jpg

Even if his PC can't run crysis on ultra, crysis on med on PC is vastly superior to crysis on a console. Even if the graphics looked the same (which they don't, not even remotely), his PC would be getting at least 60fps.

Oh SNAP. Dx9.

Too bad Dx11 is out.

How is Dx11 treating consoles these days?

crossed_body.png