Credits to Archi and Nex for thinking of some great aspects and backstory to finish mine.

Name: Jen de Boer

Magic: Nature

Childhood

Jen was born in Pretoria, the capital of the Transvaal Republic, in 1856, on the very day of its independence. She grew up in a community of economically prosperous Dutch-settler farmers known as Boers. The idyllic Transvaal Republic was located in fertile farmland and incubated a fledgling democracy. As the new republic was surrounded by hostile Africans and had to subsist on its own agriculture, Jen was brought up in the arts of farming, riding, and shooting. Her skill became present in the community event of egg shooting and proved that she was capable of joining the Boer militia. Living such an unladylike life on the frontier would serve her well in some respects, but made her unable to understand the qualities and nicities of a settled lifestyle. From the beginning, tensions with the British-controlled cape were present in the Transvaal and rumors were that the British were planning to annex the Boer States into their evil empire.

Aspect: Out of her Element (In London)

Jen de Boer, in Whisp of Truth.

In late 1872 Jen began a trek North to travel to India, which she then thought was the hub of British efforts to control the world, after listening to a Dutch spice trader in a bar. The journey took Jen first to Maputo, in Portuguese East Africa, taking more than year. From here she boarded a tram steamer which sailed for Java, but made port at Ceylon. From here she made her way up towards Bengal, Fort William, determined to assassinate Queen Victoria. However when she arrived the great mass of people confused her greatly and she fell into an Opium Den. Once she discovered that Queen Victoria was not in India she lost heart and began to lose herself in the hazy smoke of the den. It was not for almost three years later, in late 1876, that Jen found herself stirred from the Den of Inquity by a half-caught conversation between to British merchant agents discussing the coronation of the Empress of India. Jen, in her half aware state staggered to the door, and to the nearest bar to confirm the story.

Aspect: Ex-Opium Addict

Shaka'l de Boer

But alas, in her half conscience state she ran afoul of a carriage. By fortune the carriage driver was a Dutchman, who took pity on the wretch and took her to a local doctor. From there she struggled to get clean, but the spectre of the drug lingers on. In any event the Dutchman, on hearing of her plans to kill the Queen of England disowned her, and said it was better that she had died on the streets of Kolkata. She could not understand how her fellow Dutch could not understand the evil of Britain, but she paid it little mind. She booked passage on a ship sailing for London, but when the ship put into port on the Island of Madagascar she heard that trouble was brewing back in Pretoria. Britain had formally annexed it! On leaving the port she hijacked the vessal and travelled by dead reckoning for several days, eventually running aground near Ulundi and was found by the Zulus there. Her narrow escape from torture was only affected by the help of a Charismatic Irishman, Benjamin O'Reily. Together they escaped the Zulu Impis and travelled across country, eventually reaching Port Elizabeth. On the journey they talked much, sharing a hatred of Britian, but Jen slowly came to understand that Ireland, although part of Britain, was not the same as it.

Back in the Frontier

Her time in the Opium dens took her away from her beloved frontier and when she returned, she saw nature in a new light and spent the next few days upon her return on the rolling velds (grasslands) and the highvelds (highlands). It was during this time that she began to "speak" with the grasses and the herd animals on the velds. Although Opium withdrawal was a possible culprit, she felt that it was the result of a special connection with nature. She had shunned human relationships before, so it made sense that she bonded with something else. It was during this time that her connection proved useful: her conversations with nature informed her of Zulu troop movements that indicated an attack and she was able to travel back to the Boer lands to foil the Zulu ambush.

Aspect: Special Relationship

Rebellion

Of course, Britain continued to move forwards with their imperial ambitions. After being contacted by militia organisers, she met up with the Boer militias that had assembled to remove the British threat. Together, they harried the British with guirrella tactics and expert marksmenship. The British, unaccostumed to the new style of warfare, were beaten back time and time again. The Boers began sieging British fortresses and when the British sent relief forces, the Boers routed them at the Battle of Majuba Hill. Nature conspired to help Jen by hiding her behind tall grasses and allowed her to get close enough to the British positions on the hill to take out two British officers with her smokeless Mauser rifle before the start of the battl. After the British were crushed, Jen found the spot where the commanders fell and took their Webley Revolvers, which she added to her arsenal.

Aspect: Veteran of Majuba

After several years of work in South Africa Jen found the work she was doing to be deeply confusing. One the one hand the British oppressed her people, on the other they fought the Zulus to protect the Boers without thought for themselves. All around her, her fellow Boers told her it was for the Gold and Diamonds, but Benjamin talked of Britain as 'The older brother you didn't want and didn't ask for, but, at the end of the day, when you look at what else is out there, you can't help but admire.'

With her confusion making it difficult to work Jen travelled to Britain, not to kill, but to understand her enemy.

Aspect: The Quest for Understanding

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, yes, Alg, you're doing the next part of my back story and I'm doing the rest of your back story, until the point where Arch takes over.. So, yeah. Thought I should let yah know.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Oh, yes, Alg, you're doing the next part of my back story and I'm doing the rest of your back story, until the point where Arch takes over.. So, yeah. Thought I should let yah know.

I know. I've been busy, but I can probably get it to you tomorrow. Nothing planned except for a one hour class that requires 4 hours of travel :razz:

I hope you meant today, Thursday, because tomorrow, Friday, I won't be here.

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Mmk. I'll do as much as I can in the time I have left, when you post it.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

[spoiler=For Earth]

Feel free to make whatever changes you feel are necessary.

Aspects:

Prepared (Your travels taught you many things, the most important of which was that you had to be ready for anything. Few other men have the skill to live up to it)

Renowned (Your skills have earned you quite a reputation. Expect a warm welcome in many places, don't expect to be able to keep a low profile)

The long version:

Shortly after his apprenticeship ended, Grant started his own clinic. His experience with discretion resulted in a reputation among criminals as a doctor who would not ask too many questions. He soon realized that his actions caused many of the injuries that he had to treat, and out of disgust he closed his clinic and left London.

His travels taught him that there were many more medical techniques than he was unfamiliar with and his skills improved quickly as he filtered the most effective techniques and medicines into his arsenal, staying in one location just long enough to treat the sick once he finished learning. Satisfied with his work, he returned to London to reopen his clinic.

No character just yet, but it took long enough to get this done. Watch this spot.

It's late now, and I won't have time to work on it until monday. Sorry.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

I could probably do it tomorrow. Of course, I still need to work on Icu's, so if anyone else is up to it, that would be good too. :)

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Ah shite. I forgot it had to be done Saturday.. I may be able to get it done, but.. Err. I have to leave 10 o clock EST tomorrow for NYC, so maybe I can egt up early, get it done and run by you, and submitted to archi before then..

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Name: Clinton Wades

Clinton Wades is an ex-politician adept at diplomacy, negotiations and general knowledge of parliament. He was born in west London to a privileged family and subsequently took a position in the House of Lords. Although Wade’s life has given him an inordinate wealth and an extravagant lifestyle he has a hunger for adventure and magic.

Wade’s position as a politician has made him adept at social dealings; he is skilled with persuasion and diplomacy. His natural charm makes it hard for people to disagree with him, to think that he’s a liar or to wish harm upon him. His position in parliament has given him a keen eye for spotting certain aspects of people.

Aspects:

Charming Personality

Aspect 1: Investor in the Ideas of Edwin Chadwick. You don't pay alot of attention to it, only that his plans involve making people less sick

Second aspect: Rich as sin: You, as a Lord, have more money than you really know what to do with. You own a country house and a City House off of Hannover Square

Finally, Aspect 3: Premature Ageing: You have lived fast most of your life, as a child you were out in your Father's house, shooting and buring groundskeepers, and the occassional fox that got in the way of your guns. When your father died you inherited his fortune and did your best to blow it on Opium, Girls, Guys and Groundskeepers, but a significant amount remains...Now, at only age 27, you are half deaf, half blind, and have all the spryness of an iron ingot. Added

Skills:

1.0 Graveriser

10.0 Bluff

5.0 Diplomacy

5.9 Persuasion

3.0 Barrister

1.0 Climbing

1.0 Swimming

Feats:

(4/4)

Affinity with the Law - Because of Wade’s lordship and charisma the law is far more likely to support him. Even when it is obvious that he committed a crime the police are always more likely to side.

Endurance – A life of opium smoking and drinking have given him a great deal of endurance. He can take much more of a beating than a standard person.

Dagger Proficiency

Executioner – Can perform a stealth execution. It is hard to detect that the person is dead or been killed.

qTLQRuS.png

I'm late, Retech will have to do Alg's, and since I don't need mine finished then Alg can work on ICU's. If that works.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

[spoiler=Icu's Backstory]

After traveling for a few years in Europe and Asia, Oscar returned to America and was greeted with another contract. As always, he created a new identity and began to work his way into the target's circle of acquaintances. The group was paranoid, but opened up after Oscar proved his skill with arms, and they revealed their own plot to assassinate Rutherford B. Hayes. Before their plan was finalized, he quietly captured and turned in his target before disappearing again. Recently, a man fitting his description has been seen in London.

Aspects:

Well-funded: You've done a lot of jobs that pay well, and most of the resources you need are at your disposal.

Unfamiliar: You've never been to England.

[spoiler=Character]

Name: Alice Weaver

Born in London as the oldest child of a pair of performers, she was taught both acting and magic tricks as soon as she was old enough to learn. After the deaths of her parents, she learned to pick pockets as a means of supporting her siblings, picking up other skills as the years went by, including a crude form of illusion magic.

Aspects:

Beneath notice (Blends in with crowds and is easily forgotten)

Kleptomania (Take ALL the things!)

Inventory:

10 throwing knives

Well-hidden pockets and such

Illusions 1.0

Knives 10.0

Prestidigitation 5.0

Luck 5.0

Bluff 3.0

Perception 3.2

Acting 3.0

Stealth 3.3

Diplomacy 2.0

Climbing 2.0

Literacy 1.0

Forgery 1.0

Running 1.0

Marksman (Pistol) 1.0

Dodge 1.0

Name: Gladstone

A boisterous and eccentric English nobleman, in his early thirties. His early years consisted mostly of long days spent in various lessons with a private tutor, though he vastly preferred physical exertion and the more 'noble' pursuits of sparring, hunting, and riding. His enthusiasm and ineffable nature fueled several years of debauchery and earned him quite the reputation before he finally began to think about himself and the world. Unsuited as he was to such a task as deep thought, he instead decided to wander the wilds beyond the crown of civilization that is Britain until struck with some sort of epiphany.

Since then, he has invested most of his household's loose money into funding archaeological digs and exploratory missions into Africa, with the sole purpose of tagging along on the adventure. With naught but his dueling cane (made as a sort of ornate shillelagh, acquired during a stay in Ireland from a drinking buddy) and trusty Lancaster Pistol, he goes forth to make a name for himself abroad, and finally find a reliable source of entertainment in life.

Aspects:

Gentleman Adventurer

Regardless of circumstance, Gladstone sticks to traditional codes of honor, and is slow to grasp the complexities of foreign custom. Rather than letting this hold him back, he throws himself into all situations with equal cheer and gusto, which has put his life in danger at least as often as it has succeeded in endearing him to the locals.

Padded Combatant

Gladstone is a theoretical expert in the pistol, sword, and other weapons of the gentry, though unused to the rigors of real combat. Pain is a new concept to him, and he'll feel every blow an enemy lands fully and then some.

Inventory:

Dueling Cane

.455 Lancaster Pistol

Skills:

Ars Magnetica: 3.0

Luck: 11.0

Marksman (Pistol): 5.2

Dodge: 5.5

Stick Fighting: 3.8

Charm: 3.0

Riding: 3.0

Swimming: 2.0

Climbing: 2.0

Diplomacy: 2.2

Fencing: 2.0

Navigation: 1.0

Literacy: 1.0

Carousing: 1.0

Leadership: 1.0

Fisticuffs: 1.0

Powers:

Caster

Ironburn

Steelburn

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Skills and aspects for my dude

Skills:

10.0: Marksmanship (If it has to be specific to a gun type, then pistols)

5.0: Forgery

5.0: Bluff

3.0: Riding

3.0: Survival

3.0: Sneaking

2.0: Tailoring

2.0: Marksmanship (Rifle)

2.0: Rope tying

2.0: Swimming

1.0: Metromancy

1.0: Animal husbandry

1.0: Barter

1.0: Knowledge (Fabrics)

1.0: Knowledge (Weaponry)

Aspects

The enigma

Easily able to take up new disguises

Short range marksman

At short distances (let's say about 2 metres) gets a bonus to aiming.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Nimbus is up. If everything gets finished by 18:00 GMT (2 and 1/2 hours time) then I will take a break to plan the session. If not I will do my best to run the session without a plan =P

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

So we've got a pair of sneaks, a British noble, and a vindictive Boer insurgent.

Oh, and a medic. He'll be important.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

[spoiler=Alg]

Alice was skilled at theft, but apparently not skilled enough. Her hands found themselves in the back pocket of one Arthur James Balfour, who would later become the 1st Earl of Balfour. She was noticed, as she was so many times before, but before she could escape into the alleys, she was caught by the police. He was powerful, and the powerful frequently had mistresses. Alice had to stay out of prison to take care of her siblings. So they began their sordid affair. It turned out that it simply involved doing the housework and some covert assistance as he tried to woo his cousin May Lyttelton. mostly spying and noting down her favorite foods and flowers. But after his precious May died of Typhus, his lascivious advances turned to Alice. They were married the next day. He was alright, but his constant attention and pampering made her feel stifled, so she faked her own death a week later and fled.

Aspect: Loveless Affair

Before her flight, she had spoken to her husband for 24 out of the 48 hours. Her husband stayed home to get to know her and "get to know her." They talked and talked about many things, from their lives to the politics of the day. She found out that her husband was an important politician and was aiming to become the prime minister. It was during this talk that she spoke well of the Jews and their need for a homeland. Her husband promised that he would do well for them. Alice was secretly Jewish herself and barely managed to bluff her way through their talk about good ol' Protestant Christianity. As Alice went to her "grave", he would always remember their talk and kept in mind the promises that he made for her.

Aspect: Secretly Jewish

Youstolemyidea

I've got to go shopping/lunching, I might be a tad late, hopefully not though.

EDIT: If Icu needs ideas for my aspects, I'm always open to 'Bristling Emotive Mustache'.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Ok, since the majority of people know who they are:

http://london1868.com/weller27.htm

If you see the walkway coming off of the U in Outer Circle, the Island that it crosses is where the first part of the story will take place.

If you arrive late, and we have started, then I will invent a short story to explain how you got there...It will probably be that you saw a flyer and was interested in thie 'Miracle Cure for All Illnesses, by Edwin Chadwick', but if your character just goes walking in the park alot that also works =P.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Mmk. I still won't be able to attend the session in any sane fashion, but that just means Alg doesn't have to work on my story for it. Heh. We can go over it during the week, if need be.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Mmk. I still won't be able to attend the session in any sane fashion, but that just means Alg doesn't have to work on my story for it. Heh. We can go over it during the week, if need be.

I posted a very rough/short thing for you on the last page. More time to work on it now :razz: