Tip.It Times: Homeless New Items

oddfaery2

As an amateur programmer, there is a real problem with more bank space. It takes memory to make it work. Whether RAM, Disk space or however Jagex makes it work, to add more bank space would require more hardware/software than may be possible. Think about it, one server can hold 2000 players. Each one has their own bank account and farming patches. I know my machine at home can only fit so much RAM, only so many Hard disks, only so many peripheral cards. That may be why there is a drag on creating more space in the bank.

And on a side note, f2p is the demo version of RS. You should not get all the bells and whistles that members get. Jagex is a business which sells RS as a product. If they made the demo comparable to members, no one would buy membership and Jagex would fold leaving us players with no RS at all.

runemdefault,dmac1024.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week's Tip.It Times has been released. Feel free to discuss the article or post any comments. If you have any criticism, please make sure it's constructive! :D

Homeless New Items

The Editor

Many of us, including myself, have succumbed to the dreaded ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅYou do not have space for this in your bank,ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

thenewsiglw3.png

I consider RAM to be much more a problem then diskspace. Especially cause the RAM is needed not only on the Server side, but as well on the Client side. A solution might be to create container slots, may be eight "chests" on the top bank row, where each player can name and use his chests in the way he prefers (like naming chest #1 "Armory" if he wants to use it for his battle stuff, chest #2 "Herblore" if he is a herblorist to put all herblore things in there, and so on). The rest of the bank below can stay as it is to be used for all often needed items or everything the player doesn't want (or can't) put away in a organised manner.

Since I don't know about the technical ressources Jagex has they had to calculate how much rows each container can hold, but for the disk space used up by this on the one side there wouldn't be the need to load hundreds of items into one view on the other side any more. Additionally, as long a chest isn't used it wouldn't allocate any disk space at all, thus reflecting a players skill development much better then a preset number of bank slots.

This all would also work with the current f2p / p2p politics, a f2p player could simply not see the chest row in his bank. P2p players running out of membership could store their member stuff into the chests and move the things they need on f2p back to the main bank page till they got membership back.

With new items added continously Jagex needs to do something about the bank space anyways sooner or later, and a solution like this one would be much more flexible and helpfull then just another x rows added again somewhen.

Oh, not to forget - nice article. Always enjoy reading them.

Best regards,

Mace

msig.jpg

very nice article, as a p2p i find it hard to keep bank space free. i am a skill builder and quester and i have cleaned out any useless things i do not have a need for.

for the person that said to make gems into ammy's, what about those gems needed for games necklaces? or for those of us who smelt iron? and the list goes on...

one person did have it right when they said that one useless item to one may be useful to another.

Really space would be awesome.

My opinion:

It is time for a new system of banks in runescape!

Aren't you sick of searching and searching for items?

I say we rise and ask for a new bank system! I don't know about you, but would rather have a better bank system that I use every time I play over having crazy new potatoes that I'll most likely only use once or twice!

If you agree we should begin a Runescape bank revolution then let me hear your thoughts! We can share ideas and make a petition to send to Jagex with f2p and p2p people alike!

Go to http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?p=2653080#2653080 and help me change the runescape bank for the better!

nadsiggeh2cw3.png

As an amateur programmer, there is a real problem with more bank space. It takes memory to make it work. Whether RAM, Disk space or however Jagex makes it work, to add more bank space would require more hardware/software than may be possible. Think about it, one server can hold 2000 players. Each one has their own bank account and farming patches. I know my machine at home can only fit so much RAM, only so many Hard disks, only so many peripheral cards. That may be why there is a drag on creating more space in the bank.
As a professional game programmer, it seems very unlikely to me that adding more bank space is a technical problem.

For each bank slot, you probably have one int for the item id, one for the quantity, and probably another bit for item-specific data (e.g. the number of charges on a ring of forging, damage on barrows set items, etc.). Add one more int just for good measure, though I can't think of anything else they'd need it for. Given that, even 1000 bank slots would only take up 16k of memory. If you have 5 million players, thats only 75 GB of data, which is nothing. As for RAM use, even if they did have to have all 2000 players loaded into the server-side RAM at once (which seems very unlikely), that's only 32MB. Client-side, 16k isn't a huge issue either, and if it were, you don't have to have the bank in RAM all the time anyway - just when the player is actually using the bank.

The most logical explanation for the bank size limit is a game design decision, not a technical decision. They probably want players to have to make choices about what they keep, possibly because it encourages trading. That said, I agree that due to all of the recent item additions, a bank expansion is necessary.

hey im p2p and i think more bank space would be much better. and f2p should still have almost none cause its just the trial version of the game. I'm not a very good programmer but more bank space isn't a very big waste of memory. I need space form time to time but i always have a b sale or sumtin to git rid of my stuff i once sold my full guthans set for 5 mill only cause i couldn't use it and i had no room for it. Im just sayin p2p needs more banks space for the massive amount of items jagex is making. :twisted: :twisted: :evil:

I've been playing for a while and I think I can recall a god letter from quite a while ago where it explained that the swords Fire Giants wield is just a normal steel two hander. The Fire Giant is so hot it heats the metal up and makes it glow red. It seems strange that Jagex are changing their story...

In a game much like rune scape......well ok but much bigger bader and well costs alot more but anyway in that game they overcame bank space by useing crates boxes and other things that allow you to store lets say all your runes in one crate and all wepons in another and so on. all the crates would then be the first thing you see when you open your bank along with what ever items you didnot put into crates boxes poutches and so on.

I think this is by for a batter way to look at bank space needs over the cluttered one directory attempt by jagex.

With all the new holidays and random events, f2pers need more space. It's not our fault if we get 4 frog tokens or 8 mime clothes. YOu can't just throw em out. But you have to say there is some worthless junk that people keep for fun. I still got my chocolate dust...Mmmmm...

electrofrog6ck.jpg

fotwunderbanner2zg4.png

this is a trick i use to keep my bank in slighly better order never have just one of anything if you can help it. this way if you take something out the exta one still hold the bank slot . even a lot of things that you are told you can only have one of if you drop it get the extra then pick the other one back up. hope this helps at least a few people.

I miss you Justice my angel on earth and now in heaven " quem di diligunt, adolescens moritur " for whom the gods love die young. April 6th 2005 - February 17th 2009

being a member i like having the extra space but my f2p freinds are out raged at jagex doing this :cry: they beg and beg mods too ask jagex for more space :cry: i am also anoyed by this because it's an embarasment for me :oops: they parade around world one protesting about it :wall: :cry: i hope jagex changes this

i know why ppl who i kill in the wildy call me a noob when they die they're jealous and btw EOP rulz 4 eva! /\ /\

(=^_^=)

( ^ ^)

( ) ( ) < cute but evil

i just wanna say: i totaly agree. there is nothing more to say :!:

-=[ Once, a researcher of the weird and wonderfull items in runescape ]=-

sigtipit.jpg

You cannot do all you want. You have to make choises. I made the right one, hopefully, so will you!