[WIP] Mithril Dragon Guide (P2P) - Melee [MAGE COMING AS SOON AS I GAIN COMBAT LEVELS]

DownToFletch

Hello all, I'm looking to help the Tip.It community expand, as EOC has changed many of the guides, making players unsure of what to do/bring when hunting monsters, such as the Mithril Dragon.

dog1.jpg

*I will not reimburse your items or money for anything you lose in this dungeon. If you die, it's on you. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. This area is being classified as HIGH-RISK. DO NOT BRING ITEMS YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO LOSE. EXPECT DEATH AT EVERY POSSIBLE MOMENT. DO NOT "AFK" HERE.

Before we get into any of the details, let me just give you a small bit of information. Mithril Dragons are the real deal. They are not to be joked around with, even as a high level. I've watched people get slaughtered. (Even maxed players!!) The dragons attack with ALL 3 PARTS OF THE COMBAT TRIANGLE, PLUS DRAGON FIRE.

Due to this being a melee guide (maybe I’ll expand it later, comment below if you want it or not!) you should be warned that these beasts can hit fairly high, sometimes seemingly going straight past your armor. When you’re within Melee range of the dragon, it should ONLY be attacking you with MAGIC AND MELEE. If you’re being hit with ranged attacks, you’re most likely being targeted by a different dragon, in which case you could be screwed if you don’t get out.

Try to remain in areas where there is only one dragon. Moving away from the dragon will not cause it to immediately follow you; it will merrily just rain death upon you with magic and ranged.

Although any experienced player would say “You should do that at max combat, because you'll get loads more KPH and you'll make mad monies dawg $$.” I’ll just tell you that you could scrape by with stats as low as 85 (To actually get SOME kills... If your stats are below 80, you won't get more than a couple kills, if one at all.) Although 99’d stats would definitely give you a great edge in kills per hour and such, they aren't needed. (But recommended!)

I'll post my stats because I'm not scared of any trolling or banter that I'm a "noob." For one; I've had MANY accounts, including one with 99 Hunter, 99 Fletching, 70+ Farming, 99 range, 99 Firemaking, etc. I'll get them all again eventually, but in good time :)

[insert updated stats here.]

I’ll make this area as basic as possible, and for the more in-depth details, look below this section!

Recommended Levels (Melee):

Attack = 85+

Strength = 85+

Defence = 85+

Summoning = 67+ (War Tortoise is very helpful, if that’s the best you have.)

Prayer = 70+ (If on normal book)

70+ (If using curses, 70 for deflection curses. 92+ is highly recommended for Soul Split, and 95 for turmoil.)

*Please keep in mind that with EOC now, protection prayers only absorb up to ~50% damage when praying against an attack of that similar type. Adjust your equipment accordingly!

Herblore (If making your own potions) = At least 69 if you plan on making your own Antifire potions [YOU MUST USE A SHIELD TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM DRAGON FIRE ANYWAYS, THESE REGULAR ANTIFIRE POTIONS WILL NOT FULLY PROTECT YOU.]

If you’re buying your own potions, then so be it. If you aren't 90+ stats, I would HIGHLY recommend extreme potions if you can afford to train to those levels. [Levels 88-90]. Boosting your stats as high as possible will greatly increase your damage output, increasing your kills per hour.

Of course, prayer potions are a must. At level 38 Herblore you can make them, or you could just buy them. If you’re looking to stay down in the lair as long as possible with the same amount of potions, players with high Herblore (Level 94) can make Super Prayer potions (Non-tradable.)

At level 85 Herblore, you can make Super Antifire potions (Non-tradable), which will benefit a high level player greatly, as you can dual wield weapons, increasing your damage output greatly.

If you’re already 96 Herblore, it’s a no brainer; just use overloads. If you don’t have any torstol to use, then you can substitute extremes, but you’ll be using more inventory space filling in potions than other items for your trip, which will more than likely reduce your kills per trip, meaning less money per hour, if that’s what you’re after.

NOTE: You need to have completed Barbarian Training to access the dungeon. (More specifically, the fire making portion.) To do barbarian training, go South of Barbarian Outpost to the lake, and go around the South West side of it to find a hut, containing Otto Godblessed. A guide to Barbarian Training has already been made by Tip.It, so I'll post that here:

http://www.tip.it/ru...an_training.htm

---

For starters, getting to the Mithril Dragon lair is rather simple. (All three of these guides to get to the dragons are made assuming you've completed Barbarian Training to the point where you've been given the ability to enter the dungeon. Otto will tell you that you're able to go in after the fire making portion of the lessons.)

Getting there (Option 1)

1.) Teleport or get yourself to Barbarian Outpost (Option 2 on the games necklace). Alternatively, you can walk from Seers village, all the way up to Relleka and hop from the lighthouse over to Barbarian Outpost, but this is highly NOT recommended. Just get a games necklace

2.) Walk SOUTH of the Barbarian Outpost until you find the small dock in the lake, with a whirl pool. *Note: You CANNOT jump into the Whirl Pool with a familiar summoned. Summon it inside!!!

3.) Once inside, climb down the staircase and run SOUTHEAST until you find another set of stairs, WHICH LEAD TO THE DRAGONS, BE CAUTIOUS.

Note: As I'm level 200 combat, the Brutal Green Dragons do NOT attack me. To determine if they will attack you, do the math:

[Your Combat Level]*[2]+1

If the number you get is HIGHER than that of the monsters within the dungeon, THEY SHOULD NOT ATTACK you.

UPDATE: NOT ALL MONSTERS ARE AGGRESSIVE NOW. "AGGRESSIVE" MONSTERS HAVE AN " * " (asterisk) NEXT TO THEIR NAME(S).

Getting There (Option 2)

Requirements: The Lost City quest. You need your Draman staff, or your Lunar staff if you've done Lunar Diplomacy! (No staff is required if you have COMPLETED Fairy Tales: Part 3.)

This option is highly recommended, especially if using a familiar that is going to be holding food or items for you.

1.) Do the Barbarian Training as is stated above and jump into the whirl pool with the following items:

- 5 Bittercap Mushrooms

- A spade (If not on your tool belt already)

2.) When you get into the cave, go down the stairs to the brutal green dragons, and run South, just past the staircase to the Mithril Dragons.

3.) Then go WEST, until you find the Aquafiends. You should see a fairy ring, but it can’t be used until you use the Bittercap Mushrooms on it.

4.) Once you have used the mushrooms on the spot and repaired the ring, you can use it to teleport out (given you have a Draman staff, or have completed Fairy Tale: Part III.

The code to use this fairy ring is: BJQ

Getting There (Option 3)

If you have already visited the dungeon, and use Kuradel as your Slayer Master, you have the ability to sometimes use her slayer dungeon. When in there fighting monsters for your slayer task, you have a chance of obtaining a Ferocious Ring (5). You can use this to teleport back to Kuradel, and then exit the slayer master’s area to head to the Mithril Dragons.

Alright, so I’ve spent enough time talking about getting to the actual dragons, but how about slaughtering them? :D

There are a couple equipment setups you could consider that would be efficient for killing Mithril Dragons if you’re aiming to take down a lot of them.

Items to use –

Quick Note: I haven’t used Ganodermic at the dragons yet, but they have a high magic damage soak. (The armor has great magic defense.) Feel free to use it, I prefer my Bandos setup shown below :). Due to players commenting about me not including higher level, expensive armor into the guide, I'll include it for them.

Head: Slayer Helmet* > Helm of Neitiznot > Veracs > Fighter Helm > Other Barrows Armor > Void

Amulet: Amulet of Fury > Amulet of Glory

Cape: Completionist Cape/Max Cape > ***TokHaar > Fire cape > ***Skill cape > *Cape of Legends/**Soul Wars Cape

*Only cape with a life bonus. Life bonus of 100

**Second Highest prayer bonus of all capes at 6

***The TokHaar cape offers .4% more melee bonus over skill capes. The Skill capes offer more armor bonus over the TokHaar, as well as 2.4% mage/range bonus. Pick whichever you prefer.

Shield/Off-hand: Nex Gear** > ***Off-hand Chaotic Rapier > ***Bandos War Shield = Dragonfire Shield > Anti Dragon-fire Shield > Void Deflector

Weapon: Chaotic Rapier >Chaotic Longsword > Korasi’s Sword > Whip

Body: Nex Gear** > Bandos Chest Plate > Barrows Armor > Void

Legs: Nex Gear** > Tassets > Barrows Armor > Void

Boots: **Steadfast Boots > Nex Gear** > Dragon Boots

Gloves: **Goliath Gloves = Culimancer Gloves 10 > Culimancer Gloves 9, etc. > Void

Ring: **Ring of Stone (i)/Any other good combat stat boosting ring > Ring of Wealth

Aura: Vampyrism = Greater Reverence

*If on a slayer task. Do not use otherwise. DO NOT use the slayer helm if you plan on using void. You need 4 void items including the helm to get the bonus it offers. People have been telling me that void got “nerfed” with EOC, so it may not be worth it to use it. It has low defence and doesn’t offer much bonus HP. Use it if you want; I don’t anymore.

** I put Goliath gloves as equal to the Culimancer Gloves 10, because the Goliaths degrade. I personally use the Culimancer Gloves 10. Also, I use dragon boots (because I don’t have the money for steadfast boots, and I also use a Ring of Wealth because I can’t be bothered to get a Ring of Stone (i) lol. I don't have Nex gear either. I’m also 99 Attack/Strength/Defence, so I don’t need quite as much damage bonuses.

***ONLY if used in conjunction with SUPER ANTIFIRE POTIONS. The Bandos War Shield was set equal to the Dragonfire Shield due to its higher bonuses, if you need those bonuses to make a difference in your fighting ability.

Prayers to Use:

Protect Item

Deflect from Magic OR Melee (If you choose to wear dragon hide armor, that obviously has high magic defense bonus; you should concentrate on melee protection [and vice versa].)

Piety (Or your best stat enhancing prayer such as this.)

Curses to Use:

Protect Item

Berserker

Deflect Magic/Melee (Your choice [as mentioned above in the prayer section], depending on your gear setup/stats.)

Soul Split

Turmoil

Side Note: Below, you will see some gear setups/scenarios as what to wear/bring. If you can’t use certain items due to level restrictions, swap them out for other potions/items. Also, if you don’t use the action bar or any of the new abilities, consider swapping the adrenaline potions out for food, or other potions.

Stats1MithGuidepic1v2.jpgInv1MithDragonspic1v2.jpgInv2MithDragonspic2v2.jpg

Edit; [spoiler=Second Setup (Inventory)]For the second setup with Extreme potions, I forgot to include prayer potions. Substitute as many potions OUT as you would like Prayer Potions IN. Remember, you'll be drinking stat boosting potions semi frequently to deal the most damage possible. If you run out of stat boosting potions but have a lot of prayer potions left, you need to try a different combination!

:)

This setup emphasizes melee protection, assuming that you’ll be Soul Split flicking, or just using Soul Split, or just protect from/deflect magic. Combined with Turmoil/Piety and high stats, you can WRECK them. If you can't use the potions I showed, swap the higher level ones out for the lower level ones that you can obtain. Beware, you won't get as much/as many boosts to your stats to aid you in killing the dragons.

[insert Proselyte Picture] [Coming soon! :D] (As soon as my friend sends it to me :P)

Proselyte armor is to be used if you’re looking for prayer bonus. Defence isn't as high as any high tier armor, but if you choose the correct Prayers/Curses in combination with your stats, you can definitely make it work. If you have stats that are ~90, (about 90), consider swapping 1 of each potion out for more food. Use the BEST food you can.

[insert Void Picture] [Also coming soon :D]

I would NOT suggest void, but it’s your choice. As stated above, I have heard that the “bonus” you used to receive has been “nerfed.” Combined with low defence and low HP bonus, I wouldn't suggest this. (Normal Void and Elite Void have the same stats I believe, the changes are purely cosmetic. PLEASE comment if this is false, with evidence so that I can correctly update the guide.)

Special Thanks To:

The Tip.It team for allowing me to make this thread to help others, even if it isn't perfect yet. You guys have definitely helped me with the game, whether it be quest help, skill calculators, or just general guides. +1 to all of you!

The moderator who gave me an infraction for the .gif in my signature being too large.

Vezon Dash

Bluud

PolarBearBlue

aerendil

--------------------------------------------------

Edited:

November 29th, 2012 (11/29/2012) [Released]

February 5th, 2013 (2/5/2012) [updated]

To Be Added:

Proselyte Armor Setups // Inventories

Ganodermic Mage Armor Setups // Inventories

Update Stats Picture

Video of Mithril Dragons being slain [Probably not going to happen very soon, but maybe in the close future.]

All_My_Love.png Bun_Dem.png

max.png 50.png

Oh, and of course I should mention;

If you don't already know so, MODIFY the items I RECOMMEND to bring. Don't take my exact setups unless you have almost or EXACTLY the same stats! These recommendations are a backbone for you to experiment and find the perfect build for you!

max.png 50.png

I believe I already wrote in the guide that I personally use Bandos/Dragon because I don't care to be able to afford those items. Plus, steads are only beneficial if you have money to BLOW. Otherwise Dragon Boots do the job. If you're reading this guide for tips, you most likely don't have Nex gear and other extremely high level items at your disposal.

But I appreciate your advice :tup:

Edit: Yes, you could use magic. I'll expand/rename this guide once I fully understand battle magic with the release of EoC.

max.png 50.png

It is the fairytale quests for access to fairy rings. Fairytale 2 is for access, with a lunar/draman staff, if you do Fairytale 3 you do not need one of those to be able to use them.

• Like 1

Ace_of_Bluud.png
Ace_of_Bluud.png
Ace_of_Bluud.png
Ace_of_Bluud.png
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Not sure how much my comments will help...

In the written portion of your guide you don't mention anything about cape but in the picture set up we see you are wearing. Possible order of capes for melee:

Completionist Cape/Max Cape > TokHaar > Fire cape > Skill cape > *Cape of Legends/**Soul Wars Cape

For magic, the Guthix cape provides a 2.5% crit on magic, so that may be an option when you try magic.

You also List the bws for off hand, but I think a bss would be better. Same stats but with a higher prayer bonus.

Third, you mention any Barrows armor under Bandos but I think you should specifically mention Verac's over other Barrows for it's prayer bonus. And Verac's helm = Helm of Nezzy since Nezzy has a better prayer bonus.

Lastly, you mention that your combat level *2 +1 = non aggressive mobs.

Actually, if you have a higher combat that the monster they aren't aggressive to you. If not, they are. I am a level 165, but being 1 level under the spirits in the dungeon, they still attack me. But since 165 > 128 the Brutal Green Dragons won't.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

• Like 1

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

It is the fairytale quests for access to fairy rings. Fairytale 2 is for access, with a lunar/draman staff, if you do Fairytale 3 you do not need one of those to be able to use them.

Thanks! Updated the guide.

In the written portion of your guide you don't mention anything about cape but in the picture set up we see you are wearing. Possible order of capes for melee:

Completionist Cape/Max Cape > TokHaar > Fire cape > Skill cape > *Cape of Legends/**Soul Wars Cape

For magic, the Guthix cape provides a 2.5% crit on magic, so that may be an option when you try magic.

You also List the bws for off hand, but I think a bss would be better. Same stats but with a higher prayer bonus.

Third, you mention any Barrows armor under Bandos but I think you should specifically mention Verac's over other Barrows for it's prayer bonus. And Verac's helm = Helm of Nezzy since Nezzy has a better prayer bonus.

Actually, if you have a higher combat that the monster they aren't aggressive to you. If not, they are. I am a level 165, but being 1 level under the spirits in the dungeon, they still attack me. But since 165 > 128 the Brutal Green Dragons won't.

Thanks! I remember in old RS, that was how you determined if a monster would be aggressive towards you, or not. (Given they weren't aggressive in the first place.)

Updated the guide

Lol at the stats =D

Quality post will read again.

max.png 50.png

right so I'm not sure if my advice will be worth anything but........

1:MORE PICTURES, they say a picture is worth a thousand words(i disagree), but there definetly need to be more pictures: how to get there, how killing works. You should include a section to say what to do should you die.

2:To suggest an alternate to melee which has abysmal mage def, try maging. You can still train def/mage, and up close youll have excellent defence against melee, and decent defence against mage.

3: Add a table of contents, and if you can, put everything in hide tabs

On another note; good guide, welcome to tif, and most of all: nice dog picture

• Like 1
meamzed.png

Alright. I would be more than happy to record videos, I'm just not sure what to download that won't give me viruses, that has GOOD picture quality, etc. Editing really isn't necessary, I'm just posting it here from Youtube most likely.

I was planning on expanding it eventually to include magic, but lately I haven't been on much. I've been afk doing a lot of school work while only playing 30min -1 hr of RS, all of which is spent in the RuneSpan because afk'ing other stuff isn't working for me right now.

I like that idea too. Would you like to see some special "sections/tabs" to be put in, rather than others? (Name wise, or usefulness.)

Thank you again!

max.png 50.png

I personally haven't ventured out into EOC as much as I should.

But anyways, comparing items in the Tip.It item comparing tool, if you have the money for Bandos boots and price/stat bonus value doesn't mean much, get Bandos boots. The bonus really isn't much at all, so you'd be fine using Dragon Boots for the price, IMO. Thanks for the suggestion, though :)

max.png 50.png

• 2 weeks later...

The part about aggressive mobs is incorrect. Being 194ish combat atm, spirits are still aggressive.

That was the old forumla. I believe they changed it so that that monsters are either always or never aggressive, until possibly a certain level range (unable to test, since I'm 190+).

As for this guide, why would you melee? Magic is multiple times faster, and a lot safer. Batwing gear is sufficient for this place if you're a high level mage with access to soul split and a penance aura.

Though I suppose if you hate magic now for some reason or want a challenge, sure, why not. Still seems highly inefficient (granted, I am guilty of meleeing mithrils on beta server).

As for some tips, glory has more prayer than fury now, at the cost of a mere .3% crit chance (hence why I got rid of my fury). Use a penance aura, it is absolutely worth it. If you don't use penance, grab a bone crusher with a demon horn necklace (or just the necklace and bury the bones for 300 prayer). This way, even with penance, you'll last a lot longer (possibly nearly forever with magic and SS).

Also, have you tried using the chaotic maul here? I believe I've heard that 2h weapons have a small overall % higher dps than dual-wield weapons of the same tier, and since mithrils are weak to earth spells, I'm not sure if they have even defenses against stab as they do crush, or if stab is still slightly better against them.

Otherwise, well written, I just find the concept slightly amusing =P

• Like 2

Ss4goku264.png

ss4goku264.png

• 3 months later...

Due to recent additions to the game and because I have a new account, this thread is considered more of a read through, than an actual help guide. (Until I train my account back up to something worthy of killing Mith's.

Until then, I'll be questing and training to bring you all the very best guide! :)

max.png 50.png