Pin Number Useless?

FTTW

So today Is witched worlds and lagged while trying to access my bank. I accidently hit the "I don't know it" button and I get a message saying "You pin will be deleted in 3 days unless you put in the correct pin number", or something along those lines. I just think it's kind of stupid how you are able to delete your pin like that. If someone accesses your account, they just need to push that button, wait 3 days, and cha-ching! They've got all your items.

Discuss.

RSN: F T T W, 1167 Total, 117 Combat, All F2P

Current Goal: 97/99 Defence

I am The Walrus.

If there's a reason why PINs would not be effective it is that anyone stupid enough to tell a 'friend' their password would also tell them their PIN.

Keyloggers are responsible for only a very small proportion of 'hacking' in my experience. Preventing immeidate access to someone's bank when they are successful is surely a good thing.

In any case removing the option to erase the PIN isn't an option. Many players take extended breaks and may forget their PIN, so would need a way to regain access to their bank. If someone is worried that they would get hacked within x days of their last login they should install and regularly update and run reliable anti virus and anti-spyware/adware software, and change their RS password regularly.

Guest AshKaYu

Make it something simple, like your street adress or your phone number. Maximum of three wrong ones per week(i.e., say my pin was 5555, and i typed in 5554 three times, then my bank would be inaccesible for a week.)

Hmmm... way around pin?;

One time, I clicked I forgot my pin because i wanted to remove it. It told me I had to wait 3 days blah blah. The next day i came on and spoke to the banker, he told me something about how my bank pin would soon be deleted and I had the option to confirm, so I did. Then boom, my pin was gone. One day, not three.

Combat FTL

Combat_FTL.png

If you are worrying about bank pins being deleted after a while, you are looking at the problem the wrong way. The bank pin is your third line of defence after the secret questions and password.

If you feel someone can get to the point of deleting your pin, you might want to consider getting a strong password and secret questions in addition to having firewalls, antivirus, antispyware and suchlike.

sig5qf.gif

# 1101 to 99 range on 12-18-05

85 slayer on 12-18-05 with combat at 102;

retired from members since Feb 06.

Back since June 07. 2000+ total.

I'm not worried at all. I've been playing 2 years+ and I've never changed my password, never been hacked etc.

The point is, if someone gets on your account and changes your password, what's to stop them from deleting your pin?

I'm not saying it's a bad tool, it's a great idea, I just think it needs a little adjustment to prevent that.

RSN: F T T W, 1167 Total, 117 Combat, All F2P

Current Goal: 97/99 Defence

I am The Walrus.

well i was hacked last night ( probly a keylogger which i have yet to find ) and i had a pin but they wee still in my bank and stole all that too... bulk was in inventory (14.5 mill ) but still had a couple mill in bank. Now i got nothing and i have lost all faith in the pin

If you are worrying about bank pins being deleted after a while, you are looking at the problem the wrong way. The bank pin is your third line of defence after the secret questions and password.

If you feel someone can get to the point of deleting your pin, you might want to consider getting a strong password and secret questions in addition to having firewalls, antivirus, antispyware and suchlike.

Isn't the secret questions more of a recovery thing that defense? Or at least it's be the 3rd line, since they'd hack your pass, try and hack your bank pin, then your recovery details get the account back? I dunno, that's how I see the layout.

But yea, if you're worried about the 3 day bank pin deletion, change the time limit for it. Make it a week.

61784167.jpg

I'm not worried at all. I've been playing 2 years+ and I've never changed my password, never been hacked etc.

The point is, if someone gets on your account and changes your password, what's to stop them from deleting your pin?

I'm not saying it's a bad tool, it's a great idea, I just think it needs a little adjustment to prevent that.

i thought your way as well...

i had a secure hard to guess password...

i got royally [bleep]ed...

before i was intruded upon i was a pmod.. (the most valuable thing i had)

I had a mask set

i had a phat set

i had 2 santas

thats a ton right there..

I had no bank pin (god i wish i had.. i realize its annoyance is so small)

i also lost a ton of headless arrows a ton of herblroe supplies and a ton of magic logs (2500+)

10k nats

10k bowstrings...

god DAM its worth it to have a [bleep]ing bank pin...

set your recovery to 7 days...

also go to https://www.grc.com/passwords

get a cryptographically secure password (so people can't guess it)

also use that to get a random lettering for your bank pin (thats what i did)

and your pretty much set

have a decent basic firewall.. get AVG for free (or any basic antivirus)

run adaware and spybot constantly and you will be ok

mementh.jpeg

The following statement is true. The previous statement is false. 60% of all statistics are made up 90% of the time

andrew i love you & want you to have my babys!!! <3:

Finally, I get to save the Earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows!

its just used to slow down the hacking process lol. mine saved my account i beleive. i couldnt log on because it said i was already logged in. it might have been lag because the servers went down shortly after. but back on topic, the three days should be enough time to save your bank

Dragon Drops: 5 medium helmet, 3 left shield half

Obby: Maul 1, Cape 1, Shield 1

its just used to slow down the hacking process lol. mine saved my account i beleive. i couldnt log on because it said i was already logged in. it might have been lag because the servers went down shortly after. but back on topic, the three days should be enough time to save your bank

yep it will save your butt

just set i to 7 days, there has to be some way to change/get rid of it incase you forget it.

yep.. 7 days is long but honestly would you rather have a hacked account?

i now have all my passwords on a USB key that i keep with me and i don't EVER EVER EVER leave it plugged into the computer

mementh.jpeg

The following statement is true. The previous statement is false. 60% of all statistics are made up 90% of the time

andrew i love you & want you to have my babys!!! <3:

Finally, I get to save the Earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows!