Struggling with Player Owned Ports

Neos_Matrix

I've just recently returned to members after, 6 months and just begun doing my Player Owned Ports. It looks a hella fun which I've begun to strive for Tetsu Armour. Problem is, the Skull Region requires a very high stats (4000+ Seafaring, 6000+ Combat) and my ship and crew can't handle that. I get a maximum of 28% success rate which I know is taken from the lowest stat in the voyage.

Should I concentrate on the Arc Region to level up my crew and horde as much Bamboo/Chimes? Or am I doing something wrong here.

Elricedward.png
Barrows Items: 1x Dharok's Platelegs, 1x Veracs's Plateskirt, 1x Dharok's Greataxe, 2x Torag's Platelegs, 1x Akrisae's War Mace, 1x Ahrim's Robeskirt, 3x Akrisae's Robetop, 1x Guthan's Warspear, 1x Akrisae's Robeskirt, 1x Torag's Helm, 2x Verac's Brassard, 1x Karil's Pistol Crossbow

you are going to want he best crew you can possibly get. for skull i am not exactly sure what it would be but it would be some ratio of pure seafaring, morale and combat. if you can manage to get the resources to get skull level crew that would be best. if you need to do arc for a while that might be necessary

~~~Legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

What is considered 'skull leveled' crew? I have 2 golems with one mainly combat and the other a balanced mix of combat/morale.

The rest of my crew, I've been aiming for specific stats (Varrock Chefs for Morale, Brimhaven Pirates/Eastern Musketeers for Combat and Eastern Guide/Overseer for Seafaring) but its those voyages that require you both or all high-leveled stats that I can't do.

Elricedward.png
Barrows Items: 1x Dharok's Platelegs, 1x Veracs's Plateskirt, 1x Dharok's Greataxe, 2x Torag's Platelegs, 1x Akrisae's War Mace, 1x Ahrim's Robeskirt, 3x Akrisae's Robetop, 1x Guthan's Warspear, 1x Akrisae's Robeskirt, 1x Torag's Helm, 2x Verac's Brassard, 1x Karil's Pistol Crossbow

hmm well by skull level crew i mean the crew that you get form that region, from what i remember what you have is just about that region.

in terms of the higher level voyages getting low percentages idk. some will be very hard to do. luck of the draw sorry. i would say level up your crew and upgrade your boat to the best of your ability

ship upgrades may be the deciding factor for you

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

Yeah, the ship upgrades are quite expensive. The problem here is the better upgrades require gunpowder, which I struggle on voyages rewarding me gunpowder. Instead, I lost gunpowder on failed voyages -.-

Elricedward.png

If I can remember correctly (and someone could correct me if I am wrong) you'd want to upgrade your ship and crew in the following order for now.

Rudder>Ship components>Crew>The Port. Later I believe this becomes Rudder>Actual Ship>Ship components>Crew>The Port. Around the Bowl region the Crew and Ship Component places are switched.

So they best way of going about it would probably be to rest in the Arc region for a spell, or to send your best crew on a low requirement Gunpowder trip and then the rest for Bamboo. When you can, buy better crew for the Skull region (See here: http://www.tip.it/runescape/pages/view/pop_stats.htm) with at least 5 in sea/moral/combat.

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

I don't think you should ever go back unless it's to gather resources for an upgrade. The beginning of a new region is always very tough, you just have to fight through it.

Tg_Ibe.png

I don't think you should ever go back unless it's to gather resources for an upgrade. The beginning of a new region is always very tough, you just have to fight through it.

A 28% success rate is terrible. He risk his crew dying without a lifeboat, which if I recall, they changed back to 1 use. Considering he will need a bit of bamboo later on for The Port upgrades (Port score which really doesn't matter except for title and totems) he might as well boost his crew level in the Arc Region.

29386_s.gif

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

If your maxing at 28% your doing something wrong. Provide some screen shots of these missions.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

A 28% success rate is terrible. He risk his crew dying without a lifeboat, which if I recall, they changed back to 1 use. Considering he will need a bit of bamboo later on for The Port upgrades (Port score which really doesn't matter except for title and totems) he might as well boost his crew level in the Arc Region.

He shouldn't be stuck with a 28% success rate.. Regardless, I suppose you're right.

Tg_Ibe.png

My lifeboats are all still permanent as of this morning.

I would say getting crew is always better than getting ship upgrades.

My priorities would be New Ship>Rudder>Crew>Ship Upgrades>Port upgrades

Your crew only needs to level up to level 4-5 to be better than level 8 crew from the previous region and its better to level them up as soon as possible. Ship upgrades boost is never going to increase past what you initially pay for it.

I don't think I ever had a 28% rate when I got to a new region, lowest has been like 58%. When you have 1 ship you want 3 of the m/c/s crew, 2 ships you want 4 of each and once you have 3 or 4 ships you want 5 of each. The only other crew worth getting are merchants (I personally didn't get them until I got to the Bowl and got Jade merchants but that probably isn't optimal), Sea Witches (which are good until you get Pincers crew), Judge of Dice (Unlocked in the Bowl), and Oxheads (unlocked in the Pincers).

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

He'd probably still want ship upgrades or crew for the first three regions, since those actual benefit you more by giving more stats than level 4 crew of that region would and crew leveling is a bit slow in the first few regions.

29386_s.gif

I'll get some images within 8 hours. School's starting as we speak :P

But yeah, I really appreciated your guys help :)

Elricedward.png

He'd probably still want ship upgrades or crew for the first three regions, since those actual benefit you more by giving more stats than level 4 crew of that region would and crew leveling is a bit slow in the first few regions.

You may be right, I don't really remember the first 3 regions well in terms of how high my crew actually got to level. You get through those regions so fast that it might be worth it for the ship upgrades first.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword