Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RuneScape Authenticator Guide (Windows PC with pictures)

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Zantareous
[ Display Name History ]

Zantareous

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 424 posts

When you authenticate your computer will you ever have to re-authenticate the same computer in the future? (In other words, does the authentication expire?)

No, you won't. The only reason you should ever have to re-authenticate is if, for some reason, you think that the QR code or 16 character code got out of your control and might be used by someone else, at which point they give you a new code (they should, theoretically - I haven't tested this out yet, but not changing the code each time doesn't make any sense).

You won't have to re-link the authenticator on your computer/smartphone again, no, but you do have to enter the short code generated from the authenticator once a month.

So it's the same code every time?  Or will that have to be generated every month?

Zanty.jpegsigquotes.png

Mischlings
[ Display Name History ]

Mischlings

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 879 posts
  • Location:State of Confusion (Michigan, specifically Ann Arbor)
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:MischlingsSH

When you authenticate your computer will you ever have to re-authenticate the same computer in the future? (In other words, does the authentication expire?)

No, you won't. The only reason you should ever have to re-authenticate is if, for some reason, you think that the QR code or 16 character code got out of your control and might be used by someone else, at which point they give you a new code (they should, theoretically - I haven't tested this out yet, but not changing the code each time doesn't make any sense).

You won't have to re-link the authenticator on your computer/smartphone again, no, but you do have to enter the short code generated from the authenticator once a month.

So it's the same code every time?  Or will that have to be generated every month?

Every 30 seconds, the authenticator generates a new 6 digit code. You have to enter that each time you log in, unless you check the box to remember you on that computer for 30 days. After those 30 days, your next login will require you to enter the 6 digit code that is showing on the authenticator when you log in.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mercifull
[ Display Name History ]

Mercifull

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,130 posts
  • RSN:Mercifull
  • Clan:Tip.It

A positive element of this is that it will introduce the concept of multi-factor authentication to a large number of people who will then hopefully implement it on their email accounts and social media sites. I have used the authenticator for years for Gmail, LastPass, Dropbox, Facebook and more.

I don't know why Jagex didn't enable the authenticator to login to the website though which is a bit odd. You can still do a lot of damage to an account by posting malicious things on the RSOF which could get someone banned. Usually when 2-step is enabled you need it all the time, it's a good start though.

I still don't understand why despite now implementing a really robust method of authenticating you still can't use case sensitivity or symbols in passwords.

Posted Image
Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Mischlings
[ Display Name History ]

Mischlings

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 879 posts

A positive element of this is that it will introduce the concept of multi-factor authentication to a large number of people who will then hopefully implement it on their email accounts and social media sites. I have used the authenticator for years for Gmail, LastPass, Dropbox, Facebook and more.

I don't know why Jagex didn't enable the authenticator to login to the website though which is a bit odd. You can still do a lot of damage to an account by posting malicious things on the RSOF which could get someone banned. Usually when 2-step is enabled you need it all the time, it's a good start though.

I still don't understand why despite now implementing a really robust method of authenticating you still can't use case sensitivity or symbols in passwords.

It should help with introducing it to people - once I got used to using 2FA with Google, I added it to everything I possibly could.

And you don't need it for the website? I assumed that was just because my computer was trusted... Wow, this is going to need some digging into (which I'm working on at the moment).

And yeah, their password strength is terrible. I remember when I tried typing in my password without capitals and it went through... my jaw literally dropped that they would be so stupid. I'm trying to figure out why they would do it that way, and none of those ideas are good.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

ajhaden
[ Display Name History ]

ajhaden

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • RSN:TigerWeevy

Would it still be worth having a bank pin?

Mischlings
[ Display Name History ]

Mischlings

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 879 posts

It adds a little bit of security. However if you always log out completely instead of going to the lobby and don't click the box for "trust for 30 days" or use a computer that no one else has access to, it's not really necessary. I'm keeping mine, since I'm very paranoid about security, but it's not all that necessary.

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed

It adds a little bit of security. However if you always log out completely instead of going to the lobby and don't click the box for "trust for 30 days" or use a computer that no one else has access to, it's not really necessary. I'm keeping mine, since I'm very paranoid about security, but it's not all that necessary.

The way I view a bank pin is that is always worthwhile.

If the worst case happens you you do get hacked in spite of everything else protection wise and you don't have one thats it poof bye bye everything.
If you do have one however you have 7 (or 3 if you like to set it less secure for no reason) days to secure your account before they can access anything other than your inventory and equipped gear.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Mischlings
[ Display Name History ]

Mischlings

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 879 posts

The way I view a bank pin is that is always worthwhile.

If the worst case happens you you do get hacked in spite of everything else protection wise and you don't have one thats it poof bye bye everything.
If you do have one however you have 7 (or 3 if you like to set it less secure for no reason) days to secure your account before they can access anything other than your inventory and equipped gear.

I didn't know exactly what they did when you tried to remove your bank pin - I just haven't had the motivation to try it yet (I'm going to be poking around a lot with their security pretty soon), but now that I know that, I definitely recommend keeping it. It's not perfect, but it definitely is better than nothing. 

XxTearGodxX
[ Display Name History ]

XxTearGodxX

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,213 posts
  • RSN:XxTearGodxX

Well I sent a tweet out last night to Mod MMG and Mod Mark on Twitter to see if it'd be possible to put this into the Bank Pin System and got a reply from Mod MMG.

6d128cb1556a788c5e4834dc03576bab.png

Posted Image

Mercifull
[ Display Name History ]

Mercifull

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,130 posts
  • RSN:Mercifull
  • Clan:Tip.It

Why would you want it added to bank pin? If you've got the authenticator on login you don't need it again on pin.

Posted Image
Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Urza285
[ Display Name History ]

Urza285

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,133 posts
  • RSN:Urza285
  • RSN2:Urza285
  • Clan:Looking: com/skiller

Why would you want it added to bank pin? If you've got the authenticator on login you don't need it again on pin.

I think maybe he is suggesting an authenticator in place of the pin.

Edit: that would be some annoyance when world hopping though.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [In Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts
I'd honestly rather leave the Bank PIN as it is. It's like the only security feature that doesn't depend on an external email.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Ammako
[ Display Name History ]

Ammako

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,541 posts
Surely they would keep the option to use regular bank pin if you didn't want to/couldn't use an authenticator.

Urza285
[ Display Name History ]

Urza285

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,133 posts
  • RSN:Urza285
  • RSN2:Urza285
  • Clan:Looking: com/skiller

Surely they would keep the option to use regular bank pin if you didn't want to/couldn't use an authenticator.

Having a randomized pin personalized for logging in is great for authenticating users. But doing so when you are tryjng to access your bank AFTER you log in is rediculous.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [In Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Steph
[ Display Name History ]

Steph

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
I would personally like the option to set a login pin.
Posted Image

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad
[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users