Live in the UK? What would you do with ��â�š���£350? (ID Cards)

dusqi

Got ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã350? (for US people, that's $525)

How about you buy an ID card?

41345538id28ye.jpg

Because the UK government just decided that you did [bbc.co.uk].

The way has been cleared for the introduction of identity cards after weeks of parliamentary wrangling ended.

The Commons has approved a compromise drawn up by the government, after the Lords repeatedly blocked the measure.

Anyone who renews a passport will have their details put on a national ID database - but now they will not have to have an ID card until 2010.

The Lords backed the deal by 287 votes to 60. MPs later approved it in the Commons by a margin of 301 to 84 [both the Conservatives and Labour voted for the measure, the Liberal Democrats were the only major party that voted against].

Peers had five times rejected plans to force passport applicants to get cards.

I like to put things into perspective this way. If the government gave away the ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã17Bn that will be spent on ID cards in prizes of ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã1m, then you'd have a 1 in 3530 chance of becoming a millionaire. Not bad odds really.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

National ID cards merely pave the way for heightened government control. Great...they need more control, right? :roll:

Eventually, when the world unites, one government will control everyone in the world.

I'm currently transitioning from a Wizard to a Mage and a Priest to an Archpriest. Lol both are nonexistant in the top 25. Hopefully I can change that. :D

Big brother already exists. I was in London last night on the underground going up the escalators when a load of drunk ppl came along and started messing with the escalators going up the down one for example. Then all of a sudden the escalators all stopped and a loud voice over the speakers went "Will the young people at the bottom of the escalators to the Jubilee line please stop being so stupid or you are going to hurt someone"

lol

Back on topic tho, i agree with ID cards, the Govt already knows everything about us anyway and id feel much safer knowing there was a database of all prints of people in the uk and i think that crime could decrease significantly. However, i dont really think its going to stop terrorism, the london bombers were all legal british citizens, and i certainly dont agree with the cost. That ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã300 would get me a lot of pizzas and dvd's ^_^

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

What would be the purpose of this? Age verification?

So far as I know only people over 18 will have them, either that or only over 18 will be required to have them.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

terrorism is [cabbage] it angers me that people live in fear because that helps terrorists achive their goals.

Australia is looking at the same system

I think its mostly pointless but it would be real good to cut out welfare cheats

Australia has a labour shortage were we have to bring workers in from overseas yet welfare payments are on the increase.

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

Big brother already exists. I was in London last night on the underground going up the escalators when a load of drunk ppl came along and started messing with the escalators going up the down one for example. Then all of a sudden the escalators all stopped and a loud voice over the speakers went "Will the young people at the bottom of the escalators to the Jubilee line please stop being so stupid or you are going to hurt someone"

That's scary!

It's not just the cameras, there are people behind them :shock:

Back on topic: I don't think people should spend 350 pounds [conspiracy]to have their lives more controlled by the government[/conspiracy].

If the cards were free I think it would be OK, but who would spend that much money on a card that gets no advantages for yourself?

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

That's scary!

It's not just the cameras, there are people behind them :shock:

Back on topic: I don't think people should spend 350 pounds [conspiracy]to have their lives more controlled by the government[/conspiracy].

If the cards were free I think it would be OK, but who would spend that much money on a card that gets no advantages for yourself?

I don't think they're spending the money directly, from what I got the government is spending that much per card

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

I don't think they're spending the money directly, from what I got the government is spending that much per card

Pray tell, where do you think the government gets that money from?

Guest GhostRanger

I'm not quite sure what I would think about this in America.

As Merc said, they already know everything about us so an ID card might just be convenient to have. I don't know about England, but we already have Social Security Numbers so the government is obviously already tracking us and our status.

Paying for it though...I'm not so sure about that. Maybe $2 per card (can't imagine it would take much more to produce them).

You have to love unfunded government ideas.

From taxes that you would have paid anyways?

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

What would be the purpose of this? Age verification?

So far as I know only people over 18 will have them, either that or only over 18 will be required to have them.

To be honest, id like it. Im short for my age and constantly being asked for age verification but cant provide it. I dont exactly carry my passport every where I go.

Yay for BB?

knkcopy.jpg

which could have been speant on hospitals or schools... i know where i'd rather my ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã350 went.

oversized.jpg[/bads]

Smithie, I respect you and everything, but don't start debating where the money came from when you don't live here man.

Crap! My passport expires soon! :( I don't wanna have my biogenitcalchemical data on the govt. files, I'm not a criminal.

Crap! My passport expires soon! :( I don't wanna have my biogenitcalchemical data on the govt. files, I'm not a criminal.

Never travel abroad legally again :D

Runesmithie: Get it?

michaelsigwm5.gif

"apinagez... let me

Yes because the government has loads of spare money kicking around, they can easily shell out ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã350 per person.

To be honest, id like it. Im short for my age and constantly being asked for age verification but cant provide it. I dont exactly carry my passport every where I go.

There are plenty of other options. First of all you could get a provisional drivers license for ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã20-30, or one of those age verification cards. I wouldn't want to carry a passport around with me all the time either.

There are plenty of other options. First of all you could get a provisional drivers license for ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã20-30, or one of those age verification cards. I wouldn't want to carry a passport around with me all the time either.

Either way, Im really not bothered. Be it an age verification card, ID card or provision driver license.

knkcopy.jpg

Hmm, i'm not sure what to make of it. I'm sure it'll help track criminals and keep tabs on people generally, but it certainly won't stop terrorism like they claim. ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã350 is a lot of money, but i think the worst thing is how the much the whole administration and computer system will cost. Knowing the British government it'll be many times the amount that they claim.

I'm not too keen on the idea of them having all my biometric data either, I know they say if you haven't done anything wrong what have you got to hide, but it just doesn't feel right. Call me a conspiricist but if someone corrupt got their hands on that information who knows what could happen.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

You have no document with your picture, birthday, father/mother name and your name and signature in UK other than your passport? :shock:

If so of course you must have those cards!

michaelsigwm5.gif

"apinagez... let me

Got ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã350?

i heard it was more like ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã35

and the bbc website has nothing about the price

ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã30-ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã35 is the direct cost that they will charge you for a card (though if you need an 'enhanced' biometric passport the cost will be around ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã85-ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã93), the London School of Economics estimates that the scheme will cost ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã17Bn in total, so you'll pay the final ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã315 through taxes. Though the article suggests that there is some kind of debate going on as to how much the cards will cost, I watched an episode of Question Time this month on which the issue of ID cards was debated, and despite there being politicians from all parties present, including the government, the ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã17Bn price tag was taken as axiomatic.

Everyone will also have to attend an appointment to be photographed, have your fingerprints taken and iris scanned, or be fined up to ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã2500. Additional fines of up to ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã2500 may be levied each time you fail to comply until you submit to these procedures.

What amuses me particularly is that the Labour Manifesto, which was the basis for the country voting them in, states that ID cards will not be compulsary. Indeed, they won't be compulsary unless you want to rent or sell a home, stay in a hotel, buy a car or mobile phone, open or use a bank account, travel abroad, register with a doctor, get education, work or run a business... or (officially) die.

~~~

p.s dusqi maybe we should get Bob Russel on it :wink:

Hey dude! Totally surprised to see you post :D I bet Bob Russel voted against it, he rocks :D

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

You have no document with your picture, birthday, father/mother name and your name and signature in UK other than your passport? :shock:

If so of course you must have those cards!

If Cad is younger then 18, nope, but if older, just get it now!

I take a samll idendity in my wallet wherever I go... But taking a passport!? Risky....

~komodo

komododabst3cn.png