the advent of chinese farming in Runescape

chris1216

For those of you that know some stuff about WoW, then you probably know what I'm talking about. Chinese companies where hundreds, maybe thousands of people are paid to sit there and do something menial, like mining ess or cutting yews, which are then converted to gp and sold for actual money on ebay or other sites.

Of course, some of these chinese farm companies also probably use macros as well.

Thoughts?

What do they pay?

If by that you mean what do the companies pay the people who do the actual clicking, they're paid in yuan (chinese currency) I assume. As for how well, they're most likely on sweatshop levels of pay.

Or if you mean what do people pay for RS gp, you'd have to check ebay, i don't remember how much gp is going for in dollars these days.

Maybe u mean all that lvl 3 autos whose names are always like xiaozan, xiaoko, xiao... :roll:

actually, i've conversed with a few of those autos in chinese.

I actully have not seen anybody with a chinse name.

troope1.gif

I will shoot down any one with my bitting wit, and sarcasm!

What POSSIBLE reason would someone have to make a fake like that?Does he profit from faking a picture like that? Does it help him at all?Jesus Christ, stop being so suspicious. This is Tip.it for God's sake, not RuneHQ. -_-

lol just go to any f2p server and check either yews right south of falador or aubury (the rune ess teleport guy in varrock)

xiao, qui, liao, hui, any names like that. you'll find tons.

yup. i wonder who buys that gp anyway? i see many of them it's scarey. what reallyt amazes me is that they all look the same. same body style i mean if you look (especially on those yews south of falador) they are identical. sacrey, eh?

tipitlessersigea3.png

I find this kind of racist....

BUT ur right :cry:

Actually, its not racist because

1) It's true that most of these companies are based in china and employ chinese workers (obviously)

2) The non-macroing lvl 3 chars can't fluently speak english but can converse well with me in chinese

3) I'm chinese, so it wouldn't really be racism.

And yes, the pay is so low that it might as well be slavery. But discussions about the sweatshops and China's economic power being dependent on sweatshop labor is a whole 'nother can of worms.

A few months back there used to be dozens of them on every server, they were all autoed using Aryan and would mine essence 24/7.

Here's a story I read a while back [concerns farming in WoW]:

Best Ruining the Very Livelihood of Someone You Will Never Meet In Real Life

Many people donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t know this, but often players that farm gold are under daily quotas. People also donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t know that the players tend to work in shifts on the same account with a partner, and the ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅpartnerÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

I know the price. I pay it gladly.

even though i find this pretty racist, i will keep my opinions to myself, since i happen to have origins in china

to start, you all dont realize how little people in 3rd world countries make. when i visited china, i saw people all over the place working for roughly 10 yuan per hour WHO HAD VERY GOOD JOBS. this translates to $1.25 an hour in america. my parent's friends make $5,000 yuan a month in china, and they are living very well off. that translates to $825 a month. in america, the lower class can make more than that a month, with a mediocre job. in china, mediocre jobs involve making less than 1 yuan an hour. that translates to .125 CENTS an hour. considering that americans are willing to pay more than 3rd world countries, i am not surprised that there are companies that do this. they make a much better living than they could without selling directly to well established countries, and no matter how wrong this is, it is necessary to live a good life. we take for granted how much money we make, and we never think about how little others make.

R.I.P. Shiva

That is pretty saddening...the pay is so low it may as well be slavery...

This is the problem with Americans.

We see suffering in different parts of the world,

say "How terrible!" and then continue drinking our $5.00 StarBucks...

When suffering doesn't directly effect us in some way, we don't care.

But, for example, if you have an infestation of ants, you go and buy an arsenal of poisons in an attempt to obliterate the ants.

Americans' heads are so far up their butts that we cannot even see the light of day.

I have heard about gold farmers for other games in Eastern Europe, so the incidence is not limited to China alone.

But yes, I've seen them when I was last at the Varrock east bank on a f2p world.

even though i find this pretty racist, i will keep my opinions to myself, since i happen to have origins in china

to start, you all dont realize how little people in 3rd world countries make. when i visited china, i saw people all over the place working for roughly 10 yuan per hour WHO HAD VERY GOOD JOBS. this translates to $1.25 an hour in america. my parent's friends make $5,000 yuan a month in china, and they are living very well off. that translates to $825 a month. in america, the lower class can make more than that a month, with a mediocre job. in china, mediocre jobs involve making less than 1 yuan an hour. that translates to .125 CENTS an hour. considering that americans are willing to pay more than 3rd world countries, i am not surprised that there are companies that do this. they make a much better living than they could without selling directly to well established countries, and no matter how wrong this is, it is necessary to live a good life. we take for granted how much money we make, and we never think about how little others make.

The people doing the actual farming are making next to nothing. The only ones making a reasonable living off of these schemes are the people running the companies. Right now we are thinking about how little these people are making, a few people have already commented on how appalling the idea and have compared it to a kind of slavery.

I know the price. I pay it gladly.