Wilderness graphical update

biggy08755

We are continuing to improve the graphical look of our older areas of map to bring them up to the same standards as the new areas we've been developing. This week we've updated the graphics throughout the Wilderness, so if you're feeling particularly brave, check out the new lava areas, castles and an extremely fiery volcano.

To help you get around all of this, we've also introduced some new teleportation portals. The portals act as a new way of travelling around the Wilderness, but be careful: Once they're activated, there will be a short pause after which everyone in the immediate area will be transported to another portal, so don't rely on them to get you out of trouble. You may find that trouble follows you through... and you might end up in a higher level of Wilderness!

Battle Tortoises

The ingenious gnomes are continuing to come up with new ways to battle the Khazard troops. Now they've started breeding battle tortoises at the Stronghold. These armoured tanks, mounted by gnomic magi and rangers, are sure to be quite a challenge for General Khazard and his troops. They've already trundled some of them out onto the battlefield south-west of Ardougne.

Adjustments to Pest Control

We've made some adjustments to the Pest Control minigame we released last week.

Firstly, the game has been encountering issues where people turned up at the island with no intentions of helping to win, but just to stand around and get the rewards due to the efforts of their teammates. This is clearly not in the spirit of the game, therefore you now need to have dealt at least 80 points of damage over the course of a game to get a reward.

Secondly, we've put in a level 40 combat requirement to board the lander and play the game. Each player in a game of Pest Control increases the number of monsters in the game. As a lot of the monsters are pretty tough, this meant that it was extremely hard for lower level players to contribute enough to the team effort to make up for the added difficulty their presence had created.

We've also made it so that if more than 25 people board the lander, the people left behind will be given priority in being transported to the island on the next game.

We are planning some more changes, most significantly the ability to spend your Void Knight Commendation points on a greater variety of things than just combat xp. Taking a cue from the popularity of decorative armour from Castlewars, we are planning to make it so that you can earn that cool looking equipment you may have seen the Void Knights wearing.

If you're wondering about the Wilderness Tag minigame we mentioned in the monthly Behind the Scenes announcement, we've put that on hold for the moment. We felt that it could do with adjustments to make it enjoyable enough to meet your high standards.

well today at 11:30 am 14 years ago i was born.. wo0t!!!
At 11:30 you should start holding your head underwater wo0t!!!
Stop acting such a moron.

Non-members whose rune essence was converted to pure essence in last Thursday's update should find that they can now trade it and use it for runecrafting.

If you haven't already read it, then please see the previous news post entitled Rune Essence adjustment for more details on the Rune Essence changes.

i cheked the new wild (f2p) and pked with some friends

i have to say

it s**ks

normally i train my ranged at ice giants, they removed all trees at the ice gaints so its not possible anymore.

non multi east of gds, so easy to get away

so many hills u cant click "attack" anymore on some1

rox al over the place so u can get away from mages and rangers very easy!!!

another update that ruins the fun out of pking, lost me my favorite training spot for ranged.

and training for fun at gds is nor possible anymore to!

rsname: lord rex.
december 2011: ranked 107th best f2p player
march 2012 became member.

Lord_Rex.png

We felt that it could do with adjustments to make it enjoyable enough to meet your high standards.

Interesting, looks like Jagex wants less forum spam.

R.I.P The Old Nite. Heroes get remembered. But Legends never die. You were truly a Runescape Legend

newbankofrsyq0.gif

We felt that it could do with adjustments to make it enjoyable enough to meet your high standards.

Interesting, looks like Jagex wants less forum spam.

They wont get it, They never do, even if people like the update.

:x

I am going to try to stay as positive and constructive as possible in discussing this update. There are critical flaws with the wilderness changes, but I am confident that they can be remedied.

The most problematic change, was the addition of many extreme changes in elevation. When walking in the vicinity of the hills north of the lava maze and west of the greater demons, your screen automatically rises, forcing you to look directly down at your character. The result is very limited viewing area, which eliminates your ability to assess, or engage targets. In most instances, pkers easily log out, long before you even have a chance to see them. Even if opponents do not log out, you can often chase them long distances while your screen is pointing straight down, leaving you unable to attack, or see who you are chasing.

Returning these areas to a more flat, gently rolling landscape, is essential to the functionality of the wilderness.

The contrast between the lava, and the surrounding ground is so extreme that it is difficult to look at. I found my eyes straining to tell what was going on in areas adjacent to lava. If the contrast of these areas was reduced, I think it would go a long way to reducing the fatigue to ones eyes.

The addition of single combat areas just east of the greater demons is a big problem. The greater demons is, of course, the predominant location at which large clan encounters occur. It is vital that this location be exclusively multicombat to accomodate clan fighting.

Wilderness training areas have been removed. The lesser demons inside of the lava maze, the ice giant and moss giant areas have all been stripped of safespots. These three locations were crucial training spots, which i used heavily to achieve my range level, and they need to have obstacles returned to facilitate range and magic training.

There are portions of this update which I find very appealing, but currently they are totally overshadowed by the kinks which must be worked out.

31509signature.gif

I was just out there dragon slaying... didn't mind too much.

This is already posted about on the P2P board... but I guess since some of it is F2P as well it doesn't matter....

I LOVE the new wildy update! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE! So many hills makes it harder for them to attack me. =)

Can anyone post a screenshot of the new Ice Plateau? (Ice Giant Spawn) I want to see what it's like now but I don't want to go into the wildy at this time (working on mining endless loads of silver..)

ice plateau is the same exept the big evergreen tree, and those 2 small death trees west of it are gone

those where the safe spots for training ranged

i checked wild and PKed for 10 HOURS!! yesterday

yes 10 hours... i really had to check the wild each cmÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâò

everything i tell now is for F2P pking

i love pking, and tried to find new tactics using the hills and rox

I only found good ways to get AWAY from clans, to be safe, wich i dont really care, i make profit pking anyway

i always said wildernis is way to safe. now its totaly safe

U see a big clan running to ya, run in a valley behind a big mountain so they cant click ya and u have time enough to log out, they cant click on u for at least 3-4 seconds, or run east now, its only a few seconds away from gds to safety, and the hills make it so that mages cant bind.

pking now is pking without eyes. if u are able to attack some1 and he starts running over the hills or camera will point from above ur head, so u can only see what happens just befor ya, for rangers and mages its impossible to click again on your target or bind.

Wildy Has always been a big aspect of the game, and in my eyes wildernis should be more DANGEROUS, more higher lvl mosters,more multi, traps, trees and plants that take hp away... that is what it should be in my eyes.

+ Wildy should be a better training spot as the other places in the game because u have a big risk u lose everything. Now they take away al Mage training spots, range training spots.

The very good improvement in the new wildernis is at lvl 36 wild, far east, The new lobbie and swordy fishing place. This can come in handy if u dont want to make a whole trip to varr/edge again

the pking:

the first 7 hours i pked with a rather big team, didnt got many kills, made about 50k myself.

then i SoloPKed at gds for about 1 hour, got 100k (skimms, dhide..)

the last 2 hours i pked with a lvl 109 friend, made 900k profit (400k each)

(best kill we got was a rune miner "the old nite" :D (got picture) got 23 rune ores and a rune skimm)

rsname: lord rex.
december 2011: ranked 107th best f2p player
march 2012 became member.

Lord_Rex.png

The very good improvement in the new wildernis is at lvl 36 wild, far east, The new lobbie and swordy fishing place. This can come in handy if u dont want to make a whole trip to varr/edge again

OMG ARE YOU SERIOUS. HOOOOLY CRAP. Okay, maybe I will like this update then XD

I am a tree.

I was just out there dragon slaying... didn't mind too much.

This is already posted about on the P2P board... but I guess since some of it is F2P as well it doesn't matter....

I LOVE the new wildy update! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE! So many hills makes it harder for them to attack me. =)

I posted first :wink:

I love it. I myself am not a pker and so I enter the wild trying to get goals done, not to pk people...the wilderness looks much cooler now, and the teleporters help with getting to high level wild fast, saving walking time.

sir%20nomad.gif

normally i train my ranged at ice giants, they removed all trees at the ice gaints so its not possible anymore.

Yes.....coz god knows.....you can't possibly ever...ever train without trees........

99 fletching

99 woodcutting

99 firemaking

Yes.....coz god knows.....you can't possibly ever...ever train without trees........

If you're ranging, you cannot stand there and take hits from ice giants. It's a 10 minute round trip to bank, and you would probably eat a full inventory of lobsters in 20 minutes, wearing dragon hide. There is no way to feasibly train at the wilderness ice giants for a ranger or mage anymore.

I personally trained from approximately 75-99 range there. I would be livid if I still needed to train and Jagex ruined my favorite spot. Luckily for me I am done ranging, but many other players are not so fortunate.

31509signature.gif

OMG ARE YOU SERIOUS. HOOOOLY CRAP. Okay, maybe I will like this update then XD

Yes! Spots wander from level 35 to 38 wildy, in and around the culvert, with a dead tree or 2 not too far away. The area is east of the multicombat, and is non-multi.

One problem, the waterhole effect... predators waiting for those who come to feed!