Convincing your parents about P2P

whirlyboy

Ok. So my dad let me have members before, i quit just before it ran out:

1) I wasn't going to get it again

2) People at school were like;"Yeah runescape is s**t""What a cr*p game" (Peer Pressure?)

So, i've gotten back into it a hell of a lot recently, and have been asking my dad about members again. The excuse is:

"Well last time you had it, you didn't use it all up"

or

"I think it's all a scam"

So, like the title reads, how can i tell and convince my dad about getting members?

Whirly_Boy.png

kju32.gif-A Magical Flying Elephant

hbga3.gif-Blue bird who enjoys Chompy hunting (The head feathers)

Tell him you enjoy the game and it is boring without the members, try telling him something about the game and the additions you get when getting members.

Good luck ;)

record.jpeg

I play runescape. My close friends don't play but they accept that I do. If your friends can't accept you play runescape then they aren't great friends.

Convicing your dad: Offer to pay for runescape. That's what he did and he didn't have a problem although he was a bit wary because he thought they could scam him irl, if you have the same problem just show him how many people play...

sig5235ro7.jpg

Show him how many people play it. Also let him read the fourms. :D

What do you mean?

wel, let him read the forum and he will see some topics that expres how big and gr8 runescape is, and how much people are playing it

seasonmovingsig1bo.jpg

What do you mean?

wel, let him read the forum and he will see some topics that expres how big and gr8 runescape is, and how much people are playing it

LoL no. It will just show how bad the community is and it will be bad influence for him to play this game.

cyco_1.jpg

Dont let him read the forums, to many stupid posts. Make a deal to do chores around the house once a week or something. Show him how much the game has grown since you played last to show that your interest will be kept. Then show him the cs support page to show how professional jagex are.

P.S. help and advice next time :wink:

swordwarior.png

What can i say to him to say it's not a scam.
What I did for my dad was show him the billing FAQ's where he saw that you could cancel your subscription right after you pay and you still keep the membership credit. That's what we do every month.

Quit RS, combat 104, total 1651

ugafan2009.png

Say things that you have learnt from RS, maing a cake, a pie, a soup, making a house a home etc.

This should work, but i still arent being allowed to become a member. :roll: :(

mage,Mil%20Odedra.gif

Show him the game. Show him some screen shots of player houses, and cool members-thingies. And be excited. Parents cant turn down super jacked up desires of their kids. :P

Hes a guy, dad or not, he'll probably like the game, and might even start playing himself. 8-)

A circus in Runescape?? Oh my.

Leesters.png

Leesters.png

REMEMBER RUNESCAPE KARMA! Be a nice player, and nice things will come back to you.

I'm back, add me if you deleted me. :)

was he paying for u last time?

i'm paying for my own membership and that's why me dad lets me have it

so mabey if u paid for ur own u could have it too.

Yeah, offer to wash his car. lol. Or mow the lawn, etc, or something to "earn" the membership dues.

A circus in Runescape?? Oh my.

Leesters.png

Leesters.png

REMEMBER RUNESCAPE KARMA! Be a nice player, and nice things will come back to you.

I'm back, add me if you deleted me. :)

I had exactly the same topic in January or December over a year ago, I'll quote some good ones:

It's more risky to walk around in the streets, that's like scary stuff compared to paying via PayPal.

And unusual? There's thousands of kids whose parents have paid that, probably tens of thousands.

And 5 dollars/month is nothing really. Just leave one pizza uneaten or something :D

well ive got an idea (that i havnt tried myself)

Tell them its like paying for a ps2 game or X-Box game or PC game, except its cheaper, and u will never ever get bored of it becoz the $5 a month pays for updates that keep the game interesting ;)

Your allready talking to them about it. Thats the best thing to do. Don't bug , beg, or annoy them just find out their opinion. Agree when you agree, nod when you don't. Make sure their issuse with scams/fraud is adressed. Like you said compare it to other games, DVD's. {oint out you allready injoy it so it's not like a new xbox game they you might harly play after a month.

Let them browse the runescape forums. Point out only members can post, so every one posting has paid. Seeing the large number of people will help if they think it's a scam, or something like that. They can also read the complaints and complements forums to get the opinion of many others about the quality of the game. With payment, their are other methods to pay, and with the credit card, they can always call up and contest the charges. And stop payment on any future charges from them. I know alot of people don't feel safe paying over the net, but thats why you have other options.

After all that, If they don't want to get you the membership. Just accept it and enjoy free servers. Alot of times there are good reasons not to have members. With parents they think on many levels with out even knowing it sometimes. I could type for an hour about how to negociate but in the end it comes down to just talking to them and giving them time to think about it.

Maybe i should save this in notepad for all these type posts.

JAGeX won't scam you, they have thousands and thousands of paying costumers, do you really think they will chase all those thousand times 5$ away by just scamming you and letting you pay a month or two more?

Don't think so.

Most of the time there are like 18.000 members playing in 18 different words, at the same time. So let's say there are about 40.000 paying members. Which all pay 5$ a month, which sums up to $200.000 a month.

Why would they scam you and lose a yearly income of $2.400.000? Not to mention a huge fine and most likely some time in prison.

heres what i did :P

1. Catch them in a REALY good mood, that, or if your parrents drink, drunk :P both work good.

2. Tell them that one of your good freinds has members (find someone) and that nothing bad has happened to him.

3. Explain how 5$ a month isn't much at ALL.

4. Than explain all the extra stuff you would get, and how much more fun it would be!

5. Than comense with begging if they don't say yes.

6. Than, hopefully get members, and enjoy :shock:

i explained it to my dad like this who is computer illiterate...

ok dad.. its like i just got a car, its a really good car, but.. I DONT HAVE ANY GAS! i need gas to go places etc etc(lame, but it was a long time ago shut up :oops: )

wow thats good... i would have never thought of that...

anyway, i coulda had two more siblings in the time it took me to convince my parents to get members. i finally sat down with my dad in june, and had a half hour talk with him, and he agreed. now he is constantly asking my if i still play rs. anyway, my parents argument wasn't that it was risky or anything like that, it was that i spent too much time "in my cave on that damn computer!" and also i'm not the most popular kid around. hanging out with people, other then my girlfriend just seems stupid to me. you can only get into trouble with drugs and stuff, or get in social trouble by not doing it. so i have my own fun at home, i made sure i explained this to my dad late at night so as to see that my mom was in bed.

she found out three weeks later because my friend told his mom that i was now members, and then we went over their house for a bbq and she got mad, but never did anything about it. your problem is much easier to explain. i had to be more social active, more helpful around the house, pick up a sport, and start job hunting to finally cinvince just my dad... good luck i hope to see you when i pass by seers bank :wink:

( P.S. - you say your parents thought it was risky to send money to the US? do our pothead teenagers really give us that bad a reputation? i'm starting to feel sick that people look at me that way and it's not even my fault i live here :lol: )

All credits to them :idea:

Uula.png