Blink 182

palli

I don't really like them. I would only listen to one of their songs for a laugh, since their songs are usually humorous. And I just found out that their drummer, Travis Barker, is Dr. Phil's son.

I'm pretty sure that's a lie.

But Travis Barker is an amazing drummer. He used to drum for the Aquabats and the Vandals! :P

Along with Lars Ulrich, he is the most over rated drummer of all time. I can't stand him.

Well I for one happen to know a good deal about drumming, being since I played the drums for seven years (A little less than half) of my life. He is an amazing 'drummer'. He might not be the best at a drum set, but that's not really what I'm talking about. His technique is almost flawless; for you to say he is overrated would be like me saying that Elton John is an overrated piano player. No matter how much you want to stretch it, it just is not happening. :wink:

Well not really. Almost every experienced drummer will tell you the same thing. The thing that annoys me most about his playing is his inconsistency. Live, he sounds nothing like he does on the CD. You can put that down to him wanting to try something different with his playing but all he does live is use his snare and hi-hats for rolls. It's quite annoying. All Travis has is fast rolls that he keeps in time, for the most part. This is not impressive in the slightest.

Agreed to the inexperienced drummers eye he may not be that good, and his solos do get somewhat repetitive, however his technique is incredible and this drum solo is one of the best I have seen for his style of music. Watch ahead:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/TravisBarker1.html

:D

I'm not an inexperienced drummer.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest XplsvBam

I think you said you liked Blink 182 and I think you asked for another group like them. Well Angels and Airwaves is the same singer as Blink 182 and so I can't even tell the difference between Angels and Airwaves and Blink 182. So since you seem to like blink alot I would deffintely recomend you look into the melodies of 'Angels and Airwaves'.

I don't really like them. I would only listen to one of their songs for a laugh, since their songs are usually humorous. And I just found out that their drummer, Travis Barker, is Dr. Phil's son.

But Travis Barker is an amazing drummer. He used to drum for the Aquabats and the Vandals! :P

Along with Lars Ulrich, he is the most over rated drummer of all time. I can't stand him.

Well I for one happen to know a good deal about drumming, being since I played the drums for seven years (A little less than half) of my life. He is an amazing 'drummer'. He might not be the best at a drum set, but that's not really what I'm talking about. His technique is almost flawless; for you to say he is overrated would be like me saying that Elton John is an overrated piano player. No matter how much you want to stretch it, it just is not happening. :wink:

Well not really. Almost every experienced drummer will tell you the same thing. The thing that annoys me most about his playing is his inconsistency. Live, he sounds nothing like he does on the CD. You can put that down to him wanting to try something different with his playing but all he does live is use his snare and hi-hats for rolls. It's quite annoying. All Travis has is fast rolls that he keeps in time, for the most part. This is not impressive in the slightest.

Agreed to the inexperienced drummers eye he may not be that good, and his solos do get somewhat repetitive, however his technique is incredible and this drum solo is one of the best I have seen for his style of music. Watch ahead:

I didnt' mean that you yourself were an inexperienced drummer, I meant in general that Travis Barker's talent is not always that obvious, but very noticeable to people who play the drums like me, and I'm guessing yourself.

About Joey Jordinson, I think he is a good drummer, however all I see him do is play fast which, sure, is great, but gets pretty dull quite quickly.

sigstuff4qe.png

I don't know what it is, but something keeps telling me you "own"?

"When you're happy it's like you're a bird; you can fly. The only trouble is, you need other birds to fly with"

About Joey Jordinson, I think he is a good drummer, however all I see him do is play fast which, sure, is great, but gets pretty dull quite quickly.

Come on man, you can't seriously talk about how Travis Barker is good and then criticise someone else by saying 'All I see him do is play fast'.

I like punk and i'm not emo. I'm going to be nice and mature and just avoid the arguments.

I like Blink-182. I have all of their albums and I enjoy them. I also like Boxcar Racer, Angels & Airwaves, and Plus 44.

For those of you who do not know, Boxcar Racer was Tom DeLounge's (Blink's lead singer) side project. It is a band that has one album and it is great. Not the same style as old Blink-182 music.

Angels & Airwaves is the band that Tom is in now with a guitarist from Boxcar, drummer from The Offspring, and bassist from the Distillers. They are brand new and they have an amazing CD. It is a whole different genre of music from Blink-182 and I suggest you listen to it.

Plus 44 is Mark Hoppus' (Blink's bassist) new band. They are also very good and they are coming out with a CD in no time!

Travis, on the other hand, just broke up with the Transplants. I was never a huge fan of the transplants, but I did own one of the CD's. He is also a drummer in Plus 44.

csuser.jpg

Come on man, you can't seriously talk about how Travis Barker is good and then criticise someone else by saying 'All I see him do is play fast'.

Lol, I see the point you're making, however I still belive that Travis Barker's technique is far better, more controlled and more interesting than Joey Jordinson's drumming, which seems to me to be just never ending fills.

sigstuff4qe.png

"When you're happy it's like you're a bird; you can fly. The only trouble is, you need other birds to fly with"

Lol, I see the point you're making, however I still belive that Travis Barker's technique is far better, more controlled and more interesting than Joey Jordinson's drumming, which seems to me to be just never ending fills.

If you want technique and control listen to some of the stuff he does in An al Blast. Travis could not touch it. Travis drumming consists of simple beats and fast rolls.

If you want technique and control listen to some of the stuff he does in An al Blast. Travis could not touch it. Travis drumming consists of simple beats and fast rolls.

I never said Joey Jordinson wasn't a good drummer, as I do believe he is very good at the drums and does have technique and control, just not as adequate as the technique, control and variation of dynamics/tempo that I feel Travis Barker has.

In answer to your statement that he consists of simple beats and fast rolls... sometimes he does do simple beats and fast rolls, however there is nothing wrong with that, as it's the way you play them that makes the things you are playing good; as is evidential with a lot of Travis Barker's drumming. And do not presume that I'm saying that is all he contains of as it's not by any means. He's a great performer, always perfectly in time (vital for all good drummers), brilliant drummer for the style of music he plays for, very technichal and just in general in my opinion, a fantastic drummer to watch.

On a final note, please watch this:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/Trav ... iment.html

Can Joey Jordinson do those sort of rudiments? I think not.

JJ is a very accomplished speed drummer, however in my opinion he lacks the qualities that are necessary for a drummer in a band e.g. being able to hold out simple or complex rhythms incorporating fills and rolls into the piece. In every piece of drumming I have heard from him all I see is constant crashes and rolls. Don't get me wrong, this is fantastic for the style of music that Slipknot go for, however in most other bands, especially punk bands such as the various bands TB has performed with where the drumming is known to be very complex, I do not think JJ quite matches the high standard that Travis Barker has set in my mind.

sigstuff4qe.png

Joey Jordison is a ridiculously average drummer, his solos are especially terrible. If you want decent drum solos look up Neil Peart
But he does them while spinning and upside down. Its amazing to see live, and i dont even like Slipknot.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Joey Jordison is a ridiculously average drummer, his solos are especially terrible. If you want decent drum solos look up Neil Peart
But he does them while spinning and upside down. Its amazing to see live, and i dont even like Slipknot.

Neil Peart is great!

Btw Travis Barker also played the drums while doing a full 360 degree upside down turn when Blink 182 were touring with Green Day (I saw it on TV).

sigstuff4qe.png

I'm not discussing this any more. People are starting to think I see Joey as my favourite drummer and we're clearly getting nowhere. I'm also not going to turn this in to a 'he can't play this, can he?' argument

I didnt' mean that you yourself were an inexperienced drummer, I meant in general that Travis Barker's talent is not always that obvious, but very noticeable to people who play the drums like me, and I'm guessing yourself.

That video is fairly average. Too much pomp and circumstance without any really demonstration of technique. That said, part of the final section is notable better than the rest.

There isn't any impressive techniques there that a mediocre metal can't do. Most of the timing is very simplistic to say the least. He sounds in time, which is the least I'd expect from any drummer. He is too busy bouncing to the music in order to produce anything note worthy.

The most technical and speed orientated drummers tend to move as little as possible, minimize energy wasted and I believe that the smaller muscles in the body are able to move faster Ie, gripping the stick in your fingers and working the fingers without working much of the wrist can give a lot of speed. After a lot of training of course, I'm still struggling a little with using only fingers but I'm not too shabby with using only my wrists - very little movement from my arms except moving snare to tom etc.

I'm trying to think on a video worth watching but none come to mind. Speed isn't everything, I admit that but, there are some impressive techniques for getting extremely fast snare or bass drum hits that are nearly non-existant outside of metal. Proscriptor of the band Absu would be my recommendation, particularly his later stuff.

I used to play this game once....

If you want decent drum solos look up Neil Peart

Indeed, search youtube for videos. A better example of good technique than the video above. Especially, notice the difference in the amount of body movement. Neil barely moves yet is still able to produce speed and interesting rthythms without worry.

I used to play this game once....

I'm not discussing this any more. People are starting to think I see Joey as my favourite drummer and we're clearly getting nowhere. I'm also not going to turn this in to a 'he can't play this, can he?' argument

Ok, I see what you mean and I respect your wishes... truce? :)

sigstuff4qe.png

sigstuff4qe.png

sigstuff4qe.png

sigstuff4qe.png

sigstuff4qe.png

sigstuff4qe.png