Don't Download the Java Upadate

cyco

Java VM is what makes Java run on your computer unless I'm remembering wrong, and I'm sure it's part of java updates.

It stands for Java Virtual Machine, that I do know.

Alright, for all of those who dont want to read a long winded explination, just skip over this part, although you'll be worse for it (and wont understand it :P)

Java is a higher language. There are several "layers" of languages, and as you go up you program less and get less efficent. If I was programming Binary, I would be programming a lot more then if I was to program in machine code. If I was to program in machine code, it could take several lines to achieve what I could in a higher language that has pointers (more control over how RAM is used). If I program in Java, I dont even have to bother with assigning pointers.

Now for a bit of how this works: When you compile code it's checked over to make sure it has no errors by a program called a compiler, and then it's (usually) turned into machine code behind the scenes so that it can run on your computer. When you compile Java however, it is just checked-it essentially stays Java. Whenever you run something in Java, the JVM interprets it and makes it work. So the JVM is essentially what runs Java, unless something has changed-it does come with Java updates, but I believe the essence difference is that you cannot compile java code on a computer that only has the JVM.

----

Of course, I might be wrong on some of those things. Someone hit me on the hand and tell me what I'm wrong on if I am wrong on anything, I might've left out some things or gotten my facts wrong, it's been nearly a year since I last learned this (although I still do some java programming).

Java VM is what makes Java run on your computer unless I'm remembering wrong, and I'm sure it's part of java updates.

Alright, for all of those who dont want to read a long winded explination, just skip over this part, although you'll be worse for it (and wont understand it :P)

Java is a higher language. There are several "layers" of languages, and as you go up you program less and get less efficent. If I was programming Binary, I would be programming a lot more then if I was to program in machine code. If I was to program in machine code, it could take several lines to achieve what I could in a higher language that has pointers (more control over how RAM is used). If I program in Java, I dont even have to bother with assigning pointers.

Now for a bit of how this works: When you compile code it's checked over to make sure it has no errors by a program called a compiler, and then it's (usually) turned into machine code behind the scenes so that it can run on your computer. When you compile Java however, it is just checked-it essentially stays Java. Whenever you run something in Java, the JVM interprets it and makes it work. So the JVM is essentially what runs Java, unless something has changed-it does come with Java updates, but I believe the essence difference is that you cannot compile java code on a computer that only has the JVM.

----

Of course, I might be wrong on some of those things. Someone hit me on the hand and tell me what I'm wrong on if I am wrong on anything, I might've left out some things or gotten my facts wrong, it's been nearly a year since I last learned this (although I still do some java programming).

lOl, sorry you had to write that I thought he said VB I know what Java VM is. #-o

cyco_1.jpg

To fix the white screen bug minimise the window and then remaximise.

EDIT: I can't type at all today. :wall:

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

Is this the same White Screen that happens when you open up your RuneScape browser from another window?

i.e Looking at forums and then bringing up the other browser?

I'm having the same problem..

Wha.. What..? Where am I?

hehe, this is why i use ms java vm ;)

Great idea, go for the version that isn't being updated and is reccomended against installing by the company that made it? :P

In a little hilltop village they gambled for my clothes

I bargained for salvation and they gave me a lethal dose

I offered up my innocence, I got repaid with scorn

"Come in'', she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm"

hehe, this is why i use ms java vm ;)

Great idea, go for the version that isn't being updated and is reccomended against installing by the company that made it? :P

yea well i have used msjava for this game for 5 years instead of that bloated crap known as sun java and ive had _zero_ problems, its much better using msjava for this game for sure

----

That sounds about right to me, although its been awhile for me too.

two things:

1. I said MS Java VM...which is different then what your thinkin...Your thinkin java in general...probably sun java vm but sun doesnt use the vm abbrev.

2.You know when your walkin in a stobe light, you kinda stop-go-stop-go...well thats how sun java runs on rs for me...ive tried all the tweaks that jagex and techheads have said to do...doesnt work...so, i still use the non updated version of java...which works fine for me.

w4M8t.png

2.You know when your walkin in a stobe light, you kinda stop-go-stop-go...well thats how sun java runs on rs for me...ive tried all the tweaks that jagex and techheads have said to do...doesnt work...so, i still use the non updated version of java...which works fine for me.

thats yet another reason why people still use msjava, i feel sorta bad for those tring to play this game for the first time and only have sun java installed with the constant walk,stop,walk,stop :lol:

----

Did you forget how the VM is like a computer on your computer?

----

Did you forget how the VM is like a computer on your computer?

I explained that in a roundabout way, I didn't actually say it outright (never looked at it that way, but it could be interpreted as such).

Sun Java is what Java is, MS Java is Microsoft's version (I think it might've been made by Sun, but I'm not sure). Knowing Microsoft, they probubly made it work streamlined on the computer it came bundled with but not as well with other computers.

I don't worry about this stuff since I'm using a Mac with OSX 10.2.8 and Mac just bundles the Mac version of Java for your OS with the other drivers Mac bundles on. If I ever need an update I'll just switch the computers that I have on the fast connection.

Just a note: Sun Microsystems is the company that created Java, and they are the ones who add new main packages of stuff onto it. Anything you do with MS Java origionated with Sun Java :)

The MSVJM(Microsoft virtual java machine) was microsoft own implementation of the java virtual machine. However, it's a seriously deprecated version of the JVM, A few years ago, Sun Java sued microsoft in an anti-trust case. Sun Java won, so now all new version of windows come with Sun Java installed by default.

As far as which one works better is simply a matter of the persons computer that runs it. Older computers will probably have better luck running the microsoft version, while newer computers would benefit from running the latest stable Sun Java version.

Java is compiled into bytecode, which is then tranlated into machine code at runtime, via JIT compilation. The .NET framework uses the same JIT compiler concept. With JIT, the entire code isn't translated at the start of the program, it is tralated from byte code->machine code right before the specified code needs to be used, hence the "just in time" aspect.