Your Favorite Directors, why?

MyPurpleCrayon

probably Guy Ritchie, he does a very good job at portraying a mood with camera angles and music

I call fluke. Sure, lock stock was f'ing brilliant, but I'm really struggling to find another film he has made that came anywhere that.

Anyone who had to sit through Revolver can tell you that Guy 'The Fake Cockney Geezer' Ritchie isnt a great director, in fact he made a real mess of that film. Sure Lock Stock was entertaining but other than that I haven't enjoyed his films personally.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George lucas... nothing has to be said

Actually: Yes. Explanation is needed. I don't really see how he cuold be your favorite, with the few movies he has made. He directed the first Star Wars movie, American Graffity and THX 1138. And there's the three new Star Wars movies, which aren't that great. Sure, Lucas has been a very influential man in the history of cinema. But from all the things he did, direction is the thing he's least famous for, and that's not for nothing.

And tarantino didn't direct From Dusk 'Till Dawn. And I don't get your comment on Kill Bill? + Writing, producing, directing and taking a role in your movie really isn't something new, rare or special. I don't see why you're cheering so much for it.

If you want an explination of why George Lucas is a great director thats easy, every star wars, and American Graffity (cants say ive ever actually watched THX 1138). The only reason people dont appricate the direction of star wars 1,2 and 3 is because of the guy who played anikan did a [cabbage] job, also star wars was loved world wide, people were disapointed because they expected too much, get someone who's never watched a star wars or heard much of the hype (someone who's lived under a rock for 35 years) and get them to watch the first 3, they are great movies in their own right.

I am a Tarrantino lover (not in the bad way) i love his films and i believe that they should be viewed the way that he intended them to be viewed, would you be annoyed if the Godfather part 1 was split in 2 parts, how about The usual suspects?

Watching Kill bill in 2 parts for me is just plain wrong, i actually put both on my computer chopped them together and took out the middle (where uma thurman explains what happened in the last kill bill)... Thats how the movie was meant to be viewed and it is incredible.

The reason i applaude Kevin Smith so much is because he is my favorite actor and i have so much respect for him, how many directors would help their actors through drug addictions throughout the course of making a movie and not sack them instantly, Kevin Smith is a stand up great man. That is why i applaude him as i do.

Tarrantino is in fact an aweful actor and i admit so, but you've gotta admit his attempts at acting adds some great comic relief.

And Donnie Darko is a terrible movie, it one of those Film noir movies that belongs at the bottom of a $4.99 bin in your local convenience store...

Black flat

jimihendrixvz9.jpg

And Donnie Darko is a terrible movie, it one of those Film noir movies that belongs at the bottom of a $4.99 bin in your local convenience store...

:shock:

Explain yourself, please.

Ghost: I am prejudice towards ignorance, so that would explain why I appear to be so.

Just one of those movies that i truely did not enjoy, i felt as though everything lacked from the movie. Plot was just stupid, acting was terrible... It just seems like a very amaturish movie that could have been done by any film student, i mean it had a 6 million dollar budget, where did it go?

I realize that its expencive to make movies but i just dont see any part of the film that would be expencive to make, no elaborate sets that needed to be made, every location was already built, basic props....

Donnie Darko flopped in the box office for a reason.

Black flat

jimihendrixvz9.jpg

i thought donnie darko was pretty enertaining, thats why its my #1 movie, so i definently disagree with you there.

The reason i applaude Kevin Smith so much is because he is my favorite actor and i have so much respect for him, how many directors would help their actors through drug addictions throughout the course of making a movie and not sack them instantly, Kevin Smith is a stand up great man. That is why i applaude him as i do.

maybe not to many directors would help their actors through drug problems, but im sure most would help their best friend through drug problems. jason mewes and kevin smith were best friends before clerks.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

If you want an explination of why George Lucas is a great director thats easy, every star wars, and American Graffity (cants say ive ever actually watched THX 1138). The only reason people dont appricate the direction of star wars 1,2 and 3 is because of the guy who played anikan did a cabbage job, also star wars was loved world wide, people were disapointed because they expected too much, get someone who's never watched a star wars or heard much of the hype (someone who's lived under a rock for 35 years) and get them to watch the first 3, they are great movies in their own right.

I am a Tarrantino lover (not in the bad way) i love his films and i believe that they should be viewed the way that he intended them to be viewed, would you be annoyed if the Godfather part 1 was split in 2 parts, how about The usual suspects?

Watching Kill bill in 2 parts for me is just plain wrong, i actually put both on my computer chopped them together and took out the middle (where uma thurman explains what happened in the last kill bill)... Thats how the movie was meant to be viewed and it is incredible.

Black flat

He only directed the FIRST Star Wars movies, and he did the latter one. Which aren't that great. A director is responsible for the end-product, and in this case, it lacked. The first Star Wars movie was good, so were THX and American Graffiti. But to call him one of your favorite directors, that goes a bit far. On two mediocre ones and three good ones. Which you haven't even seen all three. You still haven't explained why Lucas is such an amazing director from your point of view though.

And the last three (Ep. 1, 2 and 3) star wars didn't suck just for Hayden Christensen or the young fella in Ep. 1.

The Godfather is a trilogy, so it is already split. And the Usual Suspects isn't even two hours long. It's not reasonable to split them. With kill bill it was, because four hours is too long. And if Tarantino didn't support the split, he wouldn't have done it. Tarantino is a brand. He can do what he wants (with exception of rating things). Oh, and a tip. Since you're quite the purist. Buy the Japanese versions of the movies. As they are comletely uncensored, unlike the other releases of kill bill. For instance: the black and white scene is done in color, there are extensions in the house of blue leaves scene and the anime scene is longer.. As Tarantino wanted it to be.

The reason you applaude Smith is because he is your favorite director (you wrote actor, but I take that you made a small mistake, that's okay). Kevin Smith is friends with Mewes, it's only logical he helped him out. And I don't really see how that makes his movies better. But it's okay, I can see why you like him. So there's no discussion needed.

And HOW THE HELL (sorry for caps) do you say that DONNIE DARKO is a FILM NOIR?? Did you even see it? Because if you say DONNIE DARKO is a noir, then you couldn't have seen it. And thus your statement saying it sucks is FALSE. (sorry if I sounded a bit aggresive this paragraph, I just got carried away). Donnie Darko may have flopped on Box Office, but it became a cult-hit after it's theatrical release, it has been a very succesfull movie. and that's not for nothing. You can't say Donnie Darko is bad because of it's acting, or it's plot. The plot is quite clever and complex, and the acting just isn't bad. You may not like it, but it is not bad. From an objective point of view you can not deny Donnie Darko has got an interesting plot and good acting. Besides, Donnie Darko didn't have a budget of 6 million dollars, it had an estimated budget of 4.5 million dollars. Which is 1/4 less of what you thought. BTW, Shawshank Redemption flopped at the box-office as well. It's not a factor to judge a movies quality on.

Meh, with previous replies, I was disagreeing with you as well. Sorry if I sound harsh or something. It isn't a grudge or that I don't like you or something. I just strongly disagree. Just felt like saying it, don't want to come over as a butthole.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

I'm a huge Star Wars fan (#1 favourite movie is A New Hope), but I wouldn't call them masterpieces directorally. I admit, Star Wars: A New Hope (the only of the original series directed by Lucas) was actually done quite well, in that it basically stayed out of the way, and even improved on the story at times. I consider that to be a good directing job. But by no means is it even supposed to be a movie about good directing. It's good, but not a masterpiece as it's not even trying to be in the field of direction.

I'm not going to actually post any favourite directors, as to be honest, any director that doesn't compromise the story in the name of directing, and can even improve upon it, is good directing in my books.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg