Making a website - which program?

funky_nappy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dreamweaver will be a great help, but its best that you learn it by doing it, not rely on using a program to learn about it, because its harder that way.

Google Html tutorials, i used Davessite.com or something when i learned a while ago.

yourmysin.jpeg

Current Goals

80/80 Fletching

60/75 Woodcutting

97/100 Combat

Dreamweaver is the best if you want to create a site with no prior knowledge of html but that can be expensive and IMO you shouldn't even attempt to create a site without basic knowledge of html

afflictionbanner2jf6.png

40 Barrows trips, 4 Barrows equipment (Guthans Helm, Veracs Helm, Ahrims Skirt, Dharoks Helm)

Nah nah nah, if this is a starter site,

I recommend these two tools...

For learning HTML-->CSS-->JS:

Lissaexplains.com

For writing out your HTML and CSS,

Use my good old friend (that I don't use anymore \' )

Notepad.

I have had good memories with notepad :boohoo:

for a starter site he has no prior knowledge of html. learning in notepad is stupid, it makes it much harder to preview etc.

try and find a wysiwyg until you learn html (but you have to learn html)

afflictionbanner2jf6.png

40 Barrows trips, 4 Barrows equipment (Guthans Helm, Veracs Helm, Ahrims Skirt, Dharoks Helm)

for a starter site he has no prior knowledge of html. learning in notepad is stupid, it makes it much harder to preview etc.

Hardly. Get something like EditPlus or Notepad++, something with syntax highlighting.

If you're only working with .html files and such, you can just keep a window / tab open with the page in it and just refresh when you make a change.

Two benifits to that.

1. You aren't being [bleep]ed around by a WYSIWYG editor failing to render your code correctly

2. You can actually see how changes to the html change your page.

Rather than changing it in design view and then trying to find what html changes occured.

It really is best to learn HTML/CSS on your own. Dreamweaver is great for assisting you... for example, getting a template or basic design down, but you should clean up the code afterwards, since any code generated by a program such as Dreamweaver/Frontpage is always very messy.

I would recommend Programmers Notepad, from here:

http://www.pnotepad.org/download/

It has syntax highlighting and stuff.

Dreamweaver is good, but you need to know HTML, really. PHP is useful, too. Learn that.

But from what is being said, it doesnt really matter what you use, Dreamweaver, notepad, whatever, but you HAVE to learn HTML, and probably CSS, too. PHP would be useful, if you want dynamic content.

tipitsig2gn.gif

If you really want to go with a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor then try NVU - it's free, open source, and standards compliant :)

I can support that. Good program.

For a notepad kind of program I'd look at 1st page 2000.

I learned HTML in notepad... lol.

I suggest you this:

If you're beginer with the computer: Microsoft Publisher

If you're good with the computer: Microsoft Front Page

If you're very good and know all the basics of computerm and you have BRAIN: Macromedia Dreamweaver

And for Images:

Macromedia Fireworks

untitled6kv7.gif

I learned HTML in notepad... lol.

Same here, and don't be stupid, the only way you are going to learn is by writting pure code yourself, plus, for a starter site, I wouldn't want to spend $300 just to do a website. Once I started getting into it, I did buy it.

Use Notepad, unless you are rich.

I suggest you this:

Please tell me you are joking?

You are joking right?

No?

Just... out of this thread =;

I suggest you this:

If you're very good and know all the basics of computerm and you have BRAIN: Macromedia Dreamweaver

And for Images:

Macromedia Fireworks

You have GOT to be joking... Sure, all of those application are great - IF you want simple basic, static pages.

And before you fly off the hook saying you know your stuff and what would I know I will point out http://darkwebz.com - None of which frontpage / dreamweaver are ever going to touch...

codbar.jpg

4wmbar.jpg

You have GOT to be joking... Sure, all of those application are great - IF you want simple basic, static pages that have more bloat markup than legit and aren't standards compliant.

fixed.

You have GOT to be joking... Sure, all of those application are great - IF you want simple basic, static pages that have more bloat markup than legit and aren't standards compliant.

fixed.

Very true....

BBEdit ftmfw

codbar.jpg

4wmbar.jpg

Dreamweaver, HTML is a ridiculously easy coding method to learn since it requires no logic, it's like using the console in Counter strike. Don't be a [developmentally delayed] and use notepad, there's absolutely no advantage to using it over Dreamweaver since Dreamweaver writes the HTML out for you and gives you an updated graphical representation of what the webpage looks like which notepad or any other geek tool doesn't do.

Dreamweaver, HTML is a ridiculously easy coding method to learn since it requires no logic, it's like using the console in Counter strike. Don't be a mentally challenged and use notepad, there's absolutely no advantage to using it over Dreamweaver since Dreamweaver writes the HTML out for you and gives you an updated graphical representation of what the webpage looks like which notepad or any other geek tool doesn't do.
So you're actually saying that I'm [developmentally delayed]ed because I don't require a [cabbage] graphical representation of what I'm doing in order to make it work?

Right.

Dreamweaver, HTML is a ridiculously easy coding method to learn since it requires no logic, it's like using the console in Counter strike. Don't be a mentally challenged and use notepad, there's absolutely no advantage to using it over Dreamweaver since Dreamweaver writes the HTML out for you and gives you an updated graphical representation of what the webpage looks like which notepad or any other geek tool doesn't do.

If you don't want to learn and you're just making ridiculously cheap pages for nothing more then displaying information - then sure.

Otherwise... Dreamweaver ftl.

codbar.jpg

4wmbar.jpg

If you don't want to learn and you're just making ridiculously cheap pages for nothing more then displaying information - then sure.

Otherwise... Dreamweaver (or any other wysiwyg) ftl.

codbar.jpg

4wmbar.jpg

When I made a page for my club, I made the page and sliced it with Photoshop and fixed it on Dreamweaver with the HTML and CSS. Obviously, I did the rest HTML and CSS by hand, but it's pretty darn useful for a beginner if you actually see right away what your code is doing to the site. So Dreamweaver ftw.

Guest GhostRanger

It's actually funny that you don't know the advantages to writing out your own code and you're trying to boast yourself as someone who knows about web design.