Tip.It Times Presents: I hate Jagex and Jagex hates me!

Kiara_Kat

That is a very good article :thumbsup: but sparks a question:

Why do we have a rants section if it only generates negativity towards the game and Jagex. I know it allows the players to vent their frustration, but the only rants that really should be allowed should be on the topic of macroers and cheats who do not play the game fairly or maybe those players who are incosiderate and do not cheat but ruin the game for others. NOT aspects of the game that are meant to be there. I mean, hey, if those aspects were non-existent, such as the chat filter, the game would be ruined and desicrated because some player had a problem with it. If you don't like something that you choose to do, don't do it. Also if you choose to do something and one thing frustrates you but the rest of it doesnt, just ignore it, it's makes logical sense.

Oops, looks like most of that could belong in the Rants section #-o

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started runescape back in 2001 and even then rs still had a personal touch.

with only a fraction of the amount we have today playing, jagex wasn't just about money.

the staff had time to play the game and we had people to look up to, this also created a sence of true real time authority in game. I remember the days at greater demons when Paul would tease us all with some kind of helm he had developed and just slaughtered us all.. but all was fun and games.. nowdays it would be.. "oh em gee he tricked me, jagex staff are lame their all scammers and hate me.. im gona threaten to take away my ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã3.20 hoping they'll change the whole game for me.. phr333 stoffff plez"

good topic though

xx

Nice article! I support completely Jagex's rules and updates (other than the annoying pure ess one #-o ) My one real problem is rule #1(offensive language) and the chat filter. It is definately an important rule, but way too conservative in my opinion. I think that censoring the main bad words and a few common misspellings would be sufficient. Words like "CRAP" and "BUTT" that i dont consider bad words (annoying in most contexts, yes, but no worse then the word "NOOB") are filtered, and so many misspellings, that its hard to say normal things without getting filtered. for instance, my rsn, ikraz55 shows up as i*raz55, and i have no idea why. Annoying kids (who arent supposed to be playing runescape anyway) will always find new ways to abuse the filter, and instead of making the game worse for the rest of us, they can simplify the chat filter, and encourage us to report the curse-spammers instead.

shoelacesareuntiedti8.jpg

Proud owner of a Quest cape!

try using the forums, both at Tip.It and the official Runescape forums.

um... i have alot of new ideas for the game and all but all that f2p's get to write to Jagex with is e-mail (which they don't read due the spam) and "Complainment" (or something like that) button... so no suggestions from f2p's and let's face it... f2p makes p2p's life in RS bareable, due to the f2p-p2p trade that is massive (logs,ess,runes and everything else) ...well also we get all trimmed armors from p2p, but still... why in the f*ck they made the trimmed armors so expensive, after all they are just like normal rune armors (or addy or black) and they aren't even rare anymore (maybe in the beginning) but well now im outta the topic... so free players get no acces to the forums and that is just stupid because not all free players are 10 year olds that just learned to swear. i know im teenager but i don't swear to make things stand out or anything... oh well... i think Jagex should start by allowing

f2p players with total lvl over 1000 to acces the Forums, they have proven their worth... and maybe they would even get more p2p's that way, i know im exicted about all p2p stuff execpt Barrows and Duel arena, and i loved to one day take J_Ruottinen to scary quest to the loathed lvl 40+ wilderness and dig up cascet containing my very own guthix armors... :ohnoes:

~Proud Owner Of Green Party Hat (pic as my avatar) AND !!!!! X-MAS CRACKER !!!!!

...not selling either one... when i become p2p or f2p gets new skill i crack it to Jagex Mods head as thanks...

Well if you've got such a bug up your backside about Jagex there's always the option of simply not playing RuneScape anymore. There's no rule saying you have to play it just because it's there, and quite frankly, the game would be all the better without it being chalked full of people that look to whine about nothing.opinion>

Borei.png

Borei.png

Borei.png

Hey thats a great article and i agree 100% with that courtey week, I try help people as much as i can in the game except sometimes it makes it hard when you show someone where something is or give them something for a quest, and they basically turn around after youve helped em and tell you to go screw yourself, I think all those sort of people should read the tip.it times and learn a few things about common courtesy

I try to be friendly on runescape but its hard when almost everybody else are not!Some low lvl(i dont like saying noob becaus everyone once was one.)asked me for 1k and i said sure and i gave it to him.He logged out and another player logged in right there and picked up the gold after it appeared.See its hard to be nice.

Goals: 99 cooking(56) and 99 strength(50)

I too agree with the idea of Courtesy Week, but it should not be for only a week, try Courtesy Lifetime. You should always be courteous, even when you are attempting to, in basic terms, tell someone to !@#$ off. And this shouldn't just apply to the game, it should apply to your entire life, except in competetive sports, where it is called sportmanship. Think Just what would happen if the entire world was as courteous as common sense would allow for their entire lifetime. This would cause global effects, but not negative effects, try maybe the most positive effect imaginable, wars would stop, robberys, murders, rapes, and other misdeeds too. And of course world peace would eventually settle O:) . (Sorry I make it sound like I'm in a Beauty pageant and was ased what I would change about the world if I could)

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Well if you've got such a bug up your backside about Jagex there's always the option of simply not playing RuneScape anymore. There's no rule saying you have to play it just because it's there, and quite frankly, the game would be all the better without it being chalked full of people that look to whine about nothing.opinion>

i agree fully and if someone doesn't like the makers then maybe the game would be better without that someone there winin' all the time... and what comes to noobs in addy full... noob can be even lvl 126 player with full dragons or all phats

~Proud Owner Of Green Party Hat (pic as my avatar) AND !!!!! X-MAS CRACKER !!!!!

...not selling either one... when i become p2p or f2p gets new skill i crack it to Jagex Mods head as thanks...

I agree with the whole article, people should stop bangin' their heads against the wall and realize this. :wall:

Trainer13.png

Current goal status: Money for Full Gunthans.

Current money making strategy: Red Cinchompas and Fletching.

Fresh ideas are the base of the world, run out and the world is dead.

Although it's well written, I for the most part disagree with the article. Yes, I agree that, relatively speaking, Runescape is a good game. It's good enough to keep me playing - but that doesn't mean that I think the game is perfect. In particular, I don't like parts of the chat filter and the nature of the updates.

As others have said, the chat filter is poorly implemented, often blocks legitimate chat, and users often find a way around it. If it's ok to say on prime-time TV, it should be ok in Runescape.

I also don't like the fact that Jagex has made it so difficult for me to communicate to players outside of the game by blocking things like "address", "email" etc. while stalkers can easily find a way around these blocks simply by using similar, unblocked words. If liability is a problem, Jagex can make users (or their parents) agree to a release of liability that won't hold Jagex responsible if a stalker does find someone through Runescape.

I also don't like the fact that 99% of the updates are geared towards members. I used to be a member (I let my membership run out because school is about to start) and I enjoyed the time there, but I don't think that f2pers get a fair number of updates.

Also, while I think it is a good idea to be courteous, I believe that a large part of the problem lies in the laziness of players. For instance, "can u tak me 2 varok" is a question that can be easily answered by looking at the newcomer map that every new player is assigned. The same goes for questions about mining bronze ore and smelting copper bars.

If you managed to wade through all of that, congratulations! You are very patient. If not, I can't really blame you.

JAGEX IS THE ENEMY

well at least in the sence that we do have lots of time invested in our characters and that we get angered and insulted when Jagex leads the game in a direction we don't feel it should go.

For example: If we spent the time to get a high level and Jagex seems to only provide updates for lower level players, shouldn't we have the right to lash out at Jagex? yes we do. I do all the time.

OK, you've made some money quickly, but you haven't done it yourself. It's the difference between working for a living and having a printing press churning out $100 bills in your basement.

lol, bad way to put it. i can garantee just about everyone would want 100 dollar bills rolling in =P~ instead of having to work an 8 hour job

knightsoforderse9.png

I think many of you are forgetting that the game belongs to Jagex and not us. Even our very own characters which we've spent countless hours building up are not our own, but rather, the sole property of Jagex Ltd. We're even made to e-sign an agreement acknowledging this fact before we can play.

Because of this, Jagex could potentially take the game in any direction they wanted without us having any legal grounds whatsoever to object. They could even start deleting features at random just to piss us off, but do they? No.

Like them or not, Jagex still chooses to continually make updates to the game. They continue to take input from players and use that to improve the game. They opt to set rules and assign Player Moderators to help enforce the rules, not to make the game restrictive, but as a way of dealing with those who would be purposefully disruptive. Sure, both Jagex and RuneScape have their flaws, but you need to remember that absolutely no one (not even Jagex themselves) is claiming that either one is perfect.

As for F2P updates, get over it. As I've seen stated somewhere before, F2P isn't the actual game, but a mere free trial. It may be a very good trial which never runs out and has lots of features, but it's a trial all the same.

On that note, if you were to download a trial for a game like Command & Conquer for example, would you expect Westwood Studios to provide you with updates for your free trial/demo? I think not. So what makes you think RuneScape's F2P (effectively demo) version should be any different?

Borei.png

Borei.png

Borei.png

Courtesy week(all the time would be ideal) would be great, but there are too many people who are rude and inconsiderate to others. I always try to be nice and help people out but get annoyed easily when spammed at any bank with people calling each other "noob" or other non blocked insults. It's rather funny how during the school year this isn't so much of an issue. This is not a runescape problem alone though, it's on in every type of on-line community around where people don't have to face the consequences of their actions.

Jagex could take the game in any direction that they wanted to, but if they anger enough people, less people will play and ad-revenue plus membership fees will drop, meaning less money. And that's something that they don't want. So it is in their best interest to listen to us.

It's incorrect to view the f2p version of Runescape as a free trial. If it has (infrequent) updates and is supported by ad-revenue, then it isn't a free trial. A free trial is something that isn't supported by ad revenue, generally doesn't have updates, and isn't unlimited. F2p runescape meets none of these requirements.

A free trial is defined by it's designer, and RuneScape F2P could hardly be considered unlimited. The limits to a trial can either be defined in levels, time, or (in this case) features.

Anyways, it appears you missed the point entirely. We need to stop comparing Jagex with companies like Westwood and Blizzard. They aren't the same type of company, and aren't even after the same thing, so to compare them would give warped results every time.

Jagex simply wants to appeal to a certain audience, work on their game, allow players to enjoy gameplay within the rules, and support their game so that these things will be possible. What you need to keep in mind is that if you can't cope with the rules, Jagex, and/or the game, it's possible you're not part of the target audience. As I've said, there's no rule saying you have to play it just because it's there, and not every game is going to be right for every person. You might enjoy something like WoW or Everquest more. Who knows?

Point is that Jagex still does their part to make the game better for us, and we should be thankful for that much. A very common wise phrase: Fret not over all that you do not have, but rather, be thankful for the things you do. (Obviously not the exact wording, but means the same thing.) If a few people leave because Jagex doesn't do what they want, then that's no skin off their bones. In fact, chances are that people that do leave simply are not part of the target audience, and (more importantly) will inevitably be replaced by people that are.

BTW, I typed this while I was half-asleep. So if you have to actually think at all to reply to it you may as well not.

Borei.png

Borei.png

Borei.png

also i find that people dont so much hate jagex in general it is a particular action of thiers that agravates people, construction costs, pure ess and the world 111 things being good example.

While jagex does indeed do a superb job in general their recent handling of various situations has been poor. Things like pure ess could have been handled much better by simply asking the gamers in a poll whether this would be acceptable to them. The split between jagex and players has grown wider over many petty things which could have easily being avoided.

Myself and several others have commented that jagex has become too profit orientated and feel that it would be good to go back to basics, it is now almost impossible to ask jagex a straight question. Instead we now have the website equivilent of "press one for banning enquiries".

Two examples here come to mind:

1.recently i was muted for a day, i recieved a message telling me i was muted but gave me no reason, puzzled i log into the "appeal a ban" section and was greeted by "congratulations there are no offences against this account" and the glorious green flag. So i dutifully sent a query (after searching the site for 30 mins to find the link) asking what was wrong. That was a month ago i have had no official explaination or apology.

2.I was trying to write an article on j-mods and p-mods in todays game, and was trying to find out the approximate ratio of player mods to players i.e 1 in every 500 players is a player mod. I searched and searched the knowledge base to no effect, i then decided to ask about in the forums where a fantasticaly briliant forum mod offered to pass on my request to jagex for me, i accepted and less than an hour later she came back to me saying sorry jagex dont know and there is apparently no way of finding out. To me this is quite important if jagex themselves dont know how many p-mods they have then it seems to pose the question what else do jagex not know about.

I close with the point that since 2001 they game has increased in players by at least 2000% however there has not been marked rise to the same scale in customer services employies

{EDITED NAMES OUT TO SAVE SPACE}

all those names are the customer support staff. FOR OVER 200000 PEOPLE AT ANY ONE TIME!

I Agree, Jagex is far UNDERSTAFFED.

This causes problems and frustrations if they feel out of reach at most times. It used to be less Jagex vs players when I started, and its because it didnt take months for a service problem to be responded to, and overall when you did get a message back it was clear and cut and not a dry auto responce.

Most other big name MMORPG's my brother says (as I play none) will answer you within 30 or so minutes. It takes frigging months to get ours back. Just simply not acceptable for a game of this scale.

I like the behind the scenes addition but other then that it feels like Jagex is out of reach 90% of the time. I have reported so many in the past 3-5 months, and all of them are pretty serious, not a single responce yet. From getting over the censors and cursing me out to all other offenses like scamming and marcoing. Nothing.

runescapesig7gw.png

Current Goal: Fire Cape, 0-6 at the caves 0-3 agianst the Jad, Lag done me in.

I loved your post on what you said about how well jaggex has put a lot of there time and our money into creating a great game. and how much we need each other to keep it going anyone would agree with that im sure. am I right people?

You could say it this way. Jaggex has made a great success in the online rpg due to the large amount of people seeking a free to cheap alternative to some of the more expensive and better graphical games on the market with out this support of the players though they would be another dot on the internet radar thankyou players for makeing runescape what it is today.

I think the players of runescape show a lot of appreciation for the game and yes they complain but its well deserved and is needed to make a better game. I would hope that jaggex listens to them. You said in your post there or a lot of other games but we find our nich and we get comfortable with it and we stay and we dont like to let go even when they do us wrong, or feel we were done wrong by jaggex.

I think that people want and hope for a personel connection with jaggex. I think they like to invent ideas on how jaggex thinks to make them feel like jagex is a personel friend to them and they somehow click togother on the same lines such as the rules even the p mods dont understand them but players feel that they should because they feel that p mods or on a higher teer than they are, which is far from the truth they pay and play just like the rest of us and have one better card and that is they mute you when your to loud.

I think that people need to understand Jaggex is a buisness and they or there to make money and to do so they need to compete with the market that they play in.

When you goto there website you will see a list of the staff. There could be more there than what they show on the list due to there always always hireing but there fireing as well so who knows.

We do know this there or a lot of people who play vs the amount of support that jaggex has to offer and they gladly let us know this with generic letters they send to its players that complain.

SO we know from that jaggex is buisness first, buisness second, so forth and so forth. Somewhere in there the players exist.

You guys or not going to get a phone call from these people on any matters of what you think the game should be like so plz quit acting like you know these people they are a buisness not a personal friend. plz complain as well as show your support. Just be yourself in a responsible way because we might not get the attention of jaggex on a personal lvl, but we can influnce the market which that will send a great \' message.

Seriously though - lets get back to the real world. Jagex has its faults and RS has its faults. If you don't want to live with the faults then you have the option NOT to play the game. The game would be much better off without whingers like you.

I mean what would life be without faults? Nothing Is Ever Not Flawed(Sorry not good with words) :D :wall:

Goals: 99 cooking(56) and 99 strength(50)