Tip.It Times Presents: I hate Jagex and Jagex hates me!

Kiara_Kat

Runescape's pretty old and will die out soon. I heard that if they wish to stay with the rapid growth of graphical capabilities, they would have to switch to a different more powerful language. The reason for Java at the begining was because I am assuming Jagex only basically knew Java as their primary language.

Another good reason for Java is due to it's security if you listened to Security Now (with Leo Laporte and Steve Gibson), I believe episode 50. If they moved to C++ or Pearl, the game would be hacked in a matter of minutes do to it's popularity.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good writen article, but some things make people get angry, for example: a friend got perm ban for just funning around with a few friends, he has never done something wrong be4 that time, 0 black marks...

the, already mentioned, rune ess

jagex made us, runecrafters, angry because the ess price went up by 333%

this means we get 70k less each hour we craft runes ( based on 1k law runes a hour) when we now craft law runes for a day ( 10 hours ) we get 700k less than normal ( so we need to craft 13-14k laws to get the same profit we got be4 the ess change in 10 hours)

and what did they do back?

NOTHING

atleast they could make the pouches auto fill/auto empty so it goes a little faster and we can make the same ammount of profit again

construction

it was made that expensive so the rares would go down..

did it work?

NO, only the uber rich could afford to train the skill

economy

ever wondered why the phats went up at a certain moment from 10-20mil to 150mil+

this was due duping bug #2, what made people get the ability to duplicate money, i won't explain how it works because some of you might get a idea to try it and lose cash, some people say its still possible to duplicate cash but i don't know how...

due duping bug #2 people made bilions and bilions of gp, they bought phats, and because there were quite a lot dupers the phats went up because more people wanted them, however, the dupers got catched, banned for ever, accaunts including the phats down the pixel drain... less phats left, so price went up

(some background information: its called duping but #2 because in RSC there was a other duping bug wich made people able to dupe non stackable items, like phats ed, so at that time phats went down)

the phat economy line:

.......|

....../

../\/

/

where it goes down its duping bug #1

where it goes straight up its duping bug #2

thats why we can make our conclusion: the phats economy is mainly based on bugs

that were just a few bad things about jagex

now the good things:

everything else :) , after 4 years of playing runescape (almost from the beginning), playing it for a while, than quit for a while, losing loads a accaunts, losing lots a cash due scams/hacks etc, i still love the game

GO JAGEX, QUIT MAKE RUNESCAPE LOOK LIKE BUGSCAPE AND KEEP IT OWNING LIKE IT IS, AND USED TO DO

~amen~ :roll: (it felt like a priest having his (great) lil talking)

~~ I Xyzyx I ~~ 99 attack ~~

98/99 strenght

92/99 defence

58/80 prayer

former 70 def pker, about to become a ownage mb beast

Seems a useless thing to state to me...

Jagex are the authority figure in RuneScape, for obvious reasons such as they made the flippin thing.

I'm quite sure anyone who plays any game can accept this to be true, he who makes the game gets to rule it.

And before I even continue I'd like to say that well, I love the game.

But my relation towards Jagex can be better described as a child-parent relationship than a symbiosis.

They put rules in place which limit mostly my enjoyment in the game, but also rules that might just be a step too far or might just need close watching. I am aware that a game is not a democracy but a dictatorship, but that doesn't mean a player should just swallow everything that gets dished out to him or her. We are the users and for a good game to thrive, user feedback and user enjoyment is important. Sometimes it feels Jagex are not caring about that.

Sure, you can't please everyone, but some things seem to go needlessly far or just be plain useless.

The chat filter for instance, you argue it's for our protection... Like we can't pick up foul language anywhere else. If anything it's for their own protection (ah, your evil game damaged my child permanently, you will pay for that - kind of thing), which is fine with me, but I enjoy cursing like a pirate now and then... in particular during piratey quests.

A light filter on obvious words, fine, whatever for their own security, but excessive filtering of every flippin s and x combination (there are plenty of harmless ones, mostly involving "emoticons"/"smileys") you can come up with and Guthix knows what else is filtered. No. Toss in a disclaimer for all I care, but no matter how much the amount of filtering, the people who want to "swear" will find a way. Ditch the filter for the most part, it's annoying and limiting and needless.

Personal questions? I will damned well make up my own mind who I'll tell my first name to. If people are dumb enough to give them out after setting security questions (which is what this one was likely put in for) and if people are crafty enough to fish for those answers without the idiot-target realising it, good. Get rid of them. You are the weakest link - Good Bye! Survival of the fittest or in the words of George Carlin "The kid who eats the most marbles does not grow up to be a parent".

Is anyone who lacks common sense wanted in a game? Not as far as I'm concerned. It'll be a good learning experience for them, and since Jagex likes to mother us so much, seems they should encourage it so we learn from our mistakes ;) (for the hardcore z0mg reply'ers, this last bit is a joke).

And on some random end-note you say that "you probably have a sense of ownership of your character". Well let it go, because you don't own it or at least, that's what Jagex argues.

Terms & Conditions: "You agree that your RuneScape character and account and items are and remain the property of Jagex."

I liked this idea:

Perhaps we should have a Tip.It Courtesy Week (or weekend for those with short attention spans). It might be a bit of a challenge to spend a week being polite, helpful and generally chivalrous to our fellow players. But it might also turn out to be a much nicer way to play the game.
:thumbsup:

rejna.png

- "I am willing to die...I mean try" - Jewelfire (Want to go bossing?)
-"we tried, we cried and we died!" - Limparse (What happens to old farts and tarts on monster-hunts)
- "...and we found out that there are as many ways to get to warriors guild
...as there are elders trying to get there" - Lysi
*snods agely* sorry... *nods sagely* - Brammy

-"Equality is being treated the SAME as everyone else;

not having special treatment and unique things added in to everything." - Sy_Accursed

The rules restricting bad language are again, there to protect the younger players (though it often seems that they are the ones who most abuse those rules). Unfortunately, the rules are based on the English language, and don't necessarily work well with other languages.

That's so true, they are the most immature of the players in RuneScape. The 5-10 year olds think it's fun and clever to avoid the censor and swear to thier hearts content.

Even though some players hate Jagex, some still play the game and it's as if the players want to run the game for themselves. But they can't. I'm sure Jagex loves thier loyal costumers, but gets a little annoyed with those greedy, ignorant ones. You can't help it really, theres always the complaining ones, even though they did something plain wrong.

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

Runescape's pretty old and will die out soon.

I'm sorry, but......BWAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Please tell me you don't actually believe that nonsense. :lol: I don't care how old RuneScape gets. As long as there continues to be updates, things to do, people to meet/interact with, friends to make, etc. I'll continue to play the game. I'm sure there are many others that feel the same.

As for drop-trading, that "clause" is there to protect us as well. Drop-trading of any kind for any reason is risky. For one thing you run the chance of the other person scamming you if trading another person. Also, there's the chance of someone else picking up the item before the intended recipient. As well as that, Jagex has made it so that any untradable items, if dropped, will disappear before anyone else can see it to pick it up. The only trades at all should be done through the trade screen as it prevents random people stealing items, and also makes it harder to get item scammed.

Borei.png

Borei.png

Borei.png

I liked this idea:
Perhaps we should have a Tip.It Courtesy Week (or weekend for those with short attention spans). It might be a bit of a challenge to spend a week being polite, helpful and generally chivalrous to our fellow players. But it might also turn out to be a much nicer way to play the game.

I agree, though much promotion would be necesary for it to have an effect on the game in a large manner. :wink:

I liked this idea:

I agree, though much promotion would be necesary for it to have an effect on the game in a large manner. :wink:

just a post on the tip.it main site would do wonders ;) a ton of people view the site every single day. Along with a global message, tip.it could do basicly anything they want as i posted on page 3.

Good article this week. It was about exactly what I have been feeling for a long time. People can't blame Jagex for their mistakes, and if Jagex makes a mistake they almost undoubtly will fix it right away. As for following rules, it is something everyone should do, no matter how insignificant the rule may seem. They are there for a reason. The last part on being nice and polite to fellow players, that is something a lot of people need to do. I was actually called a noob the other day because I left the lesser demons without killing my last lesser.. I mean.. I had no food, I was carrying a mask.. I'd kill it when I got back. Technically the word "noob" has no real-life meaning, but some people are hurt by it. I saw that yesterday when the same person called about 5 other people noobs. That is the polite part. As for the nice part, I know for sure that I follow that role. Yesterday while training at the lesser demons I gave away every item that I got from drops. That totaled in over 50k worth of items (5 rune meds+mithril armour). I had some very happy people, as I chose to give it to the generous ones. I would ask if anyone had some lobsters to spare, then accept the trade. I would then give them an item in a second trade and say "It pays to be generous". I also have found this out throughout my whole Runescape career. Some could say it is coincidence, but I say, giving away 17 big bones while training and being returned with 1M is not coincidence.. especially since it happened twice. So, bottom line, as The Editor said, it might just make the game more enjoyable if you are nice to other players. :D

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

personally i like rs and jagex are workign their tooshes off to keep up with the 150k players or more they see in a day. there's one guy i know who keeps belly aching about how boring F2P is, i told him straight out it's only the equal to a trial version, you ahve to P2P to have more fun so quit whining.

keep up the good work players, jagex and tip staff.

:D

1st: Why do people hate jagex?

2nd: A courteosy week would be a good idea.

3rd: Its annoying when your messing around with a bronze dagger and someone calls you a noob for not using your rune b-axe.

4th: Its also annoying when people question your sexuality because of your name and your decision to wear rune "kilt" :) instead of legs

Yeah i play the game in a way which i feel makes it more enjoyable for me

but some people take the fun out by deciding what i do isnt right. (the dagger and skirt)

Hmm i support this courtesy week.. nice idea... well done editor and well done tipit admins :D .

Why courtesy "week"? Why not Courtesy ALL THE TIME?

- Sligo

I totally agree with you there.

These people who are so unhappy with Jagex should go create their own game and leave Runescape and everyone would be happy.

I agree, theres no reason people can't just play nice. I also don't like to see higher lvls offend or ignore lower lvls just because they think they are better. I'm a releativly high lvl (106) but i would still talk to lower lvls if they ask questions as I know what its like to be ignored. Everyone is a "noob" at some point but a lvl really can't be used at a way to judge a person. If I was over consious of lvls I wouldn't have half the friends i have

hey

im new on the forums but ive always as long as i know rune tipit read the tipit times and i must say they where all very good :thumbsup:

as i like this one.

i always am irritating me on people who say: i hate jagex!

or: jagex guys your so dumb!!

i am playing runescape for about a year now (not really long he?)

but i have always seen things like this in the rant section from the rs forums

tough people can hate jagex for a moment or a week but can forget it as fast as they say i hate jagex.

it are moment of angry and the next day they are complimenting jagex becouse they did a good, funny quest or they rasaid 3 skills with pest controll

and i find the jagex rules fine as they are now

now waiting for the next time :ohnoes:

That article is pretty much worhtless to me. Tell Jagex to give me back my lvl 120 that got hacked and then banned, then I'll stop seeing them as an enemy.

Jagex doesn't care about the players anymore, simple as that.

Stud112 (UNBANNED)

99 atk, 92 def, 99 str, 97 hp, 118 combat

studsig76.jpg

Well, first i think it really is true that jagex is hated and that cheaters stink (feel the hate). Also, responding to your last part i think this should also be true. I admit i call some people noobs when they annoy me pr are wearing full bronze as a lvl 43 (this happened today), but dont use them to do my bidding: I just bought a broken rune axe (which i sold for 22k) for 10k so it wasnt really a rip off and both sides profited.

"TeironIV" (there are no other teirons i just thought the name was nice) or a.k.a. "The Big J1"

this is my first reply EVER on these forums. im sad it has to be a negetive reply :( . but the last issue of tip.it times was very aggrivating. i will talk through it with why i found it so (after the first paragraph, which is basicly setting the subject). so i ask you to look at it while i talk through this, because i will not be copying it, it takes to much time and space.

so the second paragraph talks about how the players and the creaters need eachother to continue. well thats only true if you want to make money, because jagex has about 800,000 members (gotten from wikipedia encyclopedia). times that by $5.00 and you get what jagex gets each month, 4 MILLION DOLLARS! its more than enough to pay people, upgrade the site, and get the servers (i didnt include updates because they are made by the payed people). jagex could have just had it so they would just have it as a hobby, like it is us to play rs. but as all major buisnesses go, they started off small (rsc) then were succesful so they continued on.

then we go on to the third paragraph. the reason some people are at jagex throats is because we are upset with the game we proudly play. i believe (but i am not sure) that in one issue of tip.it times it said that jagex is coming out with many more medium updates, when everyone preferred to wait for larger updates.

the fourth paragraph goes into interaction. how we talk to friends, hurl insults, and so on. we have put much time into the game, and we have showed a degree of loyalty to jagex. but we are also upset about the interaction system, IT IS REAL AND THE RESTRICTIONS ARNT HELPING ANYONE SHOW IT. everyones mad at the censors because, since the update that you HAVE TO BE 13, people naturaly cuss because there comftorble in this wonderful game and they select a crowd their ust to and talk with them with slang and such. another thing that personaly angers me is the interaction talking to people itself. back when tip.it was first made (i am extremly bored so i read all these things) they had interviews with one of the games creators (i will not show the name since it is impolite without the persons permision). it said that it would have clan friendly interactions and such. that was 8 months after rsc came out, WERE IS IT! another thing is the way we pm our friends. we go to a chat box and select their names. we often accidently choose the wrong one wo we get embarrased and often reply wp. id like this replaced by something better like doing /w (friends name) or something, it would be better also if you were in the middle of a fight because you would still have view of your inventory.

going onto the fifth paragraph. my answer is simple and short, they are payed by us to do this. i am also glad they are proud so they are atleast willing to make updates.

the sixth paragraph, i will say i amazingly agree to most of it. except that sometimes jagex dousnt pay enough attention to what the situations were. i see threads on the official forums that say they were unfairly permanatly banned, but then i have friends that contacted me again that were banned trying to help another friend get his account back from a hacker. is this not fair, or are the hackers being helped by jagex in a way.

sometimes telling jagex this dousnt even work.

seventh paragraph. i am kinda annoyed by this one. it says that the rules arnt complex. well YES THEY ARE. they keep updating the rules without giving knowledge to us of this. a mod even said so.

eighth-ninth paragraphs im fine with.

tenth paragraph i have already said something about this. they updated it so you HAVE TO BE 13. most 13 year olds are already cussing in real life and anyone who isnt has good morals. i personaly dont cuss unless theres something worth cussing about.

eleventh is annoying, not because of the scamming part, which i realy approve of not trying new ways to scam people, but the avoiding censors. people try to avoid the censors because they are trying to talk to a certain kind of group and the censors are to strict.

this is the 12th paragraph in this topic. as is with the article, i will end this topic with the 12th paragraph. jagex is sometimes to strict , but it makes a wonderful game that we are proud of. but we have to relize why we put so much time into our games, and why we are paying them REAL money. so, as someone wise once said, everything with a beggining must have an end, it is the end of this reply.

Beware of the Sara Trio

saratriosignaturerl8.png

I started playing runescape jan 6, 2006. and found to my suprise that the game plays a great deal like real life. When you put effort into a project you quite often reap rewards. And in real life you come across the shady, evil little mindless blogs that will lie, steal, cheat, and generally attempt to make your life misirable. Unfoturnatly these worthless toads were not raised by parents as most of us know and understand the concept. They were allowed to generally do as they please and unfortunatly someone informed them of this game.

Jagex is faced with the problem of filtering these problem children from its Runescape society and quite frankly i believe it to be a monumental job. They attempt to create a society that people can interact and live vicarously through a creation of their own.

The cheaters with the macros, and the double logging just measures the morality of the people playing. I, myself, have never drop traded, macroed, or double logged. Not saying I'm perfect, but I attempt to play this game as if the people I come into contact with were in real life.;To play with cheats, or a God mode< would cripple the society i am playing in.

As far as Jagex not careing about a single account; yeah, they dont care enough to sift through millions of pieces of code to reinstate someones account that has been hacked. That would cripple their ability to keep the game flowing as it does, even with its faults.

I am long winded because I love to write and i apologize. In short, if you want to cheat. please play something else.. If you want to play in god mode, please play something else. I have done quite well for myself playing honestly and I am sure everyone else can do the same, as long as you can show a little backbone and work for it.

Rules, even if they seem stupid to you , were put into place to protect the innocent. Raise your kids right and this world stands a chance.

To the people who were complaining about Jagex (Specifically the first one)

Just wanted to respond to a few of your complaints - first my qualifications. I don't work for Jagex, but I've been programming for nearly ten years and learned Java last year. (I think one of my preferred jobs in the future would be to work for Jagex, but that may require me to give up my character so...). I love Runescape, been playing for almost two years.

Pure Ess: A poll! Ha! Splitting essence would NOT have been favorably regarded by most people - ess prices have risen slightly now that all the supply from the F2P world has dried up. Jagex took what was probably the best solution - they split the type of ess you need between f2p and p2p and made it so you can only make that kind of ess in that mode. I'm a bit inconvienced, but as the guy said - its better that the game is fair, that way I know I earned it.

World 111: A bug in the game - they fixed in but a short time later. My apologies to anyone who lost stuff, but hey - thats life. The game can't be perfect all the time and it was fixed within a reasonable amount of time.

Construction Cost: They needed a way to drain money out of the game and building a house is, in reality, a very expensive task. If its too much for you... don't do it?

I think a lot of people complain about bugs and such without realizing that bugs are normal. No program survives contact with the user is my expression - they try to build it so there are no bugs and yet sometimes it has unintended side effects. Some people misuse it and cause unexpected errors. All we can do is report them and Jagex is VERY good about fixing the big ones. If they don't fix minor bugs - understand that it takes a decent amount of time to fix any bug - they have to determine what is really going wrong (from a coding perspective, not a user) and then determine how to fix it without messing up anything else. Runescape is, I'm betting, billions of lines of code, if not trillions - its huge and therefore complex.

So don't complain about it - any true programmer would sympathize with Jagex's problems.

And I think we need an official Jagex recognition day where we celebrate what they do for us.

~ Dep ~

Excellent Article. In my opinion the best that has been written to date. A courtesy week should definately be organised, and I will even help if The tip.it crew wants. :thumbsup:

Spam DEF: Any post, paragraph, or sentence that does not add to the value of the thread.

Big_Stingman is the bomb!

First off let me say that I believe this weeks article was one of the best, if not THE best I have seen so far, from any source.

Now, the meat and potatoes....

Runescape has many things about it people don't like. But for the most part, those things change from player to player. Some hate fishing, others enjoy it. Some love PK'ing, while others loathe it. The solution is simple. Instead of incessant complaining that the game isn't perfectly suited to you, bypass the things you do not like and concentrate only on the stuff you enjoy. If there are too many things you don't like, leave. No one is holding you here to play, and all you are doing is forcing others to listen to you.

Perhaps some people think they are doing a service, thinking they aren't complaining, rather that they are pointing out things that should be changed. Well, there are right ways and wrong ways to do this. To do it right and have the best chance of a response(notice I said best chance, not 100%) try using the forums, both at Tip.It and the official Runescape forums. But say what you need to in a positive way. Do not place blame, do not use words like hate or stupid. Say what you need to using good spelling and grammar. Most people, especially educated adults like you are most likely to see working for Jagex, are more apt to pay attention when they do not have to suffer insults and attempt to interpret slang like pl0x. (where did pl0x come from anyways? I'm baffled.)

Also, I think Jagex is doing a wonderful job keeping up with the players needs. A large group of friends and I all came to Runescape together about two months ago after a mass exodus from the MMORPG we were previously playing. The game was great, the community fantastic. The problem we had was that there was no development. We were promised "regular" updates. In the two years I played that game, we had one new quest, one major update, and to my estimation, 3-4 small updates that were to correct bugs. The game developer refused to talk to us, and the mods were not kept in the loop. Even the head beta tester had no idea what was going on. So I suggest if you are not happy with the updates, try to find something better. And good luck with that.

More opinions from TeT...

While most online games are marketed for adults, we have to accept that a high percentage of the players are teenagers. Some even younger then that. It may seem as if there are more adults when you look at the forums and such, but I think that's just because many younger people do not have the patience to voice their opinions in the appropriate place, or that they are F2P and do not have access. I do not know if Jagex decided not to allow cussing and personal information as a safeguard against lawsuits or if they did it from a moral standpoint. Either way, I believe it was the right thing to do. Personally, in real life, I have been known to cuss to make sailors blush, but online you never know who is standing next to you. It could be your grandmother, your priest, or your 9 year old sister. (Yes I am aware the rules prohibit players under 13, but when did rules stop anyone?) I think it is only right to respect the people around you. As you don't know who they are or what they believe, it's just safer to use appropriate language.

As for the week of courtesy, I think it is a wonderful idea and should be widely promoted. However, it really shouldn't have to be set aside as a one-time thing. It should be something we all strive for all the time. :)

I am sorry for being so long winded, but I do feel strongly about this.

well if you had played since the start AND loved rs classic as much as i did (along with thousands of other loyal paying customers) ... to have an entirely new game, with the exception of minor similarities, inposed apon you, you would not love jagex quite as much as you do now.

look at it like this...

eg: youve grafted real hard to raise your skills and your combat level, you've invested several thousands of hours on a game you love, then one day, its over because the owners say so.

sure, it continued for ppl who wanted to continue to play, but the game had no point, no meaning, it was ravaged by autoers and was always going in a downward spiral until its certain death.

how would you feel if they were going to get rid of rs2 and made a new game that you didnt even like... thats how many felt and thats why many are so angry even still.

it shows the attitude of jagex towards their customers.

Andrew Gower is the 10th richest person in britain under the age of 30... thats means he's got a hell of a lot of money... he's made this by creating a great game in the first place (RSC) and used a great advertising ploy of letting ppl play for free with the option of playing... quality spoke for itself and most people would pay for it once theyd played the game to its full on the free and want to get more out of it.

i just think that he could have shown more respect to the original customers that helped catapult him to success by at least including rsc in the main game: as a mini quest of a lost city trapped in time (as one example)

I'd like to congratulate the author on a great article. I agree entirely with every thing that was said.

I first discovered RS when it had just emerged from beta version, first as F2P, then once I got "addicted" to the game joined the P2P community. In all that time Jagex have never done anything to seriously dent my enjoyment of the game.

One should always remember the adage "You can never please ALL the people ALL the time, but you can please MOST of the people MOST of the time". Because of the many ways you can play RS, any update by Jagex will always upset a part of the community. Two recent examples of this are :

1) The much debated essence change - this affected the parts of the community that merchant and those that rely on buying their skills and so those people viciously attacked Jagex for "ruining" their game. However, other parts of the community, like myself, who do not merchant or buy their skills were completely unaffected by the change

2) The Construction update - This was a boon to those same merchanters that complained about pure essence as the value of logs increased overnight. However, we also had a part of the community complaining that the skill was expensive and useless.

Personally I hate the mini-games and I would like to see all min-games removed. However, I do not whinge and whine and make comments like "what a useless update" when Jagex brings out yet another mini-game update. I am mature enough to respect the fact that other parts of the community like their mini-games. If more people took this attitude then the overall community would be a much better place.