What is the greatest sin?

pianofrieak2

I would normally make this a poll, but seeing that there are all kinds of answers to this question, I figure that the best way is to just see what people's replies are.

I would, however, ask that you reply BEFORE you look at anyone's answers. I'm trying to make this as straight-forward and lacking bias as possible. What do you think is the greatest sin? After you reply, please comment on others' answers. This can be really interesting since we come from all types of viewpoints.

I'll tell you mine later in the game. Hehe.

I'm currently transitioning from a Wizard to a Mage and a Priest to an Archpriest. Lol both are nonexistant in the top 25. Hopefully I can change that. :D

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pride is the deadliest of all sins.

hybris? Then I sorta agree with you.

But pride if you've achieved something worthy of being proud of, there's nothing wrong with that. It's only a terrible sin if you think you have more rights than others or that you're all of a sudden superior by achieving something.

Dishonoring the name of God

As in cursing?

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

Pride is the deadliest of all sins.

hybris? Then I sorta agree with you.

But pride if you've achieved something worthy of being proud of, there's nothing wrong with that. It's only a terrible sin if you think you have more rights than others or that you're all of a sudden superior by achieving something.

Yeah, I mean in relation to vanity or narcissism.

As in cursing?

As in any reference to God not intended to honor him.

Eek! I dont believe in God, I'm a sin :x

Murder.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

As in cursing?

As in any reference to God not intended to honor him.

Eek! I dont believe in God, I'm a sin :x

Murder.

Eh, it only applies to God-fearing people. :wink:

the russians are the best! Hands down!
Womzoomed-1.gif

according to the bible, all sins are considered equal by god...so..all of them :oops:

That's not entirely true. The bible says that every sin cuts off your relationship with God and so all are equal in that respect. However, saying that cheating on a test is as bad as raping and killing someone just seems illogical.

Besides, God classifies sins. see proverbs. He talks about the 6 top worse and 7 bad but not quite as bad. If you want, I can look up the exact verse.

I'm currently transitioning from a Wizard to a Mage and a Priest to an Archpriest. Lol both are nonexistant in the top 25. Hopefully I can change that. :D

according to the bible, all sins are considered equal by god...so..all of them :oops:

That's not entirely true. The bible says that every sin cuts off your relationship with God and so all are equal in that respect. However, saying that cheating on a test is as bad as raping and killing someone just seems illogical.

Besides, God classifies sins. see proverbs. He talks about the 6 top worse and 7 bad but not quite as bad. If you want, I can look up the exact verse.

Or when Christ talked about one man having "the greater sin".

Anyways, I would agree with Bubsa, but I believe (from a Christian perspective) that pride is the root of all sin. As a Christian, any sin would be rooted in pride since I am acting in a way that I think I know better than God.

So pride aside, I'd have to say adultery. I hear about alot of stuff in the world, alot of murders, robberies, etc. But nothing pisses me off more than hearing about an unfaithful wife/husband. I don't know why, that's just the way it is for me.

summerpngwy6.jpg

It depends in what sense you mean... the worst sin in my personal system of morality, or in my practical system of morality.

a) not trying to be honest to yourself

B) murder.. though the specific definition of the word can get sticky :D

Everybody hug and spread the love :D

siggypooro0.jpg

worshipping false idols maybe

or maybe using gods name in vein, doesnt moses describe that as the worst sin?

it also depends what you consider a sin. what god originally wrote describing a sin in the old testament or what the catholic church describes being a sin.

i think the whole catholic church thing with the pope is bs, where in the bible does it mention someone in a hat leading the church of god? where in the bible does it say 4 billion people should follow the views of 1 group of people that made them up?

The world would be a whole lot better if little green men in UFO's came down to earth to abduct rednecks.

Heathen! There is only one religion, and all non-Christians are condemned for eternity. //end sarcasm

I'm a Catholic, and I get a bit annoyed at how out of proportion we blow everything (See 'The Da Vinci Code'. We freaked out over a movie...it was for entertainment only, get that into your skulls, Christians.).

But...the greatest sin would be murder. And y'know...since it's kind of illegal or whatever...

I really wouldn't call it an era. It was more of a definitive time period during which dinstinctive characteristics were expressed in similar ways.

Svirnsigscore.gif

None of those seem comparible to how bad a murder is. Nothing's more valuable than a living person's life, and taking one away is the worst imaginable thing possible.

None of those seem comparible to how bad a murder is. Nothing's more valuable than a living person's life, and taking one away is the worst imaginable thing possible.

Isn't an eternal soul much more valuable than a temporal body that houses it? Which is more important? The house or the people within the home?

With that in mind, it is much more important to "save" the eternal part of one's personhood (the soul, also called the heart sometimes).

Now that we've been going a while, I'll put my answer in.

1. Pride is the sin that caused Satan to be cast out. He thought he was as good as God and should be worshipped. For that, God kicked him out.

2. Pride is the foundation of all evil. Pride causes you to think you're better than another person (racism, sexism, hatred, anger). It causes you to disregard others (leading to murder, rapes, selfishness, impatience, etc.) simply because they're not as important as your happiness. Pride even leads one to believe one is the greatest being in the world which can lead to idol worship (of oneself or other things, such as money or sexual pleasure or materialism)

Therefore, I believe pride to be the greatest sin. C.S. Lewis would agree and, I'm pleased to say, so would Bubsa.

I think that everyone else is very close (and even makes sense if you don't believe in an eternal soul), but as a Christian, I think pride makes the most sense.