Creative, or dumb?

Lode

I'm wondering if I should see all these spellings some people use as creative or as dumb. Actually I'm not wondering, I know the answer: dumb.

Here's some of the things I've seen people use to interchange words. Is this due to lack of knowledge of the English language, or are they doing it on purpose?

or -> are (that's not even an abbreviation!)

why -> y

why - > I

they're -> their

their -> there

there -> they're

you -> u

you're -> your

your -> ur

see -> c

anyone -> ny1

are -> r

And the list goes on. I wish people didn't do it. It degrades my experience of reading forums as well as playing Runescape. Is it so hard to not look like a moron and spell properly?

Runescape: Lodev (Combat level been fixed at 101 for years now, Total level 1500+, playing since march 2002)

Arenascape: Lode (Level 240+ Warlock)

Both. Creative, because they thought about saying words without using much lettles, but dumb because of being lazy and using them when they have good working fingers which they can use and make their sentences more understandable. Actually, scratch the first, I'm staying with dumb.

Religious Text is not permitted.

Both. Creative, because they thought about saying words without using much lettles, but dumb because of being lazy and using them when they have good working fingers which they can use and make their sentences more understandable. Actually, scratch the first, I'm staying with dumb.

Never have so many words been used to say so very little.

People are just stupid and/or lazy.

IRKAa.jpg

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :| :oops:

Then again, that is what I think of it, and the full reason of why I think of it that way. Maybe I should change the scratch part and instead say that I'm more inclined to it being dumb? I don't even know what I'm saying anymore. :(

Religious Text is not permitted.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :| :oops:

Then again, that is what I think of it, and the full reason of why I think of it that way. Maybe I should change the scratch part and instead say that I'm more inclined to it being dumb? I don't even know what I'm saying anymore. :(

Just ignore me. I'm unneccesarily cynical oftentimes.

IRKAa.jpg

It can be done creatively in jest, but when people seriously type like that, they embaress themselves. So I'll say dumb.

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

they're -> their

their -> there

there -> they're

:lol:

I'm ok with useful chatspeak as long as it stays in chat places where typing something fast / short is important. Actually, I'm amazed that the words 'buying' and 'selling' haven't been abbreviated in RuneScape. In nearly all other MMO's people either say 'buy' or 'b>' when they want to buy something.

But since you got all the time and space you need to write whatever you want on forums it shouldn't be used on there.

they're -> their

their -> there

there -> they're

I'm ok with useful chatspeak as long as it stays in chat places where typing something fast / short is important. Actually, I'm amazed that the words 'buying' and 'selling' haven't been abbreviated in RuneScape. In nearly all other MMO's people either say 'buy' or 'b>' when they want to buy something.

But since you got all the time and space you need to write whatever you want on forums it shouldn't be used on there.

yea i was going to point that out when i played WoW for a few months and from maple tree or something that my brother plays he always say buy.... and Pete_the_Viscous u spelt easier wrng :D and its the same amount of letters lol

elfsiggylw3.jpg

yea i was going to point that out when i played WoW for a few months and from maple tree or something that my brother plays he always say buy.... and Pete_the_Viscous u spelt easier wrng :D and its the same amount of letters lol

Whoops: 'ezr', sorry. (Loath though I am to use an abbreviation which makes use of the letter z pronounced "zee").

they're -> their

their -> there

there -> they're

I see "buy" instead of "buying" used now and then in RS though, things like "buy ur legs" are no exception.

Also, I'm ok with abbreviations like "bs" for "bow string" or "ammy" for "amulet", because that are shorter words for long words. But "u" for "you" or "ur" for "your", only wins two letters and looks just plain ignorant...

Runescape: Lodev (Combat level been fixed at 101 for years now, Total level 1500+, playing since march 2002)

Arenascape: Lode (Level 240+ Warlock)

I personally believe that if someone wants to use it let them, because it degrades themselves socially to the gaming public.

I'd love if everyone typed better, well just because it's easier to read, it puts a better appearance for you and makes sure your points get across...Usually.

the2.png

Proud Member of "THE" Clan and former member of "The" Futures for over 1 year.

I hardly see it anymore, besides it's not worth the precious energy to get all worked up about it.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

If you type normal, you'll get used to it and type fast. I remember when I typed super slow, now I type fast. I dont even have to look at the keyboard now. (not using that bogus thing when you put your figners at asdf & jkl;)

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

i dont like abbreviating words like friends or anything, ill usually only abbreviate you're to ur but thats it, i hate it when people go

i h8 the way m frnds pk whn i nt dere

thats just [developmentally delayed]ed, it seems all my rl friends do it, its more of an unintelligent habit that is used on aim soo much

The world would be a whole lot better if little green men in UFO's came down to earth to abduct rednecks.

i duz is cz its more easyer u shd 2 n all ur frnds

*looks puzzled*

I...does? (no grammatical moral sense whatsoever? Dear me!) it because...it's more easier...(really...this should be added to criminal records, you know)...you...should...2 and all your friends...

2 and all your friends? What the heck?

Sorry! Oh no. I just wasted forty seconds of my very own precious life decoding linguistic trash. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thanks alot for your amazing contribution to online education. 8-)