Gamer Crew - challenge..

____

There's an aussie show called Good Game (a show for gamers hosted by gamers - personally i think it's a joke). Anyhow, thehosts are building a system to give away in a comp, these are the sepcs:

Case Name: Thermaltake - Tai Chi

Motherboard: Intel Bad Axe - D975XBX

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme - X6800

Video Card: Gainward 7900 GTX 512Mb

RAM: GeIL 2 X 1Gb Dual Channel, DDR2 Ultra Plus, 800Mhz, 3-3-3-8

CPU Heatsink/Fan: Thermaltake - Golden Orb

Hard Drive: Western Digital 120GB

Optical Drive: LG DVD Burner

Everglide s-500 Professional Gaming Headphones

Everglide g-1000 Professional Gaming Mouse

Everglide t-1000 Professional Gaming Keyboard

Everglide fnatic Titan Mouse Pad

Monitor - Samsung SyncMaster 931C

Windows XP Home Edition

Costing them about AU$4,000

Off the top of my head, half the system is a joke for that amount of money :-?

Anyone else agree? I'm gonna have a play around with a $4,000 budget, see what I come up with to beat it. Who wants in on making the best rig they can?

Consider it a bit of fun ;)

Just throwing all that together in about 10 minutes while trying to match the parts on Newegg totaled $2,746.21 (after $44 shipping) (3,565.58 AUD according to google) without all the Everglide stuff.

The "Tai Chi" case alone was like $360 (Who the hell pays $360 for a case?) and a major waste if you ask me. The LCD has a 2ms response time (could be much higher and still very good) and could shave another $100 of the total.

Could probably get by with another $50-$100 off the the motherboard I grabbed too but I was just pricing up what they listed. :P

Pfft the spec is only marginally better than my own PC which cost much much less and is over 2 years old! lol

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

minus the dumb case, stupid 'pro gaming' junky mice/keyboard and headphones and windows XP home - pffft.

Oh, and 120 gb is no where near enough for me, no where....

Kinda wierd how they included the fans / heatsink in that specs though - usually those would come with the case or CPU along with, sometimes, a PSU

minus the dumb case, stupid 'pro gaming' junky mice/keyboard and headphones and windows XP home - pffft.

Oh, and 120 gb is no where near enough for me, no where....

Kinda wierd how they included the fans / heatsink in that specs though - usually those would come with the case or CPU along with, sometimes, a PSU

4 External 70gig hardrives FTW! Oh... wait.

I'll shutup now.

"We'll bring the sexy back to judging >_>." --Nadril

Bleh, once I get off my lazy bum and go to Imageshack, there will be a picture here.

Pfft the spec is only marginally better than my own PC which cost much much less and is over 2 years old! lol

I'd like you to list your specs, please. :roll:

Should be a laugh, considering the new Intel Core 2 Duo X6800 is the latest and fastest processor out right now, along with the 7900GTX wasn't out 2 years ago, and is 1 of the fastest graphics cards.

So, erm, yeah. List your specs, because I doubt it's "marginally" better, it'd probably wipe the floor.

mwp9oo.jpg

For a start, its called sarchasm to show how rubbish that PC is (for the money)

Apart from the elaborate case and fancy keyboard and mouse my PC isnt too far behind. I have more HDD space and memory as well as better optical media drives. I have upgraded my computer over the years and personally feel it can rival most mid-high range PCs on the market. My PC is also watercooled so I dont have any fans or heatsinks on the motherboard, and while i dont have quite the high spec processor (mine is a P4) my graphics card isnt too bad either, especially considering its age.

Overall you totally missed my point in an attempt to make yourself look a little clever by having a jab at someone. Using the rolley eyes smilie is also a poor way to begin an argument, for all you know I may have spent the last few years upgrading to that EXACT specification.

Lastly, I dont need to list off my specs to anyone. Expecially not cocky little kids.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I also think it's noteable to add that in some cases, last gen video cards can compete just as well with the newer ones. I have a 7600 atm, and it's not much noticable of a difference then the 5700 I used to run. Admitedly, these are both AGP cards, and the 5700 was not exactly the greatest card in the series to begin with. Anyway, this is true in more cases than just mine.

Sure, you can compare benchmarks and what not, but in most situations, games arn't puting nearly as much stress on a video card as the benchmark is, thats the point of the benchmark... to see the 'max' the card can take / put out.

Gaming graphics don't seem to advance nearly as fast as the cards, now a days almost everyone can be running new games at medium or higher, no matter what gen their card is, as long as it was bought within the last 2 years and actually spent some money on it... the only diff is if the person is getting 60 fps or 70. Sure there are some differences, but nothing worth noting imo.

In summary - Geforce 4 wins all teh internets!!!1 - no really, that card can run anything from doom to far cry.

Always amisung to see no one else likes a 17kg brick for a case.

On a side note, the everglide stuff is hardly close to true gamer gear.

It's stuff you could probably consider "budget gamer-gear".

And, I had a bit of a play around ....

Case:

Antec 900 ($199.00)

Monitor:

Samsung 940NB19i ($305.00)

Keyboard(s):

Logitech Media Keyboard Elite ($49.00)

Wolf Claw Devour ($49.50)

Mouse:

Razer Copperhead (blue) ($105.00)

M/Pad:

SteelPad 5L ($55.00)

Motherboard:

ASUS AM2 Crosshair ($359.00)

PSU:

Antec Phantom 500W ($229.00)

CPU:

AMD Athlon 64 AM2 Dual Core CPU 5000+ ($479.00)

RAM:

DDR2 2Gig(2x1G) PC6400 800Mhz Dual Channel Geil ($399.00)

Video Card:

Asus EN7900GTX ($669.00)

Hard Drive:

Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200rpm SATA II ($139.00) x 4

Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10,000rpm SATA ($399.00)

Optical Drive:

LG GSA-4166BBK ($69.00)

Headphones / Mic:

Zalman Headphones+ Microphone ($85.00)

$4006.50

I could probably get another $100 out of it if I had a better play around with the video card.

And that's also 1TB (and a bit) of storage (well over their 120GB drive)

Lol, I just tried. It's impossible to get a top of the line computer for 3000 American. I ended up with 3300, shopping at newegg, and that was without a monitor. The main reasons were I tried x6800 extreme, an x8800GTX (by estimation), and all kind of other things.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Lastly, I dont need to list off my specs to anyone. Expecially not cocky little kids.

For some strange reason that sounded kinky! :P

@ Darkrick, What Channel Station is that TV show Good Game on? I'd like to check it out. I wonder if its down here in Sydney? :?

When I build my next computer in January, I want one that keeps sound down, had good air flow, and is easy to work inside. I honestly don't care how heavy it is. I don't LAN.

Antex P180 anyone?

very big and thus heavy, but it has great air flow, 12cm fans (can run slower rpm and be quiter), thriple layered walls (metal, plastic, metal. Quieter but still transfers heat well), seperate bays, easy easy EASY use, and silicon vibration pads in the bays. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I love mine.

For some strange reason that sounded kinky! :P

@ Darkrick, What Channel Station is that TV show Good Game on? I'd like to check it out. I wonder if its down here in Sydney? :?

its on the ABC2 website - u can stream all the episodes off it.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/video/

Tk5SF.png

Theres a program out there now - it allows you to watch any channel on TV for free, meaning HBO, Stars, usa, tnt, or your local news... basically all it is, someone hooks up their computer to their TV thru firewire some how and it streams what is being shown on TV, since the person paid for it, they can't be charged, and the company that made the software can't be sued because they provided the technology... but didnt force people to use it, just like P2P clients and torrents, you can't sue the NRA for gun crimes - they just provide the guns, they don't tell people to shoot each other.

Theres a program out there now - it allows you to watch any channel on TV for free, meaning HBO, Stars, usa, tnt, or your local news... basically all it is, someone hooks up their computer to their TV thru firewire some how and it streams what is being shown on TV, since the person paid for it, they can't be charged, and the company that made the software can't be sued because they provided the technology... but didnt force people to use it, just like P2P clients and torrents, you can't sue the NRA for gun crimes - they just provide the guns, they don't tell people to shoot each other.

I heard about this, i just dont remember what it was called. It costed $150 American though..