The price of dragon longs...can anyone explain?

Darkginger

So, the standard price for a d long is 100k, right? Which is exactly the same price you pay for it from the source (plus the cut diamond 'entrance fee'). What I don't understand is why no one is making a profit here? Once you've done the quest, and got your d long you'd think you could sell it on for a little more than you bought it for - just as coloured Canifis robes, boots & gloves go for more than the source price, because not everyone has completed the quest to be able to go get them.

Does anyone know the reason for this? I'm not looking to go buy loads and make money off of them (perfectly happy with just the one I have :)), I'm just a bit puzzled as to why this is the case - can anyone explain? It seems that those who buy them, having paid the diamond fee, are actually making a loss when they sell them for 100k - and that is so against the general trend in RS it struck me as odd. What am I missing?

I'm sorry, could you clarify how this classifies as asking for help or advice? I thought it was a discussion topic, as I require neither help nor advice on it. I was merely speculating on why this particular item seems to be sold at cost price, and the reason for it - I do not need help selling a d long, nor advice on how to make a profit whilst doing so. Perhps I didn't make myself very clear...

But any answers appreciated! :)

Probably because the people need to finish the quest in order to wield it, so when they finish they might as well buy it from the source. It's different from the Canifis clothes because you don't need to finish the quest to use them.

You are what you eat. But, I am human, so that means... oh no!

Indeed they can, but I have often sold colourd gloves on P2P worlds for 2k + - offered, not a price set by me. I assumed people were paying for the convenience of not having to go to Canifis (or the gnomes for pastel colours), and therefore the same would seem to apply to d longs...but then I guess you only ever need one at a time, so maybe that's why, plus the quest requirement?

Edited to add - but it still seems illogical (Captain) - if you're buying a d long, then why are you buying it from a player and not after you complete the quest? If you don't have the diamond required at the time, surely the vendor should factor the cost of that in when selling? It's still a mystery to me!

If you haven't completed the quest, you can't wield a d long, so the only accessibility issue is whether or not you want to pay more just so you don't have to go to Zanaris. Most people don't.

I thought it was a discussion topic, as I require neither help nor advice on it.

Agreed. Strange move there cdub :P

In a little hilltop village they gambled for my clothes

I bargained for salvation and they gave me a lethal dose

I offered up my innocence, I got repaid with scorn

"Come in'', she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm"

What am I missing?

Question....

and yes, you need to complete the quest, who would pay 200k, lets say, for something they can get for 100k at a store. You can sell them for like 110k if someone is desperate but not much more, and i usually see them for like 90k.

sig3gk6.png

The same seems to apply for a few dragon weapons that have quest requirements, look at d scimmy and d baxe prices. A dd and super weapon poison pot is cheaper than buying a dds, when I done Lost City i did that as i couldnt afford it then. D maces i see going for 30k sometimes.

What am I missing?

Question....

and yes, you need to complete the quest, who would pay 200k, lets say, for something they can get for 100k at a store. You can sell them for like 110k if someone is desperate but not much more, and i usually see them for like 90k.

Taking a tangent hear for a second but have you ever priced arrows or feathers? Feathers start at 2gp in the port sarim fish store. The cheapest I have found them for sale on world 1 is 5gp (normally 7-8). Arrows are the same way, more than what the store price is asking (I think the basic runes are to) The answer is convenience. Nobody really want to spend an hour in some store waiting for a feather or a rune to re-spawn to get a cheap price.

With all that said, D longs are easy to get (buying off players not withstanding) a cut diamond is nothing when compared to the original price of a D long. The quest isn't all that hard and once it's over you can continuously go back and get as many as you like. Plus anyone that wants to use it has to do the quest so there isn't the demand like you see from Canifis robes with F2P. So just that would keep the price just above new cost. Now throw in players, people selling there D longs because they've moved onto a different weapon, people moving back to F2P, PKed them from the wild. More weapons then buyers means that they will never sell at cost on the street. If you didn't have to do the quest to use the weapon or if they could be used in the F2P worlds then they would probably keep there value or go up. But since they don't you have what we got now.

Telroth1.png

What am I missing?

Question....

Taking a tangent hear for a second but have you ever priced arrows or feathers? Feathers start at 2gp in the port sarim fish store. The cheapest I have found them for sale on world 1 is 5gp (normally 7-8). Arrows are the same way, more than what the store price is asking (I think the basic runes are to) The answer is convenience. Nobody really want to spend an hour in some store waiting for a feather or a rune to re-spawn to get a cheap price.

With all that said, D longs are easy to get (buying off players not withstanding) a cut diamond is nothing when compared to the original price of a D long. The quest isn't all that hard and once it's over you can continuously go back and get as many as you like. Plus anyone that wants to use it has to do the quest so there isn't the demand like you see from Canifis robes with F2P. So just that would keep the price just above new cost. Now throw in players, people selling there D longs because they've moved onto a different weapon, people moving back to F2P, PKed them from the wild. More weapons then buyers means that they will never sell at cost on the street. If you didn't have to do the quest to use the weapon or if they could be used in the F2P worlds then they would probably keep there value or go up. But since they don't you have what we got now.

exzatily its much easyer to go buy a item on the street in varrock east bank then to go to a store

DoD:S ownage

what we have here is a ..um.. failur to communcate

check out my steam ID page @ alpha company