Do you believe in God?

Kryptix

I believe you have contradicted yourself slightly there, because by saying that the godly thing to do is give food - how come there are people starving in the world? Surely if it's in god's character to give food to a hungry person then, being god and all, he'd have done it. Or is he like alot of christians and doesn't practice what he preaches?

Yes this next bit is stating the obvious but I must to illustrate my point.

Christianity is a religion. It is based on a man dying 2000 years ago - before that there was no christianity. You may argue that there was a god, but there was no religion. The religion is based on this man dying 'for our sins', so before 0CE there was no christianity. That would make your claim that things done without knowledge still being christian invalid, because they were still done before the religion was founded.

of course there was a religion...the jews...who were prmised a messiah...or deliverer

that deliverer has come and gone...and will come again...but jews do not believe he has come yet...so there was religion b4 christianity based on the christian and jewish God...only difference is that the messiah has either come yet or not

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it when Christians say that Christianity is one of the oldest religions. :lol: It's actually fairly new, compared to others.

I'm confused by Christianity..Doesn't their little Bible say, in the what, First commandment, "Thou shall not bring worship upon anything as a God besides God himself."? Christians worship Christ....They're all in deep crap when they die. :lol:

I don't care about the story about God handing the throne over to Christ temporarily, that's crap. God said "Thou shall not..." not "Thou shall make only one exception." So I don't get the whole thing.

Religion is just a big, confusing mess. Only one religion could possibley be 'correct', and considering Jews were promised a meissiah, and he came, I guess that would prove their religion isn't particularily wrong. :?

Baaaah, stupid religion. This is why I choose not to take part in it! I'll believe what I hear, but I won't take part....Ick.

I love it when Christians say that Christianity is one of the oldest religions. :lol: It's actually fairly new, compared to others.

I'm confused by Christianity..Doesn't their little Bible say, in the what, First commandment, "Thou shall not bring worship upon anything as a God besides God himself."? Christians worship Christ....They're all in deep crap when they die. :lol:

I don't care about the story about God handing the throne over to Christ temporarily, that's crap. God said "Thou shall not..." not "Thou shall make only one exception." So I don't get the whole thing.

Religion is just a big, confusing mess. Only one religion could possibley be 'correct', and considering Jews were promised a meissiah, and he came, I guess that would prove their religion isn't particularily wrong. :?

Baaaah, stupid religion. This is why I choose not to take part in it! I'll believe what I hear, but I won't take part....Ick.

holy trinity...3 in 1...hard to comprehend....Christ=God

They aren't even "one in the same". You're supposed to worship God, but know and accept that Christ died for your sins, not worship Christ. I can't remember the last time I was watching one of those Evangelis Christian dudes on TV and they mentioned anything about God...It's always "Jesus this,".."Jesus that".

I believe you have contradicted yourself slightly there, because by saying that the godly thing to do is give food - how come there are people starving in the world? Surely if it's in god's character to give food to a hungry person then, being god and all, he'd have done it. Or is he like alot of christians and doesn't practice what he preaches?

here's the Bible's reason why God hasn't come down to resolve all the problems that exist because of humanity: He doesn't want to force people to love Him. For some reason, He sees our ability to choose for our selves as being more important then anything else, even world hunger. Thus, He isn't going to solve the broblem in a supernatural manner, leaving only His church to work through on earth. as you observed, many Christians (in fact all to some extent or another) don't practice what they preach. So a lot of what God wants to get done doesn't ever happen.

Yes this next bit is stating the obvious but I must to illustrate my point.

Christianity is a religion. It is based on a man dying 2000 years ago - before that there was no christianity. You may argue that there was a god, but there was no religion. The religion is based on this man dying 'for our sins', so before 0CE interesting side note: there is no year "0," it goes from 1bc (or bce) to 1ad (1ce) there was no christianity. That would make your claim that things done without knowledge still being christian invalid, because they were still done before the religion was founded. Yes, sin is sin, regardless of whether one knowingly commits it. And absolutely no sin can ever be called Christian. (Because Christ was without any sin) Everything that is wrong has been wrong from the beginning, and that which is true has always been true. The only difference between those who lived before Christ, and the rest of us is that we no longer can plead ignorance because Jesus is our example of how God intends us to live our lives.

Onto the next one...

Christ ISN'T God.

Christ is God's son.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning....The word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1:1,14 The word spoken of by John is Jesus of Nazareth. note the phraise, "and the Word was God," if you believe the Bible, then Jesus and the Father, and the Spirit are all the same. If not, then what basis do you have for your claims? Don't assume that you know more about any philosophy/religion then one who holds to it; it makes you look rather foolish.

"He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he can not lose."

--Jim Elliot

"You must picture me alone in that room in Magdalen, night after night, feeling, whenever my mind lifted even for a second from my work, the steady, unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet. That which I greatly feared had at last come upon me. In the Trinity Term of 1929 I gave in, and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps, that night, the most dejected and reluctant convert in all England. I did not then see what is now the most shining and obvious thing; the Divine humility which will accept a convert even on such terms. The Prodical Son at least walked home on his own two feet. But who can duly adore that love which will open the high gates to a prodigal who is brought in kicking, struggling, resentful, and darting his eyes in every direction for a chance of escape? The words compelle intrare, compel them to come in, have been so abused by wicked men that we shudder at them; but, properly understood, they plumb the depth of the Divine mercy. The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation."

--C.S.Lewis

It says the word was God, yet it says that "the word" came from "the father", implying it was 2 differnet things.

So now Jesus was the son of God, but he was also God aswell? Mmm, there's a nice dose of "how about no..." for ya'.

Anyone can say they know more than religion knows about itself, because if religion were a person, it would be a very confused, mentally unstable person. Religion contradicts itself more times than anyone on Earth ever could, yet we're supposed to believe it and call it "faith"...Right...

It's just pure gullibility to believe religion is 100% correct. Adam and Eve, for example...Incest is against the word of God, yet all their children went around humping like bunnies.

Religion is also FULL of metaphores that people took out of context. Hell, for example, is a place of complete darkness underground, also called a GRAVE. Not some burning lake of fire. Hell is just a scare tactic, it doesn't exsist as some burning place. So "the word" being the word of God, and Jesus brought the word of God with him. Are they still the same being? Nope. Never were.

Anyyyyyways, don't talk to me like I'm trying to discredit everything and make myself sound all uber-cool-to-the-max. Because I'm not, I don't care enough.

It says the word was God, yet it says that "the word" came from "the father", implying it was 2 differnet things.

Think of it this way: There are companies that have a seperate department for manufacture, shipping, and one for distribution. These divisions are all seperate, but comprise one company. If you parrallelled God to one of these companies, the Father would be the manufacturing division. Jesus would be the shipping division. And the Spirit would be the distribution division. They are all seperate, but form one God.

So now Jesus was the son of God, but he was also God aswell? Mmm, there's a nice dose of "how about no..." for ya'.

Anyone can say they know more than religion knows about itself, because if religion were a person, it would be a very confused, mentally unstable person. Religion contradicts itself more times than anyone on Earth ever could, yet we're supposed to believe it and call it "faith"...Right...

I'm refering to any given religion... For example, because you are not a Christian, you do not know what it means to be a Christian. Since I'm not a Muslim, I do not know what it means to be a Muslim. I know a few things about Islam (I've even read the Qu'ran) but I would not dream of claiming that I know what it means to be a Muslim. Unless I were to become a Muslim, that is simply something that I can not fully grasp.

It's just pure gullibility to believe religion is 100% correct. Adam and Eve, for example...Incest is against the word of God, yet all their children went around humping like bunnies.

Anyyyyyways, don't talk to me like I'm trying to discredit everything and make myself sound all uber-cool-to-the-max. Because I'm not, I don't care enough.That's your problem, you don't cair enough to truely seek the truth, no matter what that may entail. Been there, done that... Then somebody made me really, really mad, so I decided to disscredit the Bible. It didn't work though :wink:

"He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he can not lose."

--Jim Elliot

"You must picture me alone in that room in Magdalen, night after night, feeling, whenever my mind lifted even for a second from my work, the steady, unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet. That which I greatly feared had at last come upon me. In the Trinity Term of 1929 I gave in, and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps, that night, the most dejected and reluctant convert in all England. I did not then see what is now the most shining and obvious thing; the Divine humility which will accept a convert even on such terms. The Prodical Son at least walked home on his own two feet. But who can duly adore that love which will open the high gates to a prodigal who is brought in kicking, struggling, resentful, and darting his eyes in every direction for a chance of escape? The words compelle intrare, compel them to come in, have been so abused by wicked men that we shudder at them; but, properly understood, they plumb the depth of the Divine mercy. The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation."

--C.S.Lewis

Umm..

So by what you said, they're still not one being. They're seperate beings, Jesus just 'shipped' the word of God. It's simple enough..God created Jesus, Jesus didn't just up and create himself. Before Jesus came about..God would have been, what...Missing a peice of..him..self...What the hell, just, shhh, they're seperate beings. :lol:

How can anyone "Seek the truth" when noone knows what the truth is. You apparently believe the Bible is truth, but when you die, and go nowhere, then you'll know it was only stories that some dude made up to make people sit down, shut their mouths, and play nice.

Ah, the mighty Bible-banger, behold, they know of nothing, yet believe they know of everything just because a little book told them so!

Arrrrrrrg.

here's the Bible's reason why God hasn't come down to resolve all the problems that exist because of humanity: He doesn't want to force people to love Him. For some reason, He sees our ability to choose for our selves as being more important then anything else, even world hunger.
I'd say that Noah is the perfect contridiction to that. If god had no intention to force people to love him then Noah's ark would pretty much be completely BS.

Thus, He isn't going to solve the broblem in a supernatural manner, leaving only His church to work through on earth. as you observed, many Christians (in fact all to some extent or another) don't practice what they preach. So a lot of what God wants to get done doesn't ever happen.
As stated above, apparently he has solved the problem of people not loving him / following the religion by drowning them all... and if that isn't scare tactics, then you have me stumped.

Yes, sin is sin, regardless of whether one knowingly commits it. And absolutely no sin can ever be called Christian. (Because Christ was without any sin) Everything that is wrong has been wrong from the beginning, and that which is true has always been true. The only difference between those who lived before Christ, and the rest of us is that we no longer can plead ignorance because Jesus is our example of how God intends us to live our lives.
What about Judaism and being the Messiah? He never fullfilled that, yet claimed to be it :-?

Question to christians relating to this topic http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=55756

If aliens were ever to be discovered what would the religeous stance on this. Would it be a miricle of god?

And what if intelligent life landed on earth? If they are kind creatures would you just say thats its gods way fo giving us some other new message and if they are hostile would you just say that its the devils work?

Would you try and convince these aliens, creatures much more intelligent than us, with the primitive idea that god exists?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Question to christians relating to this topic http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=55756

If aliens were ever to be discovered what would the religeous stance on this. Would it be a miricle of god?

And what if intelligent life landed on earth? If they are kind creatures would you just say thats its gods way fo giving us some other new message and if they are hostile would you just say that its the devils work?

Would you try and convince these aliens, creatures much more intelligent than us, with the primitive idea that god exists?

A more important question would be;

What if Aliens transcend God and the bible, becoming this figure far more knowledgeable and amazing then any of the miracles and feats God and Jesus has done combined?

Are the Aliens or God worshipped? If God, how could you worship something of lesser status. In current terms, itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s like worshipping your countries leader over God; you just donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t do that.

Nothing said about aliens in the Bible.

We'll cross that bridge (if and) when we come to it?

No, i do not.. the bible was probably written by some drunk named jesus ( speaked in spanish ) and let some people with power see it, then it got published and people wrote on it more and more.. and its probably not worth flaming me cause im not looking back to this topic :P

Are the Aliens or God worshipped? If God, how could you worship something of lesser status. In current terms, itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s like worshipping your countries leader over God; you just donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t do that.

Wrong, as long as the people don't have enough knowledge, you can brainwash a whole nation to believe or worship anything you want. Germany (the former commonwealth of Weimar in the 1930's) was led by Hitler, and since he owned all the media and only allowed Nazi stations to operate as information gates for the people, the people started praying to Hitler and worshipping him as a living God. Heck, he could've said that he has a pet bird which everybody needs to worship, he could tell made up stories about how the bird was once a human who did great things, the people would've listened to him.

I'm not comparing Hitler to any religion, but in practice they both use/d brainwashing as a technique to get people to be more loyal and to shut up and work. Religion is different though, people nowadays know about Christianity, Islam, etc. just because it's a tradition that has existed for thousands of years. If all the Bible's and Kor'an's were burned and it would've been illegal to talk about religion, there wouldn't be many religious people.

Nothing said about aliens in the Bible.

We'll cross that bridge (if and) when we come to it?

Frank Drake would like to have a word with you...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/origins/drake.html

Using really pessimistic values I still get a result of 5 communicating civilisations in THIS GALAXY.

However using average values Drake came to a conclusion of 10000 communicating civilisations whatever the value using relatively scientific values you get a value that is > then 1, itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s just a matter of time before we find one.

Do I believe in God? Yes I do. I'm a Christian who is 13 years old. I have been healed by the power of God not long ago. AND THIS IS NO JOKES I KNOW that God exists. these reasons:

1. Why would someone make up such a story? why are there so many churches?

2. Miricles happen!

Also, just go to church! Have a go at it! Do you want to go to Heaven or Hell??? Your choice.

Don't be embarressed by believing in God, you should be proud :!: :!: :!: :!: :D

Also I think that sometimes that church gets boring even though I'm a Christian but just listen to what they say, you'll be supurised, your life could change forever..............

:wink:

Do I believe in God? Yes I do. I'm a Christian who is 13 years old. I have been healed by the power of God not long ago. AND THIS IS NO JOKES I KNOW that God exists.

You can't KNOW thats god exists. All you have is faith.

these reasons:

1. Why would someone make up such a story? why are there so many churches?

2. Miricles happen!

Ok for a start you names three things there.

1. Somebody makes up stories for a joke, for money or simply because they think its true themselves not realising they have been telling a false thruth.

2. just because there is a lot of something doesn mean its right. more people eat mcdonalds food than anything other kind in the world, doesnt make it the best :P

3. miricles dont happen.

Also, just go to church! Have a go at it! Do you want to go to Heaven or Hell??? Your choice.

ive been to church, i used to go. then i realised that it was all total rubbish . i was a bit younger than you when i decided to challenge what i was told. go out and do you own research, read up on evidence and get some common sence. then decide if god really exists.

Don't be embarressed by believing in God, you should be proud :!: :!: :!: :!: :D

im embarrassed that so many people DO belive in god still.

Also I think that sometimes that church gets boring even though I'm a Christian but just listen to what they say, you'll be supurised, your life could change forever..............

if you thinkm that church is boring, even the slightest then you are having doubts as a christian. church isnt about having fun its about worship.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ve been to church quite a few times and was a member of CEBS (Anglican Boys Society). But do you know what I was a kid, they subliminally brainwashed us while covering it up as a bit of fun and games. Eventually to realise how stupid religion is in context of the universe and grow out of it. When youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢re young your mind is vulnerable to scare tactics such as heaven and hell as well as being open minded of things such as a grand creator or a human that performed the impossible as well as the silly stories of the bible.

Your 13, youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢re young and the universe seems mesmerising for it to appear from apparently nothing therefore the idea is jammed into your mind that religion is the answer. Give a decade and review your ideas, you may realise there is more to life then a god who made everything from nothing.

Here's my take on it all.

I think the average person beivives in an afterlife even if their not a follower of any reiligon.

I belive in God for many diffrent reasons.

Among them include I know there is an afterlife.

I do believe that only the very evil go to hell. (So someone who never understood chrisitanity may not go the hell)

Although I am not Jewish there existance was at stake more then any other reiligon in history and yet there are still millions of Jews living today. The probablity of them still being around is hundreds to 1. They have won wars when the odds were stacked ageinst them.

The average lifespan of a religious person is slightly higher than that of an Atheiest. This is probably particals the fact that christians are optomists but its a supriseing statistic.

And finally there is no logical reson to make all this stuff up.

All that praying didn't help Ken Bigley did it? :cry:

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi