One of the most important skills in runescape : ergonomics.

smobo

Ergonomics is one of the most important skills to learn. This guide will teach you how to train in ergonomics. Many people lack the sufficient skill in ergonomics, and thus are not getting sufficient training/ merchanting in. Countless people have also been needlessly pked because they where lacking ergonomics. This guide will take about 10 minutes to read, and will make you more productive at all the rest of you rs skills.

You are probably thinking "Ergonomics, i haven't even heard of that skill before, your probably making that stuff up." Well here is what ergonomics is: taking less damage. Yes thats right you are taking damage all the time while playing runescape. No not your character, you are. You know the one reading this guide right now. From this point on whenever you see the word 'you' in this guide, I'm referring to the reader, not the runescape character.

This guide is not a joke! Following the simple steps in this guide will make playing runescape more fun. Just trust me on this one, I know what I am talking about.

So anyways there are three main types of damage you are dealt:

1. Eye damage / Headaches

2. Wrist/hand damage

3. Back/Hip damage.

:shock: 1. Eye damage/headache :shock:

If you play runescape for a very long period of time, chances are your eyes will be sore. Remember the 20 minute - 20 second rule. Every 20 minutes stop looking at the screen for 20 seconds. Look at a far away object or look out the window. Don't stare at it, just look at it. While looking at it, count to 20 slowly. If you doing combat training, make your character eat something before this break, that way you won't need to worry about dying, it's only 20 seconds

You should set the refresh rate of your monitor to be higher. Lower refresh rates cause screen flickering, even though you can't see it, it's there. Also, make sure the brightness on your monitor is resonable and nice on your eyes. If the brightness is too low, your need to squint more, which hurts your eyes. If it's too high, the light can hurt your eyes.:cry:

If your eyes do get sore while playing, here is how to fix that:

1. Log out of runescape (this procedure takes 2-3 minutes)

2. If you wear glasses or contacts, take them off/out.

3. rub your hands together for about a minute, to get them nice and warm

eye-rub_hands.jpg

4. Slightly cup your hands, close your eyes, and gently place your warm hands over your eyes. (don't press on your eyes :shame: )

eye-rub_eye.jpg

5. wait for about 1-2 minutes, your eyes should be better now.

If this doesn't work, microwave (yes microwave!) a damp cloth for 5-10 seconds, so it is warm to touch (not hot, you don't want to be burnt now). lay down on your couch or bed, close your eyes, and place the cloth on them. Wait a few minutes your eyes should feel better now.

If neither of those two procedures worked, stop using the computer. You may want to take a small 15 minute nap right now. -.- (Not joking!)

:ohnoes: 2. Wrist/hand damage :ohnoes:

Most people do not type properly. Your not supposed to rest your hands on the keyboard or desk, unless you have a wrist rest. Keep your hands straight, don't over bend them. Your supposed to type like this:

keyboard1.gif

keyboard2.gif

- Don't crack your knuckles. Thats not the sound your fingers are supposed to make. It's really bad for them.

- Take a break from typing every 10-15 minutes for at least 20 seconds. This isn't much of a problem when playing online games, but use this as an excuse not to do your homework. (lol jking. Do your homework, just take breaks)

Back/Hip damage

Your back is important. It attaches you to the rest of you. Without it, you would be a very gross blob of gelatin stuff (eww). So being so important you need to take care of it. You should sit up straight whist on the computer. In a nice comfy supportive chair (only fools sit on stools). And sit like the guy in the picture:

ergonomic-chair.jpg

Also you should stand up and stretch at least once an hour.

Other tips

-Sleep! You need 7-9 hours a day of this stuff. This will make you more alert, and more efficient at everything you do

- Eat! Eat stuff. Nothing is worse then a rumbly tummy while pking!!!!

- Breaks! Taking breaks will make the game less boring.

- Go outside?!?! Yes go outside. Once a day at least. Breath some fresh air, get hit by some sunrays.

Well that concludes my guide on one of the most important skill. Though this stuff may sound dumb, it actually does help a lot.

Credits:

Smobo - the author

Wikipedia - the place I got a lot of this information

Runescape -Really if you don't know this one, why are you here?

tip.it - That is where you are now

http://www.kareproducts.com - I got the first eye cure images here

http://www.seating-ergonomics.com/ - I got the typing images here

/www.safecomputingtips.com I got the sitting up image here

Feel free to leave feed back.

Smobo.png

Got his first skill cape April 7th 2009, at lv 121+12 cb and 2000 total

HeHe.

I like it.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Very unsual guidebut i L()()()ve it! I didn't know about the warm arms/eyes trick before it helped THANKS! i hope this won't get locked, since this is alot of help! good one

I'd disagree with the 60Hz refresh rate, the whole point of higher refresh rates is so that persistence of vision can eliminate the flicker, for CRT monitors, 70-75 Hz is usually preferable.

Current LCD's are far better though, as LCD does not flicker, and you also avoid the static-induced dust field of the CRT.

Avoid glare from the screen, use a screen filter if you need to, but ensure that the area around the screen is adequately lit.

NB. Unless merchanting, Runescape is 99% mouse-driven, other than display rotation, so positioning and comfort of the mouse is at least as important as the keyboard. In general, larger mice tend to be more ergnomic than smaller ones, though use of other pointing devices such as a tracker ball could also be considered.

I'd disagree with the 60Hz refresh rate, the whole point of higher refresh rates is so that persistence of vision can eliminate the flicker, for CRT monitors, 70-75 Hz is usually preferable.

Current LCD's are far better though, as LCD does not flicker, and you also avoid the static-induced dust field of the CRT.

Avoid glare from the screen, use a screen filter if you need to, but ensure that the area around the screen is adequately lit.

NB. Unless merchanting, Runescape is 99% mouse-driven, other than display rotation, so positioning and comfort of the mouse is at least as important as the keyboard. In general, larger mice tend to be more ergnomic than smaller ones, though use of other pointing devices such as a tracker ball could also be considered.

^^Exactly what i was going to post.

Quest cape obtained at combat level 83, march 07.

wonderful, truly wonderful

i think that guides like these should be stickied because after all, health comes first

signature your as this use backwards this read to enough smart were you if

^^^^read backwards^^^^

anish00b.png

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=757562&p=6009903

^^^^The Best Melee Training Spot In The Game^^^^

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=786213

^^^^The new Bandits^^^^

even i have the misfile craze!!!

I looked into it deeper and your right about the refresh thing. I'll fix that now.

Edit: fixed now. I also added a bit on monitor brightness.

Smobo.png

Got his first skill cape April 7th 2009, at lv 121+12 cb and 2000 total

Nice guide! Please add a section about using the mouse. Runescape requires a lot of clicking, after all.

One thing I do is: if my wrist is sore, and I still want to play, I work on a less click-intensive skill, like fishing or cooking.

Wow, this will provide help to those that want to actually get better playing, but actually follow these steps. They may seem dumb now, but you'll be thankful. Thanks for writing this guide and gathering the information, I really only knew the eye one...one where you look away for a couple minutes, but I guess atleast 20 doesn't hurt. =p

99 Fletch~~99 WC~~79/81 Fishing

87/94 Magic~~84 Range

Etha! Saradomin Forever~CW

CB: 107 Total: 1788+

ON BREAK