Redesigning the Wilderness

swampjedi

I think currently one of the most unique (and useful) features in the wildy is the bandit camp chef. In case you're not aware of it, he is a man that you can buy pizza bases from. Next to him is a cheese and tomato spawn and a range. A short while away from there are some rats which drop meat, and a small net fishing spot. That means that you can come with a few gp (around 500) and buy pizza bases to make regular, meat, and even anchovy pizza, then sell it to the general store and buy more pizza bases. I think that somehow, new players should be informed of this option, perhaps through the head chef in Lumbridge castle, or the master chef in the cook's guild. To prevent the fear that comes with going into the wildy for this purpose, the bandit camp could be made non wildy (due to it being under the law of the bandits).

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think currently one of the most unique (and useful) features in the wildy is the bandit camp chef. In case you're not aware of it, he is a man that you can buy pizza bases from. Next to him is a cheese and tomato spawn and a range. A short while away from there are some rats which drop meat, and a small net fishing spot. That means that you can come with a few gp (around 500) and buy pizza bases to make regular, meat, and even anchovy pizza, then sell it to the general store and buy more pizza bases. I think that somehow, new players should be informed of this option, perhaps through the head chef in Lumbridge castle, or the master chef in the cook's guild. To prevent the fear that comes with going into the wildy for this purpose, the bandit camp could be made non wildy (due to it being under the law of the bandits).

I always enjoyed that area when I used to play the game ages ago. It was always nice to be able to go there and make pizza, although i got ganked a lot.

I have never Pked for the 2 years i've been playing but I always like abit of a challenge while doing a lvl3 clue scroll so I believe there should be like a new addition to the wild, something that would attract more pkers but at the same time skillers, etc. And this spot would have 'an unholy presences' so prayer is drained quicker and teleporting isn't allowed. It should have some mining rocks, maybe a rare tree(only found in the wild) which could have a special use.

Kaisershami.png

Kaisershami.png

meorkunderscore-1.jpg

I personally think PVP servers would be great...It would really change the way runescape is played.

I really couldn't agree more. PVP only worlds would be great! So I could have a character on a PVP server and a character on a non-PVP server. This would also attract more people to play RuneScape, some of the more mature audiences for that matter.

I personally think PVP Servers should be SEPERATE from Regular non-PVP Runescape servers. So you can only train your PVP character in PVP worlds and only train your non-PVP character in non-PVP worlds/servers.

PVP Servers -

These Servers would have training areas. Places to train melee, range, and mage! Would have safe spots, banks, all that jazz of a non-PVP server except condensed. There would be limited cities/paths to walk on and more places to train. Half the world would be Non-Wild and the other half would be Wild. The wild would be different than it is now, it would be a true test of skill. The lay-out would be the same, there would be level 1, 2, 3, etc. But the wild would go out all the way to a "Free for All" section. Where any levels can attack any levels. This area WOULDN'T be multi-combat, to prevent mass groups of level 126's from teaming up on level 50-70's. No teleing or praying will be aloud in any part of the wild.

Non-PVP Servers -

There would still be wild except not as much of it. Maybe decrease the wild to go to only level 20. Rune rocks for F2P'ers would be moved closer in of course. And so would all the other important places. This would eliminate the "Empty Spaces" problem. It would make everything condense, like a city. These worlds would be mostly based on skilling and not pking. You are aloud of tele and pray in wild.

These are my opinions. Anyone feel the same?

-Honeo

Training my pure!

dddog6.png

Alright you asked for it, Bufo the Great is going to give you his oppinion.

I would do sevrall things to the wild. for one I would have a 10 second delay after you have killed anouther player in solo combat during which time you are absolutely safe that would put an end to pjing.

Also I would make all monsters in the wild appear on free worlds but without member only drops. I would also make dragon bones and green dragon hides free to play and craftible. Also I would add more enviromental dangers like lava fields spitting alot more flameing projectiles from small rocks that do 1hp damedge to rare huge ones that do 3.

graves would be haunted the warrior grave at that mound neer level 15 would be a ghost you could speek too to start a members quest. this is a big one, No teleing if you are in combat that you engaged in. the chaos dwarfs would have a quest you could do for them and they would invite you into there caves after you have done it. Also I would like for the reguler world to have certain spots that become low level wild max of 3. places like dungions and crandore island would become wild. all citys would be safe spots and the trek between fally and varrock would become level 1 wild.

now about the wild in the traditinal no wild areas it would never exceed level 3 and only above 2 in a dungion. also most areas to the south would be safe as would banks, citys, bars, and towns. the lumbridge swamps would become level 1 wild, look at them and tell me you wouldent get attacked in a place like that.

so there you have it what I would do to the wild.

Clan Moderator from December 15th 2006- August 20th 2007

Founder of: Terran Gamers, formerly known as Militos Deci

Each time you are entering the wilderness (by walking, teleporting, or whatever means), you would be asked if you wish to be a pker or not. If you choose no, then you can't attack or be attacked by any other player while in the wild.

If any changes should be made to the wilderness this is something that will never happen. The wilderness is the only place in all of Runescape where you can be attacked freely by pretty much anyone. It used to be/still is to some, a place of fear and danger, if you went there you would most likely die. I would hate to see your idea implemented, it wouldn't be a place to fear anymore there would be noobs everywhere, drop parties and looters. The only area on the map where you can actually die from another player would be taken away. The best training spots (well used to be still in f2p) would be taken up by basically noobs and idiots.

That said I agree with what you said about the health bar, not sure about the clan support thing you mentioned, i'd have to think about that some more, sounds to me like it could be easily abused. I'd love for the whole of the Runescape world to be wilderness but as that will never happen i'm going to say I pretty much agree with what Nadril said about fixing it.

True, like I said in my original post, it would unbalance the game if favor of skillers. The reasoning behind my original thoughts, were, that pking is player vs. player. As such, I don't see much "skill" in killing defenseless, unarmed skillers. It would make more sense for those that want to pk, to fight others who want to pk. And I do understand that rune miners and green dragon hunters would at least make it worthwhile to pk for the ores and hides they would have. And that at least dragon killers have armor and weapons to at least put up a fight.

When I used the wild agility course, I was pked countless times. Just let them kill me, teled back to ardy and used lever to go back. Never took anything I was unwilling to lose, because I didn't want to lose it. Never took anything to defend or attack with that i was willing to lose, because I wasn't there to fight. I was there to train agility.

Being a non-pker

This is pretty apparent. Don't get me wrong I like the diversity of the game, I like occassionally being able to do some mining as you can't do that in many other games. But to implement your idea would completely ruin the game for me. The wilderness is the only area where you can kick some n00b butt, where those rs2 products that irritate you to end can actually be killed.

Sorry, but that can go both ways. Non-pkers don't have a monopoly on immaturity. Many of the times I was pked, they were kind enough to tell me how they had just "owned" me (without any armor or weapons). At least with a choice, you'd be able to see who the good pkers are and the ones that can't fight anything that can fight back.

Maybe some other dangerous threat could be added to those who choose to skill and not pk.

If Jagex ever made a perfect update, there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

[hide=My Stats]Jake_Corsair.png[/hide]

- Towns would be safe havens. This would be to insure that players can't get ganked while at the bank.

lmao that would be hilarious.

Player:" I would like to withdraw 25 lobsters and a dragon dagger pls"

Banker:" Certainly, sir."

*Random pker comes up*

Pker: "W00T free kill"

Player: " What? gaaah!" *falls to floor*

Pker: Only lobbies, poor nub -.-

But ya, the PvP system needs some work. Pjing, tagging, running, praying, teleing and clans get real annoying. At Edge and the castle its horrible. I cant get a straightforward fight without some noob pjing cause its his friend, family or they think they can get a kill.

Ive went to Mage bank on my pure, who was around 73 at the time, a lv 110 shows up with full blk d hide and a whip :roll: prays and runs over calling me a noob and i ended up dieing cause of it -.- . They need sometype of prayer block that doesnt take a whole d skimmy spec and only last 5 seconds and its especially sad when someone 40is lvls higher is praying.

The pking arena around the wilderness is a cool idea, you challenge people and if they accept its a full out brawl unless someone gives up or dies. Whatever the case, the loser loses all of his stuff to the winner.

I cant think of other ideas atm.

soulthresher.png

Well for one....I think they should make no teleporting. Or at least past level 5 wilderness -.-

I also think there should be a special area in the wilderness (like a little fenced area) where you cannot attack other people. Here people can have a special option where they ask for a death match where there is no running. I know, sounds like a rip off of the Duel Arena -.- but I'm a pker myself, and sick of all these people running from fights at the dark fortress.

sidewalksigpng9qg.png

Hazardmaster.png

They should have All Pking servers, which would be like this.

-The normal wild from lvl 1-10 is now all lvl 10 (Edgevill and up starts at 10)

-All of the normal world is lvl 10 wilderness also.

-The only "safe" area's are banks

-Multicombat and singlecombat areas are the same as they are now, for the normal area.

-Protection prayers cannot be used in any single combat area's

-Respawn times for noncombat things (Rune Rocks, Magic Tree's etc.) are cut in half, or even a third of the normal time to draw more skillers to the worlds.

Would be very exciting to be in a world like this. :thumbsup:

Mr Blasty33 - 116 Combat

~ 99 Attack ~ 99 Magic ~ 99 HP ~ 94 Strength ~ 98 Range ~

flaws-training is hell

flaws-mages will own a mele

flaws-rangers will own a mele

flaws-meles get no ownage

flaws-i cant mine rune without pked

good-if your range you kick mele butt

good-if you range you kick mele butt

good-use the prayer thing to stop attacks and mine rune all i want 8-)

what i would change

make a pk ON/OFF switch so we could turn off or on geting atttacked but once in a fight you cant stop until 1 minute after the fight

maxsig28nv.gif

make a pk ON/OFF switch so we could turn off or on geting atttacked but once in a fight you cant stop until 1 minute after the fight

Sorry if this offends you and anyone else who made suggestions like this, but it is an awful idea. The wildy without risk is meaningless. Jagex will NEVER make people unattackable in the widly, as it is the wildy's entire purpose. This feature would only be abused by skillers and pkers who want to avoid getting into losing battles by toggling it on and off during their trip.

Sorry if this offends you and anyone else who made suggestions like this, but it is an awful idea. The wildy without risk is meaningless. Jagex will NEVER make people unattackable in the widly, as it is the wildy's entire purpose. This feature would only be abused by skillers and pkers who want to avoid getting into losing battles by toggling it on and off during their trip.

Exactly. It's the worst idea I've heard since trammel in Ultima Online. Esentialy your taking out a large chunk of PvP out of the game if you did that.

Wilderness doesn't really have much magic to it, and also not too much point to being there except agil training(seriously who brings stuff there?), mage arena(easy to avoid death if you scout out and only need to do it once), KBD(people are safe once here).

Thing that it did right:

Green drags, even though most are below 20 its still semi dangerous, and profitable if you can manage to kill.

chaos elemental, but only partially, as its not profitable enough to be practical and people tend to steer clear.

Things that would be good:

-Slayer monsters with great drops, that either wander certain areas or are located farther back in edge dungeon.

-At the gravesites, perhaps have super compost as being retriebveable(as rotting bodies would create such).

- Unrest between monsters, have them attack one another if they wander too far into anothers territory.

-eerier music.

- maze to the far north, consisting of thin strips of land running through water. Would be intresting as spells coudl be shot across. As for rewards there, runes and seaweed spawns would work.

- A city that is a safe zone, roughly the size of varrock. Good place to buy arrows and would have 1-3 wilderness related quests, which would have to do with pking/wilderness involved events. With more quests completed more items could be purchased.

I need RS friends ={

My stats/goals: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=601922

A Ruenscape epic:

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=601983

i think the wilderness should be given more colour.

This way it would be more encouraging to enter and easier to see your possible pker that works for death.

IT should also have a better prupose than a place to beat each others oragans out. I think the mage arena is a good example of this

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Exactly. It's the worst idea I've heard since trammel in Ultima Online. Esentialy your taking out a large chunk of PvP out of the game if you did that.

As my idea borders on that, I do have to say I agree with you. Trammel was the worst thing to happen to UO. Granted before Trammel, I never left the city limits. But afterwards, it was almost too easy to play the game. Going to the other "pking world" (can't remember the name of them). It was like a ghost town, you could wander around it without fear of being pked because no one bothered to log in hardly.

If Jagex ever made a perfect update, there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

[hide=My Stats]Jake_Corsair.png[/hide]

As my idea borders on that, I do have to say I agree with you. Trammel was the worst thing to happen to UO. Granted before Trammel, I never left the city limits. But afterwards, it was almost too easy to play the game. Going to the other "pking world" (can't remember the name of them). It was like a ghost town, you could wander around it without fear of being pked because no one bothered to log in hardly.

I dunno what trammel is! anyone care to explain? (And I still don't know what pj-ing is :P )

There have been some really cool suggestions here, here's my couple of thoughts (some already repeated, I know):

- start the wildy at level 10, and make the levels go up much steeper so that you are about level 20 by the time that you get to the abyss. This will make green drags harder to kill as they will be in deeper wildy.

- remove prayers and teleports. As an aside, I think that all the prayer levels should be higher by about 10 anyway. The protect prayers are not that hard to get, and make fighting (particularly monsters) so much easier. If this did happen you would have to increase the capacity of the rants board! "OMG - i got pked111 etc etc"

- Have a few spells in the standard spellbook that tele to deep wildy. Not too high level - want to encourage people to use it.

- Have quests largely based in the wildy, with high combat requirements. Imagine if the final boss for Contact! was in multi-combat wildy. Would have alot less quest capes, I'll wager!

- More incentives to use the wild. I already mentioned quests, but slayer tasks (including a couple of non-burthorpable) would be good.

- Put a spirit tree patch in mid level wildy.

- Encourage all skills to have something useful there. For example: slayer monster that drops snapdragon seeds/herbs regularly; rare farming patches; pickpocketable npc with good xp/gp rewards; anvil and forge near each other (and a mining patch) but far away from bank; a monster that drops gold leaf as a rare drop for construction; etc etc

Good things already in wildy:

- only source of green dragons.

- abyss+npc to trade for cheap runes

- only source of red dragons

- mage arena/bank

- chaos elemental

- lot of clue scrolls

- agility arena

curanir1.png

Best Barrows Chest: guth skirt, dh helm, dh axe, racks, gp (23/08/06); best tt reward: robin, guthix helm, guthix legs, nats, rune legs

You want more pkers in the wilderness, not more skillers. I think your ideas for quests and slayer monsters are just "I want more easy kills" talking.

No, it's the "I want more reasons to actualy go into the wilderness" talking. If it's going to be dangerous in there they should add some good PvE rewards. That way those that are brave enough can get rewarded.

I dunno what trammel is! anyone care to explain? (And I still don't know what pj-ing is Razz )

Trammel was an expansion pack for Ultima Online back in the day. What it did is split the world into two, identical but different worlds. On one world it was a PvE only world, no PvP. The other was a full PvP world like what UO used to be. To go between them you had to use a portal.

It has to border on one of the worst expansion packs in history for MMORPG's. It completly ruined the games PvP.

also, PJ = Pile Jump. It's the act of killing a player right after they just finished a fight and are picking up the loot. It is looked down apon because generaly the person is going to be low on HP and food so it is an easy kill for the PJ'er.

I have some ideas...

- Prayer wildy limit (Like the 20 tele)

- Mage/Melee/Range only areas

- Better drops :pray:

- Higher level monsters in low level areas :lol: (Get the noobs out)

- More respawns in higher level wildy :ohnoes:

That's all can think of for now... :XD:

Luigisig.png

Revamping PvP is a hard one in the wilderness. The thing we need to keep in mind is that the games PvP is largly "luck" and level based. The only real way a lower level can beat a high level is through getting lucky hits. There really isn't any way to adress this issue, but we have to keep in mind it.

Bassicly, give food a cooldown to use. Too many times in the wilderness people get the jump on someone, hit some amazing numbers in a row only to have the person spam their food and heal right through it. I'm not saying the cooldown has to be very long, but I think that a 3-5 second (not sure exactly) cooldown would be great. It would be very simular to runescape classic's "3 hit system" except that players would still be granted free movement. They also would have a choice of when to eat. What it would stop players from doing is spaming their food (because really, shoving 5 sharks down your throat in a matter of seconds? I know, horrible argument, but yeah).

Well...if you're getting pummeled by 3 30's hits then you're just going to be shoving down sharks down your throat. Nobody likes to die. I say prevent food from being shoved upon throats when the food itself heals more than your total hp, or better yet make it so that it makes you lose hp. That would prevent safers \'

Make a pure arena...no food allowed during combat.

Allow thieving in the wilderness (that would be cool and scary) but make it so past lvl 40 wilderness...otherwise it would be lvl 1 whip steals #-o

I can't think of anymore ideas...i know most ideas are stupid but don't flame me for them :P

Revamping PvP is a hard one in the wilderness. The thing we need to keep in mind is that the games PvP is largly "luck" and level based. The only real way a lower level can beat a high level is through getting lucky hits. There really isn't any way to adress this issue, but we have to keep in mind it.

Bassicly, give food a cooldown to use. Too many times in the wilderness people get the jump on someone, hit some amazing numbers in a row only to have the person spam their food and heal right through it. I'm not saying the cooldown has to be very long, but I think that a 3-5 second (not sure exactly) cooldown would be great. It would be very simular to runescape classic's "3 hit system" except that players would still be granted free movement. They also would have a choice of when to eat. What it would stop players from doing is spaming their food (because really, shoving 5 sharks down your throat in a matter of seconds? I know, horrible argument, but yeah).

Well...if you're getting pummeled by 3 30's hits then you're just going to be shoving down sharks down your throat. Nobody likes to die. I say prevent food from being shoved upon throats when the food itself heals more than your total hp, or better yet make it so that it makes you lose hp. That would prevent safers \'

Allow thieving in the wilderness (that would be cool and scary) but make it so past lvl 40 wilderness...otherwise it would be lvl 1 whip steals #-o

I can't think of anymore ideas...i know most ideas are stupid but don't flame me for them :P

Or they could just give it a cooldown time between each time you eat. The point is if you get hit with three 30's in a row you SHOULD die or be near death.

Or they could just give it a cooldown time between each time you eat. The point is if you get hit with three 30's in a row you SHOULD die or be near death.

I agree with Nadril. I don't think Jagex intended food as a way to avoid death entirely, but a way to extend life for a bit. If you get hit high, and can't eat fast enough, you should die. Just as simple as that.

Yes but with such amount of pures in the wilderness chances are that getting pummeled by 3 30's consecutive hits is getting common so i don't agree. So why does food heal 20 in case of sharks and you're able to carry 20 of them healing 400 hp total? That's the point to eat.

Yes i see what you're saying that you should die, but i think people should have the option to not die, even if you should.

I don't think Jagex intended food as a way to avoid death entirely, but a way to extend life for a bit. If you get hit high, and can't eat fast enough, you should die.

"To avoid death, you will need to heal during a fight to restore your hitpoints. For this you will need food."

This is a quote from the manual of runescape written by jagex themselves. Sorry... :| your point is invalid :| or the way that you expressed it.

Right now food is pretty much adding that to your hit points, it's rediculous. You shouldn't be able to spam down 5 sharks to get back up to full hp within a second. Food is for healing, yes. Right now you can't win a fight unless your opponent lags, you get incredibly lucky or they run out of food.