Is the waterline perfectly level?

Viktorkrum77

How about lasers?

those are the closest to being level atm.

thats why surveyors use them.

lasers have nothing to do with it. Lasers are straight so they're used to show the level/angle of some single object from a distance. I don't understand what would make you think that lasers show the level in accordance with the earth.

I also don't understand what the original post is asking.

tension will affect it in the glass but yeah it should be level no matter what angle you are stood. thats why they use those long things with a bubble in to check things are level in the building trade

Good vocab : ) it's a spirit level

What I don't understand is what it's horizontal agaisnt, is it horizontal with vertical pull of gravity? In which case horizontal is not the same everywhere.... in which case if we had a massive (like 20miles long) then horizontal at one end would not be horizontal at the other end. Hard to explain :oops:

So any thoughts?

~MAK

Here's a curious thing. It would be horizontal; it would be level with the horizon, but probably not actually flat.

Maybe possibly ;)

oversized.jpg[/bads]

tension will affect it in the glass but yeah it should be level no matter what angle you are stood. thats why they use those long things with a bubble in to check things are level in the building trade

Good vocab : ) it's a spirit level

What I don't understand is what it's horizontal agaisnt, is it horizontal with vertical pull of gravity? In which case horizontal is not the same everywhere.... in which case if we had a massive (like 20miles long) then horizontal at one end would not be horizontal at the other end. Hard to explain :oops:

So any thoughts?

~MAK

Here's a curious thing. It would be horizontal; it would be level with the horizon, but probably not actually flat.

Maybe possibly ;)

the earth isn't flat, so obviously horizontal at one part of the world isn't horizontal in the other. Make a line 3k miles long and you'll have a 70 degree turn or so -not accurate because i didn't look up any numbers.

So any thoughts?

That's what makes me wonder about how the water in the oceans would be level, since all water is level.

And yes, you bring back up another question I had. What is it level to?

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

IIRC, there are some parts in the world where water would move up when you spill it on the road

They are simply optical illusions - places where the horizon appears to be at the wrong angle. Tests with a plumb line can show that the road is actually sloped that way.

A gravity hill (also known as a gravity road) is a place where the layout of the surrounding land produces the optical illusion that a very slight downhill slope appears to be an uphill slope. Thus, a car left out of gear will appear to be rolling uphill. There are hundreds of known gravity hill locations around the world.
fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

Just read the author of the last post. (edit: that doesn't work, unless the post was deleted the author of the post before this was meant to be rocketman)

The flat horizontal line has to be gravity defined because in space there is no waterline because of no gravity. I really should try and use better vocab, then my posts would be easier to understand.

~MAK

How about lasers?

those are the closest to being level atm.

thats why surveyors use them.

lasers have nothing to do with it. Lasers are straight so they're used to show the level/angle of some single object from a distance. I don't understand what would make you think that lasers show the level in accordance with the earth.

I also don't understand what the original post is asking.

I didnt mean level, i meant straightness. Dont get all huffy...

happiehour.jpeg

That's what makes me wonder about how the water in the oceans would be level, since all water is level.

And yes, you bring back up another question I had. What is it level to?

I think people are blatantly skipping over my post. Water is not level. It curves with the Earth.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I'm pretty sure that oceans are not level with the curve of the Earth all the way around, because often the gravity of the moon pulls water closer to it, resulting in a different curve and tides.

(Once again, I'm not comletely sure about this)

1z2zrwo.jpg

I'm pretty sure that oceans are not level with the curve of the Earth all the way around, because often the gravity of the moon pulls water closer to it, resulting in a different curve and tides.

(Once again, I'm not comletely sure about this)

Yep, that is true. Tides are caused by the moon I think. I was just trying to simplify down to just taking into account one force.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg