Starters guide to Construction, Walkthrough 1-33 and beyond

Kietaro1

CONSTRUCTION WALKTHROUGH TO LEVEL 33, at least.

Notes on layout design.

There are several things that I think are very important to start with:

1. Plan your house before you build. This cannot be stressed enough. Tip.it does not offer a house planner but there are other websites that have them in their calculator sections. You can also draw one yourself. Try to think about which rooms will offer benefits of being closer to others. With these you will save yourself millons. This is something that I wish I had done to begin with.

2. Also remember that you are only allowed 20 rooms in your house. My first house design had several gardens and formal gardens to make an open air courtyard. However, after spending around 225k on formal gardens I realised that I would not be able to build my second portal chamber. As a result I had to delete them and waisted tons of cash.

3. You cannot build above gardens. This should be obvious but I did not realise it to begin with. As a result I had to change my layout. It ended up for the better though.

4. As the portal chambers open up inexpensive ways of travel to several of the cities in Runescape, you may want them close to your entrance. This is so they are quicker to use.

5. Unlike most rooms, rooms with stairs cannot be rotated once built, particularly the skill hall and quest hall. When building these, the stairs will face away from where you are standing. In other words if you built the room while standing in a room to the east, the stairs would face the west. (This caused me several problems too.)

6. Adding extra rooms cost money. This is truely a no brainer but something you should definately look at when leveling. You can, as my guide will show, effectually level to Oak larders, the best way to level construction, in a short time using only a parlour that you start with (i.e. free).

Where to start

So you want a house to show off all your accomplishments, battle your friends, paint your armor, or just have ALOT of money. Well this guide will hopefully show just what you need and save you some money at the same time.

Getting a house.

In falador, east of the furnace, there is a small house with a black icon of a house found on your mini-map (Note: there are also estate agents in The seers village, East Ardounge, and Varrock.) It is here that an estate agent will be glad to sell you your own piece of Runescape for 1000 gold pieces. (Your house will be located in Rimmington no matter where you bought it.)

Obtaining Planks

Now that you have your house cut yourself 138 normal logs. After you have all your logs, take some money(100 per log)and 24 logs and head to the sawmill operator found northeast of varrock (Gertrude's Cat quest area). You left room to buy a saw, a hammer, and 207 nails*. Buy all your logs by right clicking the sawmil operator and chose "buy-plank." Find the planks and right click to choose buy all. After buying your planks buy a saw and a hammer and your nails. Bank all of your items except money and repeat the process with 27 logs a trip instead of 25 (no need to buy more saws and hammers). Do this til you have your planks and get ready to start building.

*May need more or less depending on how lucky you are.

Leveling

NOTE: I know there are ways of obtaining level 33 using teas, stews, and the crystal saw. However this guide is for simplicity and time/money conservation. Making those or doing the quests involved with or building the room/shelves/larders/sink/stove for the teas are not worth it in light of my time/money goals. Eventually this does become a God-send becuase you have the ability to boost your level by a total of 9.

Oak larders. This is by far the best route of leveling. This however takes a construction level of 33 to begin power leveling with them. So how do you get to 33?

Begining levels 1-19

Items needed.

Total Cash: 14421 (for level 19) + 1k for starter house

Total Logs: 138

Total Nails: 207 (Steel nails used, 3 per chair, just in case)

Total Trips:6

When you buy your house you start with a garden with a portal and a parlour. This will cost you 1k and your house will be found in Rimmington (south of Falador)

I did not have this benefit but I am going to try to provide the most cost effective way of doing this. I have only leveled to 33 once so I ask for your forgiveness in any mistakes I make trying to save money and time.

At level 1 there are 2 options to level. Crude chairs and bagged plant 1

Item - Experience - Cost

Crude Chair - 58 - 206 (using steel nails)

Bagged Plant 1 - 31 - 1k

Naturally chairs are your best bet. As a rule of thumb actually, your garden is a horrible way to level. This is of course if you are not like me and like the fact that you get farming and construction experience. (I loathe farming).

I would advise making chairs til level 19. They are the cheapest and we are not going for eye candy in this guide. Besides your house does not start to look awesome til mid to high level furniture. Do not waist you money.

To reinforce I'll take a couple of items to show what the experience to gold usage ratios are.

crude Chair - 3 gold for every 1 exp

Torn curtains - 17.11 gold for every 1 exp

Wooden B.case - 3.5 gold for every 1 exp

(Wooden b.case is faster but you lose 1 exp for every 1 built. It is up to you to decide to go for the book case at level 4. It is faster. I will use chairs for this guide.)

For level 19 (target level for Oak Chair) I would make crude chairs til I got there. I go this route because it does not take any extra rooms (extra cash). Get all your logs made into planks (138 planks needed). Then take a saw, a hammer, all your nails (207) and 24 planks to your house and make 6 chairs a load.

I teleport from Fally to my house and back to Fally afterwards which saves time but cost more money. This also takes 2 more inventory spaces (wield lava or earth staff, space for law runes and air runes). I go for speed personally.

Bank and repeat.

When you are finished you will be ready for Oak Chairs.

OAK 19- 33

Items Needed:

Total Gold: 59500 (for level 33)

Total Logs: 238 Oak logs

Total Trips: 10

Again, I would build things in my parlour because it is already availible. Oak gives same experience for all items built with only Oak planks. This comes out to 4 gold for every 1 xp on all Oak furniture. For this reason it is best to change to new Oak furniture when it becomes availible (i.e. Oak armchairs at 26). This allows for less items built and less time spent on each load. You do not need nails for Oak and higher furniture so your inventory will be a hammer, a saw, and 26 Oak planks. (At level 19) This comes out to 12 Oak Chairs, (at level 26) 8 Oak Armchairs and 1 Oak Chair, and (at level 29) 6 Oak Bookcases and 1 Oak chair per load.

Building 138 Crude chairs gives you 4002 total experience, slightly more than what is needed and I will use this as my base number in my Oak figures.

From 4002 experience you will need 14245 more experience to Oak Larders. This comes out to 238 Oak planks needed.

Fill your inventory with 1 hammer, 1 saw, and 26 Oak Planks. Walk to your house build furniture, bank and repeat.

In 10 trips you will be level 33 and able to make the best construction leveler, Oak Larders.

Note about servants:

Several people, myself included, opt to use servants to transport oak planks from their banks to the house when power leveling oak larders. This allows for no time spent walking between house and bank and house again. This saves about 5 minutes a trip, when using ports. This however costs money (price to hire every 8 trips)

So for your benefit here is the break down of the amount of meoney added per plank when using a servant;

Servant - Wage - items/8 trips - extra money per plank

Maid - 3k - 128 - 23.4375

Butler - 5k - 160 - 31.25

Demon - 10k - 208 - 48.0769

I do this to say that a butler is more than enough to power level oak larders. In the time that it takes to make him go to the bank and return I can at most build 2 larders and remove 3. That is a total of 16 planks used and he carries 20. The demon is overkill and costs more money. Do not waist you money, stick with a butler unless you just want to show off.

From here I would build a kitchen next to your garden and make sure the larder spot is close to the exit to save time walking. Then I would build larders to your hearts content.

My advice is to build nothing permanant til level 55 or so. This is to minimize rebuild cost(i.e. me rebuilding my entire house at 58, cost 6m but I upgraded alot with gold leaves and marble blocks.)

LEVELING PAST 33.

Just some math to help you decide if Oak larders are for you. I feel that they are the least expensive way of leveling construction rather quickly. I got from level 50 to 60 in 1 and a half hour. That is insanly fast exp. I have done some math to help you think about leveling this way and how much it will cost.

Logs versus Planks.

Note: Use the main forums on runescape.com to find Oak planks or logs in bulk.

I am a stickler for time and money usage. As a result I find that buying Oak planks instead of making them myself is better. However when I do this my side that says "Save money" flares up because I know I waist alot of money by buying planks instead of logs.

To exhibit what I am saying, I am going to assume that you are going to buy either planks are logs and not cut them yourselves.

Oak Logs:

Cost: 30-45 gold a piece.

Extra expense to change to planks: 250

Total: 280-295 Per log

In addition you have to make the logs yourself. How much is your time worth?

Oak Planks

Total: 500-600

For every plank that you buy instead of a log you lose 220-305 gold. From here I am going to use the high figure to make my calculations. This way you know that you will need less than my figures if you buy for the cheaper prices.

BEYOND LEVEL 33 WITH OAK LARDERS

From level 33 to level 55, the level I recomend really starting to build your house, you would need to build 310 Oak Larder which would take 2480 Oak Planks.

If you chose to cut the trees yourself

Oak logs: free

Oak Planks: 620k

Total Cost: 620k

If you buy Oak logs

Oak Logs: 111600

oak Planks: 620k

Total Cost: 731600

If you buy Oak Planks

Oak Logd: N/A

Oak Planks: 1488000

Total Cost: 1488000

So if you were to make your own planks out of bought logs, you would save 756400 gold (which is enough to buy 2564 more planks if you made them yourself).

The only other factor here is time. A trip to the Sawmill operator and back to bank without running takes about 3 and a half minutes.

So if you were to make all those planks by yourself that would take you 322 minutes or 5 and a half hours. You should note that I can use about 1.2k Oak planks an hour while building and using my butler.

I could build almost 6 and a half times more larders than anyone that makes thier own planks. Just something to think about when you are trying to level quickly.

In short, my desire to level quickly overpowers my desire to save money. Maybe if it took less time, but for now I but my planks.

Just to give a bigger example, I will show the money needed for level 60 to level 90.

84544 planks needed.

21136000 gp for getting your own logs and planks

25363200 gp for buying logs and making logs

42272000 gp for buying planks.

By this your best time to money ratio is buying the logs and making the planks. Then again that is up to you.

Addionally, since I will be using my butler, the total 84544 Oak planks will cost me 2.64M to get my butler to bring the planks.

Kiettaro.png

090108162337qa2zd0.png

It seems that no matter where I look, people say that oak larders are the best way to get exp, but I haven't seen why yet. Seems to me that a workbench would be better...

Other than that, it is a good guide for training without spending as much money as I did to get to a decent level.

everfreefire.png

everfreefire.png

It seems that no matter where I look, people say that oak larders are the best way to get exp, but I haven't seen why yet. Seems to me that a workbench would be better...

Other than that, it is a good guide for training without spending as much money as I did to get to a decent level.

With larders, they take 8 planks at a time, so they're 480xp per larder. With a demon butler, that is insanely fast xp.

Cowmasta13.png

Wow, good guide. Could have used it like 3 months ago when I built my house. It's kind of messed up now and I don't want to remove any rooms because I spent like 200k on them already...

But really great guides for beginners ::' .

7,436th to 99 fishing on July 13, 2008

[hide=Quotes that I lol'd at]

the day the fantastic four come into runescape, i will eat my socks.

what kind of topic is this. ihaven't read it yet

but i now it must be stupid.

[/hide]

• 3 weeks later...

a great guide, but later on you may wanna switch to making flatpacked carved oak tables in your workshop. each one takes 6 oak planks and gives 360 xp. you can make 4 per load, for a total of 1440 xp per load. also, you dont have to go thu that anooying "Are you sure you want to remove this?" dialouge.

Also, i have my house in talvery for a nuber of reasons, but the 1 that is important to this guide is that up the road there, there are a good nuber of oak trees. i run up the road, cut 24 logs, run back to my house and have my DEMON butler take them to the sawmill. since he's the only one that can carry 24, you need him. this is a very fast method, albeit slightly coslty.

i have gone from 53 to 68 in a realtilvley short time.... (ignore the sig, its broken.)

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Hi!

Like a month ago or so I wanted to lvl up my Construction from lvl 52 to lvl 67 and searched for the quickest and most cost-efficient way of doing that. What I found was that there is first a way of NOT having to spend like insane amounts of money for a servants help. And there's also an another way of quicker make your planks as with using the Hot Balloon Ride. And there's also a quicker thingy to take get from bank to your house and then to your Oak Larder spot. All of this I have covered here below and if that information help you (if u decided to extend or fill out your guide further) u can use that info in the guide, so here goes;

If you want to save money you can lvl up fast even without using a servant which this guide tells you how;

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=526281

The only thing you have to pay for except the cost to make the acctual Oak Planks is the 1k per golden string you have to pay the troll for making the Lyres, so a total of like 30-40k extra added to the cost of 250 gp per Oak Plank. You also need some like 100 Raw Bass (if you have an enchanted Ring of Charos that is, otherwise you need about the same amount of Raw Sharks).

I think almost everybody doing higher lvl Construction know the Balloon Ride Method but if you don't know it, it is as follows (with a twist I added);

1) Get to Castle War bank chest by any means

2) Dress in the lightest possible clothing (like Boots of Lightness and Spotted or Spottier Cape)

3) Get the required amount of cash

4) Get 1 Willow Log and 1 Yew Log from the bank chest

5) Get the amount of Oak Logs so that you carry as close to 40 kg of weight as possible

6) Now the added twist - get your wc axe out of the bank and wield it

7) Run to the balloon ride assistant just outside the Castle War area

8) You pay the 1 Willow Log to the assistant and ride to Varrock

9) Now start to cut the Oak Trees just beside the balloon to fill your inventory up so it's full

10) Pay the Saw Mill Operator to make the Oak Logs into Oak Planks

11) Catch a ride back to Castle War paying the assistant the 1 Yew Log

12) Go/Run into the Castle War area bank chest and repeat the process

The thing about bringing along your wc axe is that the axe just weigh 1 kg and even if you have to carr 1 less Oak Log along to be able to wield your axe you make that Log up because when you get to Varrock area you can cut you inventory full of Oak Logs there and make them into planks right away there and still be able to catch the ride back to Castle War area because planks weigh a lot less than logs of the same material. So doing this you can still make an almost full load of planks without not being able to ride the balloon.

I'm wearing my Boots of Lightness and my Spotted Cape and with that clothing I'm able to carry 21 Oak Logs while wielding my axe and carry 1 Willow Log and 1 Yew Log. Then when I get to Varrock area I can cut another 5 Oak Logs (the cash takes 1 space and the Yew Log takes 1 space - you have already payed the assistant the Willow Log so that space is freed up - so you have 5 free spaces to fill with 5 more Oak Logs) there to be able to get to make 26 Oak Planks per ride instead of just the 21, doing this method with the axe brought along.

Cutting the Oak Logs I prefer the 2 Oak Trees just beside the south stairs up to the south bank in the Gnome Stronghold area. These trees are very close to the bank and if you aligne the camera to show both trees and also the staircase up to the bank in the same screen you can cut them fast and you can see when the south tree becomes an angry tree spirit (which is very hard to see if you cut that tree with a camera view from just right down on the figure).

So doing all this cost just the cost of the Oak Planks and 1 Willow Log and 1 Yew Log every load of Oak Planks you make. And also the cost of making like 30-40 Lyres which comes to 1k per Lyre, so about 30-40k extra. So if you do just like 2-3 lvls of Construction those extra costs may not make up the cost for doing the lvls with a butler but if you are going to lvl up like 5+ lvls at once this method is cheaper than doing it with a butler because you have to pay him every 7-10 trips so doing that for many lvls becomes a cost that keeps adding up whilst the making of the Lyres is a 1 time cost. An extra cost can also be if you can't cut the Willow and/or the Yew Logs yourself (you need like 40-45 of each Log every 1000 Planks you make) you have to buy them and then that becomes and added cost (the cost is like 15k every 1000 Planks you make for the logs you'll need). Another added cost can be to buy the Raw Bass or the Raw Sharks you need to be able to recharge the Lyres (if you make like 40 Lyres you have to recharge them every 1 Hour or so with 40 Raw Bass or 40 Raw Sharks).

So if you calculate the cost of having to buy all the needed things (Willow Logs, Yew Logs Raw Bass or Raw Sharks) along with the cost of making the Lyres the total number is like this;

40k (making 40 Lyres) + 15k (total cost for buying both the needed Willow and Yew Logs to make 1000 Planks) + 10k/40k (buying the needed Raw Bass or Raw Sharks to recharge the 40 Lyres every like 1 Hour) = total of max 95k for every 1000 Planks and about 1900 Planks (40 Lyres x 2 charges per Lyre = 80 loads of planks x like 24 Planks per load = 1920 Planks per 40 Lyres you use to make Oak things).

So about 120k for every 2000 Oak Planks you use.

And about 175k for every 4000 Oak Planks you use.

So doing the butler method is a cost of 10k (if you use the Demon Butler) every 7-10 trips for the Servant which comes to about 90k for every 2000 Oak Planks you use. And 180k for every 4000 Oak Planks you use.

So around 4000 Oak Planks the none-butler method becomes cheaper and the gap of cost becomes large for every additional 2000 Oak Planks you make.

So to sum it all up, if you have to buy all the stuff necessary for the none-butler method that method becomes cheaper after about 4000 Oak Planks you use compared to the butler method. If you don't have to buy all the stuff the none-butler method becomes more cheaper alot sooner than at 4000 Oak Planks.

If you have the enchanted Ring of Charos and are able to catch your own Raw Bass, cut your own Willow and Yew Logs, the none-butler method becomes cheaper than the butler method already from like 500 Oak Planks thou you only then have to pay the cost to make the Lyres which is a 1 time cost of 1k per Lyre. So if you are able to get all the needed stuff yourself then you only have to pay a once-time cost of 1k per Lyre and lvl up Construction can't become any cheaper than that except sticking to making things that you can make yourself like Limestone Bricks, Steel Bars and Soft Clays.

Sir_Nitram99.png

8 skills at 99: Herblore - Farming - Cooking - Firemaking - Woodcutting - Fletching - Magic - Crafting

I like your addition to the Castle Wars method of getting planks. As to using your imformation, I do not think I am going to maintain this guide. It does not seem that it is in tto much of demand and that could be becuase the imformation is not that useful. I do thank you for your time and I will use the Balloon method you described if I decide to make my own planks.

I do have a question though. Can I use noted logs on my butler or do I have to make a seperate trip to the bank for each set of logs?

Kiettaro.png

090108162337qa2zd0.png

you have the figures from level 33 to 55 but how many till 50? im expecting a big difference but it would be usefull for people wanting 50 contsruct for barrows

4vr93cy.jpg

Thanks Terly for the best Avatar in TipIt -winks-

Once you got to lvl 74, you can build oak doors in the dungeon, which uses 10 oak planks & are slightly faster.

ranging pedestals (8 teak) are not good experience, unfortunately, because it have a very long loading screen.

All I learned in life, I learned on Tip.it

84544 planks needed.

21136000 gp for getting your own logs and planks

25363200 gp for buying logs and making logs

42272000 gp for buying planks.

omg do i see 42m for 90cs??

lets put some .'s

yes i do see 42m

far to expensive for me that more than i have and i would ever have

afbeelding4kopieae2.png