Farming Circuit and General Advice v3

Cryptogram

Hi, thought I'd share my farming circuit. Maybe it'll help, maybe you can feed back some useful advice. This post was last updated on 22nd Dec 2007.

My farming circuit uses most of the patches but doesn't include hops patches (with the exception of Yanille).

This isn't a beginner's guide. It's not really a guide so much as an example of one of many possible circuits and can only really be fully effective for people with at least level 57 farming. I won't talk here about various gardener payments, levels needed to plant various seeds etc as all of this information is easily accessed in the farming guide on this site.

If you are a beginner, I'd recommend starting off in Catherby, farming and fishing. Simply plant your seeds, water them, then...go fish! When you have a full load of fish, run back to the allotments and water your plants. Repeat this until they are grown. Whatever you do, don't just stand around like a lemon complaining that farming is boring! :roll:

Special crops included in this guide could be omitted if you are just starting out, as you need to be level 53 to start these, and fruit trees begin with the apple tree at level 27. Normal trees start with the oak at level 15 which is not a difficult level to attain.

When starting this skill, it's best not to get too many of the lower level seeds as you will quickly progress to higher level seeds and you will no longer need them. This is particularly important if you wish to buy the seeds off other players, and you'll find the basic seeds are dropped often enough not to have to buy them. Since the Grand Exchange appeared, you can get an idea of the prices from there, and you should be able to find what you need quite quickly and cheaply. Keen Slayers among you will know how useful that skill is for seeds, and at 60 slayer upwards, Aberrant Spectres and Nechryaels especially will shower you with useful herb seeds.

Once you get to level 23 farming, and provided you can access all of the allotments, I'd thoroughly recommend getting yourself three scarecrows, and planting these at all allotments except for Catherby. This way, you can buy, thieve or collect sweetcorn seeds (normally, 300-500gp each is a fair price) and plant them there - they will never die when you have a scarecrow, and are good xp for farming and cooking. Scarecrows are made using a sack on a haystack, using a spear on that, then popping a watermelon on as a head.

Basically, if you wish to level up quite quickly, then you'll need to plant both fruit and normal trees, as high level as you can of course, or whatever you can get your hands on. =P~ It's also worth mentioning here that if you are taking payments for trees in this circuit, you can carry the payments in note-form as the gardeners do accept this.

If you're made of money, then the Grand Exchange is the key for tree seeds. Even with magic seeds, an order of 10 can be fulfilled easily within 24 hours, although alas, people seem to want to stash their watermelon seeds for themselves. :? Also, I mention during the circuit guide that I use three of the allotments for sweetcorn. As strawberry seeds are now easily obtained from the Grand Exchange, you may wish to plant these instead for more xp,and pay the paltry sum of two baskets of apples(5) to pay for both patches to be protected.

Here's the circuit. It takes approximately 1 hour 45 minutes including chopping down five magic trees, so it varies slightly, as does the start of the circuit. Usually I start at Castle Wars, but since I find myself at the Grand Exchange lately on log-in, I sometimes start by taking the spirit tree from Varrock to the Gnome Tree Village as shown here.

aV38mJR0.jpg

aV38mTPA.jpg

I then speak to Elkoy at the far South-West of the village.

aV38npfr.jpg

This involves a lot less running than the original start. Credit and thanks to Freesia (aka Eradicate it) for the idea. ::'

1. Castle Wars start - East and North to the fruit tree patch carrying hops seeds or barley seeds and payment for them to be looked after.

111stftmap.jpg

11stfruittree.jpg

2. South to Yanille (or teleport to the Watchtower) and plant barley or higher in the hops patch (the only hops patch I use, and if I haven't any wildblood seeds, I still plant barley at least).

21Hpmap.jpg

2Hopspatch.jpg

3. After banking at Yanille, a run North from Yanille bank to the berry patch outside of the monastery, carrying the cost of the boat ride from Ardougne to Karamja (15gp with Karamja diary gloves), and an Ardougne teleport. I plant whiteberries here. You only really need an Ardougne teleport if you can plant Calquat, if not, take the return fare if using gp, and skip point 5). Also, if you intend to plant a fruit tree don't forget the sapling, as well as your axe, and bear in mind you may want to replenish your run energy on this leg of the circuit.

311stbmap.jpg

31stBerry.jpg

4. North-North East to Ardougne docks, on the boat to Karamja and to the fruit tree patch.

412ndftmap.jpg

42ndFruittree.jpg

5. South to the calquat patch in the Northern part of Tai Bwo Wannai village. When picking calquat fruit, if you have more than six inventory spaces available you may wish to fill up on pineapples on the way.

51Calquatmap.jpg

5Calquat.jpg

6. Teleport to Ardougne and bank at the South bank if you have a Jade Vine. Depending on whether you are checking-health or fighting this nasty piece of work, this will be where you get your armour, antipoison and anything else you may need for the fight.

aV28FsW9.jpg

aV28GpNA.jpg

You need your secatuers in your inventory for the next bit to get the seed.

aV28GYIA.jpg

If you don't have one of these beasts, after teleporting to Ardougne simply bank at the North bank in preparation for the next step.

7. North to Ardougne allotment where I grow sweetcorn with scarecrow and herbs (+see step 8).

71AAlmap.jpg

7Ardyallotment.jpg

Sometimes I do a round of thieving from the Master Farmer on the way (38 thieving required). I use 16 cakes and thieve until they run out.

61Thievingmap.jpg

6Thieving.jpg

8. North-East to Catherby and bank (not that far to walk/run). This is where I grow strawberries or watermelons and get them looked after. I also plant herbs and limpwort (+generally, when leaving herbs to grow unattended, I use irit, avantoe or kwuarm as these are very commonly found from various monster drops, and I'm not bothered if they fail as irit and avantoe especially are as common as compost).

81CAlmap.jpg

8Catherbyallotment.jpg

9. Obviously, bank at Catherby. Then East to the fruit tree patch on Catherby beach.

913rdftmap.jpg

93rdfruittree.jpg

10. Next, using the Ectophail, run West to the allotment near the undead cows. Again, sweetcorn with scarecrow and herbs (if banking, I recommend Castle Wars teleport to drop off produce, then Ectophail yourself back with the seeds). Then a short run West to Canafis bank.

101CanAlmap.jpg

10CanafisAllotment.jpg

11. From Canafis, having picked up one mushroom spore, one cactus seed, one berry seed, and one fruit tree sapling, I go West to the mushroom patch North of Mort Myre swamp (here, I pick up two supercomposts, ready for the next step as getting to the leprichaun is my pet hate. In my humble opinion, they need nailing to the floor! :wall: ).

111Mushroommap.jpg

11Mushroom.jpg

12. Using a duelling ring, teleport to Al Kharid Duelling Arena, and run to the cactus patch which is just South of the Duelling Arena entrance. After recycling my cactus, I then drop off my equipment with the leprichaun.

121Cmap.jpg

12Cactus.jpg

13. I travel from Al Kharid to the Grand Tree via the Gnome Glider which is a short run West from the cactus patch. I then run to the fruit tree patch South of the Grand Tree itself.

1314thftmap.jpg

134thfruittree.jpg

Also, there's a regular tree patch South-South West of there too. If you are planting a regular tree here and you have a spirit tree in Etcetera, you may wish to perform step 14 and then return via your spirit tree to the Grand Tree to plant the regular tree.

1411sttmap.jpg

141sttree.jpg

14. If you have not grown a spirit tree in Etcetera, you could skip to stage 16. Otherwise, West from the fruit tree to the spirit tree.

Farmspirit1map.jpg

Farmspirit1.jpg

If you have planted the spirit tree in Etcetera, you will have the option to travel there.

Farmchoiceetcetera.jpg

Here is the location of the spirit tree patch in Etcetera, and a fully grown spirit tree. I don't know why it has a face like a smacked backside, it just does. Perhaps it doesn't get diseased, it just gets depressed.

Farmspirit2map.jpg

Farmspirit2.jpg

15. West of the spirit tree patch is the remote bush patch in Etcetera. Of course, this patch only comes into any real practical use with the spirit tree nearby. After you recycle this bush, if you have a regular tree to plant in the Tree Gnome Stronghold, go back there using your spirit tree again and run South. There's a bank between the spirit tree and the regular tree patch where you can bank.

Farmbushpatchmap.jpg

Farmbushpatch.jpg

16. Home teleport to Lumbridge where I bank, and pick up one beladonna, one berry seed and one of my best herb seeds. I wear a fully charged glory, and carry runes to teleport to my house and to Trollheim (explained below). However, there's another regular tree patch at Lumbridge just round the back of the castle grounds. If you wish to plant a sapling while you're there, do this now then glory teleport to Draynor afterwards to bank and pick up the above items.

1512ndtmap.jpg

152ndtree.jpg

17. Having gotten to Draynor then, with the items explained in step 16 run north to the beladonna patch in Draynor Manor gardens (Western side). Don't forget your gloves or you will be poisoned and will not be able to pick the cave nightshade!

161Bmap.jpg

16Beladonna.jpg

18. House teleport to Rimmington (in my case), then go to the berry patch slightly West of the house portal (here, I plant poison ivy seeds as these have good check-health xp).

1712ndbmap.jpg

172ndberry.jpg

19. Next, teleport to Trollheim, running to the herb patch on the roof of the Troll Stronghold (here, of course, I use my most valuable herb seeds). You will learn of the advantages of this particular patch during My Arm's Big Adventure, but in short, your herbs never die here (something to do with altitude and camel poo I think :-k ).

181trollmap.jpg

18troll.jpg

20. Glory to Draynor again and bank, then run North-West to the allotment located South-East of Falador carrying a spade (I always bank my produce when farming, and generally use the glory charges for this allotment, going back and forth with compostables, sweetcorn and seeds etc.). When finished with this patch, I give all of my equipment including my magic secatuers back to the leprichaun.

191FAlmap.jpg

19FallyAllotment.jpg

21. Teleport to Varrock and run to the berry patch near Champion's Guild (or use a charged combat bracelet to get there).

211Vbmap.jpg

21Varrockberry.jpg

There's a regular tree patch in the East side of the castle grounds too. You may want to visit this before the bush patch if you're using saplings here as it's closer to the place you teleport to.

201Vtmap.jpg

20Varrocktree.jpg

22. After you've finished your business in Varrock, teleport to Falador and bank. A run North to Taverley brings us to the penultimate step in the circuit. The tree patch in North-East Taverly is used when I have saplings that need planting (sometimes I don't). I generally use the opportunity to recharge glories if I need to by teleporting to the Warrior's Guild with a combat bracelet first, then run South to the patch via the Heroes Guild. Once you've done your thing there. Teleport to Falador to the final tree patch in Falador park.

22finaltree.jpg

I use the tree patch in Falador only for mage trees (I like to chop away while catching up with prices sometimes ::' ).

I have calculated the total xp from this circuit to be about 10,945. This is based on everything growing successfully, and making thirty super-compost. Picking two palms, one papaya and one curry tree only (not checking health). All herbs (avantoe at the four allotments, 7 herb leaves from each) and allotment plants (30 sweetcorn from each of the three allotments and 30 strawberries from Catherby) growing successfully, and growing dwarf weed at Trollheim and picking six leaves from that. This does not include the 1200+xp from the Jade Vine every other round. Of course, the yeild is variable, so this is not exact. =;

I have, however, completed circuits having grown all mage trees, all palms and the highest xp-yeilding crops and have come away with in excess of 120,000 xp on one circuit, so levelling can be sped up tenfold if you have the cash.

When I have plenty of seeds, I'll plant cadantine, lantadyme, ranaar, generally higher level seeds and take my chances with the four allotments. I'll lose about one in seven herb crops at most. My snapdragon, dwarf weed and torstol are planted only at the Trollheim patch.

Personally, I always plant whiteberries and jangerberries in patches South of Ardougne and at South-West Varrock as these are sought-after secondaries for herblore. Also, I produce supercompost at Catherby and South-East of Falador allotments.

I hope that this is of some use to you. As I said, any constructive criticism would be appreciated. :D

cryptofarmjpg.jpg

89 farming on 11 Dec 07

Thanks for reading. :wink:

Don't follow me. You might not make it.

All your accounts are belong to us now.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks!

:D

If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator

Your right it is higher levelled farming but wow! You've encorporated almost every patch there is and efficiently =D>

Must have taken a while to perfect the route but nicely done.

9/10

wildxyak.png

99: Agility 28/12/14|Thieving 20/03/15

Not a bad guide by any means, but I personally don't see too much special in it. I don't know your farming level, but I got from 50 to 57 in less than a week using similar ideas. Again, good guide, but nothing too special.

One thing I would add is a route to the entrana hops patch just to craft a load of laws.

Great guide, but this won't be sucessful unless you have a fairly high farming level. Anything below 70 it would be a waste of money due to all of your plants dieing.

Thanks for your comments, guys. This guide is indeed intended for the more advanced farmer as a suggested circuit. I have tried to include advice for people who may be of a lower level. Not intended to be anything special, just sharing my experience in this underrated skill.

Just to mention though, most of the things I plant I have protected by the gardener, and my sweetcorn crops have never died while a scarecrow is in place. The only things that sometimes fail (maybe once every six or seven times) are the herbs that I leave at the various allotments, so this method, I find, is quite effective.

Very Nice! You put some real effort in this! =D>

I only have one question? How do you get all the payments for the gardeners? (I only have 60 farming, mostly gotten by just herbs and limps, so I don't know very much about the rest of farming.)

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

I only have one question? How do you get all the payments for the gardeners? (I only have 60 farming, mostly gotten by just herbs and limps, so I don't know very much about the rest of farming.)

Good point. Most of the payments are things that you are currently able to grow. Especially for the fruit trees as they usually ask for fruit from the tree that comes before it. You'll never be asked for something that you can't yet grow.

Now you are level 60, to plant a yew seed and get it looked after will cost you 10 cactus spines.

I would also advise having a curry tree somewhere in your circuit as the leaves are used to look after watermelon. Strawberries require 5 apples in a basket, but apples can be easily obtained from the "buy-food chest" in lumbridge basement if you have started Recipe quest. Aside from sweetcorn, these are the crops you should grow if you want decent xp.

If you don't have any of the payments you need, you can buy from other players. Let me know if you need any by PM on this site ::'

but maybe you could put a rune/jewlery list so we know what to bring.

I wear a fully charged glory which is only used at the final allotment. The runes I use are 6 law, 3 fire, 4 air, 2 water and 1 earth - these are for house tele, Trollheim tele, Varrock tele and Ardougne tele. The only other teles involved (apart from how you get to Castle Wars to start) are duelling ring to Al Kharid and a full glory going back and forth to the final allotment from Draynor.

I would also advise having a curry tree somewhere in your circuit as the leaves are use to look after watermelon.

I rather just plant a nastarium (sp?) flower, way easier. By the way, I once did some farming with 100 strawberrie seeds, and personally I found them hardly getting deseased. I thought it was not worth the payment for those very few times.

But even though this is a great guide, I think I'll just stick with herbs. They give pretty decent xp and you can earn some money with them. (As you see in my avatar, I'm pretty poor.)

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

wachtwoord - thanks for reading. :)

Good guide, but I find it's better just not using all that crud and just allotments and fruit/reg trees. All those special trees are useless except calquats and maybe spirit but that's on the rare occasion. You can try to even out from the profit from herbs and your best fruit tree. Or you can also plant your best allotment watermelons/strawberries a lot to get more exp. Ranarr, kwuarm, and snapdragon are some good herbs to plant for profit. Limps are good too sometimes.

Oooooh Kay, thanks for your input Cha0sx?

Not too bad of a guide. I've done my fair share of farming and find that all those routes are a little TOO much...Hops for example, not much xp and the harvests aren't that helpful unless you plan on brewing ales, which not many do. I find visiting each tree, fruit tree and allotment patches are good enough xp on their own. Hops and bushes give little xp. Picking cactus spines are sometimes helpful so normally I drop in there through the glider network.

I don't know if you use it, but the glider network is very helpful. It provides quick access to Catherby fruit tree, Gnome Fruit and Gnome Tree and Al Kharid Cactus. You can then use a spirit tree from Gnome Stronghold to Gnome Village to check the fruit tree there.

All in all, its not a bad guide, but I think its a little too overkill.

I like my farming to be plant, go do something else, and reap the benefits. Meaning I can train a few skills on the go. With this route, I'd find by the time I get to the end of it, I'm back picking crops from the start of my route.

A lot of bank trips would be included here as you are carrying around a lot of seeds and when harvest time comes, that is a lot of picking and banking! I know from experience, planting 2 watermelon crops and a herb crop at any allotment means a few bank trips to store all my crops.

Sorry to waffle on a bit, but I think for the average farmer, this is a little bit too involved.

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

[Tip.It Mod][Retired][Add your Steam name here!]

I Appreciate your comments, Mamong, thanks. Firstly, I agree about the hops patches. I brew Slayer's Respite and only use the one patch for that as it is clearly on my route. I visit the tree patches usually only to pick fruit, and plant new fruit tree seeds in one patch only (Catherby), unless it's the same tree as the one that was in there before. I do this route once a day at most, and sometimes not every day. It is meant to be a suggested circuit for those who wish to level up in farming consistently, and gives quite decent xp in my experience. The entire route takes approximately 45 minutes, and the banking (with the exception of Ardougne allotments) is via teleporting with glory and duelling ring. As mentioned in the guide, two of my bush patches are whiteberry, which are useful for herblore and always sought after (so xp isn't my only motivation :wink: ), and the other patch, in which I plant poison ivy, is good xp imho.

Nice guide.

Have a suggestion mainly for people that haven't done Heroes, and thus can't recharge their glory: At the Cathreby patch, use the highest you can put in a basket: Strawberry or tomatoes (plant a marigold and you won't have to pay the farmer to look after the tomatoes)

I believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for my sins and yours. If you believe this add this to your sig. Dancing

martin_danio.png

Martin_Danio.png

Very good guide, although I don't see why you would plant special/bush/allotment seeds. I only plant water melons when I need more super compost (once or maybe twice a day).

Maybe you could make a map with all the patches on it and draw out your route (lines for walking and dotted lines for teles maybe?)

Are calquats really worth it if you just plant them and come back the next day? I'm going for 99 farming and I can get a load of those seeds for a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance.

Very good guide, although I don't see why you would plant special/bush/allotment seeds. I only plant water melons when I need more super compost (once or maybe twice a day).

Are calquats really worth it if you just plant them and come back the next day? I'm going for 99 farming and I can get a load of those seeds for a reasonable price.

I use most of the patches, as efficiently as possible, to get the most xp. Each time I complete a circuit, I get as much xp as I would from successfully growing a high level tree, perhaps more.

As for the specials, the mushrooms I use to look after whiteberries, the whiteberries are used to make super defense pots (which I sell in super sets) or are sold to other herblorists. Cactus spines are required to look after yew saplings and are reasonably good xp in themselves. The nightshades have no use to me at the moment, but I'm collecting them for future herblore (only level 74 at this time). Poison ivy bushes are used in herblore as well, but give nice xp all the same when health-checked. As for calquats, I plant these as the check-health is worth over 12k xp when they survive. The only use for the fruits is to hollow them out and store 4 measures of my Slayer's Respite in them.

The higher my farming level gets, the more I feel like I'm doing the circuit for 'routine' or 'steady' xp. It's definitely the trees (mage, palm, calquat, yew, papaya etc) that really make a big difference at higher levels, so if you can afford lots of high level tree seeds and you plant them in conjunction this circuit, you can expect your farming level to rise quite quickly.

Have a suggestion mainly for people that haven't done Heroes, and thus can't recharge their glory

If you cannot or won't use a glory, I would suggest walking from Lumbridge to Draynor, and when teleing back from Trollheim, go to Falador instead of Draynor. All other steps would remain the same, but without a glory, the Draynor/Falador allotment would involve quite a bit of walking... :boohoo:

Hope this explains... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a thought, but I think more people would use this if you showed an alternate route without the special patches, becuase most people can't use them, and wouldn't know where to go.

9.8/10 though.

That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem

of innocence inside of you that makes you want

to believe that there still exists a right and wrong,

that decency will somehow triumph in the end.

--Lise Hand