UEFA Champions League/Cup - Euro 2008 - Leagues & Cups

Risen_The

Also, could you imagine Pele now? 40 years on with better balls, better boots, better protection (ever watch him being treated in the world cup 66? It's shocking), we wouldn't be able to cease talking about him

Even better, could you imagine the ridiculous money teams would fork out for a player like Pele or Maradona nowadays?

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus the fact that there are 3 or 4 that are better.

In your opinion what 3 or 4 teams are better?

Barca, AC Milan, Lyon, possibly Real Madrid and possibly Internazionale.
iteme3721.jpg

Lyon might be dominating the French leagues but they haven't proven themselves in Europe...

cescsig.jpg

Lyon might be dominating the French leagues but they haven't proven themselves in Europe...

what no juve? :uhh:

eggzs.png

Juve still has world class players like Del Piero, Trezeguet, Nedved, and Buffon, but they've been in Serie B all season - there's no way to tell how well they'd do in Serie A and Europe, especially after losing much of their title-winning defence (Thuram, Cannavaro, Zambrotta) along with defensive mids Vieira and Emerson.

cescsig.jpg

^All whom, however, were past their peak and simply cashing in. It prompted a look into fresh talent for Juve. In some respects, getting demoted may be the blessing in disguise for them.

Don't rule out a Champs League within 5-6 years for Juve.

Not trying to start an argument, but I doubt Inter would have won the league if Juve were in the top-tier.

For the record, I am not a Juve supporter - I don't really follow any Italian team (it's easier that way, to be critical :P ).

Ugly football invariably always wins, at the moment, such is the continuing desire for players to be bigger, faster and stronger, the need for skill and cunning are on the wane.

It's exactly the same as English rugby, and look at where the national rugby team is now, in the smegging doldrums. Football, take note.

Well you contradicted yourself there. Plus the fact that there are 3 or 4 that are better.

Basically you are a glory hunter and should support PNE.

Which is why I've supported Man Utd all my life, and detested Chelsea's dominance of the league for the past two years... :-s

And I haven't contradicted myself. Just because a team wins the Cup doesn't make them the best team in Europe. Wow, they can win a dozen games a season... that proves nothing. If you'd have bothered to read ALL my posts, you'd see I explain why Liverpool did so 'well', and Chelsea and Man Utd didn't fulfill their expectations.

And why should I support PNE? If you're gonna give me that lecture about supporting your local team, half the people in Preston support Liverpool anyway. No exaggeration. Plus, they're not a team. They have one good player (Nugent) who will no doubt be in the Premiership next season with a different club. Then it's bye bye PNE's dreams of promotion so far as I'm concerned.

I'm sorry, PNE had the playoffs set up for them, and they still blew it. Why on earth would I support a team as bad as that? I'm not a fan of 'blind-love'.

You don't know me, so refrain from calling me things that aren't true.

It's exactly the same as English rugby, and look at where the national rugby team is now, in the smegging doldrums. Football, take note.

Really? Because I watch a game at the JJB stadium everyweek called Rugby League and we're flourishing! England didn't deserve to win the last Rugby Union world cup, they flucked it. 'Nuff said.

Really? Because I watch a game at the JJB stadium everyweek called Rugby League and we're flourishing! England didn't deserve to win the last Rugby Union world cup, they flucked it. 'Nuff said.

If that's what you really think, then yeah, 'nuff said.

Club rugby and international rugby are slightly different. Let's not forget the fact that the two sports are very different in skills and matter, and how the NRL is so far ahead of the super league in standard, as reflected by every tri-nations GBR (I still laugh at that 'team') is comprehensively outplayed.

So, flourishing, you say?

If that's what you really think, then yeah, 'nuff said.

Club rugby and international rugby are slightly different. Let's not forget the fact that the two sports are very different in skills and matter, and how the NRL is so far ahead of the super league in standard, as reflected by every tri-nations GBR (I still laugh at that 'team') is comprehensively outplayed.

So, flourishing, you say?

OK, Chris Ashton on his way to your game from ours at the end of this season. In addition, Robinson and Farrell, not only both from League, but Wigan legends in themselves.

You can laugh at our team. I do too, our team doesn't even stand at the same level against the Aussies. But name me a sport in which England does ATM apart from football. However, I only rate three players in your international team. Wilkinson, who is without doubt the greatest kicker on either side of the code, Robinson and Farrell, who as mentioned before came from League. In essence, you're buying our players to give your code a much-needed injection of pace and agility, instead of the mindless kicking duel it was during the '03 World Cup.

Gates up by some 14% last season in Super League. Companies like Setanta preparing to bid against Sky for Super League rights. The BBC giving full acknowledgement of the Challenge Cup. The average attendance in League games higher than Sale Sharks' average. Wigan's average attendance dwarfing the Sharks' average.

Yup, I'd say we're doing pretty well for ourselves...

Sweden 3-3 Denmark

Sweden were 3-0 but denmark pulled back the 3 goals and in the 89th minute a Denmark player punched a Sweden player and got sent off, this caused the Denmark fans to rush the pitch and the result could go 3-0 to Sweden.

So ive been told.

Yeah I've read it in the news ..they said one of the fans that ran to attack some Swedish players was beaten up by the players :shame:

A friend to all is a friend to none.

Bad weekend for football all round, really. 12 Zambian fans were killed and 46 injured after their 3-0 victory over DR Congo. There was a stadium crush due to too many people trying to squeeze through too little, too small exits.

Being a Liverpool fan, we know how distressing this could be, and my heart goes out to all the victims. :(

England playing Brazil at wembley tonight, i dont normaly watch England friendlies anymore but considering the opposition and where its being played at i might make an exception.

Still not expecting us to play well though.

Great work by Gerrard and Becks

cescsig.jpg

Scotland slipped to fourth place in their table yesterday :(

But we're only one point from the second qualification place, so we've still got a lot to play for. Unfortunately, we've still got France to play away, and Italy at home... if we're not careful, they could put some real daylight between us and them.

Harrington.gif

Scotland slipped to fourth place in their table yesterday :(

But we're only one point from the second qualification place, so we've still got a lot to play for. Unfortunately, we've still got France to play away, and Italy at home... if we're not careful, they could put some real daylight between us and them.

It's still possible but I don't think our fate is in our own hands. If we win our remaining games against the Faroe Islands, Georgia & Lituania we'll have a chance. We'll have to hope for a few draws in the games involving France, Italy & Ukraine and we are in with a shout.

Saying that we might need one or two points against one of those big three - our best bet is getting a a point from Ukraine (hopefully Shevchenko will keep messing up).

To qualify from this group would be an achievement, it's easily the group the "group of death" (I hate using that cliche).

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

I'd like Scotland to qualify but unfortunately i can't see it. Call me a pecimist but I can't see any of the home nations qualifying.

I dont think that Mcleish will be able to keep the team spirit or the momentum that Walter Smith created.

Same with Northern Ireland aswell, they wont be the same without Sanchez in charge.

Bloody clubs. :x

But at least Scotland and NI had team spirit at some point :(

iteme3721.jpg

I dont think that Mcleish will be able to keep the team spirit or the momentum that Walter Smith created.

I thought the same when Smith left, but they appointed the right man who I think can motivate the team in the same way, McLeish.

It's not just the manager though, it's the players too. Under Berti Vogts I struggled to pick a first XI that I would feel is a good team. Now I can do it easy with loads of decent players to spare.

Though don't think we'll manage to pull off the points necessary though to gain qualification, we can still be proud that we have a decent footballing nation again :)

sig2ho7.jpg