Heroes of Newerth

Ryuuka

Ok, as some of you might have heard S2 Games is releasing a new title called Heroes of Newerth. The game is based on the very popular Warcraft 3 custom map(mod) DotA which is just as competitive as the regular warcraft 3 and with almost as many tournaments.

Heroes of Newerth is in the Beta phase atm and before it comes out i was just wondering what you guys expect of this game?

Played since February 2001

alexrn2vh6.jpg

13th to 30 hunting

firemaking cape achieved 6th August 2008_-_-_-_Quest cape achieved 19th August 2009

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found DotA horrifically boring and rage-inducing. I don't hold much hope for anything trying to model itself around it.

This statement shows that you haven't played DotA very much... and HoN is actualy a really great game

alexrn2vh6.jpg

13th to 30 hunting

firemaking cape achieved 6th August 2008_-_-_-_Quest cape achieved 19th August 2009

My friend has BETA codes for this (or access to the beta) and he said it wasnt very good.

I might be able to get the codes from him if there is any.

But im not really sure if everybody had access to the beta and if you need codes.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I got a beta code and i think this game is great! =D

it got all the good stuff from DotA and also fixed alot of issues that the warcraft 3 engine had

alexrn2vh6.jpg

13th to 30 hunting

• 2 months later...

Giving this thread a bump.

I got a beta key from a friend about a week ago for this after quitting Aion. I've never played DoTA before and I had a very loose understanding of what it was like. I think the best way I can put this to non-DoTA/HoN players is that it feels like an MMO in less than an hour. Like you have a leveling up phase, a leveling/pvp phase and a pvp phase... at least it feels like that.

Anyways I'm really enjoying myself. Favorite heroes are Phaeroh , Arachna, and Night Hound right now. Playing Phaeroh a lot right now, just went 7-0 with him in a match and I've done like 12-4 on arachna. Not too shabby for have been playing a week haha.

My in game name is Cyrant if anyone wants to add me. Beware that I'm still a "noob" though probably, there are still plenty of heroes I don't know much about and stuff.

Pretty sure pharoah has no e in, but okay.

I admit I giggled when you claimed to like Night Hound - riki from dota - the most, it's such a stereotype!

Personally I adore hon, but it has the worst community in the world, RS doesn't come close - so I joined a clan for more civilized games. Best decision ever! EU servers are a bit borked at the moment, so I haven't been playing recently, but the odd pubstomp AP where I instapick tempest is truly hilarious..

'Tis I, 'tis Vindice, 'tis I!

Pretty sure pharoah has no e in, but okay.

I admit I giggled when you claimed to like Night Hound - riki from dota - the most, it's such a stereotype!

Personally I adore hon, but it has the worst community in the world, RS doesn't come close - so I joined a clan for more civilized games. Best decision ever! EU servers are a bit borked at the moment, so I haven't been playing recently, but the odd pubstomp AP where I instapick tempest is truly hilarious..

e in? And what's wrong with liking NH >_>.

There are some people who are pretty annoying in HoN (mostly people who are really elitist yet join "noob only" games, and then complain when someone makes a mistake loudly) but some people have been fine. It certainly is a lot less daunting to start learning the game with HoN and not DoTA I think.

Phaeroh

It's not important - and NH is a solo hero, pretty awful in teamplay, which is the point of hon.

Yeah, a lot of people do do that. I've maybe been guilty once or twice, but I think not recently, I hope.

Phaeroh

It's not important - and NH is a solo hero, pretty awful in teamplay, which is the point of hon.

Yeah, a lot of people do do that. I've maybe been guilty once or twice, but I think not recently, I hope.

Oh, yeah, didn't notice the misspelling. NH is a carry hero though, and he has some really nice team support (his first skill which silences/snares those in it's radius is really useful). I mean, at least I feel like I do more on NH than those scouts who just run around and KS all the time lol. I usually play NH like a bit of a scout as well, I'll stick around enemies so my team can see what is going on and then I'll help with the gank when they get there.

Yes, NH is a carry hero, with no ult. Perhaps he's useful in pubstomps, but in any half serious game SOMEONE on the opposing team should get anti-stealth.

His first skill really isn't that hard to walk out of, and scouts are generally getting better these days.. Okay, wishful thinking. But still, NH is just as bad, if not worse, than scout. At least scout can really carry.

Yes, NH is a carry hero, with no ult. Perhaps he's useful in pubstomps, but in any half serious game SOMEONE on the opposing team should get anti-stealth.

His first skill really isn't that hard to walk out of, and scouts are generally getting better these days.. Okay, wishful thinking. But still, NH is just as bad, if not worse, than scout. At least scout can really carry.

Eh all I play are pub games so don't really care about competitive level.

NH isn't really that bad at team fights. when I play him I usually pop smoke at the beginning of team fights, run back and then pounce anyone who is trying to get away. The biggest kill stealer in my opinion is thunder bringer. It is so satisfying getting a double kill with his ultimate (damages all opposing heroes with lightning.)

ruadorksiggy.gif

Thanks SkyFleet for the awsome siggy!

Man, just had a great match. Lasted about 90 minutes, and had both teams pushed into their base with almost no buildings up. We managed to wipe them and then come back to win it.

Also fully farmed arachna is just stupid. 440 top end damage, over 2 attacks a second... haha. I had riftshards too so was constantly critting for over 1000. Hell, the match went on for so long our devourer had 7k hp because he could afford two behemoth hearts.

A large majority of my FPS communities all hopped onto the HoN bandwagon when they got their beta invites. I personally don't like the game.

If anyone here on Tip.It cares about competitive gaming at all, go to these sites:

e-rev.tv

pwnage.tv

These sites have had previous broadcasted matches of HoN (and L4D, CSS, CoD4...etc) and do live broadcasts of certain matches from certain leagues. It shows you how good you're not at the game, and how much fun it can be. :P

A large majority of my FPS communities all hopped onto the HoN bandwagon when they got their beta invites. I personally don't like the game.

If anyone here on Tip.It cares about competitive gaming at all, go to these sites:

e-rev.tv

pwnage.tv

These sites have had previous broadcasted matches of HoN (and L4D, CSS, CoD4...etc) and do live broadcasts of certain matches from certain leagues. It shows you how good you're not at the game, and how much fun it can be. :P

Did you give it a bit of a chance? I didn't really like it at first but once I learned what to do it got a lot more fun.

And can't say I really care about competitive gaming at all, haha. It is fun to watch replays now and then though when bored.

Thing is, as I said earlier, it's easy to just walk out of that smoke.

And yeah, arachna is deadly farmed.. but not the hardest carry. I'd say Chronos takes that, or Maliken. Riftshards used to be beautiful on a puppet as well, I one hit a magebane once.

Thing is, as I said earlier, it's easy to just walk out of that smoke.

And yeah, arachna is deadly farmed.. but not the hardest carry. I'd say Chronos takes that, or Maliken. Riftshards used to be beautiful on a puppet as well, I one hit a magebane once.

Yeah I don't really play NH much actually, I had fun with it though.

Maliken I started to play last night and I'm really enjoying it so far. Bit more thought into combat with him due to his mechanics. Haven't gotten a chance to see him real farmed yet though, kept winning matches in under half an hour last night haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a Beta key yesterday, never really played DotA before, the only thing in this 'genre' I've played is a little League of Legends.

Played one game last night, 3 vs 3. I was Slither, had 4/12/13 in the end, which given how I wasn't 100% sure on what I was doing I think isn't too bad, especially considering how squishy Slither is meant to be. (I was bored at work so just browsed the HoN wiki and forums :P).

Overall I think it's a really fun game, I can find myself playing this game a lot and may even preorder it once I get paid on Wednesday :D

If anyone wants to hit me up with a friends invite or something and perhaps help 'teach' me a little more about the game? Would be nice :)

Got a Beta key yesterday, never really played DotA before, the only thing in this 'genre' I've played is a little League of Legends.

Played one game last night, 3 vs 3. I was Slither, had 4/12/13 in the end, which given how I wasn't 100% sure on what I was doing I think isn't too bad, especially considering how squishy Slither is meant to be. (I was bored at work so just browsed the HoN wiki and forums :P).

Overall I think it's a really fun game, I can find myself playing this game a lot and may even preorder it once I get paid on Wednesday :D

If anyone wants to hit me up with a friends invite or something and perhaps help 'teach' me a little more about the game? Would be nice :)

Add Cyrant.

Also I would just stick to 5v5 normal mode matches. Stay away from EM or matches less than 5v5 :P.

Oh man.

I am in goddamned love with the Engineer. First time with him and went 18-2. They were seriously afraid of my solo turret because it, on numerous occasions, just about soloed many of them. I was hiding it in the jungle so they'd be walking and all of the sudden PEWPEWPEWPEWPEW. Guy is just so freaking awesome, such a badass carry.

I was so farmed that by the 35-40 min mark I had:

Riftshards

Power Supply

Savage Mace

Frostwolf Skull

Ghost Marchers

I mean, that is a solid 15k gold or so worth of gear, and I barely touched the jungle. You'd be amazed how well you can farm when your turret takes one spot well and you can do other [cabbage] :D.

Last game I had was pretty good, we managed to win it in only 16 minutes, and I had a positive K/D ratio :o

2 wins/4 losses total now which isn't TOO bad really, and for some reason I much prefer 3 vs 3 games than 5 vs 5. Not exactly sure why guess there's just less going on and easier to keep track of everything.

Heh. Really though you want to try and get into 5v5 normal as soon as you can. Or, at the least, stick normal -- EM is terrible.

So I've been making kids rage about engineer turret because I know how to gear it out and they aren't smart enough to realize a counter (forsaken skeletons, for example, or ophilia with her minions... or anyone else who controls a few "pet" type deals) to the turret that is killed in 5 hits. I really lol'd when panda out of all heroes [bleep]ed about me killing him 1v1, yet I used all of my skills and my ult. If he had been good and flick/stun combo'd me into his ult I would have been dead. After all he can kill pretty much anyone 1v1 in a PUB.

So yeah it's funny. I'm not going to deny that engi could (and probably will) get a tweak, but they made it seem like I was a god or something. Just another carry/semi-carry hero who got farmed...

My friend said it was a new game exactly like WC3... I raged so hard when I started playing and it was some stupid "control only one character" stupidness. I had plans to play this in order to fill the gap in my life until SC2 came out :thumbdown:

hiccup.png