Tree Hunter's Evil Tree Guide [Rewritten]

TreeHunters

Tree Hunter's Evil Tree Guide

Banner2.png

[spoiler=Special Thanks]Thanks to Lyoko for the banner and lumberjack picture (sorry for editing out your magic cape).

I would also like to thank my clan for helping me in my research.

[spoiler=Updates]24.3.09 - Guide was created

25.3.09 - Updated charts

12.4.09 - Added "Locations with Pictures"

13.4.09 - Updated the Experience chart

23.10.09 - Guide rewritten

Table of Contents

1.0. Introduction

2.0. Requirements

3.0. Equipment

4.0. Hints & Locations

5.0. Rewards

6.0. Tips

7.0. FAQ

8.0. Closing

sapling3.png

1.0. Introduction

Evil trees are a Distraction & Diversion that require woodcutting, farming, and firemaking skills. They can appear in one of 26 locations every 2 hours.The types of evil trees are basic, oak, willow, maple, yew, magic, and elder. Evil trees start as saplings, which you can nurture for farming xp. You can talk to a spirit tree to discover when the next sapling will sprout, receive a clue as to where the sapling is located, and be teleported to a grown tree. Once you find the sapling click on it to start nurturing. There are 6 stages to an evil tree, the last being a fully grown tree. Spirit trees will offer to teleport you to the tree. Some locations require a quest to be started or completed.

After the tree is grown, you may begin cutting at the roots. Each root will give you one kindling which can be used to burn the tree for firemaking xp. To track your progress, right-click the tree and select inspect. You will be able to see how much reward you currently have and what the health of the tree is. Even if a tree reaches 0% health, it will not die until at least one player reaches 100% reward. If the tree dies too slowly it will be struck by lightning. Lightning reduces the health to 50%, 25%, then kills it. Once the tree is dead click on it to receive your reward.

You may only interact with two evil trees a day; inspecting does not count. At 0:00 Gmt (midnight) evil trees reset. This means that you are able to cut two more trees. The reset does not stack with any trees you have not cut.

2.0. Requirements

[spoiler= Items]

1 Hatchet

1 Tinderbox

[spoiler= Levels]

Evil trees have requirements very similar to normal trees. Woodcutting for the tree, firemaking for lighting fires, and farming for nurturing.

Newxp.jpg

[spoiler= Quests]

You do not need any quests to fight an evil tree. If you do not like walking to a tree or want sapling information you will have to do some, however.

Grand Tree

Ability to talk to the spirit tree located in the Tree Gnome Stronghold.

Legends Quest

After you start this quest you can teleport to evil trees located in the Kharazi jungle.

Monkey Madness

After you start this quest you can teleport to evil trees located on Ape Atoll.

Mournings End Part 1

After you start this quest you can teleport to evil trees located south of Lleyta.

Path of Glouphrie

Ability to talk to the spirit tree located in the poison swamp.

Regicide

After you complete this quest you can teleport to evil trees located north-east of King Tyras' camp.

Tree Gnome Village

Ability to talk to spirit tree located in the Tree Gnome Village, Grand Exchange, and your farming patch.

3.0. Equipment

[spoiler=] Below are three sets of suggested equipment and inventories. You do not have to use any of this and feel free to mix and match.

Standard Equipment

standard.pngstandard.png

Maximum Xp

Lumberjack.pngScxp.png

Low Level

Low.pnglowxp.png

4.0. Hints & Locations

spirit3.png

Hints with Locations

[hide=]

All hints are listed with the possible locations. This is the fastest way to find a sapling if you know the hint.

By a collection of yew trees

Seer's Village - Flax field

Lumbridge - West; Near the swamp

Close to a dungeon entrance and within a tropical jungle

Brimhaven Dungeon

Ape Atoll - South of the dungeon

Close to a large collection of willow trees

Seers - North of the Elemental Workshop

Draynor - South of the bank

Legends Guild - Near the mine

Gnome Stronghold - West; near Brimstail's Cave

Close to a place called "Draynor"

Draynor - Near the manor

Close to a runecrafting altar

Shilo Village - North; West of nature altar

Edgeville - South of the monastery

Close to a village you call "Seers"

Mcgrubbor's Woods

Seer's Village - Flax field

Close to the home of "Legends"

Legends Guild - North

Legends Guild - South; Near the mine

Close to the town you call "Yanille"

Yanille - North; Near the ivy

Yanille - West

Due west of a town you call "Lumbridge"

Lumbridge - West; Near the swamp

Draynor - Near the manor

In a location with rare trees and ogres nearby

Ooglog - West

Castlewars - South; In the swamp near the fairy ring

In a mine on the outskirts of a city

Falador - West; Past the crumbled wall

Legends Guild - Near the mine

In the lands inhabited by elves

Tyras' Camp - North-east; Past the dense forest

Lleyta - South of the mage trees

North as the crow flies from the market of Ardougne

Mcgrubbor's Woods

Range Guild - Outside the entrance

North as the crow flies from Seers' Village

Seer's Village - North of the Elemental Workshop

Seer's Village - Flax field*

Rellekka - East of POH portal

On the island known as Karamja

Kharazi Jungle - South-eastern section

Brimhaven Dungeon*

Shilo Village - North; Near the nature altar

On the southern coast of a tropical island

Kharazi jungle

Ape Atoll - South of the dungeon

Outside of city you call Varrock

Varrock - North of the palace; Near the wildy ditch

Tolna's Rift (aka Soul's Bane Rift)

To the South of a Gnome Settlement

Gnome Stronghold - South; "Making History" quest start

Yanille - West

[/hide]

Locations with Hints

[hide=]

If you want to find a tree at a specific location this will be what you need to use. All locations are listed with the possible clues under them. There is also a picture of where each location is on the mini-map.

Ape Atoll

[hide=]Atoll.png[/hide]

On the southern coast of a tropical jungle

Brimhaven Dungeon

[hide=]Brimhaven.png[/hide]

Castlewars

[hide=]Castlewars.png[/hide]

Draynor Bank

[hide=]Draynor.png[/hide]

Draynor Manor

[hide=]Manor.png[/hide]

Edgeville

[hide=]Edgeville.png[/hide]

Falador

[hide=]Falador.png[/hide]

Gnome Stronghold

[hide=]Stronghold.png[/hide]

Kharazi Jungle

[hide=]Kharazi.png[/hide]

On the southern coast of a tropical island

King Tyras' Camp

[hide=]Tyras.png[/hide]

Legends Guild Mine

[hide=]Legends.png[/hide]

Lleyta

[hide=]Lleyta.png[/hide]

Lumbridge Swamp

[hide=]Swamp.png[/hide]

Mcgrubbor's Woods

[hide=]Mcgrubbors.png[/hide]

North as the crow flies from the market of Ardounge

Ooglog

[hide=]Ooglog.png[/hide]

Outpost - Making History

[hide=]Outpost.png[/hide]

To the south of a gnome settlement

Ranging Guild

[hide=]Range.png[/hide]

North as the crow flies from the market of Ardounge

Rellakka

[hide=]Rellakka.png[/hide]

North as the crow flies from Seers Village

Seers Bank

[hide=]Seers.png[/hide]

Seers Flax Field

[hide=]Flax.png[/hide]

Shilo Village

[hide=]Nature.png[/hide]

Sorcerer's Tower

[hide=]Tower.png[/hide]

Tolna's Rift

[hide=]Rift.png[/hide]

Outside of a city you call Varrock

Varrock

[hide=]Varrock.png[/hide]

Outside of a city you call Varrock

Yanille - North

[hide=]Yanille.png[/hide]

Yanille - West

[hide=]YanilleW.png[/hide]

To the south of a gnome settlement

[/hide]

5.0. Rewards

dead2.png

[spoiler=Experience]

Farming experience is gained for every stage you nurture it. Woodcutting experience is gained just like when you cut normal trees, you just don't get logs. With a dragon hatchet the speed is similar to willows. Firemaking experience is a one time bonus when you light each side of the tree (8 total).

Newlev.jpg

[spoiler=Items]

Once the tree is dead you may click on it to get your reward. As you have probably guessed, a larger reward percentage gets you a greater amount of rewards.

Coins

Coins.png

No need to explain.

Clue scroll

Clue.png

This is an uncommon reward. All trees gotten from evil trees are level 1.

Logs

Basic.pngOak.pngWillow.pngmaple.pngyew.pngmagic.pngteak.pngmahogany.png

Instead of getting logs as you cut, you get them noted at the end. You will receive the same type of log as the tree. Elder trees give teak, mahogany, yew, or magic logs.

Seeds

Acorn.png

You may receive a normal tree seed. These include acorn-magic.

Bird Nests

Ring_Nest.pngSeed_Nest.pngEgg_Nest.png

These birds nests can give jewelry, tree seeds, fruit tree seeds, god bird eggs, and raven eggs.

Key Halves

Loop.pngTooth.png

Another uncommon reward is the key half. If you gain both halves (impossible from the same tree) you can put them together and use it on the crystal chest in taverly.

[spoiler=Leprechaun Magic]

Part of your reward includes special magic banking powers from the leprechaun. Depending on the tree and your reward percentage you will receive a limited amount of this magic. This special power enables you to continue cutting any normal tree (Basic-Magic) even when your inventory is full. All logs gained will be sent directly to your bank. Logging out will stop the timer so you will not lose any magic. Below is a chart with the maximum possible time from each evil tree.

Logs.png

Normal ------------------------ 6 minutes

Oak ---------------------------- 10 minutes

Willow ------------------------ 14 minutes

Maple ------------------------- 18 minutes

Yew ---------------------------- 22 minutes

Magic -------------------------- 26 minutes

Elder --------------------------- 30 minutes

6.0. Tips

[spoiler=General]

Get there early and bring extra kindling. As soon as a root is taken down light all fires possible.

An evil tree will not die until 2-5 players get 100% reward. Do not worry so much if a tree is swarmed.

Check the health before cutting a tree.

[spoiler=Roots]

Unless it is the first root, do not spend your time cutting it. Cut the trunk until you think a root will be taken down soon, then switch.

Switch to whichever spot just had a root taken down. This will prevent you from getting stunned.

Roots are not good xp and they do not give reward.

The more players that cut a root, the faster it will be taken down.

[spoiler=Reward]

Logging out after collecting your reward does not affect the magic banking time

You do not have to finish a tree to collect your reward. You can leave at any time and talk to a leprechaun to get it.

Fill your extra inventory spaces with logs so you can get the most from your magic.

7.0. FAQ

[hide=]

Question: Do roots heal the tree?

Answer: No.

Question: Does lighting fires kill the tree faster?

Answer: Yes, fires do damage to the tree over time.

Question: What does lightning do?

Answer: When a tree dies too slowly it is struck by lightning. The first takes the health to 50%, the second 25%, the third kills it.

Question: Does magic banking time stack?

Answer: No, if you kill a tree with any time left it will be replaced.

[/hide]

8.0. Closing

[hide=]Thanks for reading my guide, I hope it was helpful to you. If you need further help you can join the clan chat "Tree Hunters". The clan specializes in finding trees for you and explaining how they work. You can read more about us by using this forum qfc: 75-76-704-59559437

If you find this event fun, you might also enjoy shooting stars. They are a Distraction & Diversion very similar to evil trees and give good rewards. To view a guide for them click here. [/hide]

21.jpg

Didn't know that the machete made cutting roots better.

The only thing that really needs work is the organization, mainly in 4.0. Great guide though, gonna have to start doing evil trees more often.

EDIT: The trees don't require any quests to teleport to them, I believe, either. That's why pures are getting rune gloves at 13 def and addy at 1 def now -- no req to use the tree to ape atoll.

Oh yeah, and the charts could use a picture from Excel - trust me, it doesn't take long :P

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

Great guide, some things I didn't know in there (fire gloves and ring... magic time cut in half if claimed to a leprechaun...).

What would be great for your guide : add pictures of where the evil trees spawn on the map.

Just on a side note, what I usually do when I receive my reward and get my magic bonus time : teleport to lumbridge and cutting the 4 yews west of the castle.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

I have tried to approach mapping the spawn locations many different ways. The area covered is simply too big. Unless you want me to take an indivual shot of each location I won't be able to do it. It would take a lot of time and space to do that.

21.jpg

The guide looks great, its awesome. It showcases everything you need to know about Evil Trees. I could never do something like this. And thanks for putting me in credits. I've hunted with Tree Hunters since Evil Trees came out, and it's really made tree hunting so much easier and so much fun!

Oh btw, will you be putting in more pictures?

C",) Ladylee06 C",)

~ 89 Woodcutting

~ 70 Firemaking

~ 99 Farming

\' A PROUD TREE HUNTER \'

The trees don't require any quests to teleport to them, I believe, either. That's why pures are getting rune gloves at 13 def and addy at 1 def now -- no req to use the tree to ape atoll.

Actually there are some locations that require quests, and unless you've done them, the Spirit trees won't teleport you there. So all the quests mentioned in this guide are certainly gonna make your Evil Tree hunting experience a lot

They will give you a notice whenever you can't go to the location, I've done all the quests so I dunno what they say exactly.

C",) Ladylee06 C",)

~ 89 Woodcutting

~ 70 Firemaking

~ 99 Farming

\' A PROUD TREE HUNTER \'

• 2 weeks later...

If you talk to the spirit tree near the Grand Exchange it will give you info on the evil tree. If there is a sapling and you ask about it you will recieve a hint as to where it is.

Actually, any spirit tree will work, but the Grand Exchange one is the closest to a teleport.

cwsiggyfinal.jpg

Sig by me, in MS paint, but I'm still working on it.

Suggestions appreciated

This guide is as concise as a gourmet's handbook with the guidelines of "Pick up fork, stab food, insert into your mouth, then chew".

Looking good, moved to General Guides :)

-Necromagus, Tip.It Mod.

So is there any way to narrow it down or do you just have to try all the locations?

Also, I've heard that as it gets closer to being fully grown, the spirit tree offers more hints and more obvious ones, is this true?

Brainymidget.png

multimultiza9.gif

Yes, some locations are listed more than once. There are 17 hints and 26 locations. An example is the clue 'Close to a place called "Draynor"' and 'Due west of a town you call "Lumbridge"'. Obviously a tree near Draynor Manor would be under the hint 'Close to a place called "Draynor"' , Draynor is west of Lumbridge though so it could also be under the hint 'Due west of a town you call "Lumbridge"'.

21.jpg

Are you sure that lumberjack works with these? I remember taking it on and off and not noticing a difference...but then again I only tried it once.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20