45 Albums that I think you should own

Range_This11

Well after a long hiatus, 1_man_army decided that I could toss the next list out there. I apologize for it being a little late, but working at a fireworks store during the week of the 4th really kills your free time.

So...

Here's my list in no particular order aside from #1. Feel free to criticize the hell out of it, but try not to be too harsh. I tried my best.

1) dark_side.jpg

Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd

When people name Pink Floyd albums in a Best of list, many people shy away from Dark Side of the Moon because it may be too cliché or because they want to seem knowledgeable in other albums by Pink Floyd. Well, Im here to tell you that when it comes to Pink Floyd, it doesnt get much better than a trip to the Dark Side of the Moon. This album is so delicately crafted by Roger Waters philosophical lyrics, David Gilmours simplistic, yet amazing guitar work, and Rick Wrights subtle organ/piano parts that pull a heavy load of this album. All the while Nick Mason is thumping a heartbeat-esque bass drum line throughout. This album is an amazing listen that can take you places in a dark room, but can still retain the musicality to be an amazing listen no matter what your mental status.

2) De-Loused+In+The+Comatorium.jpeg

De-Loused in the Comatorium by The Mars Volta

Ah, The Mars Volta. One of the few bands to successfully fuse punk energy and haphazardness with trippy, progressive musicality. This gem of an album is the masterwork of one Rick Rubin. He was the silent force that drove this album to its greatness. If you dont know the drug-laden tale of Cerapin Taxt, youre in for an interesting hour listening to this album.

3) AshRaTemple.jpg

Ash Ra Tempel by Ash Ra Tempel

There isnt much to say about Ash Ra Tempel other than either you get it, or you dont. When I first picked this album up at 15, I nearly turned it off as soon as it started. Within the last couple years though, Ive started to understand the gravity of writing something as stunning as this. This is Krautrock at its finest.

4) 50509541135.jpg

I Sincerely Apologise for All the Trouble Ive Caused by David Ford

After seeing his performance of I Dont Care What You Call Me on Last Call with Carson Daly 4 years ago, I immediately fell in love with this artist. His first album I Sincerely Apologise for All the Trouble Ive Caused was recorded without a major label and was recorded in multiple home basements of his friends that were kind enough to take him in for a week or a month. His follow up, Songs for the Road features the amazingly poetic title track that is so filled with raw emotion that even the hardest soul just might tear up. At the same time, the highly political anthem State of the Union is just as powerful from the opposite end of the spectrum.

5) lynyrd_skynyrd_pronounced_leh_nerd_skin_nerd.jpg

(pronounced 'l?h-'nérd 'skin-'nérd) by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Possibly the greatest southern rock band of all time, Lynyrd Skynyrds powerful somewhat self-titled debut trumps any other in the genre. Nothing is better than Skynyrds dueling guitars in the two ballads, Free Bird and Tuesdays Gone.

6) pgabriel.jpg

Up by Peter Gabriel

I really dont know what it is about this album that I like so much. I dont think that I normally would have chosen this album for this list, but every time it comes on, I cant help but appreciate the bizarre writing and themes of Peter Gabriel. Of course, I shouldnt forget to mention his amazing voice as well.

7) 61DQSKADK1L.jpg

Live at Pompeii by Pink Floyd

Essentially the albums Meddle and Saucerful of Secrets, this concert movie filmed in Pompeii is Pink Floyds highest point in my opinion. Less than 2 years prior to their groundbreaking Dark Side recording, Live at Pompeii offers an insight to the fusion of the early Pink Floyd with the new space-age David Gilmour-led Pink Floyd. Watch this film!

8) 40%2BOz%2BTo%2BFreedom.jpg

40 oz. to Freedom by Sublime

Twenty two great songs played by a band that uses the biggest potpourri of genres Ive ever seen. This album is one that you can throw on and just simply chill in your basement.

9) 1240664251_bud.jpg

Swingin New Big Band by Buddy Rich

Buddy Rich, the greatest drummer of all time, debuts his famous West Side Story Medley on this album (which also contains the very famous drum solo that shares the same name). If you have a chance, watch his famous concert Buddy Rich: At the Top.

10) Enigmatic_Ocean.jpg

Enigmatic Ocean by Jean Luc Ponty

This is possibly my favorite Jazz-Fusion album. Jean Luc Ponty, a violin virtuoso at age 17, snubbed his nose at the Paris Symphony to play jazz. After coming to America in the late 60s, it only took him one album to reach the top 40 with his album Enigmatic Ocean. Ponty was also the first person to integrate (and very successfully I might add) an electric violin into the jazz fusion genre. Enigmatic Ocean is easily my favorite jazz fusion album.

11) A.perfect.circle.mer.de.noms.jpeg

Mer De Noms by A Perfect Circle

Just when you thought that Maynard Keenan didnt need another channel to funnel his cynical creativeness, A Perfect Circle asks him to join up as the vocalist. Originally the band was designed to have a female vocalist, but Maynards wailing tenor sufficed. Mer De Noms is a great album that is a good change up when youre used to hearing Danny, Justin, and Adam blasting away with Maynard.

12) albumcoverMahavishnuOrchestra-TheInnerMountingFlame.jpg

The Inner Mounting Flame by Mahavishnu Orchestra

If youve never listened to Jazz-Fusion before in your life, youre in for a treat with the few albums in that genre that are on my list. Mahavishnu Orchestra has some of the most talented musicians of the era playing on this debut album. Its a great listen.

13) ashes%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bwake.jpg

Ashes of the Wake by Lamb of God

In my opinion, Ashes of the Wake is Lamb of Gods defining album. Some hardcore Lamb of God fans would disagree, but I really believe that the guitars on this album are perfectly written. Each note is clear and crisp and most important of all, the right note. Toss in Randys unique lyrical style and Chris Adlers tasteful metal drumming and you have one of the best metal albums ever written.

14) verneer.jpg

Veneer by Jose Gonzalez

This debut album by the Swedish artist Jose Gonzalez is stunning in so many different ways. Similar to Sam Beams quiet beautiful poetry, Gonzalez addresses simple human issues in his songs. This is the kind of album I could put on any day and enjoy it every single time.

15) the_number_of_the_beast2.jpg

The Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden

Bruce [bleep]insons howling vocals soaring across some of the best metal riffs out of the 80s makes this a necessary album to anyones metal collection.

16) hootie__the_blowfish_-_cracked_rear_view.jpg

Cracked Rear View by Hootie and the Blowfish

This is one of my favorites from my childhood. My Mom had this cassette and would play it on her days off of work when I was home from school for the summer. Darius Ruckers voice, a mixture of power and emotion, is absolutely perfect for this band. Hopefully in the next few years well see Hootie and the Blowfish reunite after the culmination of Ruckers country career although I highly doubt they could ever produce something as amazing as Cracked Rear View again.

17) BluesTravelerfour.jpg

Four by Blues Traveler

This is another one of the gems from my childhood. My sister got this cassette for her birthday in 1995 (album released in 94) and every road trip we ever took, this was played. Classic American jam blues band hooks and the wailing vocals and harmonica of John Popper is why I can throw this album on anytime and still enjoy it.

18) album-relationship-of-command.jpg

Relationship of Command by At The Drive-In

There are bands out there right now trying to duplicate the sound that At The Drive-In achieved years ago. These guys were about as off the wall as a band could get. Even though the lyrics mean absolutely nothing, Cedric still sings them like hes screaming a blatant message at you.

19) The+Dave+Brubeck+Quartet+-+Time+Out+(Front).jpg

Time Out by The Dave Brubeck Quartet

Recorded in 1959, this 40 minute LP features a dizzying array of odd-time signatures. Blue Rondo A La Turk in 9/8, Take Five in 5/4, and Everybodys Jumpin and Pick Up Sticks both in 6/4. Time Out is a staple in any jazz collection and honestly, who doesnt love the drumming on these tracks by one of the greatest drummers of all time, Joe Morello.

20) MUDD136.JPG

Songs For Silverman by Ben Folds

This album was introduced to me through my sister during my Freshman year of high school. Immediately I fell in love with Ben Folds voice and sarcastic lyrics. His solo work trumps anything that Ben Folds Five ever made and I truly believe that this is where his peak lies.

21) album_Bob-Dylan-The-Times-They-Are-AChangin.jpg

The Times They Are A-Changin by Bob Dylan

What hasnt already been said about Bob Dylan that needs to be said again? I dont need to tell you how powerful this album was for the 60s. It speaks for itself.

22) theCreekDrankTheCradleL.gif

Creek Drank the Cradle by Iron and Wine

Possibly the best songwriter of all time, Samuel Beam and his soft soothing voice and the old record effect put on his voice is really quite genius. Songs about life, love, and the South, this album ranks near the top of my list and always will. The album reaches its peak during the very symbolic song Upward over the Mountain.

23) img3_5.jpg

Strays by Janes Addiction

Janes Addiction: The best band to release only three albums. I dont care if its not the original line-up or that they were still bickering while recording this. This album is absolutely amazing. Its a heavy, madness filled album where Perry Farrell was free to scream away his lyrics over a churning instrumental section. This album reeks of sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

24) led_zeppelin_i.jpg

Led Zeppelin by Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin was one of the defining bands of the 1970s (I know this album was written in 69). Even though it got unfavorable reviews from Rolling Stone when it debuted, they accurately gave it the five stars it deserved 25 years later. My favorite track Good Times Bad Times features a great example of how powerful Bonhams drumming really is. His right foot was faster than most peoples are now. The only difference is now we have wonderful chain driven kick pedals. Bonham? He used a Ludwig Speed King that came standard with every kit sold. One of the best drummers of all time gives it his best on this album.

25) milesdavis.jpg

[bleep]es Brew by Miles Davis

In one of the greatest F-Yous to mainstream Jazz, Miles Davis pulls a 180 on his fans and puts out one of the best albums of the 1970s and in the entire history of Jazz. Experimental to its very core, [bleep]es Brew features some of the most ridiculous and amazing songs Davis composed.

26) dio-holy-diver.jpg

Holy Diver by Dio

Bad. [wagon]. Rock. Nuff said.

27) boston1.jpg

Boston by Boston

This is just a classic guitar album. Albums like this dont come around anymore.

28) Aenima.jpg

Ænima by Tool (You all knew Tool would be on here, it was just a matter of time)

I was tempted to replace this album with their 1993 LP debut Undertow, but I decided against it. Tool took such a huge step in a direction no band has ever gone before. Taking a stab in the dark with their new direction, Tool hits absolute gold with Ænima. Nothing in 1996 could even hold a candle to this album. Just as I dont believe that Rages Self-Titled album sounds dated, I also dont believe that this album sounds anything like things that were being released in 1996.

29) ratm.jpg

Rage Against the Machine by Rage Against the Machine

As Tom Morello said, The Rage catalog doesnt feel dated. Throw this on and it doesnt sound like 1992, it simply sounds like pure anger pouring out of each members instrument. Angsty teenagers like me eat this kind of music right up. I dont think Rage will ever lose its potency among the young especially with the songs off Self-Titled still playing on the radio.

30) PTFearOf.jpg

Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree

Hailed by many as this generations Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree stunned me with this album. The stark contrasts in theme, dynamics, and musicality in each song are what really make this album an amazing progressive album.

31) kings_of_convenience-riot_on_an_empty_street.png

Riot on an Empty Street by Kings of Convenience

But I cant stop listening to the sound of two soft voices, blended in perfection. A lyric from the song Homesick describes perfectly what I think of the Norwegian duo Kings of Convenience. This is another soft album to put on during a dreary day. You wont be disappointed.

32) 1.jpg

Blow by Blow by Jeff Beck

As a young kid, my Dad used to work second shift so he would be home during the days before I was old enough to attend school. He would play drums to this album almost every day. It wasnt until a couple years ago that I picked this album up by chance. I still remember all the hooks that Jeff Beck masterfully crafted 16 years later. Of course, the 9/8 standard Scatterbrain still challenges me a little when I play it on my kit.

33) 2112awk.jpg

2112 by Rush

If by this point in the list you havent figured out I love albums with amazing drumming on it, youve got to be a little slow. Neil Peart not only plays some of the most intricate beats known to man, but he also wrote all the lyrics for this half suite, half rock album.

34) pet_sounds.jpg

Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys

Nothing really needs to be said when it comes to The Beach Boys. They had all the talent in the world and they had one of the best writers of the time, Brian Wilson. Along with that, these guys had some of the greatest voices ever to record music. No computer was there to cover them up. Listen to them without a band backing them, its absolutely awesome. They have some serious pipes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEWcS9f4Ewo

35) bon-iver-for-emma-forever-ago.jpg

For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver

This albumI dont really know where to begin. Ive become casual acquaintances with Justin Vernon through one of his high school friends who was my teacher in high school. It also helps that he lives 30 minutes from me. Hes an awesome guy to just sit and talk with and he can write amazing music like this too. If youre discouraged by his falsetto voice off the bat, give it at least 3 times through the album before you give it up for good. Itll probably grow on you.

36) b000002p5y01_sclzzzzzzz_.jpg

Are You Experienced by The Jimi Hendrix Experience

All the tracks on this album are just amazing. Hendrixs awesome guitar work on this album is the reason Rolling Stone rates him as the best guitarist in the history of rock and roll. Just like Dark Side of the Moon this album can be appreciated in a drug laden trance or simply for the amazing musicality.

37) album_Grand-Funk-Railroad-Grand-Funk.jpg

Grand Funk by Grand Funk Railroad

This album is all about the guitar and bass. Funk rock at its finest. Grand Funk Railroad has always been a huge favorite of mine.

38) Whats-The-Story-Morning-Glory.jpg

(Whats the Story) Morning Glory? By Oasis

Honestly, who doesnt love the constantly feuding members of Oasis? In 1995 they recorded one of the best albums in British music history. Im not much of a pop fan, but theres just something about Oasis that makes their music so loveable.

39) wish-you-were-here.jpg

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd

A dedication to acid casualty Syd Barrett, this album is the only album that could have followed Dark Side. This is the turning point to where David Gilmour took a slightly less lead role and Roger Waters emerged as the bands new leader. This is also the last album I will listen to by Pink Floyd.

40) Queens_of_the_Stone_Age_Songs_for_the_Deaf.jpg

Songs for the Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age

Before seeing Queens live (Supporting Rage Against the Machine in 2007), I never really listened to anything but their singles. I decided to check them out a little deeper considering their amazing live show. Queens of the Stone Age bleeds sex and rock and roll and Songs for the Deaf is the best example that I can give you.

41) Sheperds-dog.jpg

The Shepherds Dog by Iron and Wine

I wanted to put two Iron and Wine albums on here to show how Sam Beam has re-invented himself. From the soft songs of Creek Drank the Cradle, Beam turns in a whole different direction with Shepherds Dog. The lyrics are even more symbolic and now require much more work to acquire their meaning. Along with deeper lyrics, Beam uses a completely different style of music on this album than his typical soft acoustic recordings. Both styles of Sam Beam have elements in them which make them unique, but still very likeable.

42) The+Battle+Of+Los+Angeles+tapa.jpg

Battle of Los Angeles by Rage Against the Machine

Battle of Los Angeles seems as if it should be the follow up to Self-Titled, but instead it comes 7 years later. I think that Rage thought about this album a little more instead of simply letting their instruments do the talking like they did in 92. And nothing beats the power of Born of a Broken Man, my favorite Rage song.

43) electro-shock.jpg

Electro-Shock Blues by The Eels

This album is about as dark as it can get for The Eels. A reaction to Es sisters suicide and his mothers terminal lung cancer, Electro-Shock Blues is an album that is simply a channel for Es emotion during this hard time in his life and it shows how awesome a writer he really is.

44) pic_cover_spectrum_300w.jpg

Spectrum by Billy Cobham

This is the debut solo-album of one of the greatest drummers to ever touch a kit. His beats have influenced countless numbers of drummers in todays music. His signature no-lead hand helped him play not only dizzying fills but also allowed him to play both hi-hat and ride cymbal/china cymbal at the same time. Those combinations created beats that no one had heard before. Not only is the drumming amazing, but the backing band plays just the right amount of beautiful jazz fusion.

45) Tool-lateralus-album.jpg

Lateralus by Tool

Start the list with a favorite, end it with one too. Known for long hiatuses, Tool takes 5 years between Ænima and its next masterpiece, Lateralus. I dont really know where to start with this album. There are so many hidden meanings layered deep within the songs. I highly doubt that anyone will ever be able to decipher the true meaning of this album. Not to mention that Danny Careys beats on this album easily puts it in my top 3 drumming albums of all time.

Well, I guess that's my list. Hopefully you enjoyed it and maybe got a few albums you've never heard before. You all should listen to more jazz-fusion!

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Good to see this running again. Congratulations on a great job.

I'm going to check out Ash Ra Tempel and David Ford. It's nice to see you put Cracked Rear View, too. I was so close to putting that on mine (unless I did, but I don't think so), but something else edged it out. "Time" is one of the songs I always sing when I'm walking home drunk.

I'm really not into jazz at all, but I suppose that's what you get when you let a drummer make a list of his favourite albums.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Nice list, a few of these would be on mine as well.

:lol:

I havent heard of most of it though.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

No album cover for Lateralus?

It shows up for me :|

Anyone else not seeing it?

And yes, Lateralus, that IS what happens when you let a drummer make a list haha.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

No album cover for Lateralus?

It shows up for me :|

Anyone else not seeing it?

And yes, Lateralus, that IS what happens when you let a drummer make a list haha.

Not showing up for me either.

Great job with the list, didn't think you'd like Jose Gonzalez.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I agree so strongly with you about Iron & Wine, Bon Iver, David Ford and many others on this that I'm going to have to check out some of this other stuff. Really good list man.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Great job with the list, didn't think you'd like Jose Gonzalez.

Funny since I've had his lyrics in my signature for about 4 months ;)

And thanks for the kind words Assassin :)

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

Great list, it has a lot of music on it that I own or listen to frequently. I only didn't recognize one or two albums. Great job.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

That's a pretty cool list you've got there. :) I'm going to check out David Ford, your description is interesting and so is the album cover.

Can't say I agree on Dark Side of the Moon though (sorry, I had to say that thanks to your provoking comment. :P ), it sounds so thought trough, and overal suffers from a lack of emotion. There are couple of great tracks on it though, but song like Money really gets gets me out of the record. :)

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

I only put it at #1 because I'm just a huge Floyd fan and my Dad was as well. There's a documentary about the making of the album. Gives a little insight into how it was made and the deeper meaning behind it. I'd recommend it if you've got absolutely nothing to do (since you probably want nothing to do with the Floyd!) haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zbq47vQHfo

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

Oh, I thought you said you put it on one because there was no better pink floyd album out there. :P I know the documentary, I've got it on DVD. :)

21o4pav.jpg

The only one I think is better is their Live at Pompeii film/album.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

Yea, the Pompeii thing is really great. I love A Saucerful of Secrets and Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun there. :thumbup:

21o4pav.jpg

Interesting list, far more eclectic than I was expecting. There are a few albums that I think I'll have a look out for on there.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)