The Music and Movies Board - A Guide

insane

This board was created to "expand" offtopic, so to speak. We'd love to see more posts in the offtopic area, so this board hopefully will encourage more posting!

So, we would love it if threads talking about music and movies in particular (specifics) were started :) this will create more activity in the OT forums ;)

1. What movie to rent?

2. What cd to buy?

3. What did you think about such-and-such a movie?

4. How do you find these lyrics?

5. Which guitar should I buy?

Are all great topic ideas! (mind you, I don't make it sound very interesting, but that's up to you to change! ;)) The odd "which is your favourite guitar player" is alright, but these kinds of posts are getting quite redundant so let's keep it specific, to keep the variety!

So specifics are good, generalities are okay, but keep them minimal :)... is the basic rule here.

summerpngwy6.jpg

• 9 months later...

We all started this forum, with the idea of making this a top-class forum. One that would do justice to the arts. But after more than a year this forum has become nothing more than a fast-food place, providing junk, we had the thought of opening a five star restaurant, but it has become nothing more than a fast-food place. With no attention being paid to quality, in content and looks. Instead it we are having short topics, with a low quality rate, providing short satisfaction and discussion, so we can open a new crap topic about the same subject a week later. I want this to change, and IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m begging you people to read trough this topic, give your opinions on it, and make the forum change again. Because we need everybody make this forum shine like we wanted it to shine.

For some (read 9 out of 10) users on this forum it seems to be very hard to open a decent topic. Especially when it comes down to (new) bands and (new) movies; weÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢re having one line OPÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s, they donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t give any information, and most of the time involve nothing more than ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅJust leave a message behindÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

what a waste of time, we all know that people on the internet are lazy, no one will heed your advice and post like a "professional". just remember alot of the people making these posts are around 13 years old and will not do what u tell them, stop having high expectations, it is the internet after all.

111yr4.jpg

what a waste of time, we all know that people on the internet are lazy, no one will heed your advice and post like a "professional". just remember alot of the people making these posts are around 13 years old and will not do what u tell them, stop having high expectations, it is the internet after all.

So just because it is the internet we can't make this a good forum? I don't get that. I'm not lazy, and there are a a lot of others on this forum who aren't lazy either, writing three page long replies about the existance of God. When the forum opened everybody had the idea of making this a good forum, even the younger users. But nothing has become of it. And I want that to change.

21o4pav.jpg

This is essentially why I don't make topics. I like to put in some effort, but when no one really gives a damn, what's the point?

Sorry Daan, but ford_rule pretty much nailed it. There's people around that do it as a matter of normality but the majority simply don't care.

Its a great post Daan but you are preaching to the converted. The people that are going to take this information in are the ones already thinking before posting. The people who do post things like "ne1 seen the bechwarmers, reply here lolz!!!12" will continue to do so. Perhaps we need some help from the moderators to enfore proper posting standards and lock these wastes of time forcing people to actually put something informative into their fist post. If the entire point of a topic is to get other peoples opinions on a movie/band youve seen why shouldnt you post your own?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Yea, maybe I'm naive. But I just wanted to try it once more, as I think it is important.

Dusqi had a pretty good idea of the mods like, checking topics before they get posted. It shouldn't be much work, as there aren't that much topics opened a day...Don't know if it is possible though. And of course we aren't the ones going over such decisions.

21o4pav.jpg

Its a great post Daan but you are preaching to the converted.

Yep, I quickly skimmed it, and, after having been on the AS fora for 4 years, I still notice how 90% of the newbies don't ever read the introducing stickies and still ask the dumbest [cabbage].

The only people who read these things are the people that won't create useless spam. I believe in learning by doing and teaching by doing as well. So the elite of this forum should set the example, and make threads a good read, backed up with reason and wit and try to enhance this forum's quality.

Oh, I wouldn't mind a restriction of the current amount of smileys either. Who ever uses :boohoo: or :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: in a meaningful way?

[/whine]

Apart from this little rant of mine, I appreciate the effort you put in this, but it's a tragic vicious circle.

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

Shall we start by renaming the forum 'Films and Music'. I dunno why american terms have over ridden English.

And no lol why do you always want to get stuff from John Lewis. Its over ̣̉300 more then than what i paid.

John Lewis is a great, great shop.

a few things to say:

1. great post daan, but like a few others have said, its probably hopeless. the people making those topics are probably not even going to read this topic, because they just dont care.

2. what are the exact rules on bumping? seems like different mods say different things, and i would just like it clarified (im going to go see what the rules say and edit it back in here)

3. while there is a lot of crappy topics on this forum, i dont think its that bad. there are also some good topics on here. the movie tournaments are fun (even though the participation level is a little low), and i check the "movies you last saw" topic everytime i get on the computer.

the only resolution to the problem that i can see is something from the mod and admin side, although i have no idea what that could be.

MPC: that was a good topic, directors dont get as much attention as they should. i dont remember the actor part, did you edit that in later? i think we already have a favourite actor topic...

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Good post :)

I'll admit, I was ignorant on these forums before, and I'm sure you all have been annoyed by me at one point :oops:

Anyways, good post once again, gave me some good tips on how to make myself look more mature/respectful on the M&M forum.

2. what are the exact rules on bumping? seems like different mods say different things, and i would just like it clarified (im going to go see what the rules say and edit it back in here)

3. while there is a lot of crappy topics on this forum, i dont think its that bad. there are also some good topics on here. the movie tournaments are fun (even though the participation level is a little low), and i check the "movies you last saw" topic everytime i get on the computer.

I don't know the rules exactly. But I always thought of as two months no reply, then it's getting too old to bump. So I thought I'd put that in, most topics which are older and get bumped then get locked as well..Atleast, I always got that impression (not specifically on the M&M forum)

Yea, there are good topics, but there are more bad topics than good topics. And this is mainly about givin some interest in what you open a topic for. Make a little bit of effort.

21o4pav.jpg

Yea, maybe I'm naive. But I just wanted to try it once more, as I think it is important.

Yes, this is important. Here we have someone who really cares about the quality of what we do. Personally I do really think it'll ever happen, but if we could get a few more people to take interest in Music and Movies, then maybe.

Thanks for taking your own time to do that. =D>

Guest XplsvBam

Now, these are 10 topics, all on the first page of the Music & Movies forum, and they are all about introducing something, or wanting opinions, but ALL of them are crap. Not one of them provide links to more information about the band/movie, none of them give band member or cast information, none of them give style or genre indications, none of them give history of the band or director, none of them give links to audio-samples or movie trailers, none of them have pictures adding up to quality of the topic and none of them go further than four lines.

The reason why they are like that is because you are more likely to get replys from people who are already interested rather then someone who isn't.

Like Nightwish for example. I hanv't even looked at the topic because I'm not interested.

You may argue that explaining something is a good way for discussion but it really isn't. Explaining something is a good way to advertise, which is againts the rules.

Best discussions I've ever had always start out like (i.e.) "Is massachutes below or above connecticut?" Then all of a sudden you have a full blown discussion about geography. Now if you ask that question to someone who isn't interested in discussing geography they probably wont know the answer anyways.

All in all its just a good idea to be as direct as possible especially when trying to strike up a good meaningfull discussion, you can't force these things.

For example. This topic is stupid.

The reason why they are like that is because you are more likely to get replys from people who are already interested rather then someone who isn't.

Like Nightwish for example. I hanv't even looked at the topic because I'm not interested.

So you aren't interested in learning about new music? Okay, some of us are.

You may argue that explaining something is a good way for discussion but it really isn't. Explaining something is a good way to advertise, which is againts the rules.

Ugh, this statement is so loaded it makes me sick. Explaining stuff is also known as 'teaching' people about a new band, or maybe a movie that just came out. It's not an advertisement, and it is in no ways against the rules. I would love to see how many moderators and admins disagreed with you.

All in all its just a good idea to be as direct as possible especially when trying to strike up a good meaningfull discussion

Yes, but saying "OMG I love EMINIEM!" does not strike up any conversation except someone else saying, "ME TOO OMG!!!!". And even if it does the conversation is not a good one, I guarantee.

For example. My post is stupid.

There you go, fixed it for ya. :wink:

Ghost: I am prejudice towards ignorance, so that would explain why I appear to be so.

Agreed with this post (and MPC's post).

However, like you said, you are just kind of preaching to the converted. Maybe a few people might think "hey, I should post smart now!" but... I doubt that'll happen.

I generaly like to try and start up a topic nice and big, put my thoughts into the matter and see where it goes. However, every one of my "big" topics have hardly any replies :cry: (*looks at his AoC post and MMORPG reviews post ><).

• 1 month later...