Your Favorite Directors, why?

MyPurpleCrayon

directors dont get as much attention as they should.

Who is your favorite director? What is so special about that specific director? And what movies do they direct so we can check out their stuff?

Quentin Tarantino

First of all, this guy is a very creepy man. I don't think I have ever known of anyone who likes blood, death, and the F word as much as him. He is a movie genius though! I have never seen a movie with better camera angles than his. He has a very distinct style too. He likes to tell the stories out of order, like the end at the beginning, and then go back and tell how it got there. Or even go to the end right away, then to the beginning, then skip to a different storyline and go to that end.... it's always really confusing, but still awesome! Man, I love this guy. Some movies that he directs are:

Reservoir Dogs

Kill Bill, Volume 1.

Kill Bill, Volume 2.

Pulp Fiction

Another really cool thing about Tarantino is that he knows a whole lot about music, and he really selects good and appropriate music to go into his movies. He has some of the best soundtracks ever.

M. Night Shyamalan

Man, he is awesome. His movies make you think soooo much, and they leave you wondering about life... kinda. He has a very mysterious different perspective on everything, and he comes up with ideas no one would ever think of. You can just tell that so much thought goes into the movies he directs/writes, that it's insane. And sometimes after you watch the movies you wonder if he is insane! Movies by M. Night:

The Sixth Sense

Signs

Unbreakable

The Village

Coming to theaters soon... Lady in the Water

David Fencher

Ahhh brilliant! Honestly, you have to see his movie to actually understand what he is capable of. He messes with your mind! And it's creepy, and awesome at the same time. Watch all three of these movies, right now.

Seven

Fight Club (I'm sure most of you have seen this)

The Game

Well, these are two of my favorites. Do you guys have any preferences like me? :P

Ghost: I am prejudice towards ignorance, so that would explain why I appear to be so.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim Burton....

Edward Scissorhands! Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! Nightmare Before Christmas!

Those are all very awesome movies, and Tim Burton is a very creepy man. But he is indeed a great director.

Ghost: I am prejudice towards ignorance, so that would explain why I appear to be so.

Uwe Boll.

Joking, joking. Probaly Peter Jackson, although I do like Quentin Tarantino as well (liked the kill bills/pulp fiction). :)

Quentin Tarantino

First of all, this guy is a very creepy man. I don't think I have ever known of anyone who likes blood, death, and the F word as much as him. He is a movie genius though! I have never seen a movie with better camera angles than his. He has a very distinct style too. He likes to tell the stories out of order, like the end at the beginning, and then go back and tell how it got there. Or even go to the end right away, then to the beginning, then skip to a different storyline and go to that end.... it's always really confusing, but still awesome! Man, I love this guy. Some movies that he directs are:

Reservoir Dogs

Kill Bill, Volume 1.

Kill Bill, Volume 2.

Pulp Fiction

Another really cool thing about Tarantino is that he knows a whole lot about music, and he really selects good and appropriate music to go into his movies. He has some of the best soundtracks ever.

I just love Quentin, the best one so far! He is just amazing!

Even when he is a Invited Director, like in Sin Cities, he does a really great job. I've watched all of his movies, and I have all the soundtracks xD

komododabst3cn.png

Hm something like:

Stanley Kubrick (Dr. Strangelove, 2001: ASO, A Clockwork Orange)

Akira Kurosawa (Seven Samurai, Rasḫ̫̉̉mon, Sanjuro, Ran)

Fedrico Fellini (Otto e Mezzo, La Strada, I Vitteloni)

Andrej Tarkovsky (Stalker, Andrei Rublev, Solyaris, Nostalgia)

Jean-Luc Godard (Le MÃÆÃâÃâépris, Pierrot le fou, Alphaville, Bande ÃÆÃâÃâà Part (Got it, QT with his Band a Part movies ;), ÃÆÃââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ bout de souffle,

David Lynch (Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, The Elephant Man, Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr.)

Yasujiro Ozu (Banshun, Tokyo Monogatari, Story of Floating Weeds, Bakushu, Ohayo)

Fritz Lang (M, Metropolis, Testament of Dr. Mabuse)

Orson Welles (Citizen Kane, Le Proces, Touch of Evil, F for Fake)

Something like that.

They're all great directors and they're all great movies. So you won't waste any time if you'd want to try one of the above.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

From the ones already mentioned I pick:

David Lynch

Fritz Lang (Metropolis! Whoa! Double whoa! I'm so happy to read that others have seen the film too...)

Tim Burton

Federico Fellini (Roma all the way)

Alfred Hitchcock

I add:

Roman Polanski (with specific mention of the almost forgotten The Fearless Vampire Killers)

Milos Forman (Amadeus, The People versus Larry Flint, One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, Valmont)

And perhaps William Wyler (the man behind Ben-Hur, Roman Holiday, but most especially Wuthering Heights, which blew me away with its sheer raw passion... it made me appreciate older films. Quite often they are far more daring, imaginative and surprising than the films today)

I add:

Roman Polanski (with specific mention of the almost forgotten The Fearless Vampire Killers)

Yay for THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS! Have you seen his first feauture NÃÆÃââââ¬ÃâZ W WODZIE (Knife in the Water). That one's really good as well, and together with Repulsion and Cul-de-sac my favorite Polanski.

MPC, Duffy only made one movie.

21o4pav.jpg

I add:

Yay for THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS! Have you seen his first feauture NÃÆÃââââ¬ÃâZ W WODZIE (Knife in the Water). That one's really good as well, and together with Repulsion and Cul-de-sac my favorite Polanski.

I haven't seen it, haven't even heard of it. I've seen most of the "mainstream" Polanksi (Bitter Moon, Rosemary's Baby, The Pianist,...) But I'm very curious, I like the Polanski from before the Sharon Tate-trauma. Is it available somehow, somewhere?

I haven't seen it, haven't even heard of it. I've seen most of the "mainstream" Polanksi (Bitter Moon, Rosemary's Baby, The Pianist,...) But I'm very curious, I like the Polanski from before the Sharon Tate-trauma. Is it available somehow, somewhere?

Yea, it's pretty easy available. If you're from the US or Canada it has been released on an amazing DVD from Criterion Collection (Click here with a lot of his short movies made in the period from '57 till '62. If you're from the UK you can order the anchor bay version from play.com (Click here) and in Holland and Beglium it's available in the Roman Polanski collection (Which is pretty hard to get nowadays I believe. It contains: 7 shorts by polansky, Knife in the Water, What?, Cul-de-Sac, Repulsion, Bitter Moon and The Pianist). :)

21o4pav.jpg

One of my favourite film directors that hasn't been mentioned is Sergio Leonne. His spaghetti westerns are totally genre defining, and some scenes are simply perfect for effect and tension.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

One of my favourite film directors that hasn't been mentioned is Sergio Leonne. His spaghetti westerns are totally genre defining, and some scenes are simply perfect for effect and tension.

besides for the ones already mentioned (probably my top five have already been mentioned):

Alfred Hitchcock

Frank Capra

Sergio Leone

Darren Aronofsky

:P

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Steven Speilberg has made lots of good movies through the years and is one I like. I also like Brian De Palma with his Scarface and Mission Impossible.

122 Combat : 99 Hits : 99 Attack : 99 Strength

97/99 Defence : 99 Fletching : 99 Woodcutting

• 2 months later...