Tip.It Times - 16th September 2012

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in an article then please PM them to @tripsis. :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

That "Did You Know..." fact = mind blown.

Anyway, I found the first article to be centered too much on items. That's only one of the many rough facets of EOC :P . I'm more worried about overall balance between various styles vs. various creatures.

22031_s.gif

That "Did You Know..." fact = mind blown.

Anyway, I found the first article to be centered too much on items. That's only one of the many rough facets of EOC :P . I'm more worried about overall balance between various styles vs. various creatures.

That "Did You Know..." fact changed my life. Okay well, no. But it did educate me a lot.

As for Alg"s article I agree with everything he mentioned, especially the last point. Learning something totally new is gonna be hard for all players. Granted, they provided information on how weapons and tiers worked, and little bits and piece in those "Behind the Scenes" when they were teasing us about the combat back then, it's not enough. Some guide would be nice at this stage of the beta. Now I can't totally speak for say weapon tiers, since I am a non maxed player with limited items to try (lack of quest and mini-game participation), but even looking at it now everything is the same. I remember Alg mentioning that Goliath gloves tie with the Chaotic Maul as the strongest 2 handed weapon in the beta. And some time ago someone else mentioned that a vine whip is the best substitute for a chaotic rapier. Wither this is true or not (I have no way to test it given the lack of levels) that's a huge disincentive for me to dungeoneer to 200k token. And since I'll reach 80 dungeoneering long before then, it's in my best interest now to finish all the quest required for Dominion Tower access and do more slayer task.

With that said I do like the fact that Barrows (and some other mini-games) was introduced in the beta. I think Barrows is a great example of learning a combat system. At my current level I can't (inefficiency) bully my way through them anymore with melee. I think this really encourages balanced leveling, which is what Jagex hopes to accomplish (among may things).

However, like Decebal mentioned, I too want to know the outcome of various styles vs. various monsters. Because it seems unreasonable to force a player to use only one style on a monster. It limits variety, when ironically, Jagex wants variety when it releases it's challenge system; which, to my knowledge, includes combat.

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

You can actually talk to mandrith and he will tell you his experience with the dragonkin invasion, short, but it's there. Haven't checked with Evil Dave's family.

Yeah, I noticed this but didn't have enough time to update my article before I got separated from the internet. But Mandrith is the only one and he makes the event sound like a terrible, grisly thing but other than him, there is still nothing in anyone else's appearance or dialogue to reinforce the event having any significance.

• Like 1
Cowards can't block Warriors.

i agree with the second article, it would be much better if more towns/areas were updated to reflect what happened in quests etc.

i spent a lot of time fishing at Piscatoris and was really disappointed that they never fixed the place up after all my efforts to vanquish the sea trolls. what a dreary and depressing place that is.

begbie.png

It is better to remain silent and be thought a noob than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

There's a very simple reason for this. I'm not good with numbers :twss: