Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Best F2P Combat Guide (all levels)

• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Zaaptastic
  • RSN2:Zaap Cannon
  • Clan:DGS ☺ Harpies@@@
Say what? You want to get massive combat experience? You say you want to do with with minimal effort? You don't want to spend heaps of cash on food, or don't want to raise your fishing high enough to fish lobbies effectively? Seem impossible? It's not, in the next few...minutes/moments/hours it is a long guide, you will discover the secret to training ALL forms of combat. Can't wait to break the scroll thing on your mouse from anxiety? Want a spoiler? Here it is in three easy to remember words:

THE STRONGHOLD OF SECURITY

Posted Image

Oh shoot that's 4 words :-#

This is my guide for the Stronghold of Security (SoS from here on out). I will list all the best training places for EVERY combat skill (except prayer, that's kinda obvious), as well as some secondary skills. This is a F2P guide, but it works for members as well. Members can hope to get special drops including Shield Pieces and Clues.

Guess What? You're Reading my guide, why not post some criticism, or at least say nice guide.

Table of Contents

This guide uses a tag system. Use the search function (Ctrl+F) and type in the capitalized tag inside the brackets to quickly find the section you wish to read.

1.0-Basic Information [BASK]
~1.1 What is the Stronghold of Security? [WSOS]
~1.2 Where is the SoS? [WWSS]
~1.3 Suggested Levels [SGLV]
2.0-Equipment [EQIP]
~1.05 Notes on Equipment [ENOT]
~1.1 Ranged [RNGD]
~1.2 Mage [MGIK]
~1.3 Melee [MLEE]
3.0-Inventory [INVN]
~3.1 A Note on Food [FOOD
4.0-Starting Out [STRT]
5.0-Training [TRNG]
~ 5.1 How much EXP Will I get? [EXPH]
~5.2 Mage/Range [MARN]
~~~5.21 Level 1
~~~5.22 Level 2
~~~5.23 Level 3
~~~5.24 Level 4
~5.3 Melee [MLTR]
~~~5.31 Level 1
~~~5.32 Level 2
~~~5.33 Level 3
~~~5.34 Level 4
~5.4 The Training Monsters [TRNM]
6.0-For Fun [FRFN]
~6.1 The Sceptre [SCPTR]
7.0-Members MEMB
~7.1-Slayer
8.0-Ending Notes [ENNT]
9.0-Credits [CRDT]

1.0 BASIC INFORMATION -BASK-

2.0 EQUIPMENT -EQIP-

3.0 YOUR INVENTORY -INVN-

4.0 STARTING OUT -STRT-

5.0 TRAINING -TRNG-

6.0 FOR FUN -FRFN-

7.0 MEMBERS SECTION -MEMB-

8.0 ENDING NOTES -ENNT-

9.0 CREDITS -CRDT-

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts
I'll post some updates that I want to add here, as well as version updates.

FEB.25.2007-Images fixed, corrections made.

FEB.26.2007-Banner Added, corrections made, links to bestiary added.

MAR.15.2007-Small improvements, added How Much EXP Will I Get? section.

AUG.18.2007-MEMBERS SECTION added

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finding more safespots.

Improving formulas

Getting more members info

~reserved~

Elessar3019
[ Display Name History ]

Elessar3019

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 817 posts
It's really good, you've obviously done some research and figured out exactly how to effectively train down there. 8/10 until you get the pics to work, then 9/10.

perfect grammar is one thing, typing like a drugged monkey and enjoying it is another

AMEN!

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts

It's really good, you've obviously done some research and figured out exactly how to effectively train down there. 8/10 until you get the pics to work, then 9/10.

Thanks, I'm working on the pics now, getting them re-hosted on a different hoster.

jwrm22
[ Display Name History ]

jwrm22

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,095 posts

*Black and Blue mage robes give the same bonuses

WRONG!!!!

nice guide anyway :wink:
Posted Image
^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^
jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.
i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

Madder_Atkha
[ Display Name History ]

Madder_Atkha

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 113 posts
It's a very nice guide but I think there are some small errors in it.

SOS boots give a negative range and magic bonus so normal boots or no boots should be used instead. And for training in the stronghold I would recommend a Shortbow and Iron arrows - that's what I did and a lot of monsters drop iron arrows so you don't lose that much while training.

You also misspelled Litria as Libra when you were talking about the skeleton in the first room. Aside from that great guide.

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts
I'll fix those when I get the images booted up. Thanks for replying.

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts
Oh, the Cookies (Images) are done!!!!!

Turns out all I had to do was delete the space after the [img] :oops:

Doomster
[ Display Name History ]

Doomster

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,282 posts
Shortbow (take the next level bow as wel, as you could level up there) and iron/bronze arrows against the Minotaurs will usually give you more arrows than you started with, save and shoot bronze as well as iron.

Level 1 is truly the ranger paradise, unagressive monsters, easy safespots (fences for both the 12's and 27's) and arrow droppers, what more can a ranger ask for.

Maging on level 1 is a similar tactic to range, while for melee, they don't hit particularly high.

Level 2 has some "hard to work" safespots for the range/magers, a "slow" pair of Crawlers in the corridor to the est, for lower level melee. and a room full of "any level aggressive" Crawlers at the southeast to delight higher level melee fighters - the room to go to if you need their sceptre piece.

Level 3, now it gets scary, the things here can hit you for 6, even as you bail out through the door. The catablepon have a rocksolid safespot on the west wall of the northwest room, though you'll take a couple of hits getting there. They are a grade A pain to melee fighters, with their weaken spell and melee combat, and also seem quite resistant to magic attacks. They can weaken and attack at the same time, so don't waste strength potions, they'll neutralize the potion in no time and still hit you as well.

Level 4, the Ankou.... RESPECT: They can hit 8, and while they CAN be brought down by a rune weaponed Iron pure, it can be an eating contest.

A couple of very fragile cover spots in the northwest room are only effective when they are no longer aggressive, while there is a spot that is a bit more defensible in the south room, second room to the east.

They are a good target for crumble undead.

One bonus for cheapskate prayer trainers, the level 1 rats on any floor (well 1 and 2 at lest, I think there are also rats on 3) drop bones, unlike rats in the open.

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts

Shortbow (take the next level bow as wel, as you could level up there) and iron/bronze arrows against the Minotaurs will usually give you more arrows than you started with, save and shoot bronze as well as iron.

Level 1 is truly the ranger paradise, unagressive monsters, easy safespots (fences for both the 12's and 27's) and arrow droppers, what more can a ranger ask for.

Maging on level 1 is a similar tactic to range, while for melee, they don't hit particularly high.

Level 2 has some "hard to work" safespots for the range/magers, a "slow" pair of Crawlers in the corridor to the est, for lower level melee. and a room full of "any level aggressive" Crawlers at the southeast to delight higher level melee fighters - the room to go to if you need their sceptre piece.

Level 3, now it gets scary, the things here can hit you for 6, even as you bail out through the door. The catablepon have a rocksolid safespot on the west wall of the northwest room, though you'll take a couple of hits getting there. They are a grade A pain to melee fighters, with their weaken spell and melee combat, and also seem quite resistant to magic attacks. They can weaken and attack at the same time, so don't waste strength potions, they'll neutralize the potion in no time and still hit you as well.

Level 4, the Ankou.... RESPECT: They can hit 8, and while they CAN be brought down by a rune weaponed Iron pure, it can be an eating contest.

A couple of very fragile cover spots in the northwest room are only effective when they are no longer aggressive, while there is a spot that is a bit more defensible in the south room, second room to the east.

They are a good target for crumble undead.

One bonus for cheapskate prayer trainers, the level 1 rats on any floor (well 1 and 2 at lest, I think there are also rats on 3) drop bones, unlike rats in the open.

I'll quote you on that when I add a Sceptre part of the guide. Thanks.

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts
C'mon people. Post away!

The_Dragon_Reborn
[ Display Name History ]

The_Dragon_Reborn

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
Pretty good guide. I will refer to it later on when I decide to camp at Ankous.

10/10. :thumbsup:
~~Let The Dragon ride again, on the winds of time~~
Posted Image
I've always felt as if I'm the only person who can understand the concept of sarcasm on the internet.

bsmovies
[ Display Name History ]

bsmovies

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 254 posts
ya, this is a real good guide. helps a tonne when training in the stronghold

10/10
Posted Image

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts

Anyone got any suggestions? I feel like it's missing something......

Mischlings
[ Display Name History ]

Mischlings

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 879 posts
  • Location:State of Confusion (Michigan, specifically Ann Arbor)
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:MischlingsSH

Not that this is anything big, but there's a better located fire in the longhall. There are two there, and it's a little bit closer than Peska's.

Also, I believe that the Catablepons use magic-based melee (similar to bloodvelds, pyrefiends, jellies, etc.) so bringing dragonhide specifically to kill them might be good for melee when going for the sceptre. I'm not 100% sure on this, though; if someone could confirm/refute this, it would be helpful.

EDIT: A quick look at the bestiary tells me that they use magic to lower your strength, but they don't use magic-based melee. Is this just a rumor/my imagination?

Just a couple things I think that might help the guide.

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts

Not that this is anything big, but there's a better located fire in the longhall. There are two there, and it's a little bit closer than Peska's.

Also, I believe that the Catablepons use magic-based melee (similar to bloodvelds, pyrefiends, jellies, etc.) so bringing dragonhide specifically to kill them might be good for melee when going for the sceptre. I'm not 100% sure on this, though; if someone could confirm/refute this, it would be helpful.

EDIT: A quick look at the bestiary tells me that they use magic to lower your strength, but they don't use magic-based melee. Is this just a rumor/my imagination?

Just a couple things I think that might help the guide.

The fire is closer to the fishing spot, but Peksa's is closer to the SoS. They balance out, but you might get distracted at Longhall.

True, the magic attack lowers your strength. I will add that. But after many "sceptre runs" (see the For Fun section) I've found that armor still works better. Unless your strength is exceptionally low, use armor.

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts
No one's posting....that means my guides perfect then? It can't be perfect otherwise it would be in AoW :thumbsup: .

Anyway i can make this thing better?

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts
Added Banner

juicce
[ Display Name History ]

juicce

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 112 posts
Hey, this guide should have information about mosters and drops!

Also, recheck colours of your marks, sometimes kinda hard to notice at first sight.

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts

Hey, this guide should have information about mosters and drops!

Also, recheck colours of your marks, sometimes kinda hard to notice at first sight.

I'll get working on the drops.

Might work on colors too if I got time.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users