A thing or two about Ankous.. (updated 5/27)

Kuroi_Ame

First off, this is an Ankou..

Ankou_-3-.gif

"A boney ghost."

And this is not..

Chicken.gif

"Yup, definately a chicken."

Q and A

Q: Why Ankous?

A: Ankous have 60-70HP and level 75-86 all with a max hit of 8. Their respawn rate is fairly quick. The down side is they are often crowded. Ankous are aggressive for about 10 minutes.

Q: Where can I find Ankous?

A: Ankous are located at the bottom floor of the Security Stronghold (here's a URL to the map of the Security Stronghold: http://www.tip.it/runescape/?page=stron ... ty_map.htm).

F2P Drops

Gold: 1-231

100%: Bones

Weapon:

Armour: Adamant med helm

Runes/Arrows: Law(2), Fire(15), Adamant(5-16)

Misc: Black robe, Rune essence(15 noted), Coal ore(4 noted), Mithril ore(3-7 noted), Uncut gems, Left skull half

P2P Only Drops

100%: Bones

Weapon: Black knife(1-10), Rune javelin(5), Rune spear, Dragon spear

Armour: -

Runes/Arrows: Death(10), Blood(5-11)

Misc: Herbs, Herb seed(1), Limpwurt seed(1), Watermelon seed(1), Jangerberry seed(1), Poison ivy seed(1), Bass, Pure essence(15 noted), Fried mushroom, Mithril ore(3-7 noted), Nature talisman, Weapon poison, Half key, Shield left half(dragon), Clue(lvl 3)

P2P Attack Methods

Food

BonesToPeaches>Monkfish>Lobsters>Cakes (sharks in my opinion are a bit expensive, and slow to catch, Monkfish are a lot better, IMO)

First off, I don't have the Bones to Peaches spell, but I do recommend using this, if you can. Peaches, according to most people, HEAL 8. It would be a good idea to get at least 10 bones before casting this spell, if you can, without dropping anything.

Bones to Peaches Method

Note: You can use this method with any type of armor, and of course you can use less runes. If you are using a method other than Melee, replace the Dragon Dagger (p++) with a Super Attack potion.

bones2peachesinventoryhf9.png

Dharok

ankoudharokinventge9.png

The reason I have my Amulet of Glory in my Inventory is because I use my Salve Amulet (e) instead, and the reason I don't keep it in my bank is because I use it to teleport myself to Edgeville to bank, Varrock Teleports would work, too. The Salve Amulet (e) gives +20% attack and strength. When I Dharok, I usually try to keep my HitPoints from 17-25. The reason I don't let it fall below 17 is because their max hit is an 8 and at times they can hit 8, 8 quickly (I had 16 hp, and was hit an 8, 7 before I had time to eat, talk about scary. You could also use Bones to Peaches for food, and bring along a Ring of Life in case lag comes your way). I found this is the best amount of potions to bring, as they all run out at about the same time (if using regular Attack Potions instead of Super Attack, I advise bringing three). I found Dharoking Ankous to be the best way to kill them, I can usually stay down there for over an hour before my food runs out and reap over 170K worth of profits which adds up to pay for the repairs of Dharoks + a nice chunk of change and experience (I could get 70K an hour, maybe more).

Requirements:

70 Attack

70 Strength

70 Defense

Guthan

fullguthanda9.png

A good tip from me is to kill Ankous with whip+defender (optional dds) until you get about half health, then switch to full Guthans to heal. The food is just in case.

Requirements:

70 defense

70 Attack

Melee

ankoumeleeinventys7.png

The inventory is mostly the same as the Dharok one. I can stay down there for a little more than an hour, certainly not as long as with Dharoks, and I definately do not get nearly the amount of experience. But, if all you're after is profit, this is a better way to go, you are not spending a thing (you can buy your potions for really cheap at the Warriors Guild, which is what I do for my Strength and Defense potions, I make my own Super Attacks, though) but time and getting 170K+ an inventory.

Magic

ankoumageinventqt3.png

This one is mainly self-explanitory, I advise bringing tons more runes, I just kind of ran low on Chaos for this screenshot. What I tend to do is sell the Death runes and Blood runes I get from Ankous to buy more Chaos, Earth, and Water runes. I am weilding a Slayer Staff (cost 55K and requires 50 Magic and 55 Slayer) in the screenshot, which allows you to autocast Crumble Undead, an Air/Earth staff would work just as well, however. I can run on for as long as I want down there, granted the amount of runes and food for the times I get hit for the first 10 minutes (after that they are un-aggressive). See Safespots below.

Range

ankourangeinventyx8.png

Ranger Boots are nice, but Snakeskin are just as good. If you have neither, I'd bring some Boots of Lightness (Temple of Ikov Quest). I'd recommend using Steel arrows until 50 or 60, then Iron works just as well against them. Don't forget to bring food just in case. You can use Safespots (see below).

Something you can expect from a typical hour long trip

typicalinventoryde3.png

F2P Attack Methods

Note:

After considering some things, to leave the Ankou area, use the ladder and the bank in Edgeville, then to get more food, fishing Salmon/Trout and cooking them on a fire would be even quicker.

Food

Lobsters>Salmon>Trout

heals 12>heals 9>heals 7

Melee

ankoumeleeftpinventqm6.png

This is pretty straight-forward. You can bring more, or less, but this is probably the best amount, judging by your HP level. I can be down there, for a little less than an hour before being forced to teleport. The profit isn't as great as with P2P, but you can get some runes and some Adamant Arrows.

Mage

ankoumageftpinventvg6.png

I use Crumble Undead, and hit constant 13s on them, but you can use something different, for whatever reason. You can stay for as long as your runes provide. Be sure to bring some food for the first few minutes that they are agressive. Mage isn't the most profitable, but it's good if you have a few Chaos to blow. See safespots below.

Range

ankourangeftpinventbb9.png

I recommend using steel on these things, depending on your Ranged level. I'd say, under level 60, use steel arrows, over 60, use iron, and 75 and beyond, any is fine, but I'd still say iron. Range hits fairly well on them, and you can use safespots (below) on them. Bring a little bit of food for the first few minutes of agressivity.

Bottom floor of Security Stronghold (where Ankous are located, map courtesy Tip.It)

ankouarealj3.png

There are several areas you can kill Ankous in, I documented two.

This is the first ("Room 1"), which I recommend for Melee ONLY.

room1yi5.png

Please don't flame me about having Protect from Melee on, I was carrying 7 Amulets of Glories and was about to charge them and really did not want to lose them.

Safespots ("Room 2")

Any attack method will work down here.

These are not all of them, I'm sure, but these were the ones I found to be pretty good, but are a bit troublesome at times. They're in order from best safespot to worst.

safespot1xt9.png

safespot3tm8.png

safespot2gx9.png

wiseoldmanv2jpgvx2.jpg

do u wow?

Cassiius|Level 70 Night Elf Preist|Runetotem

Sambora|Level 37 Tauren Shaman|BurningLegion

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW............Very Detailed Guide, could not ask for more. This has a lot of details, and could really help the players that have never been down in the Stronghold Of Security. This is an excelent guide....10/10

Love the Quest cape!

WOOT* FIRST POST*

killer%202650.png

Click here to visit my Blog

GWD Drops:: Sara Sword(2); Bandos Boots(2); Steam Staff Split(4)

Dragon:: Boots (16); Whips (2); Dragon (Skirt(2), Helmet(2), Left Half(3))

Dagganoth:: Axes(3) Berserker(3) Mud Staff(2) Seers(1)

No Barrows Drops

99's:: Fletching, Cooking, Attack, Firemaking, Defence,Hitpoints, Magic

looks good. just a little suggestion about te dharok part. I personally use bones to peaches there, let me keep my hp fairly low. with a ring of life ankous can't kill me, since their max is 8, and if i get 8 hp left the ring will take me out. also a d-baxe with normal restore pot and super attack is great, makes you hit more.

Rudyaard.png

rudyaard.png

looks good. just a little suggestion about te dharok part. I personally use bones to peaches there, let me keep my hp fairly low. with a ring of life ankous can't kill me, since their max is 8, and if i get 8 hp left the ring will take me out. also a d-baxe with normal restore pot and super attack is great, makes you hit more.

I thought about Bones to Peaches, but I don't see much of a reason to waste all of those runes, when you can just as easily use any other food. True you can stay down there for, theoretically, ever, you use tons of Natures, and if you have a small amount of free space in your inventory, you don't get a whole lot of Peaches. I've not thought of the Ring of Life, but I never let my HP get down to 8 in the first place, but if there is a lag, it could, in turn, save you. I'll add them.

wiseoldmanv2jpgvx2.jpg

do u wow?

I thought about Bones to Peaches, but I don't see much of a reason to waste all of those runes, when you can just as easily use any other food. True you can stay down there for, theoretically, ever, you use tons of Natures, and if you have a small amount of free space in your inventory, you don't get a whole lot of Peaches

the nats you use is pretty much covered by the drops you get.

and if you only keep the runes and pure ess, and only have the b2p runes in invo, you should get 20 peaches/cast

Rudyaard.png

rudyaard.png

what to say... bones to peaches is probably better... it can keep your health lower... and is actually cheaper than regular food (not counting the progress to get it)

it costs about 650gp for one cast of bones to peaches...

if you then cast and get 15-20 peaches per cast, it's not that bad...

a monk costs ca 300gp per...

lobsters 250.. what to say, it's cheaper too :P

Scherzo.png

Very Nice guide. Can you say about how much of each runes you get on each trip? I am thinking of going there, but I look for good death rune loots.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

A few minor issues - F2P (from a well practised F2P strongholder)...

1. Melee - the stronghold boots are a must, if you can do Ankou, you can reach the boots reward, the best melee boots in F2P.

2. Mage - crafting minds & airs, carrying fire staff, works well, and enables free maging, I reckon on about 20 fire strike throws per Ankou (autocasting), though I usually curse first. If I feel like using up some chaos runes, then I may go equipped for earth strikes, so the staff will autocast an earth strike if I fail to tee up a crumble.

3. Range - I find F2P range equipment performs poorly against them, though maybe with higher levels, it may turn.

Food: Invariably, I multi-run using the river to provide trout/salmon, instead of bringing Lobster. Makes each run shorter, but with several faster reloads before banking, and probably faster overall if you consider the Karamja trip time.

Using the F2P free maging method, they can be an agreeable source of law runes, though luck plays a large part, from a pair of laws at every other drop, to a dry spell of small coin drops and dark wizard tops.

ankoumeleeinventdo3.png

thats mee! :lol:

ancous are fun to train on... they drop alot blood and clues and with 93 str +20% and super set i can 1 hit them... :thumbsup:

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

I thought about Bones to Peaches, but I don't see much of a reason to waste all of those runes, when you can just as easily use any other food. True you can stay down there for, theoretically, ever, you use tons of Natures, and if you have a small amount of free space in your inventory, you don't get a whole lot of Peaches. I've not thought of the Ring of Life, but I never let my HP get down to 8 in the first place, but if there is a lag, it could, in turn, save you. I'll add them.

With the melee set you can't theoretically stay forever....Dharoks breaks eventually :P

2w3uule.png

2w726iv.png

you know there is a place called outside, better graphics 100% pvp and no fee to play :-w

F2P gets no deaths from Ankous, only Law runes.

Overall, great guide 9/10

~Ddaanniiellh

Are you 100% sure that free to play users get absolutely NO Death Runes? They're F2P items and they're F2P monsters in a F2P world..I'll double check your word tomorrow.

wiseoldmanv2jpgvx2.jpg

do u wow?

*Claps* I really enjoyed reading this guide!

When I first on the link I thought... Oh dear, another 2 sentence guide saying take a whip and food...

But you really outdid yourself on this one! I enjoyed reading up on the different ways to range them. And I might try that out in the future.

One point to consider however. With using the accumulator you might want to put in that it won't retrieve your arrows (I believe). Because it dosen't work over safespots... Then again I don't know if the bones are considered a safespot according the JaGEx.

Once again a 10/10 guide!

~Blue

Trying to get a new sig... Idea's anyone?

belive it or not... THATS ME!

unavngivetal7.png

i always thourght he was a little odd the one without armour... (i got a clue scroll right in that kill and left \' )

Played since February 2001

alexrn2vh6.jpg

13th to 30 hunting

firemaking cape achieved 6th August 2008_-_-_-_Quest cape achieved 19th August 2009

wow, certainly not your average guide

I rarely kill ankous and we all know that bones to peaches works, but I didn't realize there were special ways to use mage/range/even melee.

I'm gonna be honest, 10/10 due to good grammar, little bit of humor, and pictures to help us :)

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

Great guide :D

Just 2 thing you could add (sorry if said before) :

- F2p players can use the Stronghold of security boots, these are the best F2P boots.

- F2P players or anybody low on cash can just fish at the river by the S.O.S when out of food :)

Quest cape obtained at combat level 83, march 07.

Good guide. I used to train at Ankous, before it became too crowded. Ive seen you down there a few times, 1 hitting them with dharocks.

GF TIF.

9 November 2006 - 22 January 2008, when I could no longer stand the painted turd that is the Tip.It community. Only posting in rants.

I spent some time down there for a while a couple weeks ago. ONly did 6 Runs, but brought home almost 1Mil in items.

~~Let The Dragon ride again, on the winds of time~~

dragonrebornkr1.jpg

I've always felt as if I'm the only person who can understand the concept of sarcasm on the internet.