Iron Sheets - Quite Good Actually

builtom

Iron Sheets - Are They As Bad As They Seem?

I have already tried the search function, sorry if this has already been said but i have been told by several people "iron sheets dont give enough exp to be worth it." or something along those lines. However, during a spell of boredom, I decided to see whether or not they really were as bad as people claimed.

Quest Required: Swan Song

Ways to get there:

Fairy Ring Code: A K Q (walk north)

Gnome glider/Spirit tree to Gnome Stronghold then go through the south gate and walk west-northwest following the wall

Teleport to Ardougne and walk north-northwest to the Gnome stronghold and walk west along the wall

You learn how to make Iron Sheets during the quest.

For each iron bar you make into a sheet, you will lose 5 experience.

You will have to decide whether that 5 exp means that much.

At the time of posting rings of forging cost 2-3k each.

For every ring of forging (140 charges) you would make 2.8k from selling the iron sheets to the guy south-south east of the furnace, and gain 4550 smithing experience.

For every ring of forging (140 charges) you would make 14k (if sold for 40 per) if made into iron knives, and gain 5250 smithing exp,

There is a difference between the two:

Iron Sheets:

Constant buyer at a fixed price

Only requires you to buy rings of forging (2.8k maximum per ring if you want to break even)

Takes alot of clicking (the press machine doesnt have a "make X" button)

Requires the completion of Swan Song

Requires 45 smithing

Takes some time

You must mine the ores yourself if you want to make a profit/break even

Iron Knives:

Need to look for a buyer (unless you have a permenant buyer)

Need to buy rings of forging and/or Iron ore/bars

Requires 22 smithing

Requires some clicking (has "make 10" for the smithing area)

Are fast

Iron Sheets may take longer to make compared to Iron Knives, but there is always a buyer (No more searching for hours for a buyer!) and the route you take makes it almost a straight line.

Suggested Equipment:

What you will want is minimal weight, so hunter capes and boots of lightness are good, and dont forget the all important ring of forging and your pickaxe. Do not wear anything that will weigh you down, and wearing a glory amulet is highly not-recommended as they can increase the chance of getting gems while mining.

(If there is good feedback, I will try to add pictures.)

party_banner.jpg

this doesn't seem like a guide to me, its more like that you realized that they're not so bad exp... :-k

Well, it just seems that way to me...

[/url]">i_had_a_deal.png
[4Th in Finland to achieve 99 mining. 3Rd of June 2007]

Pixels make me horny.

You have to mine the iron ore for sheets if you want to break even/make a profit. As you only gain 20 gp per sheet, buying them is out of the question unless you dont mind losing money.

However, you can always sell the ore to other players for 100 each instead. By mining the ore and making it into iron sheets instead of making it into iron knives, you make a 20 gp profit per ore instead of a 200 gp profit. If you buy the ore for both methods, you lose 80 gp per ore making sheets but make a 100 gp profit (not taking into account rings of forging) by making knives.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Mining the ore and making sheets is parallel to mining the ore and making knives, not to buying the ore and making knives.

They are similar, one takes a while to do it all, one takes a shorter amount of time to get the end product. However, you may spend hours trying to look for a buyer for your knives, while there is always a buyer for the sheets.

party_banner.jpg

tell ppl: where, how, what to do, what quest etc...

i knowq your are talking about that city north the eagle peak... (cant remember the name) but most ppl dont know where you are talking about...

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

Well, to be honest, Iron Knife doesnt really take a while to sell. Many low level pures buy them for the cheap but rather fast experince if they cant or dont want to use Red Chinchompa. Its not a bad guide, and smithing 1 bar at a time is rather slow (iron knife wise) but this is an okay guide if you just want some levels I guess.

Ranged Crave

newsigwu9.png

I'M SO EMO HAHAHAHAHAHA

Thats the whole point of this thread. They offer 20 smithing experience per sheet after the quest, and are sold for 20 per to the nearby NPC. Explained above is a comparison of Iron Sheets VS Iron Knives.

party_banner.jpg

They are similar, one takes a while to do it all, one takes a shorter amount of time to get the end product. However, you may spend hours trying to look for a buyer for your knives, while there is always a buyer for the sheets.

This is a good point. I came up with the "brilliant" idea of smithing 10k ore for iron knives. Thus far, I'm been posting for a couple weeks, but I can't seem to find a buyer at any price. So these 5k knives sit in my bank. Mind you, I bought the iron, so I can't try this. But if you mine it yourself, it could be profitable.

curmudgeony.png

well, its a good comparison, but not much of a guide and i would rather make iron knives

wendigo66.jpeg

click my sig for my blog!!!

Thanks everyone for the sigs they pwn!

No. Why should i give presents for someone in rs?

Most selfish thing I've ever heard

Iron sheets.. pff

Your saying it yourself:

The profit is smaller per set amount of ores.

The time it takes is larger

You have to mine your own ores for profit

High requirements..

I mean, add these all up.. no

And for the concerne of buyers. I started smithing and posted that people can come buy them, while I was smithing them. Didn't really take much trouble to sell them. The forums are a great way, or World 2 ranging area.

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

This is something where 90% of the runescapers go wrong, why in earth would you mine iron ores just to make them into metal sheets? You could also smelt all the ores and sell the bars or just sell the ores if you want the cash. In fact if cash is your concern then just go merchanting or stake or do something like double nats crafting, mining ores just to make them into useless items which sell for 1/10 of the value of the bar is a waste of time.