Guide to Pickpocketing (now with general thieving help!!)

matthew_t_d

This is my first guide and so is quite simple, most people should find the tips in here common sense. I am expanding it to a thieving guide atm. It's quite reduntant now as Pyramid pluder is faster I think but I'm rubbish at it lol. Pictures on how to trap guards coming soon....

Also coming soon - Battlestaff and seaweed collecting guide!

Contents

• 1.Equipment setup

2.Inventory and food

3.Ingame setup

4.Levels to thieve

5.Luring the NPC/Where to thieve

6.General Tips

1. Equipment setup

This is what you want to wear. Apparently a low weight improves chances of making a pickpocket. Im not sure if this is true but if you run for more food it can't do much harm.

pickpocketsetupre7.png

In this, the bow is the most useful - it stops you attacking them which can be a little annoying.

Im not sure about the gloves. If you have lots in bank then use them but they decay about every 100 thieves. I was thieving paladins with a friend - he had 81 thieving and i had 72. He had no gloves and I had the gloves of silence and I was slightly more successful. However, he might of been looking away for a while so the result is inconclussive lol...

2. Inventory

Suggested food: Cakes - free(or cheap) and if stolen give even more xp :P. Other foods are ok but I find cakes do the job fine.

It's pretty obvious what your inventory will look like...(assuming you are not thieving from master farmers, paladins, elves etc.) If you are thieving from them just put less food in invetory.

invsetupvl1.png

The space is for Gold incase you didn't realise...

I don't know who came up with the idea below but I think I saw it on these forums. Thank you.

Simply, put the seeds that you would want to keep in your inventory - it probably depends on your farming level. Fill the rest with cakes (or other food.)

3. Ingame Setup

This makes pickpocketing more efficient

optionssetupej3.png

4. Levels to thieve

Levels 1-5

Simply pickpocket men (or women) till level 5. Only 49 successful picks are needed so it shouldn't take too long.

Levels 5-20

Get to ardounge and steal from the cake stall. Do this 256 times and bank all the cakes. You get 16 Xp each time you do it.

*TIP* If a guard spots you, quickly click steal again - you get the cake.

Levels 20-38

Personally, with hindsight here I would have carried on with the Cake stall. However, I got silk from the stall and banked it to sell it to him. When I was a new member, this money helped me quite a bit. (even though it isn't that much...)

Levels 38*-55

Here theive master farmers. Best place is Draynor market place but there is one north of Ardounge. Alternativly you could wait till 40 and start on guards (I did this and its simpler although now I regret not having as many watermelon seeds lol)

[Tips on how to trap guards coming up in a bit]

*level 40 if you wait until guards

Levels 55-80

From 55 onwards for training do Knights. If you find you are failing too much then stay on guards/farmer. You can start Paladins at 70 but you will fail too much for them to be reasonable XP. Some guides suggest doing these till 99 and whilst they are faster XP, there is less Gp. You get 84.3xp per Knight pickpocket

Levels 80+

Do Paladins for money and a good amount of xp and Knights for xp. Simple!

5. Luring the NPC/Where to theive

Luring the NPC is moving it into a room where it is less likely to be killed by a random noob. It also means you spend less time running around chasing it as you can trap the NPC in corners (See below). The main place to theive in Ardougne is here.

my.php?image=wheretotheiveug5.png

Now to lure them follow these steps:

bowunequipev4.png

attacknpcpng-463xjb0os.png

opendoor-463xl9wdi.png

goupstairs-463xnalxp.png

Here, just walk up the stairs and back down again. Reequip your bow and theive to your hearts content. (I had to change NPC cause the guy in torags killed him :(

6. General Tips

If stealing from chests or stalls, pick a busy world - they respawn faster

Otherwise, for pickpocketing, chose an empty world - less Noobs will kill the NPC you are Stealing from (Merchanting worlds are also good - the theiving spots are empty as everyone is trying to make money buying and selling.

Faster xp is now possible from Pyramid pluder and possibly summer garden.

An idea I have come up with is to use Guthan to heal - this would be useful in Ardounge castle as there there are plenty of paladins to respawn and they will all do it in the room you are in - meaning you don't have to retrap them. However, would you risk your Guthans?. I have not tried this and if you get carried away I dont want to be responisble lol.

Thanks to soulegleon for the tips below!

a couple of tips:

1. bring along and extra gloves of silense or two at higher theiving levels as you can get more than 100 pickpockets in a load of food at that time.

2. if you can use chocolate on your cakes do so as it gives a significant amount more hp than that of normal cake.

3. if you can use the jangerberry+redemption trick i would! the technique is get a full load of jangerberries (which restore 1 prayer point each and i beleive heal a little hp). when at 10% (and above the max hit of the npc when theiving) eat a jangerberry and then use/activate redemption and pickpocket whatever you are pickpocketing(note that it might be a good idea to wear prayer boosting equipment for this) untill you get hit. if your prayer is still active you will get healed for 25% of your prayer level, even though you only use 1 prayer point (which at 99 prayer is 24-25hp!).

Thats it!

Please say how I can improve the guide and point out any bad shpelling :P

Matthew T-D

Whip drops: 9

Abyssal head drops: 3

the bow trick is cool 8-) but add what,where and how to pickpocket. guards are good until 70 i have heard.

you want to trap them in a house, so they dont walk away from you all the time.

4/10 because of the bow trick :thumbsup:

great guide for new members(people not use to thieving) the guide is a bit to short for people who need real advice to get 99 but then again that is not what this guide was made for ::'

8/10 it has some minor flaws(errors) witch should be corrected and/or at looked at O:)

keep updating, i can't wait to see what you come up with next. \'

Played since February 2001

alexrn2vh6.jpg

13th to 30 hunting

firemaking cape achieved 6th August 2008_-_-_-_Quest cape achieved 19th August 2009

i can see this becoming a GREAT guide with a couple of updates

your work is good and i cant wait to see when you post the seaweed collecting and battlestaff guide(just remember to keep ur guides updated, unlike me :XD: )

a couple of tips:

1. bring along and extra gloves of silense or two at higher theiving levels as you can get more than 100 pickpockets in a load of food at that time.

2. if you can use cocholate on your cakes do so as it gives a significant amount more hp than that of normal cake.

3. if you can use the jangerberry+redemption trick i would! the technique is get a full load of jangerberries (which restore 1 prayer point each and i beleive heal a little hp). when at 10% (and above the max hit of the npc when theiving) eat a jangerberry and then use/activate redemption and pickpocket whatever you are pickpocketing(note that it might be a good idea to wear prayer boosting equipment for this) untill you get hit. if your prayer is still active you will get healed for 25% of your prayer level, even though you only use 1 prayer point (which at 99 prayer is 24-25hp!).

im not sure if defensive stats of your armor protect you from getting hit more but you should look into it.

so far i rate it 6.5/10 but it has the potential to get 10/10 with a little work :thumbsup:

newsignature1fs8.png

4. Levels to theive

Levels 1-5

Simply pickpocket men (or women) till level 5. Only 49 successful picks are needed so it shouldn't take too long.

Levels 5-20

Get to ardounge and steal from the cake stall. Do this 256 times and bank all the cakes. You get 16 Xp each time you do it.

Levels 20-38

Personally, with hindsight here I would have carried on with the Cake stall. However, I got silk from the stall and banked it to sell it to him. When I was a new member, this money helped me quite a bit. (even though it isn't that much...)

Levels 38*-55

Here theive master farmers. Best place is Draynor market place but there is one north of Ardounge. Alternativly you could wait till 40 and start on guards (I did this and its simpler although now I regret not having as many watermelon seeds lol)

Levels 55-80

From 55 onwards for training do Knights. If you find you are failing too much then stay on guards/farmer. You can start Paladins at 70 but you will fail too much for them to be reasonable XP. Some guides suggest doing these till 99 and whilst they are faster XP, there is less Gp. You get 84.3xp per Knight pickpocket

Levels 80+

You know that the main tips, like what to thieve when, are all incorrect? ... :?

sigwg.png

Are you into DnB or Dubstep?

Be sure to check my SOUNDCLOUD and MIXCLOUD,

and like me on FACEBOOK to stay up to date!

Latest mix: Leuven Goes Out Deejay Contest Winning Set (Dubstep + DnB)

Very nice: 9/10. I've been needing a thieving guide.

The only minor problem is that you spelled "thieving" wrong - the whole time! Remember the rule? "I before E except after C and in words...." yada yada yada. Don't bother changing it; only geeks like me will notice.

perfect grammar is one thing, typing like a drugged monkey and enjoying it is another

AMEN!

4. Levels to theive

Levels 1-5

Levels 5-20

Levels 20-38

Levels 38*-55

Levels 55-80

Levels 80+

You know that the main tips, like what to thieve when, are all incorrect? ... :?

That must be one the most constructive critisism I've ever seen.

OT: But you do make some major mistakes here;

Thieving rule #1 says: never start to thieve something when you just can, wait at least 5 levels! You seem to forget that.

Another note; even at 80+ you still fail on paladins pretty often, so I suggest to stick with knights (I've thieved untill 81 on knights and I still found paladins to fail too often).

And don't expect some major high level seeds coming in while thieving farmers, both your kingdom and drops are faster then trying to thieve high level seeds. (For low levels, it's a totally different story.)

Besides that it's pretty good. You could add you fail less if you thieve behind a NPC then while doing it in front of him.

And very nice you put the one mouse button trick in it, not many people know that!

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

• 3 weeks later...