Roleplay

highlanders

A role-playing game is a type of game in which the participants assume the roles of their character and collaboratively create stories.

What's everyone's views on roleplay, is it important for you, do you roleplay in Rs?

Personally, I don't roleplay a lot, and in Runescape I think they totally neglected the roleplay, since there's no guild system or anything to encourage it.

2480+ total

Just playing the game is playing the role of your character -.- Mining/fighting/woodcutting/etc is all playing those roles. That's what's meant by an rpg.

Actually assuming a role of a different character/person to 'act' out with other people is slightly different :P

Dork.jpeg

Sig And Avatar by Tripsis - 99 Slayer Blog - My Pyramid Plunder Guide

Owner of Fire Cape since 28-09-2005 - 426th to 99 Strength

You obviously know nothing about roleplay.

Here I'm talking about the real roleplay, not the fake roleplay that you have just invented, because sorry but that is not roleplay.

2480+ total

I'm aware that roleplaying is assuming the form of someone/something else. But unless you're talking about runescape, which is what I reffered to in my post, your thread is actually off topic anyway.

As I said, just playing Runescape is a form of roleplaying in itself.

Dork.jpeg

Sig And Avatar by Tripsis - 99 Slayer Blog - My Pyramid Plunder Guide

Owner of Fire Cape since 28-09-2005 - 426th to 99 Strength

trip is right, your role is to play yourself

He's dork, and he's right. :ohnoes:

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

trip is right, your role is to play yourself

He's dork, and he's right. :ohnoes:

ugh, horrible joke.

the point of roleplaying is to view yourself on a peculiar type of character in a game. mostly roleplaying goes by MMORPGS or RPGs.

You kill Man, Women, Monsters, and others for simple pleasure (exp) and loot in RuneScape, something you'll never do in RL, you're already roleplaying in the game. Same goes for any type of skilling - I highly doubt you will actually considering mining, wcing, or anything else enjoyable in RL.

When you play RuneScape, you have a different set of actions, moral, and value considerations -- that's roleplaying.

It's not whether you roleplay or not in RS, it's only to what extend are you mentally involved (or aware) of the roleplaying.

All I learned in life, I learned on Tip.it

Here I'm talking about the real roleplay, not the fake roleplay that you have just invented, because sorry but that is not roleplay.

Like people on Elder Scrolls do, they role play a lot. I doubt anyone on Runescape does, they'd have to be pretty cool to manage roleplaying on Runescape... :^o

Roleplay has an entirely different meaning where i come from... :shock:

OT: I dont roleplay in rs because why? Why would you pretend to be something else when you can be yourself and have fun in a virtual world...If i wanted to roleplay i would join one of those battle re-enactment clubs (Not really but it is just an example 8-) )

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Just playing the game is playing the role of your character -.- Mining/fighting/woodcutting/etc is all playing those roles. That's what's meant by an rpg.

Actually assuming a role of a different character/person to 'act' out with other people is slightly different :P

I feel roleplaying is more like your second example.

Yes, roleplaying is of course precisely that, playing a role. But I have always seen real roleplaying as going a step further in the sense that people think of a character, they make up a background story, decide what the strengths and weaknesses of the character are and actually play a story.

Now of course that's what you do in runescape, you go on epic :roll: quests, you develop your character, but it's still not what I mean. A real roleplayer (in my opinion ofcourse) makes up his/her own quests, his own story, his own enemies. The way I see a real roleplayer is more like a dungeons and dragons player then a runescape player.

Wether you make up a story yourself or not, you are playing a strange role compared to real-life, so playing runescape is roleplaying. And yet, I still feel it's not the same.

When playing runescape, you follow a set story. Runescape gives a huge amount of freedom regarding your preferred playstyle, but if you're questing for example, everything is set up and you follow the story. I never roleplay in quests, I never make up a story when questing, training or pk'ing, I just do it. ThatÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôs what IÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôm trying to get at, itÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôs a way of playing the game, the difference between just trying get those lvlÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôs to show off and training your strength because you have been raised as a barbarian.

Myself, I believe not that many people in Runescape truly roleplay, I know I donÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôt because I think Runescape is just not cut out for it. Ofcourse if you really want to, you can roleplay in any game, a fps for all I care, but I believe the real roleplaying should just be left to the geeks that play dnd (not a insult, since I'm one of them :lol: ).

Heh, it just depends on your view. Dork is right, since you are playing the role of someone else, but like I hopefully made clear in my post, I see roleplaying as going further then that. But just so you know, technically he is right. :wink:

best-guide-ever.jpg

technically he is right.

What is know to us as roleplay is certainly not what he has described. I see no point in continuing to argue about this, it's just a debate of definition, the people who regard the word roleplay as something different than it's actual used meaning simply need to get their facts right.

2480+ total

A role-playing game is a type of game in which the participants assume the roles of their character and collaboratively create stories.

What's everyone's views on roleplay, is it important for you, do you roleplay in Rs?

Personally, I don't roleplay a lot, and in Runescape I think they totally neglected the roleplay, since there's no guild system or anything to encourage it.

Hmm.... I find people roleplay in different ways... Take WoW for example... On a RP server roleplaying gets taken very seriously... I don't actually understand what the aim is though ?

Pretend that your character is real and your imagination is the limit?

But to your question... I think roleplaying is rather silly from what I've heard of it, and I don't think there's much to runescape to actually roleplay about.

Well, I try to roleplay my character, Captain Macario Caddogan (Derived from the fact my character's "history" is heavy in pirating, as well as my name, MC_Comix_Yo)

However, roleplaying in RuneScape is just too hard. People just aren't as used to it as in, say, a D&D game. People are used to "Hey, I'm going to look up a quest guide on Tip.It real fast." People are just used to "Sell 1k Lobs!" RuneScape, in my eyes, is now just an MMOG. It lost the RP a long time ago.

blackmbnaval,Mc%20Comix%20Yo.gif

Mc%20Comix%20Yo.gif