Guitar Hero/Rock Band Discussion thread

Karmastocracy

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At times. I just like the on-disc songs from GH3 more than Rock Band.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

I'm really not that good compared to a lot of people :(

Went back to career songs today... started out with Knights of Cydonia, since I had been close to FCing it a while ago... after a few embarrassing runs, I got the FC for 8th place, missing an easy squeeze that could've had me in 5th....

[hide=Knights of Cydonia]KnightsOfCydonia.png[/hide]

Moved on to Cult of Personality from there, wanted to improve the tier... the single-digit miss runs got discouraging though, when a -2 was followed by a -9 (with a better score)... after that, I kept making stupid mistakes and didn't have any good runs from there...

[hide=Cult of Personality]CultOfPersonality.png[/hide]

To actually get something new, I went to Welcome to the Jungle, which I've consistently -1ed for AGES, and finally was able to pull off a FC, though the score was nothing great... I might try for a ReFC to see if I can squeeze it at all...

[hide=Welcome to the Jungle]WelcomeToTheJungle-1.png[/hide]

Nothing else to report, hopefully I'll do something interesting soon :?

saidinwotsmall2zo.jpg

Add your blog to the BlogScape Index!

SaidinWoT can now be tracked easily on weekends - Erm, maybe when I start playing again.

Levels do not measure intelligence OR maturity.

I really need to learn how to use select to activate star power its the reason i have not really been going for score as tilting is not consistant enough to even get the paths done let alone squeeze

Tomorrow ill upload my updated scores to score hero should move me up a lot of places

Ah. If only I could report a five star on the 8th tier to you guys. Sadly I can't, as my explorer strumbar has become old and used, and thus double strums constantly. I could put up with it, but for right now I'm not.

i r tink tht a11 ppl shud use g00d gr@m3r since g00d gr@m3r is ftw.

Ah. If only I could report a five star on the 8th tier to you guys. Sadly I can't, as my explorer strumbar has become old and used, and thus double strums constantly. I could put up with it, but for right now I'm not.

Does it double strum when you up-strum and down-strum? Or just for one? Either way, it's extremely annoying when that happens and you can't play songs with strumming that's too fast for single-strumming.

Might as well post my score for One while I'm at it. I've been having troubles passing FSA w/o SP, so I'll try again a bit later...

oneexpert96585888dk6.jpg

FMAsig.jpg

[If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

It only double strums on down-strums, but I couldn't upstrum an entire song if my life depended on it.

And nice One score, by the way.

Ahh, I had the same problem. You should try to get a new one ASAP, because I simply up-strummed all possible songs and by the time I got a new guitar it took me about a week to get used to alt-strumming again :(

FMAsig.jpg

It only double strums on down-strums, but I couldn't upstrum an entire song if my life depended on it.

Ahh, I had the same problem. You should try to get a new one ASAP, because I simply up-strummed all possible songs and by the time I got a new guitar it took me about a week to get used to alt-strumming again :(

Speaking of alt-strumming, I still have no ability to do it. I think I may be the only person that plays completely down-strumming. (except for the really fast notes)

Any method to "learn" alt-strumming? I tried on a few songs, but failed horribly.

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

I downstrum on some songs, alt-strum on others. (for example, for most of One, I downstrum, hence my problem getting 5-star on that song) On Rock You Like a Hurricane, I mostly alt-strum. But thats just me. I suggest you go through the songlist and find what you like to alt-strum.

Speaking of alt-strumming, I still have no ability to do it. I think I may be the only person that plays completely down-strumming. (except for the really fast notes)

Any method to "learn" alt-strumming? I tried on a few songs, but failed horribly.

I'd play Miss Murder, it's a good song to get used to the alt-strumming rhythm. I just keep counting 1,2,3,4 (usually changes depending on the time signature) in my head, where 1 and 3 are the up-strums (for me) and 2 and 4 are the down-strums, for you it'd be vice versa. It's also helpful if you accent your strums, like when you're about to down-strum do it harder so that you don't lose the beat in your head. You can also do songs like My Name is Jonas (the bridge section is good alt-strum practice) and Barracuda if you want to get better at gallops. Though it really just develops over time as you alt-strum more songs. Don't get rid of your single-strumming though, a strong thumb is just as beneficial as a strong alt-strum.

I'm good at guitar (5 starred everything except RTTH 4*), and I'm really good at drums (5* everything except RTTH 4*). I have lots of DLC, and I prefer drums.

Lol I haven't even 5* all the songs on drums on Hard (RTTH, WGFA), and I'm stuck at (Don't Fear) The Reaper on Expert :(

FMAsig.jpg

I'd play Miss Murder, it's a good song to get used to the alt-strumming rhythm. I just keep counting 1,2,3,4 (usually changes depending on the time signature) in my head, where 1 and 3 are the up-strums (for me) and 2 and 4 are the down-strums, for you it'd be vice versa. It's also helpful if you accent your strums, like when you're about to down-strum do it harder so that you don't lose the beat in your head. You can also do songs like My Name is Jonas (the bridge section is good alt-strum practice) and Barracuda if you want to get better at gallops. Though it really just develops over time as you alt-strum more songs. Don't get rid of your single-strumming though, a strong thumb is just as beneficial as a strong alt-strum.

Ok, Thanks I think I'll try that. ::'

Speaking of a strong thumb, ever since I started playing GH, I've grown a little knob on my thumb from constantly strumming. I can also pop my thumb in and out of its socket, which I couldn't do beforehand. :lol:

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

[hide=quote tree o_o]

[/hide]

Speaking of a strong thumb, ever since I started playing GH, I've grown a little knob on my thumb from constantly strumming. I can also pop my thumb in and out of its socket, which I couldn't do beforehand. :lol:

LOL WTF :o

FMAsig.jpg

[hide=quote tree o_o]

[/hide]

LOL WTF :o

That's kinda gross :lol:

I don't alt-strum in Miss Murder except for the 4 oranges in some parts (and I think one other part that I can't remember), and I've FC'ed it.

I'd actually say that the best way to learn alt strumming is to play Easy/Medium songs and ONLY alt strumming. Then move to harder songs. I also need to mention that I only alt strum on gallops and faster note sequences.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

I may have misunderstood the recent obsession with alt-strumming, but the majority of the top players do not alt-strum entire songs... there have been many threads on scorehero about people 'needing to learn to alt-strum entire songs to become better', and suddenly the best of the best pour in to say that they only alt-strum when they need to. Just to clear that up :| If that's not what it was about, ignore me :)

My news today is very pleasing indeed :)

This morning, I went for a Knights of Cydonia ReFC, because I had actually managed to squeeze in the fast parts (pure luck, just so you all understand that lol), and could thus potentially claim first. After choking on 4 runs that had 1st place potential (and one ReFC with a lower score than my original FC), I moved on to Holiday in Cambodia, simply because I hadn't tried the intro in a very long time. After a number of tries, I got through the intro with just an overstrum, but had to go to school, so I literally left the game paused through my school day, because I had never been so lucky with the intro. When I unpaused when I got home, star power went off instantly (Les Paul's are evil with their tilt censors). Determined to replicate my performance, I tried for a while, and managed an intro FC! That should've been a FC by default... the last time I messed up beyond the intro in HiC was ages ago... and yet, I choked. I FCed the intro again... choked in the exact same spot. 8 Intro FCs, 8 chokes, and nice annoying gaps between each intro FC.

So I moved on to Rock You Like A Hurricane just for the sake of it... I had an excellent run going, and then suddenly major choke... 28 notes from the end, I was strumming too slow, and completely screwed up the run. However, it was still an improved score, so I decided to keep it!

[hide=Rock You Like A Hurricane]RockYouLikeAHurricane.png[/hide]

At this point, the lack of FCs was depressing, because I was so close to two. As such, I moved on to a third song that I had been very close on - Black Sunshine. I've never particularly enjoyed this song's beginning, so having to restart a few times was a serious pain, but after just a few runs, with a terrible score that I need to improve, I had it:

[hide=Black Sunshine]BlackSunshine.png[/hide]

After a break for playing Halo with friends and doing stuff in the real world ( :shock: ) I came back and just decided to try Stricken's solo in practice. While I had FCed it once before, and had hit each 'section' a number of times, I had *never* been consistent on it. My first run in practice, FCed the solo as if my fingers had always known exactly what to do. Played it and choked horribly a number of times, but every single time I made it to the solo (3 times before my FC), I FCed the solo perfectly... Finally got past my choking, and pulled out another FC:

[hide=Stricken]Stricken.png[/hide]

Having managed two FCs that had eluded me for ages, I decided that Holiday in Cambodia would be taken down tonight. After a -4 run and an even more depressing -1 run, I finally ReFCed the intro, and proceeded to not choke :D

[hide=Holiday in Cambodia]HolidayInCambodia.png[/hide]

And then randomly on the side, two bonus track reduxes of little mention:

[hide=Generation Rock]Decided to try my hand at squeezing, and reaffirmed my hatred for reverse tick squeezing...

GenerationRock-1.png[/hide]

[hide=FCPREMIX]No, not a FC... Besides stupid mistakes, I still can't do the fast strumming bit, and I *always* miss the 2nd to last star power phrase (and thus the last activation), even though I hit the two similar non-SP phrases earlier in the song perfectly...

FCPREMIX.png[/hide]

So yay, I actually told a story this time rather than just posting scores :D

Edit: All this put me in 56th on XBL and 84th (for Xbox) on ScoreHero. By sheer coincidence, I'm exactly 1000 points behind rank 55 on XBL

saidinwotsmall2zo.jpg

SaidinWoT can now be tracked easily on weekends - Erm, maybe when I start playing again.

I rarely alt strum too only on sections that require it

Working on one at the moment but keep choking in the darkness riff so my top score is only 420k or so i should be able to fc everything up to fast solo a and most things past it but keep choking

Speaking of choking im close to a cities on flame fc can finally do part of it i could not do before but choke around the last star power

Also close to re fcing jukebox hero with a decent score but choke about 20 notes from the end

I really want top 10 im dont speak but again just keep messing up yesterday i missed the last two notes on a good run which would have improved my score a few points. Currently ranked 28th for it

So I was playing online and fc'ed paranoid against a guy in a match. I decided to do it in career for my 2nd fc ever (my only fc is Closer >.<). Managed to get a -4, -3, and then 3 -1s before giving up...

Decided to then go for two other fcs, Slow Ride and Cities. I choked and got a -2 on slow ride. Screwed up on cities, got a -10. Then I had to go to sleep. Oh well, i'll try again later today.

Today's progress (weekends are fun...):

Started off with Hier Kommt Alex... after a few chokes, I decided I'd rather attempt I'm In The Band, as the last time I played it, I choked horribly. The song is evil for squeezing, so the score isn't that great (nearly 3k off witwix's 1st), but another FC for me!

[hide=I'm In The Band]ImInTheBand.png[/hide]

From here, it was time to go back to Hier Kommt Alex... after a few more chokes of epic evilness, I got the FC...

[hide=Hier Kommt Alex]HierKommtAlex.png[/hide]

I decided to go for something more difficult, and My Curse was sitting without the 5 gold stars I wanted it to have, so I played. And played. And played. -1s galore, chokes galore, epic fail galore. And then, the FC run came, and it turned out to be in 3rd on XBL and 4th across all platforms :shock: Best rank for a first FC of any on disc song for me... (Coldplay tracks can't be beat with 1st FC 1sts...)

[hide=My Curse]MyCurse-2.png[/hide]

Convinced that I could make most of my bonus songs golden by the end of the day, I moved on to Nothing For Me Here, which had a score of 237k sitting on it for ages. I forgot to mention that through all these FCs, my green fret was cutting off randomly (the evil of Les Pauls...), which only made FCs that much more difficult. Nothing For Me Here is where that fret ruined me... I got a -1 run, with the -1 being due to that green, and from then on, failed to FC again... a lot of the chokes were my own fault, but there were enough due to the green that it wasn't worth it :( Ended up still boosting the score by 40k with that -1, though

[hide=Nothing For Me Here]NothingForMeHere.png[/hide]

Bonus songs don't contribute to XBL rank, but they do to ScoreHero rank... I'm now 74th on there :D

Songs near FC:

Rock You Like A Hurricane (evil Solo 3 chokes...)

Black Magic Woman (Need to get the fast strumming bit down so that I don't overstrum...)

Cult of Personality (Slowly becoming more and more consistent)

Don't Hold Back (Just depends on how many chokes I'm willing to endure in pursuit of the FC)

Down N' Dirty (Hate playing this song, choke randomly...)

Mauvais Garcon (100% with overstrum must be fixed >_>)

Nothing For Me Here (demonic green button)

Helicopter (-1 run on my only play of it in the last 3 months means I shouldn't have that much of a problem)

Monsters (I either hit the solo flawlessly and choke randomly afterwords, or miserably fail the solo and 100% the rest of the song...)

All in all, if I can claim all those FCs, I'll have 63! Of the remaining songs, Take This Life and Number of the Beast would be the two most likely to get me to 65, and from there I'm not sure how many more would come... FCPREMIX, possibly.... The Way It Ends would take major build up of stamina... Raining Blood... eek

Don't expect a TTFAF or One FC out of me ;) But I might actually attempt 65/70 FCs... (54/70 right now)

saidinwotsmall2zo.jpg

Fixed my strumbar! WD-40 can do wonders Im convinced. Havent really played much, have some homework, but had a random -6 run on talk dirty to me, but I didnt go any further than that.

Saidin, to fix that green fret problem, take a rubber band and hook it on the strap nub thats on the neck to the strap nub that's straight down from the neck one (below the start/back buttons). Make sure it's tight, that should fix it.

I had to read that five or six times before I understood what you were saying :lol:

I'll have to try that tomorrow, as my blue button has been screwing with me for ages. I was going to get a second guitar, but if your fix works I might not fork over the $70, with GHWT coming out and all.

p2gq.jpg