Tip.It Times Presents: Letters to the Editor 17 June 2007

MPM

I also kind of expected responses from the editor. Anyway, I agree with the first letter completely. However, in my opinion the second one is just stupid:

Would you laugh at a blind man for walking into a pole? I would think twice about anyone so cruel (to the blind man), so how's the fool's any different?

For anybody that's wondering, he's referring to this topic. And, as I said in that topic, a handicapped person is definitely not the same as a stupid idiot, especially in the case of the hunter crossbow or any other scam. Let me quote from what I said in page 2 of that topic:

I don't understand why people believe that scamming is right if your victim is stupid. Isn't that like throwing someone handicapped off his wheelchair and watch him crawl?

No, it isn't.

Firstly, the victims in the 'scamming' case get to choose whether or not they want to buy the hunter bow, or even read the topic, while in the wheelchair example the person is pushed off.

Secondly, in the 'scamming' case the dumb idiot is choosing not to read the front page, and choosing not to double-check the name of the bow. In the wheelchair example, the handicapped person's predicament isn't because of his own laziness or bad choices.

Therefore, it's more like showing a page reading 'Climb off if you want to' to a person that's in a wheelchair because he fell asleep with a cigarette and it burnt his leg (or something).

So, either the guy that sent the letter just didn't bother to read the second page of the topic, or just chose to completely ignore me and the point that most of the other posters on that topic were making.

Take a look at any major newspaper's Letters to the Editor section. The Editor doesn't answer the letters from readers. The letters are for readers to share their opinions with other readers.

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

I agree with the 12pure34 (2 posts before mine). Another thing is not reading the updates or checking the second trade window has nothing to do with iq its just common laziness. luring is a different story, however with the same ending jagex has so many warnings about he wilderness especially now with the new trench and warnings if you are to lazy to read that you lose all your items its your fault. Also laughing at a blind man is very different and is not a analogy suitable for this topic blind people cant help being blind. whereas you cant accidentaly not be shown the wildy ditch. Even though i strongly disagree with luring and scamming people have to look into the reality that it is impossible to completely rid anything..games, the world etc of these kinds of people and read things carefully.

A blind man?! That was the worst analogy I've ever heard!

Here's why: Unless that blind man put his eyes out, then it wasn't his fault. But when there are so many things to prevent scamming, to prevent accidents in the wilderness, it is often the person's fault.

Now that's not always the case, and when it isn't those people scammed do deserve our sympathy, but I have no obligation to sympathize for someone who walks right into something they could have prevented. Taking responsibility is hard, but it is often their fault.

In terms of people ranting, it is something you must deal with when people are ranting on about nothing. On the converse side, it is Runescape players and tip.it's responsibility as players of the game to give feedback. For the fact of the matter is that if we all just accepted your point of view then we wouldn't progress at all! If no one ranted, Jagex as well as those who make suggestions wouldn't have access to a great pool of ideas coming from those rants.

Sleeping-in-cushionhigh.jpg

So, either the guy that sent the letter just didn't bother to read the second page of the topic, or just chose to completely ignore me and the point that most of the other posters on that topic were making.

I am glad you done your research, but however, I fail to see how you managed to miss my response in that very same topic:

I agree it's probably foolish to play the game without looking at updates. However, it doesn't mean that stupid people deserve to be punish for their stupidity. If anything, we should feel bad for them for not being as smart as the rest of us, not trying to take advantage of their stupidity.

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=665 ... c&start=20

In all honesty though, I don't understand why are anyone trying to prove my point wrong or their point right. My letter was a plea, never an argument. If your find my plea weak, ignore it at your whim, but PLEASE stop trying to attack me for my kindness to the weak.

All I learned in life, I learned on Tip.it

I agree it's probably foolish to play the game without looking at updates. However, it doesn't mean that stupid people deserve to be punish for their stupidity. If anything, we should feel bad for them for not being as smart as the rest of us, not trying to take advantage of their stupidity.

Is it really stupidity? Or is it just laziness?

I is a genius!

both articles were a good read surprisingly

For the first article i also find it real anoying whenever there is an update there is always rants. Especially with the update of dark bow since it was something lots of ppl have been wanting for a while but there are still so many rants about it and the things ppl were ranting about was just gossip saying its overpowered even though most ppl didnt try the bow themselves

Worst part of all is since all updates get flamed and ranted about the updates that actually need to be changed dont get noticed like the fletching update it just seems like another rant.

In all honesty though, I don't understand why are anyone trying to prove my point wrong or their point right. My letter was a plea, never an argument. If your find my plea weak, ignore it at your whim, but PLEASE stop trying to attack me for my kindness to the weak.

I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just disagreeing and expressing my opinion. Isn't that exactly what you're doing?

My point is that in that example anybody that buys the hunter crossbow for howevermany million gold can't argue that they were scammed. After all, the person said 'hunter xbow'. They can't complain later, because it was their own fault for falling for it.

I also think that it's their won fault for being stupid. Intelligence might have a bit to do with genes, but IMO the greatest part of it is because of pure hard work. Anybody who refuses to look at the front page out of sheer laziness can't expect to be felt sorry for because they are lazy. On the other hand, a disadvantaged person can expect to be felt sorry for because it isn't their fault that they are in that condition.

Meh, I'll just write a letter :)

Yeah I think some of us did judge you too harshly. You got your point out and that's all that matters.

I is a genius!

To all those people who think:

'It was his fault, so I should not care about him'

If one of your firends falls because he tripped over his own shoe and broke both of his legs, would you feal sorry for him/her? I mean, it was his/her fault, not the ground or anything. And if you think about saying to me 'well, were not talking about breaking bones', its not about that, its if you would feal sorry for that person or not. There is no 'i would a little', because you would be fealing sorry for that person, yet, not enough for it to actually count. So think about that for a bit before you respond.

Don't ask me for what I do for fun.

Anyways, what I do for fun (besides RS) is to tear up assignments I get and then try to re-create them. It's so much fun =D.

(I also like differrent things.(and purple ))

Hasaple2.png

Hasaple2.png

If one of your firends falls because he tripped over his own shoe and broke both of his legs, would you feal sorry for him/her? I mean, it was his/her fault, not the ground or anything. And if you think about saying to me 'well, were not talking about breaking bones', its not about that, its if you would feal sorry for that person or not. There is no 'i would a little', because you would be fealing sorry for that person, yet, not enough for it to actually count. So think about that for a bit before you respond.

At first I would due to 'what if that happened to me' human nature. But if I actually thought about it, I'd reckon that if they knew their shoelaces weren't tied and they didn't bother to tie them or they didn't bother to check, no, not really. Call me cold-hearted, but the same thing applies to people who don't tie their shoelaces just as much as it applies to hunter xbow scamming and people who don't fasten their seatbelts before driving.

If I were to break my own legs out of laziness, or not bother to check if my shoelaces were tied, tough luck.

Now that you've given me an extreme example:

Joe is a lazy 12th-grader. He only just manages to pass most of his exams, tests, etc. One day his science teacher gives him an assignment that will count for the bulk of his 4th term's mark. He is feeling lazy and he decides to google for pre-made assignments. He gets one and prints it. Next day, he hands in his assignment. Fast forward a year. Joe failed 12th grade because the assignment he got off the internet had all the answers incorrect.

Would you feel sorry for Joe? *puppyeyes* No? You cruel, heartless, savage beast!

Well, it's the same principle. He was lazy and he failed because of it.

If I understand that correctly, then it appears that somehow all those illegal stuff is acceptable in our community, as long as the victim is below certain IQ, or that if the victim is below certain IQ, him/her deserve none of our sympathy.

I was recently scammed. I made a mistake. Forgot to check the 2nd Trade screen. Never told anyone, because 5 sec after the trade, I realized I forgot to check it, making it my own fault.

We have

-The Security of Stronghold

-10.000x a warning to check what you are trading. To know prices. To not get scammed.

If you just watch out, there is no reason to be scammed EVER!

We warn people. We teach them not to be scammed. We help them! I can't double check every trade for them. But I can help them with advice And they throw it all away. Our work, our advice. Do not follow it and end up being scammed. No! You do not deserve any sympathie. Go whine to your friends. Do not post about it. Do not beg free stuff. Do not ask for advice. If you do not listen to it, you do not deserve it!

oh my god thank you. the letter went completely off topic with the blind men thing. blind men deserve pity if something happens to them and they can't see it, because they can't prevent it. but people in runescape can prevent scamming, they just choose not to, so when people take advantage of their laziness, they have no right to complain, and they deserve to lose every gp they lost. if you take the time to read up on prices of items and read the second trade window, there is no possible way to be scammed. as for people who get hacked, they do deserve some sympathy, depending on how they got hacked. if their friend knows all the anmswers to their recoveries, and finds out their password by using them, that deserves sympathy. but for those people who get keyloggers, the only sites that have key loggers are usually gold selling websites. if you ever happen to visit those, then always run a spyware, virus scan to check for any suspicious programs downlooaded. you can't say that i don't have these programs, because any computer that has internet access is able to get free software to protect their computer. once again, if you don't use these things, you deserve to lose everything you did, and you should learn from your mistakes. that's just what i think.

rare%20ghoul2.gif

rare%20ghoul2.gif

To all those people who think:

'It was his fault, so I should not care about him'

i would not feel sorry for my friend if that happened. and it has happened once. my friend went off a ramp really fast on his bike, without a helmet, and guess what happened. he tipped over and banged his head on the pavement. i only felt sorry for him because his dad said "stop crying. i've had much worse falls than that and i never cried" that was something he couldn't prevent, and i felt sorry for him for it.

rare%20ghoul2.gif

rare%20ghoul2.gif

I think it's very lame that everyone seems to complain over range being underpowered, and when Jagex first release a strong weapon for range they complain over it being overpowered. People complain over the fact that the Dark bow can't be fletched like other bows, but if they take a look on Dragon armor/weapons, it can't be smithed, and the Abbysal whip cant be smithed either, so stop complaining and be happy about Jagex doing some high level updates to.

DamageIncTagBW.png

im not a mean person, but i hang arond on f2p worlds near the varrok stone circle.if some1 dies under lv 20, i find them and give them there stuff back. if lv 20 and over, i only keep it if its good :)

tell me if you think im a good person. i think i am :D

First Times post, second news post :P Think I've done one of everything that happens weekly now :)

\'

I might write a letter in, but I'm not good at writing letters and such.

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg

Today, i decided to peek in on the rants section of the official forums, today is the day the dark bow and dragon arrows update occurred. In case you were wondering, as of now there are 429,737 topics in the rants section, and only 92,598 in the compliments section, which shows the kind of community this game has, for the most part. I clicked in to find seven separate topics saying how the dark bow has single-handedly ruined Runescape. Since then it has died down but now there are still four poorly written topics.

-------------------

The rants forum is used to complain about aspects of the game to make it better. The compliments forum does nothing.

What really bothers me is the fact that this happens for every update. A large group of players hop on, some before even trying the update, and shoot it down before it gets off the runway. When i was a member, i played and for the most part, enjoyed every update that I meet the requirements for. Of course most of the other players said they all sucked. Now i am free-to-play and am forced to watch this never ending war from the sidelines. If its not a new skill or extremely high leveled update, it isn't welcome it seems.

--------------

Yeah, cause a quest with level 10 construction requirement is gonna be awesome.

Contrary to popular belief, Jagex isn't trying to hurt us with each new update. I enjoyed the new looks of the towns, and i also like reading about the new quests and mini games. Many players complain about the "quality" of the updates, which cannot meet their high hopes of that super hard quest that they want. But guess who is the first to complain when there isn't an update each week, the same guys. I guess what I'm saying is, people need to take a step back from the game after an update, and think if its really as bad as it seems, and if it is, they could write a well thought-out discussion of why its isn't beneficial to the game and what could be changed to make it better.

------------------------

Lol, the low level noobs are the one complaining about no updates. The high levels like no updates because that means that jagex is thinking of quality over quantity.

Fellow Forum Member,

Free Steel1

I would put a cool link here but I don't know how.