Scoo13y's Barrows guide

scoo13y

Hey all, this is my first ever guide, which I wrote last year for my fellow clan members, so I thought i'd share it with you guys. It's really for barrows beginners, so if you are experienced or an expert, please do not criticise me too harshly, but I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it :)

Most people are scared of the idea of barrows, mainly because it can be a very dangerous minigame if you don't know exactly what you're doing, what items to take and how to navigate your way through the tunnels.

What many people don't realise, is that barrows can be a very simple and quick way to get good exp and amazing cash. Personally, I've gained about 8 magic levels from going there, and around 30m cash from chest rewards. That's why I'm making a guide for all the clan to use if they need some quick cash and fancy a challenge. 8)

Where is it?

The Barrows are in the far South East of Mort Myre Swamp, and there are numerous ways to get there:

The map below shows how to follow these routes.

Route 1: If you cannot teleport to Canifis or use the ectophial, then you have a long journey. You must run to the Patardermus temple from varrock, then through the gate into the swamp, and pick up one of the 2 routes shown on the map. I have not labelled the route for this as it is basic map reading for you, but extra time for me. =P

Route 2: If you cannot teleport to Canifis (Kharyll teleport in the Ancient magicks spellbook), then I suggest using the "Red route" - use an ectophial (Ghosts Ahoy quest required) to teleport to the ectofuntus, then follow the map from here.

Route 3 *Quickest route* If you can teleport to Kharyll (By Ancient teleporting or using a house portal) then the "Yellow route" is definitely the way to go. Simply run around to the south of the pub, down the trapdoor (In search of the Myreque quest required), head down the passage, through the secret door in the wall, and out into the swamp to the south. Follow the map from there.

routezf6.jpg

Recommendations:

I suggest completing the following quests before starting The Barrows:

Ghosts Ahoy (Gives Ectophial as a reward- Teleporting straight to the ectofuntus- shown on map)

In Search of Myreque

In Aid of Myreque (This unlocks Burgh de Rott area- with a very handy bank)

55 Slayer and as high magic as possible (For the Magic Dart Spell)

Following the Route:

Note: Take fairly good melee armour to run through the swamps, where you will encounter mid levelled leeches, zombies and ghasts, which can destroy your food, so I don't recommend taking food with you through the swamp.

Use your ectophial to teleport to the ectofuntus, making sure to refill it by using it on the ectofuntus. Then, follow the highlighted route in order to get to The Hollows, where you may catch a free boat ride which brings you North East of Burgh de Rott, away from any danger.

Next, follow the route to get to Burgh de Rott, open the gate, and head south and slightly east to get to the bank. Here, take out the following items:

Ectophial -a must. Always make sure you have a filled Ectophial, ready to one-click teleport you back to the Ectofuntus incase you get into trouble.

Magic Dart Runes and Slayer Staff- I suggest about 300 Deaths and 1200 Minds to begin with.

Spade- In order to get into the barrows

Good Magic Armour- Full Mystic or preferably Full Ahrims. *Note: IF you are mage 70+, it is advised that you just take Melee armour to mage in, as all the brothers (except ahrim) are very weak to magical attacks, and thus melee armour works fine to mage in- saving you plenty of inventory space to fill with whatever you fancy) =] ~~~ Thank you, dkjestrup ~~~

Melee armour- Whatever you use for combatting really- I use barrows armour, but rune should be fine. Take any good Shield, cape, Ring of Life, and Glory or Holy Symbol (Whatever you can afford). *NOTE: I have brought Guthans here, without the spear. The reason for this is that I did not want to take full rune at the time (due to a low-ish defence level) but was not a high enough combat level to safely bring a spear*

Melee Weapon- D scimmy is advised, or an abyssal whip if you have one.

Ranging Weapon- Xbow, Crystal Bow or Mage short with high level arrows

8/9 Prayer Pots (4 Dose)

8/9 Food (Monkfish or Better) *If you have a guthan set, bring this to heal with- saves lots of inventory space*

Stat Restore Pot (Explained Later)

Here's a Pic of what I take, adjust accordingly to suit your strengths/wealth:

inventoryvy6.jpg

Tombs:

brothersij9.png

Methods:

I find the following order of killing the brothers the best, but it isn't essential as to what order you go in:

1. Verac (Meleer):

Verac has recently been updated to have his set effect, which is to hit through prayer :shock: However, prayer helps lower the amount of damage you receive from him, so here is how you should kill him.

The first thing you want to do is make sure you have enough prayer points to begin with, I usually drink about 2 doses before i fight him, giving me atleast 40 Prayer Points. This should easily be enough to kill him with.

Next, equip a mixture of mage and melee armour, but predominantly mage, I usually equip mage head and top, but melee legs. This should provide you with a positive mage attack bonus, but a good melee def bonus to stop him hitting too high. Equip your slayer staff, set magic dart autocast and dig with your spade on top of the mound to enter Verac's tomb.

Now, when you're inside, put melee prayer on and search the sarcophagus immediately. Don't hang around too long, as your prayer drains fast down there. Verac should pop out, unless you get a message saying: "You have found a hidden tunnel, do you want to enter?" Given this message first, always reply no, as this is the entrance to the barrow tunnels, and you need to kill all the brothers before doing so.

Attack Verac with your magic dart spell, and eat food when you need to and drink a dose of prayer pot if your prayer points get too low.

Remember to keep checking you prayer points, drinking a dose or two of prayer restore potion if they get below 15.

Once Verac is dead, climb up the stairs, and head over to Dharok's Tomb.

2. Dharok (Meleer):

The infamous Dharok is possibly the most dangerous brother to kill, duo to his set effect of hitting massive amounts of damage on low health, hitting upwards of 60 damage. XD

The recommended armour to fight Dharok is all mage armour, to kill him swiftly and easily.

When you head over to his tomb, again, like Verac, make sure that before digging into the tomb, that you have around 40 prayer points, as your prayer will have drained after being down in the tomb fighting verac. Make sure you have Magic Dart on autocast, and dig with your spade.

When down there, waste no time in putting your melee prayer on, and searching the Sarcophagus. (Again, don't enter the tunnels if you find the entrance, just walk out and head over to Guthans tomb). Dharok is an easy fight if you just keep watch on your prayer points, drinking a dose of prayer restore potion when your points get below 15. Once he is dead, leave the tomb via the stairs and head over to Guthan's Tomb.

3. Guthan (Meleer)

Guthan is an easy kill, but can be annoying if his set effect hits commonly while you fight him, which heals health according to how much he would hit you if your prayer was off- it makes no difference.

I suggest wearing a piece of melee armour while fighting Guthan, which means his heal special heals him for less health than if you are wearing low defence mage armour.

When you get to Guthans tomb, again, make sure you have around 40 Prayer Points, and that Magic Dart is on autocast, then dig with your spade on top of the mound.

Switch to melee prayer and click on the sarcophagus and Guthan will pop out (same deal with the tunnel message- do not enter yet). Attack Guthan with your Magic Dart spell, but note that he can often take longer to kill than any of the other brothers, as he heals. Sometimes, if you take too long killing Guthan, he will vanish before dieing, leaving a message on the screen: "We'll finish this later". Don't worry, this basically means he's a wimp and can't fight you anymore, and you will notice your kill count increases, as though you have killed him. If this is the case, you don't need to kill him in the tunnels (explained later), just think of it as you killing him. =)

Once Guthan is dead, turn off your prayer, leave the tomb, and head over to Karil.

4. Karil (Ranger):

I need to stress this point: Karil is a ranger, MAKE SURE you have range prayer on while fighting him- I've known many who have died who selected the wrong prayer to fight him with.

Before fighting him, again like with the other brothers, make sure to have around 40 Prayer Points. Also, take note that even though Karil is a ranger with range armour, magic still deals heavy damage to him, so treat him as if he were a meleer (But remember to range pray!)

Dig on the mound, and click on the sarcophagus and Karil will attack you. Just keep a check on your prayer points, and Magic Dart him until he falls, turn your prayer off, and exit the tomb, heading North to Ahrims Tomb.

5. Ahrim (Mage):

Ahrim is a mager who is not deadly with his spells, as he only uses fire wave which hits up to 20. However, AHRIM LOWERS MELEE COMBAT STATS so make sure you have your restore potion to use after you kill him. Don't use the potion whilst you fight him, as he will just lower your stats again, just check to see if you are heavily lowered afterwards and use the potion accordingly.

For your armour and weapon, I suggest removing your head, body and leg armour, and just equipping your range weapon, as you'll notice that magic robes have little, zero or in the case of Ahrim's mage armour, a negative bonus on your range attack. So, equip your range weapon and ammo (If required), make sure you have around 40 prayer points, and dig. Once in his tomb, turn on Magic Prayer, range him until he's dead, then leave, heading to Torag's tomb.

6. Torag (Meleer):

Personally, I find Torag the weakest brother, as he uses a crush attack which rarely hits, as his hammers are weak. Many people fight him without using prayer, so if you're experienced and prefer to eat than drink =P then don't pray on him. However, if you're new to Barrows, I suggest praying on him until you feel confident enough to try it without.

If you want to pray on him, then make sure you have around 40 prayer points, your magic armour and slayer staff equipped, and dig into his tomb.

Switch your melee prayer on and Magic Dart him until he dies, switch off your prayer and leave the tomb.

Well, that should be all of the brothers dead, now onto the tunnels =D

Tunnels:

Whilst checking the brothers' sarcophagii, you should have encountered a message in one of the tomps saying "You have found a hidden tunnel. Do you want to enter?" Make note in which tomb you saw this message, and head back there when you've killed the other brothers. The tomb where this message appeared in relates to which brother you will encounter in the tunnels. Ie) If you saw the message in Dharok's tomb, then Dharok will be in the tunnels.

2 Things to make sure before you enter the tunnels:

1. You equip all of your melee armour and your melee weapon.

2. You have full or high health

If you make sure of the 2 factors above, then you're ready to enter the tunnels.

Head into the tunnel tomb where you encountered the message, and when asked if you want to enter, select yes. You will find yourself in a square room with 4 doors, 1 on each side. The tunnels consist of 9 of these rooms, in a 3 x 3 arrangement. The aim of the tunnels is to make your way through these rooms in order to get to the centre room where you will find your reward chest.

tunnelmap2ml3.jpg

After entering the tunnels, you will appear in one of the four corner rooms. Make a note of which direction your ladder room is for when you return to exit the tunnels. There are a few ways you can do this, such as remembering the route you take in order to get to the chest, then follow the same route back in order to get back to the ladder. However, the way I do this is by checking where the long corridors are, for example, if I check the west door in the room, and find that the corridor leads south, then i know i must be in the very North West room. In this case, the northern door must lead to a corridor heading eastwards, again proving that i must be in the North Western room. I remember where my room is from this, so I know where to head after getting my reward.

The next thing you must do, is find where the open door in your ladder room is. There will only be one, as the other 3 doors will be locked. Head through this door.

NOTE: Every time you open a door, a monster will spawn next to you, either kill it, or ignore it and carry on.

NOTE II: After opening a door, your 6th brother (from the tomb which you found the tunnel) may appear. When this happens, you must IMMEDIATELY drink your prayer potion, switch on the correct prayer, equip suitable armour and weapon, and kill them following the methods mentioned above. Once this final brother has been killed, you will not encounter them in the tunnels (Freedom! =D )

--> There are safe spots also you can use to your advantage in the tunnels making fighting Verac, Dharok, Guthan and Torag incredibly easier, with no prayer pots required, if you wish to save them. The spots I have found are in all of the Long Corridors- you will notice rocks which you will have to zig zag around, all you need to do if a meleer brother gets the jump on you when in one of these corridors is position one of these rocks between you and the brother by running behind one of them. You are now safe to mage them over this obstacle :D Here is an example:

safespotnx6.png

There is another similar rock section in the very North Eastern room in the tunnels- The ONLY room (excluding corridors) I am aware of to safely do this. You will notice a rock pile to the South Eastern corner of the room. There is a section of rock that juts out to the West towards the centre of the room. You can guide your brother to get trapped behind this rock pile (or run there yourself) and safely mage them from behind there. MAKE SURE YOU ONLY DO THIS AGAINST A MELEER (Verac, Dharok, Guthan or Torag).

Here is an example of how to do this:

neroomsafespotwq5.png

Your ladder can also be used as a safe spot against a Meleeing brother, all you need do is position the ladder between yourself and the brother. The ladder acts similar to the rocks, and can be maged through but not ran through, acting as a handy obstacle- no prayer needed! (Thanks for this information, Arr0w Dodg3r!)

Here is an example of using the Ladder as an obstacle:

laddersafespothl8.png

Please note that while you use these safe spots you may get attacked by nearby monsters, however, you are still able to kill the brother without having to worry that "You are already under attack". Just take the hits from the monster and concentrate on killing the brother first. :)

Take advantage of these features, by either heading over to the North Eastern room, and constantly going back and forth through the door at the Northern end of the room leading to the Long corridor, and back into the room. By doing this, you can hide behind the rocks in EITHER of the two areas, whichever side of the door your brother spawns at. Hope this helps :D

NOTE III: If you do not encounter your 6th brother at any point in the tunnels, he will always be at the chest, and will attack you as soon as you open it. Use this time to your advantage, and prepare yourself before clicking on the chest, ready to kill them, grab your reward, and leave.

Back to the tunnel guide...

Imagine you started in the north Western room, and your open door was the eastern one, you would emerge in the smaller room, from here, there is only one door to go through to advance, which is straight in front of you. Go through this door, and you will appear in the outer centre room.

If you find yourself lost, you can always tell that you are in one of these rooms, as they only have 3 doors. Also to note, the door leading to the chest room (which could be locked) is ALWAYS opposite the wall with no door. So rather than clicking on any door, you know whereabouts the chest room is by finding this door. If you hover over this door, and have the option to open it, then you may do so, or if you would prefer to get a higher Kill Count (Covered later on in the Guide), then you can remember where the door is and come back to it later when you are ready for your reward. However, if the only option you get on the chest room door is "Examine", then this door is locked, and you aren't in the correct room.

If this is the case, then head into the next smaller room, and then through the door into the next corner room. Again, considering your ladder room was in the North Western room, and you have headed East, you will now be in the North Eastern room. You will need to head South from here, through the smaller room and into the East Central room.

When there, find the door opposite the wall with no door (your chest door) and see if it has the option to open, if so, enter if you are ready, if not, you need to head into the South Central room, failing this, the West Central room, all the while searching the chest door to see if you can open it. Here is an example of such a route:

tunnelexampleex1.png

The Chest Door:

You will know you are at the chest door if you are challenged to answer a puzzle upon opening it. You will need to answer this puzzle correctly before continuing. Failing to answer correctly will move the order of the tunnels, and you will basically have to find the chest room all over again. In other words, take your time and answer correctly :)

There are only 4 puzzles, so you may as well memorize the answers, so you waste little time working out the answer while in the tunnels, as monsters can attack you while you attempt to answer, removing the puzzle screen, making you have to reopen the door, and probably be questioned with a different puzzle. If you haven't memorised the answers to the puzzles, then I advise you kill the nearby monsters to prevent them from attacking you.

Here are the puzzles and answers:

doorpuzzlesjo3.png

Kill Count:

Your Kill Count can determine what reward you get from the chest. It doesn't make a huge difference, so you may not notice a difference in reward if you get 10 Kill Count or 100. You can increase your kill count by killing the monsters in the tunnels (along with the brothers).

Many people are fooled into thinking "If I get a Kill count of 100, I'll have a better chance of getting some Barrows Equipment!"

Please note: The only factor that makes a difference if you get a piece of barrows equipment is the amount of brothers you kill. If you kill all 6 brothers, you have a larger chance of getting a piece of equipment than if you killed 3, for example.

However, if you get a kill count higher than 10 each time, you are GUARANTEED to get something from the chest, whether it is just runes or not, you will get something.

Whenever I barrow, I tend to get a kill cound of 10-20, any more is a waste of food and time.

When you have a kill count you are satisfied with, head to the chest and open it, to reap your reward :D

Opening the Chest:

Please note: Upon opening the chest, you may encounter your 6th brother if you have not killed him yet, so make sure you are prepared for the fight if this is the case.

Once you have opened your chest, obviously check what reward you have gotten. Also make sure that you have enough inventory space to receive your reward, if not, then the items will be dropped to the floor, so always check that, too.

As soon as you open the chest, the screen will begin to shake, and you need to head out of the chest room and back to the ladder room following the same route you took to get to the chest. You will suffer small amounts of damage as you leave, so if you are low on health with no food left, it is advised that you teleport out (with your ectophial) and head back to the barrows.

If you get to your ladder and out of the tomb back into the barrows, try another run, considering you have enough prayer pots, runes and supplies. If not, just head back to Burgh de Rott bank and restock.

It might take a while to do your first few runs, but after 4 or 5, you'll get the hang, and by raking in the profits! :D

I hope this guide helps you, and please post comments, impovements and any questions if you have any :)

Scoob.

runemzammyvest,Scoo13y.gif

*Read & Rate my very own barrows guide*

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=669274&highlight=

1. There are a lot of topics relating to barrows

2. Most players do not pray for every brother, and it is a lot harder to turn a profit that way.

3. Torags/Ahrims is a good idea, I like it

4. The route you took is slow, when compared to using the bar passage from canifis (and Kharyll house portal on ancients)

5. You have way too many runes for a single run, I tend to use 150 at most. You should also have 4 times as many minds as deaths.

nh.jpg

Thanks for your input.

In answer to the route I take, I agree, it is slow. Now I have a canifis teleport in my house, I do take the underground route, and I will edit the route map in due course.

Also, I don't usually take so many runes, the runes in the inventory picture were actually received from multiple chest rewards which I didn't bank. I tend to take 4-500 casts tops, to be on the safe side.

As for the praying on every brother, I prefer to drink than eat :P

Scoob.

Why use guthan armour without the spear. You could then replace a lot of food for some P pots, allowing you to do several trips in 1 go. Without banking. I see your gear, I see your strategy. I am thinking what the hell?

The strategy is all wrong :P sorry, but I have seen WAY! better strategies and guides, so this one is .. just not good enough to compete with the other guides.

Sorry, but this guide needs some mayor research and revamping to get a decent rating.

3/10

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

Just wear melee armour when maging that way u won't need prayer pots.

yeah, hate to flame you but maging in melee armour is definately best. ESPECIALLY if you have 70+ mage (60+ mage with full melee works fine...)

4vr93cy.jpg

Thanks Terly for the best Avatar in TipIt -winks-

12pure34:

That picture was taken a while back, when I didn't have the spear. I received the guthan's armour from chest rewards, so decided to use it on my trips.

As I stated at the very beginning of the guide, this is intended for beginners to barrows, thus I showed maps to get to there. Do you think an experienced barrower wouldn't know where to go? :S

I'm not claiming that this is the best barrow guide out, far from it, but I believe it will help beginners to get to grips with the minigame, develop their own techniques, and use my guide as a base. I do appreciate your reply, but why not make it constructive criticism, tell me where to improve it, what needs added, as I explain at the end of the guide. I do not appreciate all my hard work being shot down without the knowledge of what I need to improve, so please remember that for other guides you post on.

If you could reply with any helpful insights that would help beginners, then could you take a few minutes to help me out? Now that I really would appreciate.

Scoob.

ur pictures doesnt look very well when you put all that white in it, just do private chat on "off" this way youre friends pms wont be shown. and, why do you bring full guthan but no spear? im doing barrows with full guthan allowing me to do 10-15 trips on 2 monks, and about 2-3 dose a chest, i use super att pray from range and super reflex and dds karils, take out that bow and take a nip of youre prayer pot and range ah to death.

then find youre tunnel, dont figth the melee brothers in there coffins as you cannot safe them there (u could do guthan and torag in there coffins, as they are pretty weak, needs no prayer and ur able to heal in the tunnels, just use some monks if they are getting mean!).

ur guide needs some more improvements, but its good for youre first one :)

change pics, use full guthan, and add some more things and it would be a 8/10.

but for now ill give you a 6/10, gl! :thumbsup:

duncan222223

no spaces, 5-2's. its my tanker, kinda quitted main :P

Duncan, I've been through that earlier. Was an old pic where I didn't have the spear, but I've said in the guide that a guthan set with spear is ideal...

And as for the pictures I posted them a while back, but had to quickly edit out the chat, as I said, the guide was originally for my clan, so private chat wasn't really an issue. However, as I copied the entire guide onto here, I had to edit out the pics, and the white covering seemed the best way to do it. :(

W00t! First compliment!

Hehe, thanks matey :)

I know how much effort you put into creating the guide... clearly several hours work. Shame you're not getting a better reponse :(

Lol thanks matey ::' but it was no trouble, as long as people get some useful tips off there, I really don't mind. :)

Very good guide, the only problem I had with it, was that you bring guthan for beginners. I think every beginner should never bring guthan, just incase they die. But still, a good guide.

~Saru

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Very good guide, the only problem I had with it, was that you bring guthan for beginners. I think every beginner should never bring guthan, just incase they die. But still, a good guide.

~Saru

Thank you, appreciate the feedback :)

Yeah, good point. The reason I have Guthans in the inventory is because it's the best armour I had, but didn't feel full rune was good enough along with my defence level at the time.

I'll change the guide soon to reflect this :)

Again, thanks.

Really good guide, I started doing barrows today when i read this guide and it help me out ALOT! Got a barrows item on my second run \'

10/10

barrows drops:Torags legs, Guthans war spear, ahrims hood..all on first day at barrows at only 9 Trips =P --28th June 07

I dont care what every one else has said this is a great guide

because it describes everything for people completely new to

barrows not improving there method of barrowing .

good job =D> .

563rd to 99 mining on 15/08/07

99 Farming

Don't listen to all those silly "your guide stinks because it has white in the pictures" comments and such... Its a very helpful guide especially for the beginning barrower. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

good guide but you should add that, if you have 50 construction, a portal room, and a chapel with an altar(with kharyll portal), then you can use house tab and recharge prayer then use kharyll portal for quick return to barrows. just my extra little tip. good guide 8/10

soldersig.jpg

Well, you dont really need all that many ppots for barrows =/ I used up like 4 when i first started out, I lose about 500k. I sugest you add that ppots are NOT needed for torag and guthan.ide say it takes 2 ppots to get through dharok, karil, ahrim, and verac but thats just me. Also, your guide is a little hard to read with the spacing. If you fix that ill give you a 7/10. Nice job, good guide overall.

Nairage.png

Click on my stats for my no ppot barrows guide