Athiest?

heartless619

Sorry, that was misleading. That wasn't a definition, more of an opinion of what religion tends towards.

Oh gee, he's done it now.

*runs*

Oh snap, I just re-read it and realised how that would sound to a religious person. :P

It's just an opinion folks! No harm meant! :uhh:

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes well a billion people believe in Christianity, I doubt a billion people believe in pink elephants though.

Millions upon millions of flies can't be wrong; Eating [cabbage] is good for you.

Last time I checked, Human-beings outranked flies in intelligence.

Oh boy...

Because there isn't any evidence whatsoever for God, and just because you cannot absolutely disprove something doesn't make it true.

And, in the words of Christopher Hitchens, religion is "violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive towards children."

Actually, the second bit would just make me an anti-theist, but whatever.

Oh, and you spelt atheist wrong.

You cannot ignore all the good religion has done in the world, in the past and nowadays. Ever heard of Christian-Aid? The Salvation Army? The church near me has a 'charity of the week' where they donate a percentage of their collection money to. Churches are always having stalls and festivals to raise money for charities of all different shapes and sizes.

In the past Churches have always focused on helping people in times of conflict. For example in the Irish potato famine they set up soup kitchens for the starving. They aren't all bad news, and it would be wrong to say so.

Yes well a billion people believe in Christianity, I doubt a billion people believe in pink elephants though.

Millions upon millions of flies can't be wrong; Eating [cabbage] is good for you.

Last time I checked, Human-beings outranked flies in intelligence.

However he put a point across, you said there is billions who believe in christianity. So really he puts a point across, albeit a stupid one.

Dolphins are close or even better in intelligence than humans. Maybe we should all follow their example and live our lives in the water, only surfacing for air. So don't try pull an intelligence card, it can always be turned against the person.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

You cannot ignore all the good religion has done in the world, in the past and nowadays. Ever heard of Christian-Aid? The Salvation Army? The church near me has a 'charity of the week' where they donate a percentage of their collection money to. Churches are always having stalls and festivals to raise money for charities of all different shapes and sizes.

In the past Churches have always focused on helping people in times of conflict. For example in the Irish potato famine they set up soup kitchens for the starving. They aren't all bad news, and it would be wrong to say so.

Ok, time to wade into this debate. What benefit do religious charities have over non religious ones? They can be raise as much money I'm sure and they are at least as, if not more, ethical than religious charities.

crunchbag.png

Proud owner of Legends Cape since 10.03.07

Completed Desert Treasure on 21.03.07

First achieved Quest Cape on 14.08.07 at 89 combat

Oh no of course not, religious people have done a lot of good work for various charities and organistions (ignoring the fact that religious charities get considerable benefits compared to non religious ones). But the thing is, you don't need to be a Christian to believe in charity, so why argue against atheism on that basis?

I know you're trying to say that not all Christians are bad, and of course they're not, in fact the majority aren't bad, it's just not a very good argument for Christianity that, "we're not all like that".

The main reason I'm an athiest is because I believe there's a scientific and logical explantion for everything that occurs in the world. Most "miracles" can be explained through simple science.

That explains it perfectly for me.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Just because there are scientific explanations for phenomena within our plane of existence does not mean there isn't a God people.

Man-made Gods can be disproved, for they can contain contradictory properties. The idea that there is a God, the one and only creator and observer of the multiuniverse, however, can not be disproved no matter how hard one tries.

Basically, it's pointless to choose a side. That's like deciding a defendant is guilty without even knowing what the trial's about.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

And who created the forces that work these scientific explanations for so-called miracles?

Surely not God!

I really wouldn't call it an era. It was more of a definitive time period during which dinstinctive characteristics were expressed in similar ways.

Svirnsigscore.gif

Ok, time to wade into this debate. What benefit do religious charities have over non religious ones? They can be raise as much money I'm sure and they are at least as, if not more, ethical than religious charities.

Yes but the Church as illustrated is devoted to charity and provides a large amount of help to people. I'm just saying that the church has acted as a pivotal institution for charity throughout history. What are you talking about "ethical" tell me how the work that Christian Aid does is not ethical? Because that's pretty insulting. I find that the people that have such a problem with Christianity are the ones that have had no experience of it, ever been to Church and listened before? I doubt it.

so why argue against atheism on that basis?

And, in the words of Christopher Hitchens, religion is "violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive towards children."

Tell me how the Church is "violent", "irrational" or "intolerant" in light of what I have just told you. Tell me any examples of this? Because the vast vast majority of Christians don't make a habit of violence.

Where is the all loving God?

[hide]blurb200_lg.jpg[/hide]

Do believe or think you have your own spirit?

I think that before a person is concieved there *spirit* will choose a path

for them, and all the dificulties that will help them grow in spiritual enlightment..

what do you have to say about this Young boy, and why he is there and not here in america or some other 1337 nation?

heartless619.png

IGNORE THESE FOUR WORDS

banneruh3.jpg

for them, and all the dificulties that will help them grow in spiritual enlightment..

what do you have to say about this Young boy, and why he is there and not here in america or some other 1337 nation?

I dont think that boy is being helped reach spiritual enlightenment by that.

And the reason he is not in America or "some other 1337 nation" ( :roll: ) is because he was born there... Are you saying that his spirit chose for him to live there?

lope6jw0.jpg

I beleive there is a scientific explanation for everything. Basically what Ginger_Warrior said.

Ok explain to me how the earth was created..besides big bang..because that has been disproven numerouse times..And...how come we dont see monkeys now developing into people? did they just Quit as soon as there was enough humans to support the planet?

Ok, yes..do you watch the history channel? or someother channel like that?

I have heard many a theorys about how the world came to be, yet all the scientific theorys seem to be disproven. there is no explantaion for how are moon could just rise up out of the pacific ocean..or how the big bang could have created the planet how it was..

And why is no other planet in are solar system like ares?

and dont tell me *Well how do you know they arnt??* because ill say...your scientist have shown you there's not...and scientist who believe in darwinism and big bang are the biggest non religouse people out there..that they need to prove there right.........we base are selfs off of fatih

heartless619.png

IGNORE THESE FOUR WORDS

banneruh3.jpg

And the reason he is not in America or "some other 1337 nation" ( :roll: ) is because he was born there... Are you saying that his spirit chose for him to live there?

exactly..just like your spirit chose to be werever you are.

and ill pray that you find that enlightment...

hahaha good joke...you will never find an athiest in a foxs hole...

heartless619.png

IGNORE THESE FOUR WORDS

banneruh3.jpg

The whole universe is a free world. Anything can happen, there's no big book of rules everything has to follow. There could be a god, there could be not. There could be a large space whale flying through space, there could not.

What makes the sky blue? "The colour of the air atoms." Ok, what makes them blue? "Reflection of light." What makes the reflection look blue? "..."

You could go on and on and eventually reach the root of it that no one knows. Like why do we have eletromagnetic energy? Because we just do!

So the universe is a strange, strange place that you can't know it all. Just stick to your life wherever you are and make the best out of it. ::'

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

exactly..just like your spirit chose to be werever you are.

and ill pray that you find that enlightment...

hahaha good joke...you will never find an athiest in a foxs hole...

I just dont believe that my spirit chose for me to live in Minnesota. I think I was just born there by chance and am lucky to live in such a nice place.

Wait. What about fox holes?

lope6jw0.jpg

The whole universe is a free world. Anything can happen, there's no big book of rules everything has to follow. There could be a god, there could be not. There could be a large space whale flying through space, there could not.

So the universe is a strange, strange place that you can't know it all. Just stick to your life wherever you are and make the best out of it. ::'

lol i dont know about a free world...untill yuou get some aliens trying to take over the universe \'

and no there isnt a big book of rules...but on earth we have a big book of rules and its called commen sense. :P

i like your ending. how bout we kill both of these Spiritual topics and leave it at make the best of it.

heartless619.png

IGNORE THESE FOUR WORDS

banneruh3.jpg

I hardly understand any of your statement. But of what I can understand you're saying the poor child's 'Spirit' Chose to be born into starvation and death? What kind of spirit would do that?

Also from your theory my spirit chose to be born in country X but my parents decided to immigrate to country Y how does that work with my so called spirit or whatever your on about..

A friend to all is a friend to none.

Tell me how the Church is "violent", "irrational" or "intolerant" in light of what I have just told you. Tell me any examples of this? Because the vast vast majority of Christians don't make a habit of violence.

I'm really losing the will here (divine intervention?), so i'll keep it short:

Irrational: absolute belief in any unproven entity is irrational, i'd of thought that was obvious.

Violent: look back in history, the church dominated people's lives, told them what they could do and what they couldn't. The church is responsible for violent reform, class struggle, crusades, witch hunts, executions etc. It's only recently (probably since the rise of secularism started in America) that people have moved away from the church, so the church has to act all kind and preach a message of kindness and tolerance to win over the minds of those who like that kind of message but don't really look at how many have died to limit it to that messsage nowadays. Oh yeah, and read the Old Testament.

Intolerant: Every religion believes that they have the absolute and whole truth. Judaism is the oldest, Chrisitanity is an improvement and Islam is the supposed 'final word of God'. How can three conflicting religions possibly live in tolerance? They don't, they preach it on the surface but the basis of their religion is their demise.

I'm an agnostic who's recently become interested in Buddhism. :)

Ok explain to me how the earth was created..besides big bang..because that has been disproven numerouse times..

And how was God created?

The Big Bang is theoried to have started the universe, not Earth. Earth and the other planets in our solar system formed out of solar nebulae from the sun. This formation happened around 9 billion years after the Big Bang.

Personally I don't believe in the Big Bang. It has too many flaws and unanswered questions. I believe in the Cyclic Universe theory:

http://www.actionbioscience.org/newfron ... hardt.html

And...how come we dont see monkeys now developing into people? did they just Quit as soon as there was enough humans to support the planet?

Monkeys don't change into humans overnight. Evolution is a process that can take millions of years.

Ok, yes..do you watch the history channel? or someother channel like that?

I have heard many a theorys about how the world came to be, yet all the scientific theorys seem to be disproven. there is no explantaion for how are moon could just rise up out of the pacific ocean..or how the big bang could have created the planet how it was..

The theory for planetary formation hasn't been disproven. It's accepted by most scientists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_formation

Remember; the Big Bang theory and the theory for planetary formation are two completely different things!

And why is no other planet in are solar system like ares?

and dont tell me *Well how do you know they arnt??* because ill say...your scientist have shown you there's not..

Many factors make our planet "unique" in the Solar System. The mass, the distance from the sun, the rotation and orbit, the moon itself, etc. For a good read on estimated numbers of life-bearing planets in the universe, see here:

http://www.krysstal.com/extrlife.html

Please stop writing in small text.

I'm not religious for a couple of reasons:

1.) I don't agree with a lot of stuff the church has said in the past regarding issues.

2.) I really don't believe in a god. I don't have proof, no, but its just something I don't feel strongly about.

3.) This is probably the most important reason but I fail to see why I should spend my time to worship something I can't see. If there is a god I am willing to bet (it?) is a smart thing and wouldn't condemn someone just because they didn't believe.

Pretty much I just don't see the need to have to worship to some sort of higher power, real or no.

Irrational: absolute belief in any unproven entity is irrational, i'd of thought that was obvious.

You're calling faith irrational? Alot of people would disagree with you, I personally don't see how the Big Bang Theory is a flawless explanation to how we got here.

Violent: look back in history, the church dominated people's lives, told them what they could do and what they couldn't. The church is responsible for violent reform, class struggle, crusades, witch hunts, executions etc. It's only recently (probably since the rise of secularism started in America) that people have moved away from the church, so the church has to act all kind and preach a message of kindness and tolerance to win over the minds of those who like that kind of message but don't really look at how many have died to limit it to that messsage nowadays. Oh yeah, and read the Old Testament.

Yes but the Church also did much good which I've already mentioned. Blaming those disasters on religion is fairly weak, people in the past have exploited religion you're right there. But if you understand 'The fall' you will know that God gave us free will of our actions so if you consider this line of argument how people interprete and act on their actions can not really be blamed on christianity.

Intolerant: Every religion believes that they have the absolute and whole truth. Judaism is the oldest, Chrisitanity is an improvement and Islam is the supposed 'final word of God'. How can three conflicting religions possibly live in tolerance? They don't, they preach it on the surface but the basis of their religion is their demise.

I see religions as tolerant to one another and here in the UK people are respecting of eachothers religion and culture. The Israeli and Palestinian problem has only developed into a religious feud, the problem exists today because the Western Governments created Israel. Before this Jews and Muslims did not have such open hatred of eachother. Between Pakistan and India, their conflicts is land orinetated but people (fundamentalists) need to find a way to justify their cause they look to Religion to "guide" them.

All Relgions preach peace and prosperity for humanity, its just the greed of humans that makes your view so sinister. Power has corrupted Relgions in the past you are correct but doesn't power corrupt everybody in postions of power? You can't just connect that to Religion and blame Christianity for human corruption, all institutes that contain power such as the Government are eligible for corruption.

You're calling faith irrational? Alot of people would disagree with you, I personally don't see how the Big Bang Theory is a flawless explanation to how we got here.

I agree with the fact that the theory is flawed. See my previous reply about the Cyclic Universe theory for more info.

I think certain faiths are more rational than others. Buddhism, for one, does not have absolute belief in a single entity, and it encourages that you question everything, including its own teachings. It seems more rational than atheism.

Exactly. People don't seem to realize that all they're doing is pointlessly fighting. It's the same God from religion to religion, he just differs a bit. It's like fighting over which kind of vanilla ice cream is the best. (basically) If they realized that what religion you have faith in, just that you have faith. And it's their clashing beliefs that have caused all the religious wars. Chris Rock said it the best.

I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier. Life should malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant.

(yes, that's from Dogma, but it actually has some pretty good points ;))

It's the same God from religion to religion, he just differs a bit.

That's not true. Some religions don't believe in any particular God, others believe in multiple Gods, and others feel that their God(s) can't be represented as a single, gendered entity.

The only similarity between religions is that a set of beliefs exist and are practiced.