Maging steel dragons?

Maxx91

I have read that maging steel dragons is a good way to train magic,

and break even. My magic level is only lvl 45, tho.

Would it be worth a try for me to mage them? Using wind blast, and

when i level, the best blast i can.

I will have to buy anti fire potions, right? What do they sell for?

~Thanks

At your level, it's definitely not worth it. You'd hardly ever hit on them. I have the feeling you're underestimating them.

Firepots are around 3-3.5K each.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

Break even? Shoot, maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm doing far better than breaking even. I've trained from 66 to now almost 75 magic, and I've gotten the following drops in that time:

Dragon Platelegs x1

Dragon Plateskirt x1

Dragon Medium Helmet x2

Shield Left Half (Dragon) x1

Draconic Visage x1

Since I'm a cheapskate, I bought all the runes I needed to cast fire STRIKE to level 90 magic, which is approximately 120k minds, 240k airs, and mystic fire staff.

Mind runes and air runes, both at 15gp each from tortured runecrafters cost me a total of 5.4 million gp. 100 antifire potions (4) were purchased from an herblorist who was having trouble finding buyers at the time, so I pounced on them at a mere 2.5k each. After spending barely over 200k on the mystic staff and mystic robe parts I didn't already have, I set out to train like a douchebag, having spent less than 6 million gp on end-to-end mage training to 90 magic.

I've barely fired off 10% of the runes I bought, and I've already looted the dragons for so much that I'm bored and ready to move on to Kalphite Queen trips or Barrows runs. Not to mention I've reaped every possible rare drop from the beasts, plus 50+ rune crossbows and countless other rune items. Together with the rewards from following their treasure trails, I can conservatively estimate that my profits have exceeded the total startup cost by a factor of 20 or more (meaning over 120 million gp in loot profits) - and I have 90% of my magic training left to do!

Final word: magic training at steel dragons is profitable for everyone, starting at level 1 magic. End of story.

Thanks, Hikensasameyuki, i'll try it :)

No, DON'T TRY IT. His mage is much higher than yours. I'm there now, trust me, you will splash A LOT. (I'm 74 Mage) His drops are luckier than most, and the Visage was just pure luck. At your level, you'll splash so much it isn't worth it. And if your combat levels are anything like your mage levels, you'll get pounded getting there and taking the odd hit from the Dragons. Train the Mage up a bit, get some chaos gauntlets, then try it a bit later.

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

[Tip.It Mod][Retired][Add your Steam name here!]

DON'T DO IT

You'll get pouned and splash too much of ur runez

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Break even? Shoot, maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm doing far better than breaking even. I've trained from 66 to now almost 75 magic, and I've gotten the following drops in that time:

Dragon Platelegs x1

Dragon Plateskirt x1

Dragon Medium Helmet x2

Draconic Visage x1

Since I'm a cheapskate, I bought all the runes I needed to cast fire STRIKE to level 90 magic, which is approximately 120k minds, 240k airs, and mystic fire staff.

Mind runes and air runes, both at 15gp each from tortured runecrafters cost me a total of 5.4 million gp. 100 antifire potions (4) were purchased from an herblorist who was having trouble finding buyers at the time, so I pounced on them at a mere 2.5k each. After spending barely over 200k on the mystic staff and mystic robe parts I didn't already have, I set out to train like a douchebag, having spent less than 6 million gp on end-to-end mage training to 90 magic.

I've barely fired off 10% of the runes I bought, and I've already looted the dragons for so much that I'm bored and ready to move on to Kalphite Queen trips or Barrows runs. Not to mention I've reaped every possible rare drop from the beasts, plus 50+ rune crossbows and countless other rune items. Together with the rewards from following their treasure trails, I can conservatively estimate that my profits have exceeded the total startup cost by a factor of 20 or more (meaning over 120 million gp in loot profits) - and I have 90% of my magic training left to do!

Final word: magic training at steel dragons is profitable for everyone, starting at level 1 magic. End of story.

Dude, do you realise how incredibly lucky you are. I've killed 3 times as many dragons as and not gotten one dragon drop. You can't really on rare drops for your cash as then you may go thouands without one and be in debt.

Goldenjkered.png

Whips: 3 Dragon Boots: 15

My 99's: Attack & Cooking

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Goldenjkered

I don't think you guys understood the point of my post.

If you reread it, you'll notice that I started there at 66 magic in full Mystic with rune gloves, glory amulet, and cape of zamorak.

Sure, you'll splash a lot, and at 74 magic, I still do. I'm using mind rune spells for christ's sake! If you can't come to terms with that fact, then steel dragons are not the place for you ever, because there will be a significant number of misses no matter what your level may be.

I gave a sound argument for why steel dragons are a viable option for mage training, no matter how many times your spells splash. I would love to hear someone who thinks I'm wrong come up with a better idea.

Using fire strike, my spells cost 45gp per cast. A steel dragon kill takes 70-120 casts. That's 3150-5400gp per kill. If you're greedy enough to leave after 3 kills, their 100% drops cover that. I don't expect most people to be happy leaving with a load of steel bars and 3 dragon bones, but it is an option. My personal opinion is that using higher level spells there is only for the rich/foolish, as the problem of breaking even relies far more heavily on luck, the more expensive your spells are.

I didn't post my drop list because I think everyone will be so lucky. I made a distinct point that the common drops (i.e., runite limbs, soul and blood runes, stackable rune projectiles) are enough to keep anyone going (for example, if you weren't well-off enough to spend all the money to reach your goal in one fell swoop, like I did). I just wanted people to recognize that those kind of drops are a distinct possibility, and should be kept in mind. Let's not forget how commonly they drop clues (level 3), as this is another source of basically free income from easily high alched or merchanted items.

Dragon Platelegs x1

Dragon Plateskirt x1

Dragon Medium Helmet x2

Draconic Visage x1

This is a load. You take what, 100 spells+ per dragon? And you say you've used about 12k strikes so far. Meaning you've killed 120 dragons, and gotten 5 dragon drops and a visage? And 50 rune items? Sorry man, but I suspect you've never once killed a metal dragon. Nice story, though.

Regardless of believability, I have sold none of the items I've mentioned, meaning I'd be happy to show them to you ingame. My RSN is included below my lack of avatar, to the left of this post. Feel free to add me to your friend list and meet me somewhere.

To the poster who mentioned not to forget the cost of antifire potions, I advise you to reread my first post until you find where I didn't forget to mention their cost.

back to bballer's question: where do you stand? dont the dragons just wander up to you and start meleeing you? this is the biggest mystery about maging steels to me. do you have to run around a lot? cuz I could totally see doing this as long as I knew the strategy ahead of time...

also the math on that doesn't add up... 6 amazing drops in 120 dragons? either you use a LOT fewer spells per dragon, or you've never even killed one. having the items does not prove that you killed a steel dragon to get them. enlighten us as to where you made a mistake?

craggyp.png

craggyp.png

no, they don't wander anywhere, unless you walk outside their ridiculously far-reaching ranged firebreath attack's range without exiting their actual territory (in which case they will take a few steps until you are back inside that range and begin attacking with their ranged firebreath once again). The only way to get them to melee attack you is to walk directly 1 grid space away from them (in which case they will alternate their melee attack and their "normal" firebreath attack, at about a rate of 4 melee attacks to each firebreath; if you have prayer points, running Protect From Melee is an ideal way to weather the storm if you run out of firebreath protection and want to finish your kill, as you will be hit by the less powerful melee range "normal" firebreath attack, and only 20% as often).

On an unrelated note, I'm done defending myself against detractors in this thread. I'll leave it to everyone else to try the method and succeed with it or not.

If u r going for drops dont do it. but if ur just training magic, find a safespot and just mage, cus u gain magic expierence by casting spells, it doesnt matter how much damage u hit. so if u hit a bunch of 0s, u get the same xp as hitting a bunch of 20s

Mizzou is ballin'!

Illini are fallin'!

Kansas is dead.

thumb_mizzou-logo.jpg

If u r going for drops dont do it. but if ur just training magic, find a safespot and just mage, cus u gain magic expierence by casting spells, it doesnt matter how much damage u hit. so if u hit a bunch of 0s, u get the same xp as hitting a bunch of 20s
Wrong, you get 2 extra experience for every damage you do.

* For every damage point you hit your opponent, you receive 2 magic xp.

* You also receive 1.33 Hits xp for every damage point you inflict.

Brought to you by good ole tip.it

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

Fire Bolt while wearing Chaos Gauntlets and the best mage armor you can afford is the most viable option. I personally would go with Infinity Top, Bottom, and Boots. They have the best bonuses and aren't incredibly expensive as 3rd Age is. Take note that I did not include Ahrims because it degrades and further adds money to your mage training.

O_M_G_Guasto.png