Homosexuality: Right or Wrong?

johntm

I have no problem with homosexuals as long as they don't get in my face about it. They can do whatever they want, whenever as long as it doesn't become known to me.

Just my opinions.

At that point, doesn't it become a freedom of speech issue?

We can't/don't yet arrest people for "thoughtcrime" so really, the freedom to make your opinions known is still the most important part of a functioning democracy and the base of healthy social dissent.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with homosexuals as long as they don't get in my face about it. They can do whatever they want, whenever as long as it doesn't become known to me.

Just my opinions.

We can't/don't yet arrest people for "thoughtcrime" so really, the freedom to make your opinions known is still the most important part of a functioning democracy and the base of healthy social dissent.

No. He's talking about gloating their homosexual "adventures" or shouting they're gay. Not restricting their ability to explain their orientation when appropriate.

So, what do you guys think of bisexuality?

Mostly used as an excuse for homosexuals to be partly accepted from my experiences.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Just my opinions.

Or just personal taste. If someone expresses an opinion it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else has to accept it, and they still have the freedom to express an opposing opinion. It's only a freedom-of-speech issue if one side becomes regulated by a government.

Though personally, I dislike straight guys that overemphasize their heterosexuality. If anything they're more annoying because it's encouraged of them. Both sides can be pretty bad.

I have nothing but anecdotal evidence to offer in support of it, but my hypothesis is that stating one's sexual orientation as bisexual is likely a step towards homosexuality, a stage when sexual confusion must be very difficult to sort through.

One again, I have nothing but anecdotal evidence concerning that.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

oh my god. the political correctness levels in this thread have reached maximum capacity. RUN.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Just my opinions.

Or just personal taste. If someone expresses an opinion it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else has to accept it, and they still have the freedom to express an opposing opinion. It's only a freedom-of-speech issue if one side becomes regulated by a government.

Though personally, I dislike straight guys that overemphasize their heterosexuality. If anything they're more annoying because it's encouraged of them. Both sides can be pretty bad.

No, regulation of speech by non-governmental organizations such as the media, religious institutions, schools, corporations, etc., is still a violation of freedom of speech.

They can do whatever they want, whenever as long as it doesn't become known to me.

That sounds an awful lot like censorship to me, although I am curious to see how it is justified.

oh my god. the political correctness levels in this thread have reached maximum capacity. RUN.

It hardly seems inferior than the traditional stance of justifying one's position through humorous dismissal of others arguments.

Even after a string of what could be seen as "Gay, straight, or lying" posts?

I hate everyone equally :grin:

No, regulation of speech by non-governmental organizations such as the media, religious institutions, schools, corporations, etc., is still a violation of freedom of speech.

Meaning intolerance towards dissenting viewpoints, I assume? Attempts to silence them? Individuals, even here, show the same tendencies. Even something as simple as claiming that anyone holding a differing opinion is incompetent, or continually attacking another's beliefs in the hopes that they will go away.

Even after a string of what could be seen as "Gay, straight, or lying" posts?

I hate everyone equally :grin:

I hate everyone equally

You can't tear that out of me

No segregation -separation

Just me in my world of enemies

Just reminded me. Not related to the thread at all.

I did not intend to imply that people were lying about their sexual orientation, just that in my experience bisexuality seems to be a stage on the way to homosexuality. (Note: small sample group - less than ~5 people - no formal records, no outside corroboration.)

Wow. my mom and dad were watching a diy show. the inevitable token gay dude came on to pick out the wall colors... My dad goes and changes the channel and goes "ugh those kinds of gays just make me want to cave their face in. 'oh look at me im gay! im happy! im gay! darn freaks"

Sounds like someones masculinity was challenged....

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

@ Skeptical

That I'd agree with then, that post was partly trollish, and it would have been even more so but I cut a lot out :razz:. The two are probably related in the same way that heterosexuality and bisexuality would be. I think I've heard it referred to as a middle area on a scale between purely straight and purely gay.

A few days ago I heard my mother on the phone with (I assume) the minister of her church. Apparently they're thinking about doing something involving accepting homosexuals. Now, I only got half of the conversation, and I can't remember why I thought it was about homosexuals, but some of the stuff was quite funny. Basically, she was saying how she's ok with it, but "some people might be upset" and my granddad "didn't say he was against it, but I think he might just be keeping quiet" and "these people could be among us already, and we wouldn't even know". I was laughing pretty hard by the end, because with only half the conversation it really sounded like she was describing some infectious disease or something. It was pretty interesting to see how the older generations of a community I thought was pretty accepting (I mean, there's an entire clique at my school of girls who are just bisexual for the ego boost) felt.

It hardly seems inferior than the traditional stance of justifying one's position through humorous dismissal of others arguments.

Oh no he di'int.

I have nothing but anecdotal evidence to offer in support of it, but my hypothesis is that stating one's sexual orientation as bisexual is likely a step towards homosexuality, a stage when sexual confusion must be very difficult to sort through.

One again, I have nothing but anecdotal evidence concerning that.

Pretty hurtful, to be honest.

If you have nothing to back it up, don't bring it up. :mellow:

My hypothesis, though I have nothing to back it up, is that you take that position because you feel your hetrosexuality threatened by the concept of shared sexual attraction among both main genders, not being able to divide attraction between us and them.

Elucidate, o intellectual.

I feel obliged to (once again) to point out that instead of refuting my argument, you employ childish attacks on my character. As the doctor in Doctorow's EST says to Art: "Criticize the person; not the idea." Sound advice, which I would encourage everyone to follow.

I feel obliged to (once again) to point out that instead of refuting my argument, you employ childish attacks on my character. As the doctor in Doctorow's EST says to Art: "Criticize the person; not the idea." Sound advice, which I would encourage everyone to follow.

Lol you can drop act now. Here's the fact, you used to be a poster who, let's face it, wasn't the most sought after color of crayon. Now, all the sudden, overnight, you've become this "intellectual," in which you quote out of date phrasings, pull out "large" words that typically do not apply to the situation, and pretend that the cooldog08 character was just you pretending to not be smart. First off, buddy boy, I wasn't really referring to you when I talked about all the PC in this thread. I mean, naturally you're pretty much as politically correct and relativistic as they come, but there was still others. And here's the problem, you insinuate that asking you to explain yourself is childish, as well as insinuating that you actually *have* character to begin with. You don't have any character, you're merely a person who's feeling inadequate in your present state, and so to alleviate these cancerous symptoms, you play smart. But again, we all see past it, and just because I'm the only calling you out on it, doesn't mean I'm the only who knows it. I've discussed it with many different people on here, and they all agree.

So now that we've decided that you are not who you say you are, this means you have no character to bring to the game. And since you have no character, I cannot attack this character, and thus your entire argument is invalid.

But again, people are too damn politically correct in this thread. If you hate gays, simply state that. I personally won't think any less of you, brave is the man who exposes his mind to the world, then a man who the world knows not of.

Lol you can drop act now. Here's the fact, you used to be a poster who, let's face it, wasn't the most sought after color of crayon. Now, all the sudden, overnight, you've become this "intellectual," in which you quote out of date phrasings, pull out "large" words that typically do not apply to the situation, and pretend that the cooldog08 character was just you pretending to not be smart. First off, buddy boy, I wasn't really referring to you when I talked about all the PC in this thread. I mean, naturally you're pretty much as politically correct and relativistic as they come, but there was still others. And here's the problem, you insinuate that asking you to explain yourself is childish, as well as insinuating that you actually *have* character to begin with. You don't have any character, you're merely a person who's feeling inadequate in your present state, and so to alleviate these cancerous symptoms, you play smart. But again, we all see past it, and just because I'm the only calling you out on it, doesn't mean I'm the only who knows it. I've discussed it with many different people on here, and they all agree.

So now that we've decided that you are not who you say you are, this means you have no character to bring to the game. And since you have no character, I cannot attack this character, and thus your entire argument is invalid.

But again, people are too damn politically correct in this thread. If you hate gays, simply state that. I personally won't think any less of you, brave is the man who exposes his mind to the world, then a man who the world knows not of.

I don't feel that I've ever attempted to deny that I have changed. It's human nature to change, and I completely embrace it. It seems arrogant to believe that you, someone who has had occasional contact with me on a forum, feels to need to not merely judge, but to insult myself, my choice of vocabulary, and to take every opportunity to drag me down to wherever it is you feel that I belong. Interestingly enough, this is not the first time I've encountered this attitude, and every time they used the same labels, and the same decision that they, and only they, were real people: what they present to the world is true: free of insecurity, fear, loneliness, a sense of not belonging, not caring.

Everyone wears a different face, a mask behind which they truly lie. I've never met a person who wasn't different around their friends, who behaved the same way no matter what their environment, their mood, their company. I don't pretend to know who someone really is: there's no point, since it's just endless contradicting evidence for a useless hypothesis.

I won't apologize for the way I write or speak: I learned to read from the pages of old books, out-of-date textbooks, and fantasy novels. Why my appreciation for the beauty of language should be suppressed by an incessant desire for brevity and familiarity is something that I suggest you consider. (I wonder how impressive The Declaration of Independence and The Lord of the Rings would have been if the creators restricted themselves to use of words of less than 3 syllables and the traditional use of language, respectively.)

In a way I see it as a part of who I am, since it's where I feel comfortable, confident and free.

I can tell that other posters (I believe Mask is an example) are often annoyed with me, and yet they don't insist on destroying something that they believe another has built, for little reason other than personal distaste formed by rare contact with someone through a fairly impersonal medium,

Now I'm left unhindered to wonder why it is you're so intent to harm someone you believe is feeling lost and uncertain. Such cruelty from someone who offers so little help in return.

Thanks for admitting you changed. That's all I wanted you to admit, but, I mean... You missed the entire point of the post. Point being I don't care if you did change, I just found it amusing the extremity to which the change was. You literally went from being someone someone, to OVERNIGHT being this "love of language" changing your name to "skeptical" and placing the requisite anti religious links in your signature. I couldn't care less if you changed, hell, I've gone through like... 5 different periods of Saru on this forum, I just don't believe it is sincere. And that's all I personally care about, is sincerity.

And yes ALG, it was necessary.

So lets get back to talking about gay guys.

Thanks for admitting you changed. That's all I wanted you to admit, but, I mean... You missed the entire point of the post. Point being I don't care if you did change, I just found it amusing the extremity to which the change was. You literally went from being someone someone, to OVERNIGHT being this "love of language" changing your name to "skeptical" and placing the requisite anti religious links in your signature. I could care less if you changed, hell, I've gone through like... 5 different periods of Saru on this forum, I just don't believe it is sincere. And that's all I personally care about, is sincerity.

And yes ALG, it was necessary.

So lets get back to talking about gay guys.

I took a rather long break from TIF, while I attempted to restore my life to some form of order. It was hardly "overnight". I believe my first anti-theist blog post was well over a year ago, and the summary of it's content was written well over 4 years ago. My use of Skeptical as an internet tag is something I have been doing for many years now, and I only used Cooldog08 as I felt it was appropriate to use your gaming username when discussing the game.

I already explained my conviction that people do not present the same person to everyone. Perhaps this was not always how I posted on TIF, but I also rarely posted in OT, instead generally wandering about Help & Advice, or at best posting what I was listening to at the moment, or arguing about genres in metal.

My advice is to abandon the focus on sincerity: you will never achieve contentment, since you will never be prove insincerity to any significant extent. The person I am most myself around is my dog, but does that make me a poseur, a fake, my personality a lie when I am around others?

Join us Iconic; the more there are the more to argue with.

Loving the OT, PMs perhaps? :roll:

Homosexuality - Right or Wrong? Who cares? Good fun. <3:

Also, small words.

Yea. We settled it in PM.

And yes, gays are indeed good fun to be around. Except for those "omg u insulted my hair u homophobe" kinda gays.

I do wish the anti gay people would speak up. I love "debating," if it can be called that.

As I'm sure you know, the topic isn't about internet facades. So please gay it up or take it to PM. Good thing you did -it took me a while to write this-.

--

Now, returning to the topic, self-identifying as "bi" might be a step of sorts for some people, not as part of a transition "towards", but during self-discovery and acceptance. When the fact you like people of the same sex stares at you in the face and is unavoidable, claiming you are bi allows for some honesty while people still try to cling to a false heteronormativity ("If I am bi, maybe I can still marry a woman", etc).

Sadly, that makes people doubt about the real bisexuals are there.

That being said, experience tells me that people who say "bisexuality is more natural" or "everyone is a little bit bisexual" are usually the bisexuals themselves. :P

This signature is intentionally left blank.

The thing about being a bisexual or a heterosexual or a homosexual or anything is that sexuality is a continuum. Our sexual orientation and preference is probably not one discrete and rigid reality.

Kinsey Scale

This is likely more accurate. I lol'd when I saw "Easy A" in theaters where Olive refers to the gay guy as "Kinsey 6 gay."