Runescape VS...

Triforceelf

This thread is to showcase why you think RS is superior/inferior to other MMO's out there. Please do not attack a game you have not at least tried, as they say don't knock it if you haven't tried it. This is also a good place to see what else is on the market. While this may be a little skewed toward other MMO's, I will do my best to accruals represent the ones I have played, which are:

Runescape, played for about 18 months cumulatively.

Maple Story played for about 6 months total.

World of Warcraft Played for 1 year.

Tibia Played for 3 months.

First off, MS.

MS is what you call a Korean Grinder. This is because it is highly repetitive and requires long hours of grinding, a type of game play popular in Korea with many games with this style coming from there. You go kill some monsters, and then to make it more fun you go and kill more monsters. They drop various quest items you get to get EXP in combat, and money which you use for better gear/bling. MS is F2P, but if you want to get some nice benefits you have to fork over cash. There are exactly 0 skills in MS. The whole point is to go kill stuff so you can go kill bigger stuff. It has classes, which is nice, and they all have unique spells and abilities that can make game play more interesting. PVP is only in certain places just like in RS. Death has harsh penalties though, including loss of valuable EXP. At higher levels, a single death can remove days of training. The world is fairly large, and graphics are easy on the eyes and kind of fun to look at, if a bit cutesy. It is side scrolling though, so some platforming is involved.

VS RS

MS is definitely not as varied as RS. The quests are not that unique, and there are no skills at all. That said, I think combat is far superior since it involves less random clicking and more tactics deciding what spells you will use and managing your mana bar. It is also far more repetitive then RS, but some people like that kind of play. The death penalties I am out on, its good to make death negative, but it seems a tad extreme. I absolutely hate the platforming, it frustrated me to no end.

The Verdict:

I like RS waaaaaaay better then MS. I the first few levels went by like a breeze, and after that the grinding was way, way to harsh. I continued to play for a long time after I stopped having fun, something I really regret.

triforceelf.png

well i like maple story but the only thing is looking like a poor noob was my only problem but i hacked in ms so it didnt matter much

thats how i played ms for a long time then quit after i became a member in rs

and maple was just annnoying only can kill and talk to people

filewf5.gif

rarely ever check forums.

RS V Guildwars:

Guildwars is superior in almost every way untill you hit the lvl cap then its a dead end and the game becomes repetetive and boring.

Rs you can play forever and even after you max out there is great reward from pking and staking.

Rs is superior to guildwars untill they remove the cap which i have heard will happen in guildwars 2.

Rs V Wow.

Same thing, easy to reach caps and repetetive game play, all quests are the same raids get tedious.

Rs is better then wow to me.

Rs v Mythos:

Mythos is much better so far to me, im currently beta testing it for flagship studios and its like part guildwars part diablo 2 and part asskicking, i havnt reached any kind of cap yet.. my kinda game.

Rs v Lotr online:

lotr is much better, open ended gameplay vast world great storyline.

Rs v D&d online:

D&d would be better if it wasnt for the lvl cap, great game, too restricted.

Rs v Ffxii:

Final fantasy online has the worst grind of any game ive ever played, makes lvling in rs look like a breeze, my friend has spent 3 years playing it many hours a day and still has only maxed 4 of about 70 skills/classes.

Too much grind, not enough action, too hard to collect currency.

Runescape wins against ALL because of it's constant updating and good storyline.

It's also very unquie for a MMO

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Out of all the games I have played, Runescape is the best overall. There are some with better graphics, some with better gameplay and some with better communities. Diablo 2 might have beaten it out if not for all of the hacks that people use to kill anything that moves when playing online...

I have not yet played WoW so I cannot actually have a personal opinion on it, but from what I have heard all it has going for it is the graphics...

WoW

World of Warcraft is the number one MMO on the market hands down right now. Many RS players claim that WoW only has graphics going for it, but that really is an over simplification of WoW.

PVE

In WoW, Player Vs Environment is much more interesting then it is in WoW, at least in terms of what a player has to do to kill things. All the spells and abilites you aquire through the levels will fill up at least four action bars, maybe more. Depending on your class you have a variety of tactics at your disposal, and you must use them wisely based on the monster you are killing. For example, as a druid I am speced into balance and usually use spells to kill things. However, if I begin to run low on mana melee is a good option since it gives my mana time to regenerate. Other practices such as kiting (preventing the monster from hitting you) offer chances to kill things much more powerful then you are.

High end PVE is all about the raiding. Raids can be loads of fun if you are in a good guild and are the only way to obtain the best items in the game now. Raids however eat up HUGE amounts of time, sometimes over 4-6 hours each. This is infact the number one reason I have stopped playing WoW, I could not fit into a serious raiding guild anylonger since I am both a full time student, work, and have a life. RS lets me play for as little as 10 minutes and still be rewarding.

Quests in WoW are not exactly the greatest. While some are really engaging, most are simple kill this, kill that, get that, go to them. This really drags toward the end when you must repeat quests many times to get the requisite items to gain access to good rewards from certain factions.

PVP

PVP in WoW and RS are worlds apart, and WoW pvp is far superior. Rather then gambling your fortune, you simply gamble some time. In battle grounds you get rewards no matter what, and in world PVP you can have fun battling other players. This can turn nasty with corpse camping and other unsportsmanlike practices. WoW pvp is varied and complex, from CTF games to resource control, to massive wars between players and duels between elite teams, WoW PvP is fun and engaging.

Clan Support

In WoW, the clan support is world apart from RS. Rather then try to kill ever addon that comes along, you instead are given ways to MAKE your own addons and macros. WoW also features a guild chat that is much easier, a simple way of identifying guild members (huge sign over their heads) and talbards to show off your unique colors.

Economy

The WoW economy is fairly stable, since inflation is a non issue because of the massive amounts of cash you spend on matenace and on getting new items. This ensures that most items are not horribly over priced, excpeting so called "twink" gear bought by high level players for PVP low level alts. An example of this is the comparison of the staff of jordan with the bringer of death. Jordan is level 40, Death is level 70. Jordan is purple, Death is blue. Jordan sells for upwards of 1000 gold, Death sells for about the same.

Skills

This is pathetic in WoW. You can go from 0 to max level in about 2 hours if you have a decent amount of cash. Skills are also not that important once you become very high leveled, with the exception of very costly recipes you will spend hours grinding to make.

Bottom Line

If you live for PVP or love spending long hours killing very hard enemies, WoW is obviously superior. If skills are what you are after or simply dont like spending hours with a guild, RS is for you. Both are matter of preference as both are excellent games.

triforceelf.png

WoW

World of Warcraft is the number one MMO on the market hands down right now. Many RS players claim that WoW only has graphics going for it, but that really is an over simplification of WoW.

PVE

In WoW, Player Vs Environment is much more interesting then it is in WoW, at least in terms of what a player has to do to kill things. All the spells and abilites you aquire through the levels will fill up at least four action bars, maybe more. Depending on your class you have a variety of tactics at your disposal, and you must use them wisely based on the monster you are killing. For example, as a druid I am speced into balance and usually use spells to kill things. However, if I begin to run low on mana melee is a good option since it gives my mana time to regenerate. Other practices such as kiting (preventing the monster from hitting you) offer chances to kill things much more powerful then you are.

High end PVE is all about the raiding. Raids can be loads of fun if you are in a good guild and are the only way to obtain the best items in the game now. Raids however eat up HUGE amounts of time, sometimes over 4-6 hours each. This is infact the number one reason I have stopped playing WoW, I could not fit into a serious raiding guild anylonger since I am both a full time student, work, and have a life. RS lets me play for as little as 10 minutes and still be rewarding.

Quests in WoW are not exactly the greatest. While some are really engaging, most are simple kill this, kill that, get that, go to them. This really drags toward the end when you must repeat quests many times to get the requisite items to gain access to good rewards from certain factions.

PVP

PVP in WoW and RS are worlds apart, and WoW pvp is far superior. Rather then gambling your fortune, you simply gamble some time. In battle grounds you get rewards no matter what, and in world PVP you can have fun battling other players. This can turn nasty with corpse camping and other unsportsmanlike practices. WoW pvp is varied and complex, from CTF games to resource control, to massive wars between players and duels between elite teams, WoW PvP is fun and engaging.

Clan Support

In WoW, the clan support is world apart from RS. Rather then try to kill ever addon that comes along, you instead are given ways to MAKE your own addons and macros. WoW also features a guild chat that is much easier, a simple way of identifying guild members (huge sign over their heads) and talbards to show off your unique colors.

Economy

The WoW economy is fairly stable, since inflation is a non issue because of the massive amounts of cash you spend on matenace and on getting new items. This ensures that most items are not horribly over priced, excpeting so called "twink" gear bought by high level players for PVP low level alts. An example of this is the comparison of the staff of jordan with the bringer of death. Jordan is level 40, Death is level 70. Jordan is purple, Death is blue. Jordan sells for upwards of 1000 gold, Death sells for about the same.

Skills

This is pathetic in WoW. You can go from 0 to max level in about 2 hours if you have a decent amount of cash. Skills are also not that important once you become very high leveled, with the exception of very costly recipes you will spend hours grinding to make.

Bottom Line

If you live for PVP or love spending long hours killing very hard enemies, WoW is obviously superior. If skills are what you are after or simply dont like spending hours with a guild, RS is for you. Both are matter of preference as both are excellent games.

The thing i hate MOST about wow is the pvp, with no risk comes no real reward, its boring as hell.

The entire reason rs pvp is so fun IS the risk.

Theres very few games that let you take another players items if you defeat them, for this runescape classic was the most original and fun pvp system i have ever played.

And whilst you talk about the variety in wow combat you forget to mention rs has 3 different spellbooks and a prayer page all of which have varying effects on pvp.

You can use range + melee

Mage + melee, hybrid in anyway you want, Wow isnt really superior in variety at all, it just looks prettier when you kill things.

Lol.. Conclusion, 123yourgone likes Runescape? That proves what exactly? It's so irrelevant, it's all subjective, he didn't even try to be objective. And it's funny he mentions grinding and repetitiveness as a problem, ALL mmorpgs are grinding, simply in Runescape you have more than one thing to grind on, and those skills are ALL of them, repetitive aswell.

Runescape is very varied, lots of things to do, that is Runescape's strength. Also some haft-decent storylines, but Jagex could have done something much better, complex and interesting. Now apart from that, horrible graphics, horrible community, inferior combat system.

2480+ total

I've played WoW, Second Life, and RS and I'll say RS is best.

WoW, to me, IS all the graphics and after the cap is real boring. It's also too expensive.

Second Life...Gosh. It's so crappy. No-one seems to EVER be on, but that's not so much the problem. I think you need an IBM mainframe with 50+ petaflops of processing power and 700TB of RAM to run it. Something along those lines.

Also, SL sucks because it's not that much of an MMO. There's no set things to do. It's all weird things made by players (much of it *inappropriate*) and distributed amongst others. Also, way too much commercial influence. Can't stand the RL trading encouragement..I'll stop now.

Anyway, RS, though with crappier graphics, has the overall best gameplay and content. And in certain areas (you are here) you can find a place with a population of players exceeding the maturity of my 4-year-old baby cousin.

63cu0k4.png

52788436whatsonthetube.PNG

If you believe you came from monkeys, you probably did.

Anyway, RS, though with crappier graphics, has the overall best gameplay and content.

Over best gameplay? Oh dear, if there is a game with bad gameplay it's Runescape. Not smooth, absolutely no keyboard hotkeys or ANYTHING else than the mouse. When you run, you often run the other way for a few seconds because of server lagg, I mean, the gameplay is SO bottom pit. Where the hell have you came from, tetris?

And in certain areas (you are here) you can find a place with a population of players exceeding the maturity of my 4-year-old baby cousin.

And you are satisfied with that? Personally, I want more than just people who are more mature than a broom.

2480+ total

Eve is the reason I quit runescape, those that remember me knew that I played a lot, and spent a ridiculous amount of time on the forums, most notably the rants section before we had a debate club sub-forum.

RS VS EVE:

PVE: The play styles are similar in both games, choose your target and lock (right click) then shoot, and wait. As the level of difficulty progresses you need to make sure you have the right gear and the right skills to accomplish your goal. TBH the only real difference in how the pve is done is that EVE has much better graphics.

PVP: This is where the differences get a lot bigger. EVE is a PVP game. In a high security system, if you shoot at someone CONCORD will blow your ship up. This acts as a deterrent when it comes to high-sec killings, but does not stop them completely. If you're hauling something worth more then my ship, and I find out about it I may just kill you and take your stuff, regardless of where you are.

There's also something else that makes eve PVP better then RS: It serves a purpose. In eve, you can control space. The POHs of RS don't hold a candle to the Player Owned Starbases of eve. In eve you can do production, moon mining and other such things to make a POS worthwhile (The equivalent to having a bank, rune rock, furnace and anvil in your POH)

POSs can also be shot down, and large fleet battles happen often (POSs are equipped with guns) to try and take out POSs, to keep people from having sovereignty (People own the systems, and owning systems has tactical/strategic/cash benifits)

Corporations VS Clans:

Clans in RS serve no real purpose.They're not even technically part of the game. In eve, corps are required to run POSs, they share funds, declare wars (allows people to be shot in high-sec without CONCORD interferance) and a host of other things.

I'm going to stop here, since I've walked off from the computer several times since I started this post and no longer feel like dragging it out any more :P

In short: EVE>RS :mrgreen: [/b]

Quit runescape, now playing EVE-Online(Mail Cambarus and say hi :mrgreen: )

Lol.. Conclusion, 123yourgone likes Runescape? That proves what exactly? It's so irrelevant, it's all subjective, he didn't even try to be objective. And it's funny he mentions grinding and repetitiveness as a problem, ALL mmorpgs are grinding, simply in Runescape you have more than one thing to grind on, and those skills are ALL of them, repetitive aswell.

Runescape is very varied, lots of things to do, that is Runescape's strength. Also some haft-decent storylines, but Jagex could have done something much better, complex and interesting. Now apart from that, horrible graphics, horrible community, inferior combat system.

Actually i said mythos is better, and guildwars without its massive limitations is also better, learn to read?.

The only time i mentioned grinding as a BAD thing was on final fantasy where it takes 12 hours to get 1 item to keep up with other players your lvl, it takes days to get lvls at the higher lvls, and you can max out EVERY character class (theres about 25).

Then you got the skills (about 25).

and a lvl 70 (which is the cap on final fantasy) is harder then getting a 99 on runescape.

FFxi has too much grind, im fine with grind untill it gets to the point of which you have spent a total of 268 days non stop playing the game (it tells you total play time) and you have maxed 4 of 25 or so char classes and 3 of 25 or so skills.

Thats 6432 hours..

In rs at 45,000 xp per hour (about average for skills) thats 257 million xp, which equivilates to arround 2100 skill total.

Now do you understand how bad the grind on ffxi is?.

Guildwars would be one of the best MMORPG's ever if it weren't for the crappy party system. Having the lvl cap at 20 allows the game to focuss a lot more on quests and new abilities, and not on grinding. The PvP system there is why you buy GW in the first place, it's just that good.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

Guildwars would be one of the best MMORPG's ever if it weren't for the crappy party system. Having the lvl cap at 20 allows the game to focuss a lot more on quests and new abilities, and not on grinding. The PvP system there is why you buy GW in the first place, it's just that good.
Fighting a lvl 35 dragon with a party of lvl 20 characters SUCKS [wagon].

You get 1 idiot on your team and you get crushed, Guildwars 2 wont have any caps, and im probably going to quit rs for it.

I'm a player that likes to play MMO's on my own without help from other players/friends. Runescape has that, it has players everywhere, but you don't have to interact with them to be good at RS.

WoW: Although I'm tempted to play WoW, I need to be in a group/clan to get the good stuff and get the most out of playing WoW. Plus there seems to be a lot of Faction and Class hate with everyone, meaning lots of people arguing and community gets divided. Runescape doesn't have that hate, except of course the low levels. I don't like teaming up with other people, because I could get shouted at for not playing right.

Maple Story: I've heard it has a big problem with lots of players hacking into the game and ruining the experience for legit players. I don't like people cheating in games. :evil:

Guild Wars: Looks good, very much like WoW, but leveling up is almost non-exsistant in the game.

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

I think itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s pointless to ask what MMO is better, they are all different, people play that certain MMO for a reason, it might not fit of what you like but it does for them.

ssuserbariiwv9.png
If I wanted to hit numbers I would hit my calculator.

Anyway, RS, though with crappier graphics, has the overall best gameplay and content.

Over best gameplay? Oh dear, if there is a game with bad gameplay it's Runescape. Not smooth, absolutely no keyboard hotkeys or ANYTHING else than the mouse. When you run, you often run the other way for a few seconds because of server lagg, I mean, the gameplay is SO bottom pit. Where the hell have you came from, tetris?

And in certain areas (you are here) you can find a place with a population of players exceeding the maturity of my 4-year-old baby cousin.

And you are satisfied with that? Personally, I want more than just people who are more mature than a broom.

Runscape does have hotkeys now. :wink:

Runscape does have hotkeys now. :wink:

It has had one hotkey for a very long time, now...

My friend said GE (Granado Espada) was better than Runescape cuz it has better graphics and the contents are almost the same as Rs

Wonder if its true... can any GE players out there compare?

A rejected invention--- instant water!!!jus add water!!!

blackgoldrobesrv5.png

suyihai0.png