Help me choose video card

Kwisatz

If I'm going to use it on an Athlon-64 3000+ 939-pin and 512 RAM, which would be better?

An ATI Sapphire Radeon X300 PCIe 256MB or a Powercolor Radeon 9550 AGP 256MB?

I want to play games like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Half-Life 2, if that influences the decision. Help please, because I can't find any benchmarks to help me decide.

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

Those really are super-super-budget cards... Can you not stretch to at least a 9600? You're pretty much talking about getting a mid-range card from the last generation, and so it really won't last.

Up ure ram to 1gig and get a radeon 9800 pro 128. theres no point getting 256mb of ram on a crappy card.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Anything lower than a Geforce 6600GT or similar is not worth purchasing for gaming. You *will* be dissapointed.

Are you making fun of my mx5700? You wanna go? Lets take this outside!!1!111!oneone

Anything lower than a Geforce 6600GT or similar is not worth purchasing for gaming. You *will* be dissapointed.

Are you making fun of my mx5700? You wanna go? Lets take this outside!!1!111!oneone

Not at all, unless you bought it recently :P

A 5700FX wasn't disapointing on HL2 for me. Ran it pretty good on 4x AA, all high.

Anyways, I recommend a pci-e GeForce 6600GT. This would hit around 100FPS on hl2, all high, 1024x768. (4xAA)

Although, thats 180-200$. A FX5700 256mb cost 110$, gets around 45 FPS on the same.. only the graphics are notched a bit.

I just don't like ATI. A 6600GT OC'ed a little bit runs better than my friend's x800 PRO... It cost him quite a chunk more.

A 5700FX wasn't disapointing on HL2 for me. Ran it pretty good on 4x AA, all high.

Anyways, I recommend a pci-e GeForce 6600GT. This would hit around 100FPS on hl2, all high, 1024x768. (4xAA)

Although, thats 180-200$. A FX5700 256mb cost 110$, gets around 45 FPS on the same.. only the graphics are notched a bit.

I just don't like ATI. A 6600GT OC'ed a little bit runs better than my friend's x800 PRO... It cost him quite a chunk more.

The 5700 is direct x 8 so it disables LOTS of features in half life 2 like the beautiful reflections.

Get a 6600GT or 9800 pro minimum.

Also the x800pro runs WAY faster than 6600gt OC'ed and it even runs alot faster than the 6800gt in half life 2 because the game isnt opengl (which nvidia is strong in)

Guest baalslament

your best bet will be a geforce 6600gt for only $200 off of newegg, but is your motherboard PCI-E or AGP?

Up ure ram to 1gig and get a radeon 9800 pro 128. theres no point getting 256mb of ram on a crappy card.

Agreed! 128MB on an old card and 256MB on an old card will be very very similar. Unless you're getting a fairly new card 256 is a total waste of cash. And upping your system ram to 1gb would help your system A LOT

Okay, which would be better, assuming AMD 64 3000+ and 512:

ATI Radeon X600 XT 256MB PCI-E or

ATI Radeon 9600XT All-in-wonder

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

How's this...

AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Nvidia 6600GT 128MB PCI-E 16X

80GB HD

1024MB RAM (512x2)

Cold Cathode Neon Blue Light

Would I need any extra case fans? And, if I did, would they be excessively loud and would I want a fan controller to shut them off during low activity?

sigon4.jpg

Looks lika a nice setup. It's a bit hard to know how many case fans you would need, as it depends on the case itself. Also, different fans produces different amounts of noise.

Computer ordered. Ph33r t3h $854 0wnage.

BTW, I use this as proof that Dell is inferior. I got 3yr Warranty and 1yr Onsite Service. Buy CyberPower

XPlorer Mid-Tower Case w/ LCD Temp. Display, Fan Control, Side Window, 2 Case Fans (Black w/ Black Grill)

Blue Cold Cathode Neon Light inside case

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with HyperTransport

MSI K8N Neo4 with 10 USB, 7.1 Surround, 2 PCI-E, 2 Ethernet

1024MB Geil PC3200 DDR 400Mhz Ram (2x512)

80GB 7200 RPM ATA/100 Hard Drive

Leadtek/Winfast NVidia 6600GT 16x PCI-E 128MB

Samsung TS-H522B 16X DVDÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâñR/ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâñRW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER

(but Black)

Black 1.44MB Floppy Drive

Black Internal 6 in 1 Media Writer

Logitech X530 70Watts 5.1 Configuration Speaker System

Black Logitech Keyboard and Wheel Ball Mouse (both PS/2). I hate Optical Mice. This whole thing about the ball getting dirty is nonsense. I want to feel the mouse move when I move it.

Windows XP Pro (free, because my dad is getting the Microsoft Action Pack with 10 XP Pro licenses)

White Samsung 17" Monitor max 1280x1024 (already had it)

This computer could easily own any Dell computer for that price. Somebody price me a Dell with that configuration.

This computer is teh 0wnage for this price. If I screwed up, tell me now, so I can correct it or something.

3 Extra Case Fans

sigon4.jpg

Computer ordered. Ph33r t3h $854 0wnage.

BTW, I use this as proof that Dell is inferior. I got 3yr Warranty and 1yr Onsite Service. Buy CyberPower

XPlorer Mid-Tower Case w/ LCD Temp. Display, Fan Control, Side Window, 2 Case Fans (Black w/ Black Grill)

Blue Cold Cathode Neon Light inside case

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with HyperTransport

MSI K8N Neo4 with 10 USB, 7.1 Surround, 2 PCI-E, 2 Ethernet

1024MB Geil PC3200 DDR 400Mhz Ram (2x512)

80GB 7200 RPM ATA/100 Hard Drive

Leadtek/Winfast NVidia 6600GT 16x PCI-E 128MB

Samsung TS-H522B 16X DVDÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâñR/ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâñRW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER

(but Black)

Black 1.44MB Floppy Drive

Black Internal 6 in 1 Media Writer

Logitech X530 70Watts 5.1 Configuration Speaker System

Black Logitech Keyboard and Wheel Ball Mouse (both PS/2). I hate Optical Mice. This whole thing about the ball getting dirty is nonsense. I want to feel the mouse move when I move it.

Windows XP Pro (free, because my dad is getting the Microsoft Action Pack with 10 XP Pro licenses)

White Samsung 17" Monitor max 1280x1024 (already had it)

This computer could easily own any Dell computer for that price. Somebody price me a Dell with that configuration.

This computer is teh 0wnage for this price. If I screwed up, tell me now, so I can correct it or something.

3 Extra Case Fans

I think you missed the point. I myself have recommended Dell for pre-made computers from a name brand for low end computers. Building your own computer as you have done is always the perferred option if you want the best parts possible for your money.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question - since I got a fan controller as well, will this turn off fans or slow them down or what? And with the system I have (see up two posts), will I need extra case fans?

It should come tomorrow, so please tell me if I screwed up on the cooling so I can run out to Staples and buy fans or whatever.

sigon4.jpg

Damn, can't edit.

Anyway, also, is Media Center Edition an add-on to Windows XP, or an OS in itself? I got it with the Microsoft Action Pack (google for it if you don't know what it is), and I may get a cheap TV Tuner Card in the near future.

sigon4.jpg