Halo Discussion thread

foxbat9

Oh my...

2wdyav4.gif

Far better then the Beta, it had like 3 assassinations which got bland quickly. Perhaps there are some which work at certain areas, like he was next to a ledge, he got thrown over. Maybe like near a wall they slam you right into it, or when you are over water, they stab part of your helmet/neck area, force your head underwater and you drown. Btw apparently Sword Base, along with the others got a lot more graphical polishing, like sword base apparently looks like 100 grenades or a big bomb went off inside of it.

vizardsig-1.png

So, I got an email from Gamestop, I have a chance to enter a raffle for a life sized Spartan Statue.

Oh god...

I have no [bleep]ing place to put this thing if I do win. Which I doubt.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

So, I got an email from Gamestop, I have a chance to enter a raffle for a life sized Spartan Statue.

Oh god...

If you win, I would think you would get some serious money if you sell it after a while. If I won, I would feel like god.

also, here is a few videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vytybvln7_A

With a side by side comparison, it's amazing how much it's improved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuViiXyO0zs

That map is beautiful. I wonder what it would look like with different Color FX... When it comes out, somebody get pictures of it in Gloomy and Juicy. Please <3

Also I noticed the next gen effect during one comic-con video, it lowers the contrast like gloomy, and sharpens it. Nice effect. Just add a Purple FX (for night feel) and that, and we might have the perfect night filter.

vizardsig-1.png

Oh god...

Wear it.

If not, i'll buy it and pay for shipping to the UK and wear it myself.

@Roflzilla

Watch the IGN video showcasing the three new multiplayer mpas, at roughly 1.30 theres an assasination of a spartan spinning another partan 180 degrees, then stabbing him in the top of the head. I watched it about 4 times over before I came to terms with it.

2v8sgvs.png

Wear it.

If not, i'll buy it and pay for shipping to the UK and wear it myself.

You're gonna wear a statue?

I'll hollow it out if I have to.

Is it the chief or, more likely, the one showcased in the 'Birth of a Spartan' Viral campaign?

2v8sgvs.png

Some people took the time to create an advanced object list for Forge World in Sketchup. Some things might be out of porportion, but it will get you really to make a map in Reach. Use this if your a serious forger.

Link to Advanced Objects

[hide= it is a big picture.]

advancedobjects.png

[/hide]

vizardsig-1.png

Weekly update came out yesterday, they added it sneakily. I should have checked Bungie.net more often.

Bungie Weekly Update: 08.13.10

[Hide=Bungie]

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know its not really the 13th yet, but can you blame me for not wanting to pen the update on such a superstitious date? Besides, a good slice of the equipment I need to make these here words appear right before your very eyes, all magically and whatnot, is about to be uprooted for transport tomorrow and our IT Ninjas say they wont have me back up to full speed until late Monday morning. Our studio move isnt over quite yet, people. Its now or never.

Today, well be going with the old show, dont tell approach, but dont think you can sleep at the mouse wheel. While I wont be regaling you with tens of thousands of carefully crafted words, I did snap a pile of pictures to keep you company over the rest of the weekend. Because I love you. So much.

First Up, Forge World

More specifically, the palette of objects youll be able to fiddle with inside the vastness of this totally Forge-worthy space. This isnt the complete list, mind you, but Ive made sure nearly all of the major objects and gadgets are present and accounted for. From the images below, you should be able to extrapolate exactly how many of each particular object you can place on the map at any one given time, and how much the sweet map you're already envisioning may ultimately cost you in overall budget. You have ten thousand bucks to spend.

Note: Typically, when you see a large number associated with a single object, its a group tally. For example, you cant use 100 of each and every block simultaneously. When you place a 1x1, the tally for all objects in that category will decrement by one.

structure_1.jpg

blocks_1.jpg

blocks_2.jpg

blocks_3.jpg

blocks_4.jpg

bridges_plats_1.jpg

bridges_plats_2.jpg

bridges_plats_3.jpg

buildings_1.jpg

buildings_2.jpg

decorative_1.jpg

decorative_2.jpg

doors_win_walls_1.jpg

doors_win_walls_2.jpg

inclines_1.jpg

inclines_2.jpg

natural.jpg

spawning.jpg

gadgets_1.jpg

gadgets_2.jpg

scenery.jpg

Next Stop, Space!

A few curious forum-goers requested that we show off a custom version of Noble Six in a campaign cinematic. Almost as if they didnt believe we'd really swap out the default character model with a hot, custom Armory injection. Well, how bout now?

EOD.jpg

Aren't you a little short for a...never mind.

crotchcam.jpg

Crotch Cam!

Not too sure about all the Spartan up-skirt action in that last shot, but that should seal the deal if you didnt believe our cinematics team would really make it happen. Plus, it gave me an excuse to spend some more time flying around in space. Win, win.

Came From Behind

Nobody asked to see this, but I did notice some oohs and awes over some recently released game footage that shows off a couple of the new assassinations that our amazing animators worked into Reach. You got a taste of some of these kick ass coups de grace in the multiplayer beta back in May, but that was but a mere sampling of the final carnage count. According to animation producer Matt Richenburg, all told there are over forty custom assassinations packed into the shipping product, most multiplayer, some specific to campaign.

Many of them are contextually based upon you and your opponents position (an aerial assassination is very different than a ground and pound), and a few even depend on whether or not you have some ceremonial plasma in your hot little hands. Like so:

paintrain.jpg

Came From Behind!

Space Race

I keep telling Derek I want to show off all of his hard work with an honest to goodness Race-travaganza multimedia blowout. He thinks Im yanking his crank. Im not. I know full well that as soon as we show off some rip roaring, high velocity, all terrain action our pre-order metrics are gonna rocket upwards like so much dirt rooster-tailing from the spinning rear wheels of my brand new M274 ULATV.

But even though Derek still doesnt believe me and Ive yet to secure stage time at a major press event or any airtime on network television, I do have access to a build of Halo: Reach.

Gentlemen, start your engines!

menu.jpg

Racy!

Those who played copious amounts of Halo: CE over LAN are likely already familiar with both Race and Rally. Bam! Whats old is new again, and both gametypes are built right in to Reach.

begin.jpg

Spire is BIG.

The standard rules for Race are simple. Drive towards and through the personal checkpoints highlighted in your HUD, and keep driving until you win. The customized Race HUD will track gate information, lap times, speed (the future is kilometers), time remaining, and what position youre in (if you aint first, youre last).

gate.jpg

In the pipe!

Another interesting wrinkle our good man Derek laid down to make Race all the more interesting: landmines.

Landmines: an Interlude

Whats a landmine? Should be obvious, right? A small, metal platter with a flashing red bulb perched on top like a violent, blood-soaked maraschino cherry on a death-dealing sundae. Youd have to be some kind of moran not to instantly know you need to steer clear.

action_1.jpg

action_4.jpg

action_6.jpg

Get a brain! Anyway, you can place landmines in Forge if you want to add some hazardous happenstance to your multiplayer experience, but in Race, theyre an integral and multifaceted part of the overall experience.

Space Race, Cont'd

splosion.jpg

If youre into tomfoolery, you can elect to plow into them headfirst, as I am often wont to do.

splosion_2.jpg

(Which, by the way, might make for some sweet screenshots if thats your thing.)

landmine.jpg

Or you can expertly buzz the landmine and fly right by.

pass.jpg

If you get close enough without making direct contact, youll prime the landmine for an imminent explosion. If another racer is in hot pursuit, it might just blow up right in their face as you put the hammer down and head off into the sunset. Its kinda like a green turtle shell, only theres way less animal cruelty and absolutely no psychotropic drugs involved (oversized, wild mushrooms are bad, mkay).

close_call_2.jpg

Derek informs me that we can also customize some other aspects of Race to make it an even better experience overall. For example, if you do meet your maker, or spend too much time out of bounds, the game will respawn you on the back of your Mongoose, facing in the right direction.

regroup.jpg

Oh, and yup, you do get some Credits for playing Race. Even if you were playing alone. (I has a sad, but soon, I will have even more awesome armor effectz!)

creditz.jpg

Spend that money, playa!

Mass FX

This week, Derek also told me that my segueing skills sucked big time. Which totally hurt my feelings. But the careful reader will note that mere seconds ago I was writing about Armor Effects and now Im writing about Forge FX and everything is married up seamlessly. You probably didnt even realize I had already changed the subject. Its called being awesome, Derek. Try it sometime.

Where was I? Oh, yeah. Forge FX.

menu_1.jpg

Heres the list of all available options aspiring filmmakers, community cartographers, or overzealous people who just want me to vomit out my eyeballs will now have at their disposal. As you can see, some of our tried and true effects are returning from the Halo 3 darkroom, and some are brand spankin new. Lets break em all down.

Oops, missed one.

menu_2.jpg

There we go.

colorblind.jpg

Colorblind. You know the deal. Grayscale gives your map a more artful feel. Its also well suited for mimes and canines.

green.jpg

Green. This ones new. What you cant tell from the still is that theres a subtly animated distortion effect layered in thatll pair up nicely with some brains for some sweet, succulent Zombie action.

juicy.jpg

Juicy. Coincidentally, Derek has that painted on the back of his sweatpants. Which he subsequently rolls at the waist.

next_gen.jpg

Next Gen is back and better than ever. Not only is it still dark and gritty, but now it comes with a grain filter that makes for an even more filmic experience. Its totally bleak. Just like we hear real war is.

nova.jpg

Whoa. Hey, Nova. Be right back. Gotta get some aspirin. If you have your television's picture unfortunately set to "Vivid" or "Dynamic," you can probably catch a tan from this effect.

old_timey.jpg

Back in my day, the Olde Timey effect was all static, but this new and improved version adds some post processing degradation that simulates the visual imperfections found in well aged 35mm celluloid.

orange.jpg

Orange. Subtle, yet soothing. Think twilight, without all the glittering, oversexed vampires.

pen_and_ink.jpg

Pen and Ink. Its like a Rorschach Test. Pretty sure I see Pizza the Hut on the left hand side of this shot.

purple.jpg

Purple is dark and moody with that under cover of night vibe. We cant blot out the sun, but if you pretend its merely a really bright moon, the effect is nearly perfect.

[/hide]

vizardsig-1.png

I guess they removed the 4th BEEEP when respawning... Huh.

Also, I love it how the Assault Rifle doesn't sound like a baby rattle anymore.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

I can't help but wish that there will be a race mode... only in outer space. Would be so epic. 1 person flying, two others gunning, with... idk, 4 teams of 3? Would be awesome if you were good at flying. Fly towards the point that is floating while gunning other ships down... I wouldn't play much else lol.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

I can't help but wish that there will be a race mode... only in outer space. Would be so epic. 1 person flying, two others gunning, with... idk, 4 teams of 3? Would be awesome if you were good at flying. Fly towards the point that is floating while gunning other ships down... I wouldn't play much else lol.

They said Space Combat won't be in Multiplayer, which probably includes race. I thought of an idea that could work; perhaps on Zealot you go to the space area, and simply build some big racetrack, not the same as flying a spaceship but it'll work. With the lower gravity Mongoose's would be confusing to drive.

vizardsig-1.png

[hide=May contain disturbing content.]2ljkmj9.jpg[/hide]

Oh my...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1nzXkm4ZaI

I <3: Waypoint. Atleast they don't make the press use people with the intelligence of a piece of monkey crap play it, and showing like 10 seconds of a clip like IGN. I also loved how one guy used a hologram on a lift. I also noticed a distinctive metal sound when somebody is meleed. Love that little minor effect.

vizardsig-1.png